Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-24-2023, 04:17 PM   #451
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Dean Phillips, a Democratic congressman from Minnesota, is announcing Friday he is entering the primaries against Biden. He resigned his leadership post a couple of weeks ago saying he was angry the party wasn't putting a candidate up against Biden, and I guess it should come as no surprise that he meant that candidate to be himself.

Btw: His slogan is going to be "Make America Affordable Again!". I don't think aping the Trump slogan is going to win you over to Democrats, but I will say that I think a "It's the grocery store, stupid" focus is pretty solid.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-24-2023 at 04:20 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 04:18 PM   #452
RainMaker
General Manager

Pritzker should have run but I'm guessing he's going to go in 2028.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 05:41 PM   #453
GrantDawg

Rainmaker, I think anybody that really wants to be President in the future has no interest in pissing off the party now by challenging a sitting President. I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have a true alternative, but no one is really has a shot to take out an incumbent.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2023, 07:53 AM   #454
Edward64
Head Coach

Wed, Nov 8 for Debate #3.

Pence & Scott have not made the cut-off yet.

Quote:
So far, five candidates have hit the Republican National Committee’s increasingly stringent requirements to make it onto the debate stage. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy, former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley and former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie have all qualified, as has the current frontrunner, former President Donald Trump — who is set to again skip the debate in favor of his own rally in nearby Hialeah, Fla.

Former Vice President Mike Pence, meanwhile, has met the polling requirements but still needs to hit the 70,000-donor mark. Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) has yet to hit either threshold, according to POLITCO’s analysis, though his campaign has claimed he has met the polling requirements.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 08:08 AM   #455
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Trump is leading by 40-50 points. Cancel the debates.
Old 10-28-2023, 01:41 PM   #456
GrantDawg

Mike Pence has suspended his Presidential campaign. Didn't even make it to the first vote.
Old 10-28-2023, 02:06 PM   #457
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

He should be forced to carry his campaign to term.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 02:20 PM   #458
bronconick
College Starter

Mother is heartbroken.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 03:11 PM   #459
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

You win this thread for today, lol
Old 10-28-2023, 03:25 PM   #460
Thomkal
Head Coach

I guess thoughts and prayers didn't work for Pence either.
Old 10-28-2023, 03:30 PM   #461
Atocep
Coordinator

I still have no idea what kind of campaign Pence was trying to run and how he thought whatever he was doing could win.

His only chance, and it was a remote one, was to come out swinging and tell people how he had a first hand view of how awful of a leader Trump was. Spill the tea, try to convince enough voters that he's a godless charlatan that lacks morals. Nothing else was going to work.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 03:49 PM   #462
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I still have no idea what kind of campaign Pence was trying to run and how he thought whatever he was doing could win.

His only chance, and it was a remote one, was to come out swinging and tell people how he had a first hand view of how awful of a leader Trump was. Spill the tea, try to convince enough voters that he's a godless charlatan that lacks morals. Nothing else was going to work.

Yeah embrace Christian nationalism, tell everyone that Trump never went to church but played golf instead. Make himself the leader Christians wanted to follow, but instead we got blah Pence. I wonder when/if Trump goes to jail, gets 14th Amendment from running again, he'll restart his campaign.
Old 10-28-2023, 03:51 PM   #463
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Yeah embrace Christian nationalism, tell everyone that Trump never went to church but played golf instead. Make himself the leader Christians wanted to follow, but instead we got blah Pence. I wonder when/if Trump goes to jail, gets 14th Amendment from running again, he'll restart his campaign.

What's so confusing about how these candidates are handling Trump is that at least one of them may end up on a debate stage with him. What's their plan then? Do they think Trump is going to say nice things about them and tip toe around issues?
Old 10-28-2023, 04:15 PM   #464
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
What's so confusing about how these candidates are handling Trump is that at least one of them may end up on a debate stage with him. What's their plan then? Do they think Trump is going to say nice things about them and tip toe around issues?

They all will suspend their campaigns if Trump ever goes to a debate, because then they will all have to tell everyone how horrible he would be if he got back to the Oval Office, Better to just kiss the ring and move on.
Old 10-28-2023, 04:47 PM   #465
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

The thing with Christian nationalists is they don't actually care about the Christian part that much. The fact that Trump and all his vices got the support of evangelicals tells you all you need to know.

Pence is a dumb guy who probably thought some straight talk would turn people around. But I think most of the other candidates are just trying to get their name out there for a 2028 run (Haley, Vivek) or angling for the VP spot (Scott). DeSantis was the only one who had a reasonable shot but he ran maybe the worst campaign in history.
Old 10-29-2023, 05:01 AM   #466
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Quote:
I guess thoughts and prayers didn't work for Pence either.

Outstanding, gentlemen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Pence is a dumb guy who probably thought some straight talk would turn people around.

This is my take, as well. And, to be fair, this got him pretty far, so why not try and keep it up?

Quote:
DeSantis was the only one who had a reasonable shot but he ran maybe the worst campaign in history.

Rudy Giuliani from 2008 would like a word.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 06:46 AM   #467
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think DeSantis was worse. And that's saying something.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 10:18 AM   #468
GrantDawg

Jeb!
Old 10-29-2023, 11:08 AM   #469
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

There are definitely a bunch of good candidates. Clinton in 08 & 16 also needs to be in the running, although mostly on hubris.
Old 11-04-2023, 08:25 PM   #470
Ksyrup

He's relishing this.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-05-2023, 08:06 AM   #471
Edward64
Head Coach

TBH I'm not sure why RFK is getting a 22% support. It probably won't last but it's an interesting situation.

Access to this page has been denied
Quote:
Independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. appears to pull more support from former President Trump than President Biden in a hypothetical general election matchup, according to a new poll.

A Quinnipiac University poll released Wednesday showed Biden narrowly ahead of Trump by 1 point — 47 percent to 46 percent, within the margin of error — in a head-to-head matchup. But with Kennedy in a three-way race, Biden is ahead with 39 percent to Trump’s 36 percent and Kennedy’s 22 percent.
Old 11-05-2023, 08:12 AM   #472
GrantDawg

It's the grocery store, stupid.
Old 11-05-2023, 08:18 AM   #473
GrantDawg

Trump is going to win the White House because this old m-fer didn't know when to step aside:
Old 11-05-2023, 10:21 AM   #474
Ksyrup

Now:

"I've proven I can beat Trump."

November 8th-ish:

"Damn, I thought for sure I'd win again."

At least we'll now have a replacement for Thanks, Obama!
Old 11-05-2023, 10:49 AM   #475
jcard
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Dean Phillips, a Democratic congressman from Minnesota, is announcing Friday he is entering the primaries against Biden. He resigned his leadership post a couple of weeks ago saying he was angry the party wasn't putting a candidate up against Biden, and I guess it should come as no surprise that he meant that candidate to be himself.

Btw: His slogan is going to be "Make America Affordable Again!". I don't think aping the Trump slogan is going to win you over to Democrats, but I will say that I think a "It's the grocery store, stupid" focus is pretty solid.

MA’AM?
jcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 12:47 PM   #476
RainMaker
General Manager

He's cooked.

Old 11-05-2023, 01:59 PM   #477
RainMaker
General Manager

This is insane. 13 point gap between Biden and generic Dem.

Old 11-05-2023, 03:20 PM   #478
GrantDawg

That's not a surprised though. "No set candidate" always fair better than an actual human. Voters project their own values to "no set candidate", and that magic candidate has no negative traits that any human is going to have.
Old 11-05-2023, 03:25 PM   #479
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's not a surprised though. "No set candidate" always fair better than an actual human. Voters project their own values to "no set candidate", and that magic candidate has no negative traits that any human is going to have.

Y'aint wrong.

It's similar to how the broad national "generic R vs generic D" poll stuff has very little bearing on actual outcomes ... because those two don't run against each other and we don't vote on a single precinct basis.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:51 PM   #480
GrantDawg

I have to admit that the guy just seems so awkward at being a human I'm almost feeling sorry for him.
Old 11-08-2023, 03:37 PM   #481
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Trump is going to win the White House because this old m-fer didn't know when to step aside:

He's basically LBJ in 67 at this point.
Old 11-12-2023, 09:15 PM   #482
Edward64
Head Coach

And then there was 4 + 1

Tim Scott gone.
Old 11-13-2023, 06:26 AM   #483
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

So his "girlfriend" will only be kept around as long as he has a VP shot, right?
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 06:28 AM   #484
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The election is a year away. There's bad news for Biden to be sure, but it's far from over.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 06:46 AM   #485
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
And then there was 4 + 1

Tim Scott gone.
When Tim Scott's girlfriend was asked for comment, she said "He told you I was his WHAT?"

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-13-2023 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:40 AM   #486
Edward64
Head Coach

Can't a guy catch a break with all you critics.

Quote:
A campaign official would only confirm that the woman on stage was indeed Scott’s girlfriend and her name is “Mindy.” Online sleuthing points to the person as being Mindy Noce, a Charleston-area interior designer and mother of three.

After the debate, Scott, a 58-year old bachelor, confirmed that he had brought his girlfriend to the event, telling reporters that the two have been dating “about a year.”
Old 11-13-2023, 08:11 AM   #487
GrantDawg

Quote:
Can't a guy catch a break with all you critics.
The rest of the article:
Quote:
You can see Mindy's next theatrical performance when she plays "Miss Adeliade" in the Charleston City Players rendition of "Guys and Dolls".
Old 11-13-2023, 08:18 AM   #488
Ksyrup

Started dating 5-6 months before he announced his candidacy. Seems to be about the right timeline in preparation for such things...
Old 11-16-2023, 01:57 PM   #489
Edward64
Head Coach

Haley doing well in New Hampshire.

CNN Poll: Trump holds significant lead in New Hampshire GOP primary, while Haley moves into second place | CNN Politics
Quote:
Former President Donald Trump maintains a significant lead among likely voters in New Hampshire’s Republican presidential primary, but former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley has moved ahead of Trump’s other rivals and holds second place, according to a new CNN Poll conducted by the University of New Hampshire.
I'm calling it ... Ramaswamy is done.

Quote:
Haley’s support has climbed 8 percentage points from the last CNN/UNH poll in September, with Ramaswamy dipping 5 points and support for Trump, Christie and DeSantis remaining relatively steady.
Looking forward to mid-January

Quote:
New Hampshire Secretary of State David Scanlan announced Wednesday that the state’s first-in-the-nation primary would be held on January 23, about a week after Iowa’s caucuses kick off the GOP nomination contest.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-16-2023 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-16-2023, 02:05 PM   #490
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Haley doing well in New Hampshire.

CNN Poll: Trump holds significant lead in New Hampshire GOP primary, while Haley moves into second place | CNN Politics

I'm calling it ... Ramaswamy is done.

Looking forward to mid-January

Vivek would get a boost in a non-Trump primary because a decent chunk of the MAGA people love him. Apparently toxic masculinity is the only box they really care is checked.

I don't think Trump's hold on the GOP is as strong as it seems. It's partly smoke and mirrors. I'd go as far to say the majority of the party would rather he not run or would prefer a better candidate. They just can't come to a consensus on who that is so they're just going with Trump because they know what they're getting.
Old 11-16-2023, 05:42 PM   #491
GrantDawg

It sounds like Tim Scott's money people are falling in with Haley. She seems to be where the non-Trumpers are starting to gather. She has no chance, but for her to have one most if the rest of group needs to drop. I just don't see DeSantis doing her that favor.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2023, 07:12 AM   #492
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I dunno, the facts seem to indicate that Trump's hold over the GOP is not only pretty strong, but it's pretty reliant on him, as DeSantis' and Ramaswamy's attempts to infiltrate using his schtick look to have failed.

Probably a third of state filing deadlines (for primaries) have already passed, and most of the rest will pass by the end of December, so this is group (barring drop-outs) who head into the primaries.

I'm with GD: looks to be shaping up to be a 2-horse race with Trump and Haley, neatly encapsulating the lines drawn in the to-date super one-sided GOP civil war. However, with the kind of polling leads Trump has, and most of the primaries being winner-takes-all/winner-takes-most, I could functionally see this being over by March.
Old 11-17-2023, 07:47 AM   #493
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Are you saying the charade is over by March or that it actually is over mathematically by March? There is literally no chance it's anyone other than Trump unless he (god willing) drops dead and even then he'd probably still be the nominee.
Old 11-17-2023, 08:15 AM   #494
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Probably charade, as I'm not sure if one can get a majority of delegates by March, but presume he'll have basically an insurmountable delegate lead by then.
Old 11-17-2023, 08:16 AM   #495
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Gives him plenty of time to have people come and kiss the ring if they want the VP slot. That'll be the real show.
Old 11-20-2023, 10:08 PM   #496
RainMaker
General Manager

I wonder if this becomes a way to attack Biden or maybe Trump come a general election. Surprised to see them calling it out.

Old 11-28-2023, 09:06 AM   #497
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice win for Haley.

Influential Koch network backs Nikki Haley in GOP presidential primary | CNN Politics
Quote:
The influential network associated with billionaire Charles Koch will throw its money and influence behind former South Caroline Gov. Nikki Haley in the Republican presidential primary, the group announced Tuesday.

The decision could dramatically reshape the Republican field – roughly seven weeks before the Iowa caucuses – as Americans for Prosperity Action deploys its vast resources and standing army of conservative activists on behalf of the former South Carolina governor.

The endorsement marks the latest sign that powerful Republican donors are coalescing behind the candidacy of the former US ambassador to the United Nations. She has seen prominent figures join her campaign in recent weeks, particularly after South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott exited the race.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:57 AM   #498
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Trump showing up at the Clemson-Carolina game shows he's at least hedging. Haley pretty much needs every non-trump candidate to drop out in the next week or 2 to even get a minute chance. If there's anyone siphoning her votes in the first primary or two, she won't get the chance to hang in for the longer primary season.

As someone who lives in Haley's state, she's annoying but your average politician. She's at least shown the ability to be swayed by public opinion to do the bare minimum of a right thing (see Confederate flag). I don't think she'd be a good president, but the country would at least slow it's collapse into degeneracy as opposed to Trump.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:06 AM   #499
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Trump will soon attack Haley. How she (and others) respond will be critical.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 10:23 AM   #500
Swaggs
Coordinator

She will be well positioned if Trump drops out or is not available, but it is still so early. We've had similar pushes at 10-15 months out before from Rudy Giulliani, Mike Huckabee, Hermain Cain, Ron Paul, and Rick Santorum (I'm sure I'm forgetting some others) in recent years. I guess the best hope for the non-Trump candidates is to have enough money to survive through the primaries and hope he drops out. I can't even imagine what would happen if he wins the primaries and then becomes unable to run and who they might come to a consensus on if they choose at the convention.

Last edited by Swaggs : 11-28-2023 at 10:23 AM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote