Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-19-2007, 09:38 AM   #701
Logan
Head Coach

Oliver Perez continues to impress. What I liked best was how last week against MIL, he was unhittable with electric stuff: 8.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 6 K. So last night comes around, and it's clear from the start that he's not hitting his spots. But instead of walking the park, he bears down and just gets outs. 7.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R on a Matsui HR, 2 BB, 5 K. Great sign for a young pitcher.

As soon as his pitches started flying around in the 1st, I was sure the Yanks would have a 9 spot up by the 5th. Good job kid.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:21 AM   #702
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I love it when the Pads are the only ones to win in the division as happened last night.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:30 AM   #703
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
And 3 of 4 of them were from the A's. Thanks!

Almost stole the 4th game but we'll take 3 of 4 any day.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:31 PM   #704
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Oliver Perez continues to impress. What I liked best was how last week against MIL, he was unhittable with electric stuff: 8.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 6 K. So last night comes around, and it's clear from the start that he's not hitting his spots. But instead of walking the park, he bears down and just gets outs. 7.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R on a Matsui HR, 2 BB, 5 K. Great sign for a young pitcher.

As soon as his pitches started flying around in the 1st, I was sure the Yanks would have a 9 spot up by the 5th. Good job kid.

Yeah, he's been doing a really good job. I knew he was better than his record last year, but he's really exceeding my expectations.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:39 PM   #705
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Red Sox: 7
Braves: baffled by Dice-K

Mike Lowell just hit a slam over the monster in the 5th.
ATL's starter lasted 2 innings
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #706
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Rick Peterson deserves a lifetime contract for the work he's done with Perez (and Glavine, and El Duque, and Maine). When they got him he was in AAA topping out at 85-87mph and couldn't get the ball over the plate. Now he's back to 92-94mph with amazing movement. He also has just 16 walks in 49.2 innings, with 7 of those walks coming in a short outing a few starts ago.

I noticed he didn't exactly have his best stuff yesterday, too, and I expected a very short outing and a Mets loss. Was nice to see him last into the 8th only allowing the homer to Matsui. He's always been a pitcher with #1 starter stuff, now he's actually learning how to pitch.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 04:25 PM   #707
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Watched the end of the Yankees game. So much fun. They lose the first game against the Mets with Pettitte on the mound, and now have to face Glavine and Maine with Razner and some dude making his MLB debut.

Rasner out with a fractured finger in the 1st. Yankees gonna have to find another starter.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:26 PM   #708
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/19/sp.../19giambi.html

Quote:
Because Giambi was speaking publicly about steroids for the first time and did not say he was misquoted, Commissioner Bud Selig will investigate the matter and will probably ask to meet with him for clarification. Some Yankees executives spoke with Major League Baseball officials yesterday about Giambi’s remarks and possible ramifications, but neither side would discuss specifics.

“I think the commissioner’s office is going to be looking into it, so at this point, I just can’t comment on it,” General Manager Brian Cashman said.

Pat Courtney, a spokesman for Major League Baseball, would not say if Selig planned to meet with Giambi. If he wants to punish Giambi, Selig could try to invoke his authority regarding “the best interests of baseball,” which has been used by commissioners in the past.

This has no legs. No way they can void his contract without any evidence of stuff that happened YEARS ago.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:37 PM   #709
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/19/sp.../19giambi.html

This has no legs. No way they can void his contract without any evidence of stuff that happened YEARS ago.

Not exactly the best way to encourage cooperation with the Mitchell investigation....
Old 05-20-2007, 02:39 PM   #710
Schmidty
Coordinator

Nice sweep by the Tigs over the Cards.

They're just getting warmed up it seems....
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:59 PM   #711
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Not exactly the best way to encourage cooperation with the Mitchell investigation....

Yeah, really... I mean Giambi has probably been more honest about steroids in baseball in a 2 second quote than the rest of the sport has been over the last decade. To try to void his contract over that is absolutely absurd.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:33 PM   #712
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Red Sox: 7
Braves: baffled by Dice-K

Mike Lowell just hit a slam over the monster in the 5th.
ATL's starter lasted 2 innings

And the Braves return the favor in the nightcap.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:43 PM   #713
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yeah, really... I mean Giambi has probably been more honest about steroids in baseball in a 2 second quote than the rest of the sport has been over the last decade. To try to void his contract over that is absolutely absurd.

His honesty is coming across as very fake to me. He has an agenda that he's playing to get some public support.

If you read the interview with USA Today he admits to using steroids, but then goes on to say steroids don't help hitters. That leads me to believe he still doesn't think he did anything wrong or its just not that big of a deal, he just wants wants some positive publicity. Also, if steroids didn't help hitters, why is he calling on the people that used to appologize?

Now, trying to void his contract is absurd and if baseball is going to investigate and try to suspend him its even worse. Baseball has an ongoing investigation in which they've publicly complained about lack of cooperation from players and ballclubs. Why the hell would anyone cooperate if they're going to use that information to void contracts and suspend players?
Old 05-20-2007, 03:46 PM   #714
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I don't understand why, years after the fact, he'd bring it back up to "get some public support". Seems to me, you'd just keep your mouth shut about it and let other people get tagged. It wasn't like he was in any danger of losing his job or anything.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:50 PM   #715
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I don't understand why, years after the fact, he'd bring it back up to "get some public support". Seems to me, you'd just keep your mouth shut about it and let other people get tagged. It wasn't like he was in any danger of losing his job or anything.

Exactly. I think the guy is truly remorseful and that he's telling the truth. If you've watched carefully over the past few weeks, more and more guys -- under the radar -- are making comments basically saying, "I play baseball. I do this for a living. You're not telling me that this is going to put a guy over the top." And then usually, in reference to the Bonds discussion, they basically say what a lot of us have been saying all along.

If he's juiced and is still doing crap that no one else has come CLOSE to doing, how can you single him out?

But regardless, I think Giambi should be left alone. MLB is a joke, Selig is a scumbag and they need to just go ahead, embrace what's been said here and move on. No one really cares and we all know that they're not going to expunge their records -- nor should they.

The steroid era is an ugly time, we all know that. But given that we'll never know the "truth", trying to conduct a witchhunt for the purposes of appeasing losers in Congress who are too busy ignoring what we've sent them there for, is far more phony than any apology from Giambi.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:28 PM   #716
MrBug708
Head Coach

Somehow the Dodgers lose three straight to the Angels. Such a farcry from last year where the Dodgers managed to go 4-2. Such is the life I guess.

It was good to see the Angels using the Dodgers to set attendance records though...
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:34 PM   #717
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Somehow the Dodgers lose three straight to the Angels. Such a farcry from last year where the Dodgers managed to go 4-2. Such is the life I guess.

It was good to see the Angels using the Dodgers to set attendance records though...

Somehow? You must not have paid attention. 19-4. That was the collective score of the series. The Angels didn't "somehow" win. They thrashed the Dodgers in every phase of the game.

Last year is last year. Sad that you feel you must go to last year or to ripping attendance figures to make you feel better about your team. But then when the scoreboard looks like that, I guess you'll go far lengths to find small straws of moral victory grasp at.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:45 PM   #718
MrBug708
Head Coach

lol

Too predictable...

The Dodgers bats are cold and the Angels hit well. Too many things went right for the Angels. I have no qualms about that, it's the nature of the game
Old 05-20-2007, 06:08 PM   #719
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Exactly. I think the guy is truly remorseful and that he's telling the truth. If you've watched carefully over the past few weeks, more and more guys -- under the radar -- are making comments basically saying, "I play baseball. I do this for a living. You're not telling me that this is going to put a guy over the top." And then usually, in reference to the Bonds discussion, they basically say what a lot of us have been saying all along.

I don't see how a guy can be considered remorseful when in the same interview that he appologizes he tries to lessen the impact of what he did. Is that really remorse?

To call out baseball and other players to appologize when he doesn't see it as something that even helps players is lo. Its a way of taking the moral high ground so he feels better about himself and to get fan support. Nothing to do with remorse.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:12 PM   #720
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
lol

Too predictable...

The Dodgers bats are cold and the Angels hit well. Too many things went right for the Angels. I have no qualms about that, it's the nature of the game

If you mean, "too predictable" in that I would respond to you disrespecting my team, yeah, glad to be predictable. Better that than taking pot shots at the team that just wiped the outfield grass with yours.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-20-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #721
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
If you mean, "too predictable" in that I would respond to you disrespecting my team, yeah, glad to be predictable. Better that than taking pot shots at the team that just wiped the outfield grass with yours.

Your comments are much more disrespectful then mine were but *shrugs*
Old 05-20-2007, 07:04 PM   #722
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Your comments are much more disrespectful then mine were but *shrugs*

Dude, you're kidding, right? Unprovoked, you come on and take digs at the Angels after they beat your team bad. Do you really think your actions have no consequences? Are you that blind to the lunacy of your posts? If I am disrespectful, it is only because I am reacting in kind. Your actions deserve no better.

At last I resorted to the most recent and relevant and spoke about the teams on the field now. You had to take shots at the fans and last year's team.

The Dodgers are actually my second favorite team. My brother is a diehard fan. Although I want my Angels to win, I know this sweep hurts him, and for him as well as my secondary allegiance, I feel bad that it hasn't been so close.

But fans like you are the reason why there is hate between otherwise perfectly harmonious franchises who for the most part co-exist in the same are peacefully.

My good luck to the Dodgers and to their fans who don't resort to the sorts of psost you make. My comments are in no way a reflection of how I actualyl feel about the Dodgers or their general fan base. It is entirely reserved for pathetic fan bashing like Bug did.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:19 PM   #723
MrBug708
Head Coach

Why? The Dodgers, heading into this series, had a better record then the Angels. The matchups failed the Dodgers. Again, I tip my hat at the Angels for beating the Dodgers rather surprisingly.

As for the fans, I can remember when the Angels had hardly anyone at the games. Now it's full of bandwagon fans who seem to think that the Angels are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm sorry if you took offense to anything I said, but the Angels fans (wasn't really including you to start with but whatever) are on the whole, not a really intelligent group of fans who really seem to think baseball is a rather new concept. I liken thtem to USC fans barely hoping on the bandwagon and couldn't tell you who Mike Van Raphorst (spelling might be off)
Old 05-20-2007, 07:33 PM   #724
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Why? The Dodgers, heading into this series, had a better record then the Angels. The matchups failed the Dodgers. Again, I tip my hat at the Angels for beating the Dodgers rather surprisingly.

As for the fans, I can remember when the Angels had hardly anyone at the games. Now it's full of bandwagon fans who seem to think that the Angels are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm sorry if you took offense to anything I said, but the Angels fans (wasn't really including you to start with but whatever) are on the whole, not a really intelligent group of fans who really seem to think baseball is a rather new concept. I liken thtem to USC fans barely hoping on the bandwagon and couldn't tell you who Mike Van Raphorst (spelling might be off)

I see, it's matchups why you guys lost, huh? Can't be because the Angels are a better team, I guess. It just goes to show how amazing matchups are when they can explain away a 15-run deficit over three games. If you didn't again downplay the Angels with your first sentences, I suppose I would find your "tip of the hat" more believable.

I can remember when there was hardly anyone here, too. I can remember when there was hardly anyone at Dodgers games, too. And Raiders games. And Rams games. And UCLA games. And USC games. And...do you get my point? Only team in this area that draws well at all times regardless of record is the Lakers. Don't mistake the Angels fans as somehow being any more bandwagonish than the rest of the Sourthern California. This has always been a fair weather town, and you know it.

Angels fans are no more or less intelligent than other fans. I'm not going to bash a whole group of fans because of my impressions on a few. It's sad that you have no such qualms to having bigoted views like that.

I would further dismiss your impression, too, because I would guess that since you are from San Gabriel Valley, you don't have much of a clue about the Angels' primary fanbase anyway (Orange County).
Old 05-20-2007, 07:41 PM   #725
MrBug708
Head Coach

I live in San Gabriel Valeey, but it doesnt mean I'm not privy to the Orange County Matt.

And when was the time the Dodgers didn't have a very good attendance record? You do know that more people have seen the Dodgers then any other sports franchise...
Old 05-20-2007, 07:46 PM   #726
Atocep
Coordinator

Is Tyler Clippard pitching for the Yankees or Clay Aiken?
Old 05-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #727
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I live in San Gabriel Valeey, but it doesnt mean I'm not privy to the Orange County Matt.

And when was the time the Dodgers didn't have a very good attendance record? You do know that more people have seen the Dodgers then any other sports franchise...

To be fair, if they measured attendance in either the 2nd or the 8th inning...
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #728
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Is Tyler Clippard pitching for the Yankees or Clay Aiken?

Either way, he's doing pretty well.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:59 PM   #729
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Lot easier to see a team when it's right smack in the middle of the second largest population center in the country with 56,000 capacity, isn't it? Given the games played, their location, their longevity and the size of the stadium, I should darn well hope they were seen bya lot of people. Your statement is kinda like "you do know that the Yankees make more money than any other franchise...". Well, duuuuuuuuuhhhhh...

Even when they are drawing at their top levels, the Dodgers average about 80% capacity. And that's paying numbers--LA corporations do a lot of the buying of the pricier spots, and those seats like as not don't even get filled.

Meanwhile, the Angels are 90% or more pretty much every night except the odd Tuesday, and have been for five years running now. And those seats are filled, a sea of red.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:21 AM   #730
MrBug708
Head Coach

I could have sworn that the Angels player in the middle of the second largest population center in the country. And yes the Dodgers do average more in a bigger stadium, but seeing as how the Angels don't sell out their own staidum, what good would a 56K stadium do for the Angels?
Old 05-21-2007, 12:28 AM   #731
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I could have sworn that the Angels player in the middle of the second largest population center in the country. And yes the Dodgers do average more in a bigger stadium, but seeing as how the Angels don't sell out their own staidum, what good would a 56K stadium do for the Angels?

More seats means more cheap seats. By and large it's the same number of seats close to the field. It's in the upper levels and around the stadium that seats are added. There is a logjam to get tickets for most Angels games, and getting tickets for prime series (Oakland, Dodgers, Yanks, Red Sox) is practically impossible if yoiu weren't there the day one-day tickets went on sale.

I could walk up to the Dodger Stadium box office and buy a ticket that day to see them play the Giants. The Giants!

And if you think Anaheim is in the middle of the population center, you really are out of touch with where Orange County is, for all your sworn knowledge of it. There are about 15 M people within 45 mins drive of Dodger Stadium. It's probably closer to 6-7 at best for Angel Stadium, as West LA and the Valley are certainly not in convenient driving time to the OC, and Riverside isn't populous enough at all to make up the difference.

We're more off to the side. You can't view downtown LA from any of the hills near Angel Stadium.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:34 AM   #732
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Watching MrBug and ChiefRum go at it is pretty much better than anything that has ever happened.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:46 AM   #733
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Watching MrBug and ChiefRum go at it is pretty much better than anything that has ever happened.

What's really funny is that it seemed to be a pretty innocuous statement that started it all.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:52 AM   #734
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

I agree. Somehow, he got himself back in the good graces of Yankees fans and even most baseball fans long before this. This statement was unnecessary, but seemed to be a "too little, too late" comment that might get him in some trouble. I find it hilarious that baseball appears to be ignoring the leaked testimony as if they've never read it before, then the guy makes a pretty generic reference to what everyone already knows, and MLB reacts like he's dropped a bomb. I realize they can't use the testimony to do something to him, but any investigation of him could - and should - have been precipitated by the testimony, not some generic mea culpa years later.

If this is the best George Mitchell can do, then it seems to be at cross-purposes with moving forward on this issue. People wanted McGwire to come clean - and I realize he's retired, so there's not much they can do - but if he were to admit having taken something other than andro during 1998, you have to wonder what action MLB would take. It seems baseball really is on a witch hunt, and that's all they care about. This isn't about getting to the truth of how this all happened, it's about finding as many cheaters as they can so they can appear to be the good guys in the public eye.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:12 AM   #735
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
I agree. Somehow, he got himself back in the good graces of Yankees fans and even most baseball fans long before this. This statement was unnecessary, but seemed to be a "too little, too late" comment that might get him in some trouble. I find it hilarious that baseball appears to be ignoring the leaked testimony as if they've never read it before, then the guy makes a pretty generic reference to what everyone already knows, and MLB reacts like he's dropped a bomb. I realize they can't use the testimony to do something to him, but any investigation of him could - and should - have been precipitated by the testimony, not some generic mea culpa years later.

If this is the best George Mitchell can do, then it seems to be at cross-purposes with moving forward on this issue. People wanted McGwire to come clean - and I realize he's retired, so there's not much they can do - but if he were to admit having taken something other than andro during 1998, you have to wonder what action MLB would take. It seems baseball really is on a witch hunt, and that's all they care about. This isn't about getting to the truth of how this all happened, it's about finding as many cheaters as they can so they can appear to be the good guys in the public eye.

Was there ever any doubt about this part? The MLB wants it both ways. They want to pretend that nobody knew anything about the performence enhancing drugs on one end and that they can be the heros in cleaning it up on the other.

All of that said, even the people who want someone to admit it and say they'll forgive the guys who do have to be disgusted by Giambi. The jack ass spends a couple of hours crying and apologizing for, oh, nothing a few years ago. Now he wants some kind of merit badge for it. He also wants to say that they really didn't help him.

Ummm. . . hey moron:

1) If you didn't think they helped and had no proof that they helped, why did you tae them? Why did you continue taking them?

2) You've NEVER apologized for taking them. Get that through your head now. If you want to do so, hold a press conference and say "I'm sorry for taking performence enhancing drugs." Then go out and speak to schools, american legion teams, minor leagues and be a part of the solution of removing them from the game. That's saying your sorry and backing it up by being a part of the long term solution to the problem.

3) Barring that, maybe you should just keep your mouth shut, especially when you are in a 1-24 slump, slugging at a .431 clip and not really helping a team that owes you a boatload of money the next few years.

This guy is beyond clueless. What a moron.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:23 AM   #736
Ksyrup

Sadly, when placed next to the other "known" cheaters, the guy does come off like a saint.

The comment that they didn't help him hit the baseball is, of course, ridiculous. First, they have some effect on the ability to recuperate, no? And second, no one says he couldn't hit. But whether they helped him hit the ball further? I don't see him saying he'd have the same slugging percentage without the stuff. The "steroids can't help you hit the baseball" argument is such a cop out and purposely ignores the (supposed) effects of the stuff.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-21-2007 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:21 AM   #737
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Sadly, when placed next to the other "known" cheaters, the guy does come off like a saint.

I really hope that is not the case.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:42 AM   #738
Ksyrup

I don't know...put him next to Palmeiro, and what do you have? One guy offers vague "I'm sorry" comments, the other definitively says he didn't do it, then tested positive and says he has no idea how it happened and it must have been something a teammate, who he names, gave him. It's not difficult to look good next to most of these guys, even if his motive is shady.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:35 AM   #739
Vince
Pro Starter

Bengie Molina is freaking cool. I love this guy.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:21 AM   #740
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
Bengie Molina is freaking cool. I love this guy.

Hands off! No matter uniform he wears, he will always be an Angel.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:23 AM   #741
Ksyrup

If a record's broken and no one pays attention to it, does it still count? I remember how much play the Sandberg thing got at the time. The Twins people need to do a better job of promoting their players. Yeesh!

Castillo sets errorless streak at 2b

Last update: May 22, 2007 – 1:27 AM

Twins second baseman Luis Castillo set a major league record last week, and nobody knew it until Monday.

Castillo entered Monday riding a streak of 129 games without an error, the longest ever for a major league second baseman, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. The previous record was 123 games, by Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg of the Cubs.

Twins media relations manager Dustin Morse checked with Elias about the record Monday and discovered Castillo already had set it.

Entering Monday, Castillo had gone 588 chances without an error, with 350 assists and 238 putouts, including 66 double plays.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-22-2007 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:29 AM   #742
Butter
Coordinator

The Sandberg record was a joke, as he would botch a number of plays during the season, but NEVER got charged for an error at Wrigley.

That makes me question any errorless streak, and whether or not the player who sets it got hometown scoring help or not.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:37 AM   #743
Ksyrup

Well, unless the Twins' official scorer was keeping track, I doubt anyone noticed this streak.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:03 AM   #744
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hands off! No matter uniform he wears, he will always be an Angel.

As much as that pains me...

...the guy is a great interview, he's totally team-centric, and doesn't like to take credit for anything he's done. He's practically automatic with 2-outs and men on base, and he calls a fantastic game behind the plate. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but I think he also has a lot to do with our pitching staff putting it all together this season. He really is one of the best acquisitions the Giants made in the offseason.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:26 AM   #745
Ksyrup

Given how vocal ownership/management was about the Gary Matthews thing, I find this to be impossible to believe:

Angels interested in Giambi

Posted: Tuesday May 22, 2007 11:47AM ET

Major League Baseball isn't the only outfit interested in Jason Giambi. According to a person with knowledge of the Angels' thinking, the AL West leaders have an interest in acquiring the Yankees' DH to bolster a lineup that is last in the league in home runs.
New York Post
Old 05-22-2007, 03:44 PM   #746
Ksyrup

Quote:
I see him as an overwight pitcher who will break down once he gets into his late 20s, early 30s. He might win the Cy YOung one year, but then he'll go down like Colon the next. Not the guy I'd want to put a ton of money behind for 5-7 years.

Just following up on my comments about Zambrano from several weeks back, check out the discussion/video of Zambrano's arm slot. The speculation is that he may be hurting. Same with Papelbon, as well.

hxxp://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/carlos-zambranos-lower-arm-slot-cause-for-concern/
Old 05-22-2007, 03:47 PM   #747
Logan
Head Coach

Just following up that I'm still desperately trying to trade off Zambrano before he's officially injured.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:52 PM   #748
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Just following up on my comments about Zambrano from several weeks back, check out the discussion/video of Zambrano's arm slot. The speculation is that he may be hurting. Same with Papelbon, as well.

hxxp://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/carlos-zambranos-lower-arm-slot-cause-for-concern/

Yep, a few pages back I said he looked like he was hurting. I've watched him pitch 3 or 4 times this year and his velocity isn't anywhere near what is used to be and he's wearing down at around the 90 pitch mark.

Probably the real reason the Cubs pulled their contract off the table. Though that is probably giving Hendry too much credit.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #749
Ksyrup

Quote:
Probably the real reason the Cubs pulled their contract off the table. Though that is probably giving Hendry too much credit.

I think it is. All indications are that the deal is/was done, and the higher-ups have sat on it.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:08 PM   #750
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
As much as that pains me...

...the guy is a great interview, he's totally team-centric, and doesn't like to take credit for anything he's done. He's practically automatic with 2-outs and men on base, and he calls a fantastic game behind the plate. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but I think he also has a lot to do with our pitching staff putting it all together this season. He really is one of the best acquisitions the Giants made in the offseason.

He's one of those tremendously underrated team players that can't be spoken of enough. And a good guy to boot. Of course, that was one of the reasons the Angels caught on so fast around here--guys like Molina, AK, Salmon, Erstad, Washburn, Eckstein and Speizio were here; all gamers, all 100% effort, all team. Strange fact--number of them still with team? Zero.

We have new gamers (philosophy is still the same), but those guys are gone.

Back to Molina, he is terrific calling a ballgame and handling a staff. Always has been. He has deserved more Gold Gloves than he has won (hard to win when Pudge is usually in the same league as you), had a very strong arm and was an underrated hitter. Piazza has spoiled baseball fans. A catcher who hit 10-15 HRs a year AND played great defense used to be a real gem. Now you're forgotten if you don't hit at least 20-25.

Molina has always had some clutchiness to his hitting, but it wasn't until recently (last few years with the Angels) that he really started doing well in pressure situations. I didn't think you could "learn" that.

Favorite play involving Bengie ever was one three years ago where there was a runner on third and K-Rod was on the mound. One of K-Rod's sliders completely got away with him and hit the dirt in front of the base. The ball squirted off to the right, about halfway to the on deck circle. The runner on third broke for home. Molina raced to the ball, and K-Rod ran to cover home. Without looking back, Molina grabbed the ball and backflipped it toward home. K-Rod caught the ball, sliding into home ahead of the runner to shield the plate, and tagged the guy out. Wow. We won that game (I think it was against the Indians) 2-1, and we barely won the division that year (it was the Guillen year where we won eight in a row to catch both the Rangers and A's).

That play was amazing and it didn't even make Baseball Tonight's Plays of the Year. Stupid ESPN.

Molina's great. Keep him as long as you can.