Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-17-2023, 12:20 PM   #201
Atocep
Coordinator

According to Navigator Research, which 538 rates as a 0.7 point bias toward dems:

From early April to now the idea of "Make America Florida" has gone from -5 with Independents to -31. And from +52 to +28 with Republicans.

The overall opinion of DeSantis has shifted -17 with Dems, -18 with Independents, and -19 with Republicans.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 12:33 PM   #202
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Trump will now need the R nominee to win the General and pardon him, so he has to support them if he loses the primary.

I just don't think that is in his DNA. It is far more likely he will scream the primary was rigged by RINOS and he will disenfranchise his base.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 01:26 AM   #203
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

How much of Desantis fall is "He's taking on disney" or "He's taking on Woke, but not winning", and how much is "He spoke ill of God-Emperor Trump BURN THE HERETIC"

thestreet.com

(basically, after all of this, Disney's approval is unchanged, but Desantis went from +2 favorability to -19. Personally, I think it's the the 2nd and the third more then the "Hey, they're taking on Disney. BOO!" factor)

Last edited by SirFozzie : 06-18-2023 at 01:27 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 05:12 AM   #204
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

He hasn't said anything negative about trump. If anything he's been too subservient while trump just belittles him. I don't think his fight withr Disney can affect Disney's favorability in any way. It's only going to hurt DeSantis.
Ghost Econ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 10:04 AM   #205
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

More accurately on my side, his supporters:

"“The Trump team’s obsession with men’s genitalia is more perverted than a woke grooming book.”
Old 06-18-2023, 02:34 PM   #206
Atocep
Coordinator

I think Desantis' drop is largely due to people getting to see more of him. Personality wise, he seems to have a lot in common with Ted Cruz. He's just unlikeable, about himself, and always thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. He has zero charisma and, politically, doesn't seem to know how to do anything other than fight culture wars.
Old 06-18-2023, 02:49 PM   #207
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

He also has that bully impulse when dealing with the media asking questions he doesn't like. Reminds me a lot of former KY governor Matt Bevin. I think for anyone who is not aligned with his side, that comes off as very unlikeable and vindictive - or basically, Trump.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 03:31 PM   #208
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I suspect a lot of people who gave DeSantis a look over the Disney thing were already Trump supporters and were willing to give the new guy a look if he could do something. But when the Disney stuff ended up being a bunch of hot air and he didn't have a lot to keep it in the airwaves, they just went back to Trump and DeSantis got to reap all the negatives of taking on Disney in the first place.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 07:16 PM   #209
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep
I think Desantis' drop is largely due to people getting to see more of him. Personality wise, he seems to have a lot in common with Ted Cruz. He's just unlikeable, about himself, and always thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. He has zero charisma and, politically, doesn't seem to know how to do anything other than fight culture wars.

I've heard a fair amount of this, but I don't understand it. I think to the degree this is true, it's just as much a problem and in most cases moreso for Trump. I.e. I think Trump is far more unlikeable than DeSantis.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 07:26 PM   #210
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I've heard a fair amount of this, but I don't understand it. I think to the degree this is true, it's just as much a problem and in most cases moreso for Trump. I.e. I think Trump is far more unlikeable than DeSantis.

Most people, even dems that have been around him, will admit Trump is charismatic. You see that word attached to him quite a bit. Never for DeSantis, and the Republicans that worked with him congress that I've seen quoted all seemed to hate the guy.
Old 06-18-2023, 07:41 PM   #211
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Huh. I don't see Trump as charismatic at all. I guess whatever other people see in him, I don't. I'd much rather listen to DeSantis speak than him.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 07:58 PM   #212
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Trump was charismatic enough to get a television show broadcast on a major network. Can you imagine DeSantis getting one? Trump's spiel worked because he was a known entity. DeSantis is not. I think the Ted Cruz comparison is spot on. The more you hear from him, the more his face is punchable.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 08:56 PM   #213
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So DeSantis has gone to Massachusetts looking for folks for his campaign (the Politico stinger for the section about it was "Make Massachusetts Florida again", which gave me the shivers and a verbal "NO!"

Now he's gone to San Francisco and released avide where he said he saw "so much riff-raff around the area".

Dude. You are the Governor of florida. Your state is famous for the "Florida Man does something extremely dumb" meme. Your state literally is what people get in their head when people start talking about questionable life decisions.

edit: From the Politco article

"DeSantis’ campaign has activated volunteers, including MassGOP Vice Chair Jay Fleitman and state committeewoman Mary Lou Stuart, to build a supporter network in Massachusetts."

considering the GOP is an afterthought in MA (the D's have a 134-25 majority, with 1 independent in the state house, and 36-3 in the state senate), I wouldn't be looking towards Mass GOP to walk your dog, never mind build you a network for supporters for Super Tuesday.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 06-20-2023 at 09:34 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 09:53 PM   #214
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Smacks of him wanting to be seen "going into the lion's den". Because he'd have much more success in, say, rural (or even outer suburban) Illinois, even though it too is a deep blue state.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 12:17 AM   #215
RainMaker
General Manager

It could also just be a strategy for getting delegates in the primary. Obama had a similar strategy where he targeted areas of the country that were not friendly toward Democrats. A delegate in Mass counts the same as a delegate in Alabama.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 07:19 AM   #216
Ksyrup

Moderate Republican/anti-Trumper Will Hurd is now joining the field.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-22-2023, 09:23 AM   #217
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Moderate Republican/anti-Trumper Will Hurd is now joining the field.

Knew Will from my days at aTm. Fantastic human being. Just born in the wrong time to be a Republican with a brain. Was disappointed he bent to some of the Orange Fuck's early bullshit but was glad to see him eventually stand up to him. Not sure this Prez move is his best option but we're in crazy times these days.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 11:25 AM   #218
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

He seems like a decent guy, but he won't win a single delegate.
Old 06-24-2023, 02:51 PM   #219
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

I wish Will would go after Cruz instead. I think he could easily primary him just based on likeability alone.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 01:00 PM   #220
Edward64
Head Coach

DeSantis on immigration. Same old Trump stuff.

Quote:
In his first major policy proposal as a presidential candidate, DeSantis called for an end to “catch and release” — a practice of discharging undocumented migrants into their American homes while they await court hearings. He called for asylum seekers along the U.S.-Mexico border to be blocked entry while their claims are processed. And he said, as Trump has previously, that children born in the United States to parents living here illegally should no longer be granted citizenship, a proposal that stands to face significant legal challenges.

But DeSantis also specifically criticized Trump on his signature policy issue from 2016, an unfinished U.S.-Mexico border wall, saying that if elected, he would complete it.
But wait, something new ... deadly force.

Quote:
“If somebody were breaking into your house to do something bad, you would respond with force. Yet why don’t we do that at the Southern border?“ DeSantis said during a press conference following the speech. “If the cartels are cutting through the border wall, trying to run product into this country, they’re going to end up stone cold dead as a result of that bad decision and if you do that one time, you are not going to see them mess with our wall ever again.“
I absolutely have no problems shooting cartel members. The real problem is distinguishing cartel members from regular undocumented.
Let's hope we have the new immigration bill by then.

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-26-2023 at 01:01 PM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 01:07 PM   #221
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm sure the guy whose state literally has crops rotting in the fields because he drove away all the immigrant labor has some stellar ideas regarding immigration reform.
Old 06-26-2023, 01:31 PM   #222
Atocep
Coordinator

Cartel members aren't cutting through our border fences to smuggle their product. They're using ports of entry. Just more dumb statements that either ignore or don't understand where the problem is.
Old 06-26-2023, 01:57 PM   #223
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Cartel members aren't cutting through our border fences to smuggle their product. They're using ports of entry. Just more dumb statements that either ignore or don't understand where the problem is.

Just feeding the maga wet dreams of shooting brown people.
Old 06-26-2023, 04:18 PM   #224
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If one agent can monitor .5 miles of wall, that would mean basically doubling the number of agents.

The right has a lot of non-serious ideas.
Old 06-26-2023, 04:31 PM   #225
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

Report is older but call it 10-15% at non-legal ports of entry.

Fact-checking Trump team: most drugs enter U.S. through ports of entry
Quote:
According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection statistics, 90 percent of heroin seized along the border, 88 percent of cocaine, 87 percent of methamphetamine, and 80 percent of fentanyl in the first 11 months of the 2018 fiscal year was caught trying to be smuggled in at legal crossing points.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 06:57 PM   #226
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The DeSantis campaign is such a mess. Trump doesn't hate gay people enough is a terrible message even for the primary.
Old 06-30-2023, 07:37 PM   #227
Thomkal
Head Coach

I think I have received in the mail every day this past week a mailing DeSantis or his Super PAC where they are tearing down gay and "woke" people. I honestly don't understand how he thinks he can win a general election where the people he wants to vote for him are even more far right than MAGA. Does he just think he's going to outlaw the Democratic Party and every one but white Christian straight men?
Old 06-30-2023, 08:56 PM   #228
Atocep
Coordinator

Running one of the worst campaigns I've ever seen. The only thing he knows how to do is say "woke". He literally tries to tie everything to it.

His war on woke is going to look awful 6-8 years from now when we can get solid economic data to look back at.
Old 06-30-2023, 09:38 PM   #229
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I think I have received in the mail every day this past week a mailing DeSantis or his Super PAC where they are tearing down gay and "woke" people. I honestly don't understand how he thinks he can win a general election where the people he wants to vote for him are even more far right than MAGA. Does he just think he's going to outlaw the Democratic Party and every one but white Christian straight men?

Outlaw or shoot/permit to be shot.
Old 06-30-2023, 09:44 PM   #230
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

DeSantis is one of the most awkward public figures we have ever seen. 100% he is on the spectrum. I suspect his wife is actually using him to try and gain power.
Old 06-30-2023, 11:25 PM   #231
RainMaker
General Manager

Can't remember seeing a big name politician crashing and burning this bad. Maybe the Trump indictments will change things but he sure feels like Bobby Jindal right now. Guy isn't going to make it to Super Tuesday at this rate.
Old 07-01-2023, 08:44 AM   #232
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Jeb!
Old 07-01-2023, 09:15 AM   #233
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Jeb!
That is the perfect comparison. Florida governor who raised a bunch of money and had high expectations. But then didn't have the personality to run nationally.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 09:24 AM   #234
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

"please clap"
Old 07-01-2023, 02:32 PM   #235
PilotMan
Head Coach

“Aides said he talked about Ivanka Trump’s breasts, her backside, and what it might be like to have sex with her, remarks that once led John Kelly to remind the president that Ivanka was his daughter,” Taylor wrote, recalling an alleged exchange with Kelly, who served as Trump’s chief of staff between 2017 and 2019.

“Afterward, Kelly retold that story to me in visible disgust. Trump, he said, was ‘a very, very evil man.’”

{this man wants your votes}

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 07-01-2023 at 02:33 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 02:43 PM   #236
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
“Aides said he talked about Ivanka Trump’s breasts, her backside, and what it might be like to have sex with her, remarks that once led John Kelly to remind the president that Ivanka was his daughter,” Taylor wrote, recalling an alleged exchange with Kelly, who served as Trump’s chief of staff between 2017 and 2019.

“Afterward, Kelly retold that story to me in visible disgust. Trump, he said, was ‘a very, very evil man.’”

{this man wants your votes}

The 2024 GOP platform will be pro incest before they get offended by anything like this.
Old 07-01-2023, 03:12 PM   #237
Thomkal
Head Coach

heh Lindsay Graham got boo'ed and called traitor at a Trump rally 15 minutes from where he was born in SC today.
Old 07-06-2023, 11:46 AM   #238
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

DeSantis is a very successful GOP governor. He's implemented a lot of pro-GOP policies and gotten re-elected easily in one of the biggest and most important states in the country.

But his presidential campaign seems to be a series of mistakes and missteps.

I wonder if the right analogy is how sometimes a coach is a great coordinator but a lousy head coach.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 03:33 PM   #239
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
DeSantis is a very successful GOP governor. He's implemented a lot of pro-GOP policies and gotten re-elected easily in one of the biggest and most important states in the country.

I wonder if the right analogy is how sometimes a coach is a great coordinator but a lousy head coach.

Because of the margin of his win and his apparent reputation, a year ago I wondered about him. Could he finally get his party past Trump?

Then he took on Disney. OK, whatever. People I know with kids are more concerned about the price of a visit than their kids being taken aside and groomed by Goofy. Seemed like a bad issue to hang a campaign on.

Now he's just trying to be Trump, but without the charisma. He's got a nickname for Trump ("Old Orange"), which feels like he took a focus group and picked the nickname that evoked the most halfhearted chuckles without offending anyone. And he's all-in on culture wars, which helps our country about as much as you'd think it would.

I think he's done. Complete self-implosion, coming at Trump from the wrong side with the wrong message. He got the most pictures marching in the right parades in New Hampshire this week, but it won't be enough.

I have no idea what the rest of them are doing. Scott got a boost for standing up to the women of the View. But that's not a presidential campaign. I think Haley is in Witness Protection right now. Pence is doing exactly what he needs to do to finish in third place down the road. And then there are a bunch of others fighting to claim a stray delegate or two. Even the Professor and Mary Ann had a better chance of winning.

Meanwhile, Trump draws 50,000 in South Carolina where they boo the local senator who isn't even running this time... the primary system has to be the worst system imaginable for picking leaders.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 05:37 PM   #240
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Because of the margin of his win and his apparent reputation, a year ago I wondered about him. Could he finally get his party past Trump?

Then he took on Disney. OK, whatever. People I know with kids are more concerned about the price of a visit than their kids being taken aside and groomed by Goofy. Seemed like a bad issue to hang a campaign on.

Now he's just trying to be Trump, but without the charisma. He's got a nickname for Trump ("Old Orange"), which feels like he took a focus group and picked the nickname that evoked the most halfhearted chuckles without offending anyone. And he's all-in on culture wars, which helps our country about as much as you'd think it would.

I think he's done. Complete self-implosion, coming at Trump from the wrong side with the wrong message. He got the most pictures marching in the right parades in New Hampshire this week, but it won't be enough.

I have no idea what the rest of them are doing. Scott got a boost for standing up to the women of the View. But that's not a presidential campaign. I think Haley is in Witness Protection right now. Pence is doing exactly what he needs to do to finish in third place down the road. And then there are a bunch of others fighting to claim a stray delegate or two. Even the Professor and Mary Ann had a better chance of winning.

Meanwhile, Trump draws 50,000 in South Carolina where they boo the local senator who isn't even running this time... the primary system has to be the worst system imaginable for picking leaders.

It's crazy because Trump has mostly been sleepwalking so far and has sounded more like the typical politician that the MAGA voters usually hate this time around.

There's a path to a non-MAGA GOP win, but it's going to take charisma and the courage to go directly at Trump, highlight his weaknesses and point out that he's lost far more than he's won and taken the party backwards in some areas. Unfortunately, no one seems to check one of those boxes let alone both. Well, maybe Christie for the first one but he lacks charisma and was a damaged politician before this primary.
Old 07-07-2023, 05:42 PM   #241
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

I'm not sure his success stands for very long. He's traded short term wins for likely long term losses because he saw the job as a stepping stone to the white house. The longer he stays on the job, the more his policies get undone by the courts and the more likely he is to face the long term damage he's done to those short term wins.

He's also making enemies within his own party in the state because he's prioritized his agenda over the party's wants/needs.
Old 07-07-2023, 06:11 PM   #242
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Kansas 2.0?
Old 07-08-2023, 06:37 PM   #243
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

If it is not completely obvious from my postings about him, I am not a fan. But it would be foolish to say that DeSantis is not a very successful governor. The issue is I can't say that he is a successful governor because he is Ron DeSantis. Think about it, before DeSantis there was Rick Scott. Before Scott was Charlie Crist and before that was Jeb Bush. Anyone noticing a pattern? All of those GOPers were considered successful governors who won two terms except for Crist who had the gall to support Obama's stimulus plan and left the party. All except Crist have at some point been considered to have at least a decent shot at the GOP presidential nomination. Maybe winning the governor's mansion in Florida has little less to do with the GOP candidates for governor and more about the dumpster fire that is the Democratic Party in Florida.

I am not saying that the GOP could put anybody on the ballot and win. I am saying as long as the Dems just throw anybody on the ballot every four years with no real plan as to who and why, the GOP might be able to just put anybody on the ballot and continue to win without much need to run a proper campaign.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 09:55 PM   #244
RainMaker
General Manager

DeSantis is cooked and I think that even if Trump dropped out, died, or whatever, he would still struggle to win the nomination. He just has no charisma and his campaign focus has been on weird cultural issues that are mostly for online folks.

Most people in the real world don't care about Disney culture wars. The brand is actually seen positively by most people. Even for someone like me who is online a lot, I don't even know what he's angry with them about. It's just such a bizarre issue to build your entire campaign around. At least when Trump ran in 2016, he had some issues that people might care about (drain the swamp, build the wall).

As for other candidates, Haley and Pence seem to be trapped in 2008 Republican politics and just don't understand that they are not what the party wants. Scott seems hellbent on angling for a VP spot while Christie seems to be in it for spite.

My guess is Trump wraps this up pretty early and I can see DeSantis pulling out right after New Hampshire. It's tough to compete with Trump when your base are people who post on 4chan and closeted men.
Old 07-08-2023, 09:58 PM   #245
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Whoever is running his campaign is a complete disaster. I still look back at his big campaign launch which he decided to do on Twitter in audio format for like 80k people.
Old 07-09-2023, 08:15 AM   #246
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Whoever is running his campaign is a complete disaster. I still look back at his big campaign launch which he decided to do on Twitter in audio format for like 80k people.

It has been widely reported that Casey DeSantis is the show runner for his campaign. I still wonder if this is a situation where she is a easy target to blame because the campaign is flailing and of course it would be the wife's fault. However, whenever I have hear her speak on Ron's behalf, it is clear that many of the talking points are more important to her. Maybe they are her talking points as opposed to his which would make it more understandable that she can express them more passionately. Maybe that is the charisma that people are talking about and she has that while Ron does not. Either way, she feels more authentic and intentional about the points.

It reminds of a spouse having their partner call a business to complain about a shoddy product or service the second partner has no idea had occurred. Then the first partner ends up standing next to the partner on the phone aggressively gesturing and angrily whispering the things that should and should not be said to said business but refuses to take the phone to voice those complaints themselves.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 07:31 AM   #247
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Doug Burgum, in an attempt to get to the small donor number needed for the Iowa debates, is giving away $20 gift cards for each $1 donation. For the first time in my life, I donated to a GOP candidate.
Old 07-12-2023, 07:43 AM   #248
Ksyrup

I got an email from Country First/Adam Kinzinger asking us to donate $1 to Chris Christie's campaign just so he can get on the stage and talk shit about Trump since none of the others will.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-12-2023 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-12-2023, 09:53 PM   #249
Ksyrup

The RFK/climate change farting argument story is certainly something.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-13-2023 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-12-2023, 11:35 PM   #250
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
It reminds of a spouse having their partner call a business to complain about a shoddy product or service the second partner has no idea had occurred. Then the first partner ends up standing next to the partner on the phone aggressively gesturing and angrily whispering the things that should and should not be said to said business but refuses to take the phone to voice those complaints themselves.

I feel personally attacked
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote