Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2004, 02:07 PM   #451
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Dola..No one has mentioned Pat Burns and his battle with cancer.

I wonder why?

What team does he play for?

Just kidding.

Actually, my wife and I were talking about this yesterday. I for one am bummed when anybody gets diagnosed with cancer. In his press conference, he showed a lot of courage. For the sake of his wellness, and for the sake of competitive hockey, I hope he gets better real soon.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 02:24 PM   #452
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Dola..No one has mentioned Pat Burns and his battle with cancer.

I wonder why?

It's been on my mind, but honestly it bums me out. A friend of mine at work is losing her father to cancer, so I think about it every day.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 03:39 PM   #453
Johnny93g
College Starter

The Pat Burns thing is depressing....but I wish him all the best....I loved him with the Leafs....he had so much passion and heart.....He's a fighter....and I really hope he beats it....
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 04:22 PM   #454
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

If anyone can beat this, Burns is the guy.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:22 PM   #455
Karim
College Starter

HB, I don't think you have anything to worry about. We've had our Stanley Cup by winning Game 7, winning in OT and winning a series, things we haven't done for 8 to 15 years. We've got five regulars out so any more injuries and Sutter might have to suit up. I'm just hoping to make it difficult for Detroit and not roll over in 4 or 5.

The city was going apeshit last night. Nakedness on 17th ave., cops flashing their lights and honking horns, people screaming from apartment balconies and turning their lights on and off, the Tower was all lit up... WWE Raw was at the 'Dome last night and people were yelling 'Go Flames Go' only to leave early to catch the game.

Craig Conroy, class act that he is, even called the radio program at 2:25 a.m. after he landed. He said seeing that goal go in with 5.4 seconds left was like, quote, "being kicked in the nuts." Apparently Cooke had the nerve to stick his tongue out at the Flames' bench which couldn't have hurt for motivation.

Suddenly it's cool to be a Flames' fan which makes it even better for die hards like me.

Last edited by Karim : 04-20-2004 at 05:23 PM.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:44 PM   #456
Simms
FOBL Commish

The fine people at Merriam-Webster or Oxford need to come up with a new word to describe the simultaneous, all-encompassing feelings of relief and elation.

*takes deep breath*
Old 04-20-2004, 08:56 PM   #457
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

with the Devils and Bruins already gone, the Maple Leafs are looking to be in pretty good shape...

the Senators? guh.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:20 PM   #458
Simms
FOBL Commish

The Flyers scare the hell out of me.

I'm always happy to see Canadian teams advance, but there was a big part of me that desperately wanted Boston to win last night so that, if the Leafs were to advance, they'd get Tampa Bay instead of Philly.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:21 PM   #459
Johnny93g
College Starter

GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-20-2004, 09:23 PM   #460
Johnny93g
College Starter

I dont want to get ahead of myself here....and I dont think the Philly series will be easy....and I am more frightend by Philly then just about any other team in the playoffs, and that includes Detroit, and Colorado....but how sweet would it be to see a Leafs/Habs conference final....
Old 04-20-2004, 09:26 PM   #461
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Philly SUCKS
Old 04-20-2004, 09:29 PM   #462
bbor
Pro Starter

Damn....Someone call the Sens and tell them game 7 happened tonight...Talk about a no show.That was as bad as the Leafs last year in game 7.

On to Philly...1 day off...what a horrid schedule....Hopefully Esche has come back down to earth and Eddie stays in the statosphere.

Anyone guess how many Sens fans are jumping off buildings right now?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:32 PM   #463
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:

Every last one of them
Old 04-20-2004, 09:34 PM   #464
Simms
FOBL Commish

Andy Frost just mentioned "rumours" of Sens players chucking furniture around the dressing room.

As for the "horrid" schedule against Philly....only having one day off sucks, but they actually catch some breaks after that. Game 2 isn't til Sunday, and Game 3 back in Toronto is Wednesday. That's two straight two-day breaks....can't complain too much about that.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:45 PM   #465
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:

All 4 of them.

Sorry, that's harsh considering.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:48 PM   #466
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I've never been in favor make changes just to change, but Ottawa has to change things up a little bit.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:50 PM   #467
Hurst2112
College Starter

I dug Tucker's acting. So did Darren Pang.

I shouldn't talk, I have Homlstrom on my team.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:05 PM   #468
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Darcy Tucker should not act that way. He seems to think of himself as some kind of gritty warrior out there, but he can't help but act like a clown every now and then.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:08 PM   #469
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
I've never been in favor make changes just to change, but Ottawa has to change things up a little bit.

ditto Vancouver, I think.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:15 PM   #470
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek

I don't agree with this.I still think they are top 3 in the league.They were beat by a goaltender this time round...that is all...who can you blame for that?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:44 AM   #471
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

They always get beat by "something", and it is usually the Maple Leafs. 4 out of the last 5 seasons the Ottawa season has been ended by Toronto. It seems that the coaching staff, that has been headed by Jacques Martin all of those years, can't get past the Leafs. So, you can keep trotting him out and hoping that somehow you don't have to face Toronto, or you can make a change. Good coaches have to move on from time to time because they cannot get the team to the next level. There are a few teams who would love to have him and he could do wonderful things for, but he does not seem able to move the Senators ahead at this time.

Lalime was awful. I don't see how you go out there in such an important game and blow it like he did. He isn't the only reason they lost, but he is a big part of it. He has struggled all season. It's time to move on with that position as well.

It's tough. These guys don't have it, but I have no idea who you find to replace them.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:52 AM   #472
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Wow!...The Wings lose a prospect to retirement....I think this guy was a big part of their future too....any comment HB?Is this gonna hurt them?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1785677

Yeah, it's never easy losing a prospect. You can't blame the scouts. Jim Nil and company put a lot of work into finding these guys. You can't argue about this guy's talent, but if he wasn't going to be patient and wait his turn, good riddance. Don't worry, I have been checking my sources and be on the look out for these names in the future: Bjore Salming, Harold Snepsts, Mel Bridgeman, and Lanny McDonald. Up and commers for the Winged Wheel. Count on it.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 04:39 AM   #473
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Yeah, it's never easy losing a prospect. You can't blame the scouts. Jim Nil and company put a lot of work into finding these guys. You can't argue about this guy's talent, but if he wasn't going to be patient and wait his turn, good riddance. Don't worry, I have been checking my sources and be on the look out for these names in the future: Bjore Salming, Harold Snepsts, Mel Bridgeman, and Lanny McDonald. Up and commers for the Winged Wheel. Count on it.

You forgot to mention George Burns and Methuselah as possible future Wings.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 05:14 AM   #474
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Reflections on my first round projections and highlights and lowlights of said projections...

Quote:
My Picks:

#1 Tampa Bay vs. #8 N.Y. Islanders
Tampa Bay in 5.

Even though I am not sold on Tampa, they have a solid blue line, plenty of talent upfront, and the Buhlin wall between the pipes. I don't even know who is starting in net for the Islanders. 'Nuff said.

#2 Boston vs. #7 Montreal
Montreal in 7.

I don't think Big Joe will make an appearance in this series, if he does, he may be limited in action. I also have a gut feeling that Theodore is going to play very well and steal this one for the Habs. He's their only hope really, because Montreal can't match up with Boston talentwise.

#3 Philadelphia vs. #6 New Jersey
New Jersey in 5.

If I had to pick one "sure thing", I think this series would be it. Philly has all sorts of trouble in goal, Esche starting is one example. They are Philly. They are playing Brodeur. Even without Stevens, I don't see the Devils losing this one.

#4 Toronto vs. #5 Ottawa
Toronot in 7.

That being said, even without Owen Nolan I like the Leafs with Leetch and McCabe along the blue-line and Eddie the Eagle in net. I think Lalime is a fine goalie, but he's no Belfour.

#1 Detroit vs. #8 Nashville
Detroit in 5.

That being said, I cannot and will not predict a first round collapse against Nashville, Steve Sullivan be damned!

#2 San Jose vs. #7 St. Louis
St. Louis in 6.

I'll go with the Blues on this one, I have no idea why.

#3 Vancouver vs. #6 Calgary
Calgary in 7.

I think Iginla will be on fire, Kiprusoff will keep the puck out of the net and Calgary will win it's first series since Karim was knee-high to a grasshopper.

#4 Colorado vs. #5 Dallas
Dallas in 6.

I like the additions of Gratton and Barnaby (especially Barnaby), but you always have to be wary whenever a team makes so many moves at the deadline. It rarely works in their favor (unless they get some ridiculous deal involving Ron Francis and Ulf Samuelsson). Dallas played very well down the stretch, especially Billy Guerin and Marty Turco. Speaking of Turco, the Avs go into the playoff with Abeschire in net. He's been solid all season, but he's yet one more goalie who has no play-off experience. He could crack under the pressure. The edge between the pipes has to go to Dallas. Between that and Colorado's injury problems up front, I am going with the Stars.

Ok. I was very proud of the fact that each series I predicted to go 7 games did and the team I picked to win did. That was nice. Especially the dead-on Iginla on fire, Kipper saving the world thing.

That whole Philly-New Jersey thing... Um... Uh... Well... I live in freaking Belgium! What do you want from my life??

The St. Louis pick I blame on the people here. I felt bad for Primer and Mizzou. I wanted the Blues to win for them. Emotion got in the way there...

Dallas and Colorado. See that whole emotion explanation above. I was blinded by hatred.

I must think on Round 2 some more...
Old 04-21-2004, 08:39 AM   #475
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Hicks is PISSED! I don't think we'll be seeing you guys in the playoffs for a while...

Quote:
Hicks Blasts Stars, Says Changes Coming
By Mac Engel
Star-Telegram Staff Writer
FRISCO - Standing in front of a hockey team that, at best, underachieved, Stars owner Tom Hicks lived out a fan's fantasy when he ripped his team Tuesday morning.

According to Stars sources, when Hicks addressed the team at their practice facility in Frisco, he said: "You were brought here for a reason: To win, and you didn't do that. ... A lot of you won't be here next year. ... This is for real. The owners are unified and we're going to change the way hockey does its business."

Hicks was understandably upset after watching a three-year investment that eclipsed the $180 million mark net nothing. Other than vent some obvious frustration, his point was simple: Changes in the league and the team are coming. The golden-egg, $69 million payroll era is done. The budget-conscious days of a payroll under $50 million is coming.

Look around you. The person on your right and your left may not be here next season.

As the Stars said their final goodbye Tuesday morning, they did so knowing that an era is over. The league faces a labor situation that threatens all of next season, and the Stars are preparing to drastically change the way they build the team.

Consecutive early playoff exits, and the prospect of a salary-capped NHL, mean the team no longer will bring in high-priced free agents. Instead, the Stars will use the players they have to guide the young players in hopes of building a new core.

"We are going to have to say goodbye to some higher-priced veteran players and allow some of the younger players in our organization the opportunity to be in the NHL," Stars general manager Doug Armstrong said.

The team now will be built around Brenden Morrow, Marty Turco, Steve Ott, Trevor Daley, Antti Miettinen, Mathias Tjarnqvist and possibly Junior Lessard and Loui Eriksson.

The team will not be built around the free-agent stars of the summer.

"One thing I want to make clear is that this is a problem I created," Armstrong said. "Every player, coach and every person in hockey management except one has been traded for or re-signed by me. I do not want to be perceived as passing the buck."

Hicks said Armstrong will retain his position. Dave Tippett will enter the third and final year of his contract as a lame-duck head coach. He probably will need a good postseason to secure an extension.

As for the roster, 13 players will become unrestricted free agents on July 1, and none is expected to be immediately retained, if at all.

The biggest casualty is expected to be center Jason Arnott, who has not escaped the rap that he is an enigma encased in one of the NHL's most dominant frames.

"At times he is a dominating player," Tippett said. "At times he is just a player."

Arnott, who made $3.85 million this season, is a restricted free agent. The Stars are not expected to tender a contract offer, thereby making Arnott an unrestricted free agent on July 1. Wing Valeri Bure finds himself in a similar situation.

Unlike summers past when then Stars were one of the NHL's most active franchises, they expect to be dormant until the early fall. Armstrong said there is a possibility the team will not make any moves until a new collective bargaining agreement is reached.

The NHL's collective bargaining agreement expires Sept. 15, and both the players and owners have said they are prepared for no NHL games next season. The mere chance of a salary cap, a lower cost to buy out contracts, and other economic rules will affect the way the Stars operate.

The Stars are currently committed to almost $44 million between 10 players for next season. If there is cost certainty, the Stars may not be able to spend much without exceeding a salary cap or tax threshold. They could try to move some of their signed players to shed more payroll.

Whatever they do, one thing is certain: The way they did things is over.

"We are starting at a foundation now where we are going to grow," Armstrong said. "It's going to be a different-looking team."
Old 04-21-2004, 08:41 AM   #476
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

And more...on a side note, I'm really happy to see that management isn't trying to spin this one. They appear to be as sickened by what they saw as many fans are.

Quote:
Stars GM: 'We didn't get beat; This year, we lost'
11:28 PM CDT on Tuesday, April 20, 2004

By MIKE HEIKA / The Dallas Morning News

Stars GM Doug Armstrong offered his comments on some key issues Tuesday.

On Mike Modano’s captaincy:

“Mike is going to be back next year, there’s no question about that. I’m not sidestepping the issue of captain, I haven’t really thought about it. Mike is going to be part of the guys who are going to be asked to help the younger players grow, and whether he does it with a C on his chest or not … I don’t want to start out a controversy that’s not there. To me, it’s not an issue. Wearing a C is really irrelevant to me. There have been great leaders who have never worn a letter. Mike is coming off a year he’d like to forget, but maybe I owe Mike Modano the benefit of the doubt that he’s going to rebound and he’s going to be the player he wants to be. He’s too young for it to be over, I believe, and if I’m betting, I’m betting on him.”

On how he’ll deal with unsigned players the team would like to keep:

“It presents somewhat of an easier summer for me, because when I go to someone I can say: ‘This is what we can afford to pay you,’ and if they say, ‘Yes,’ they’re in and if they say ‘No,’ they’re out. There won’t be a lot of wiggle room for me.”

After saying Dave Tippett will indeed be his coach, he was asked about the job security of both he and Tippett:

“I’m under no illusion that whether it’s tomorrow or 20 years from now, the phone is going to ring and someone is going to say, ‘Can I see you?’ But I’m not going to be consumed by that and I hope Dave is not going to be consumed by that, because it’s out of our control.”

On the Stars performance this season:

“I accept getting beat. This year, we didn’t get beat. This year, we lost….When you lose without competing or you feel there was stuff left in the tank, as a manager that’s what really disappoints you.”

On why they lost:

“I think it’s a combination of everything. I guess you are who you are. The first two months and the last month, I guess, is really who we were. And the middle was an illusion of who we wanted to be.”

On why the team is cutting payroll:

“We had a plan that if we went so far, we would be able to spend so much. If we got eliminated early, it would have an effect on us longer term. … We’ve earned the position we’re in to reduce payroll and I don’t think we want to use the CBA as the sole reason we’re going to a different direction.”

Last edited by sachmo71 : 04-21-2004 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:02 AM   #477
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Various thoughts:

- Ottawa: It's the same old story every year with these guys. They lose, they can't understand why, but the core always stays the same. I think that changes this year. Martin is as good as fired. Lalime and Bonk are obviously out. But I think this may finally be the year that they move one of the core guys, like Redden or Havlat. They need to do it. It's obvious that this team is way too comfortable.

- Toronto/Philly: This is going to be a tough, tough matchup for the Leafs. They're so beaten up, and the Flyers are so physical, that it could be tough to watch. The Flyers will be like sharks with blood in the water. The Sens talked a big game about going to the net and causing traffic, but the Flyers know how to actually do it. Tough, tough matchup for the Leafs. Even if they can win it somehow, will there be anyone left for round three?

- Tucker: Yes, the act wears thin. But this guy is hurt, and hurt bad. Pierre McGuire was one the radio up here a few days ago and said that wouldn't reveal the injuries, but he said that when the playoffs are over and everyone realizes what Tucker's playing through they'll be amazed he's even on the ice.

- "They just got beat by a goaltender": I'm tired of hearing this. Yes, Ottawa ran into a hot goalie. Just like they do every year. Just like they did all those years when Toronto had Cujo. Guess what? Top goalies don't just appear out of thin air. The Leafs have made a decision as an organization going back a decade to make sure they always have a top goalie. They've had four goalies in 14 years: Fuhr, Potvin, Joseph, Belfour. Three hall-of-famers and a guy who played like one for a few years. That's not an accident. They paid a big price for most of those guys through trade or FA, but Toronto obviously believes that no price is too high for a goaltender. Ottawa, meanwhile, believes that if you build an excellent team-based defensive system then a good second-tier goalie is good enough. Lalime, Tugnett, Rhodes, Barasso. Same story every year. And last night we got yet another lesson in how "good enough" works out for you.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:10 AM   #478
thealmighty
Pro Starter

As a longtime stars fan, all I have left is...

Eddie! Eddie! Eddie! Eddie!
Old 04-21-2004, 10:49 AM   #479
MikeVic
Head Coach

Whoever wins the Philly/Toronto series won't make the finals. These teams will kill each other. I can't wait to see this series.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 11:17 AM   #480
Johnny93g
College Starter

My new wallpaper
Old 04-21-2004, 11:25 AM   #481
Simms
FOBL Commish

The Leafs radio beat reporter was on the overnight show last night around midnight, and described how, in the last minute of the game, the scoreboard at the ACC displayed Alfredsson's quote, "We're going to win the Stanley Cup" over a live shot of an obviously dejected Alfie on the Sens bench.

He went on to just hammer the scoreboard operator(s) for being so classless and saying they should "be ashamed of themselves".

Now, obviously, it's not a particularly *nice* thing to do, but does the fact that I really don't see what the big deal is make me a bad person? The intensity of Berger's venom just kinda caught me off guard I guess....I'm trying to figure out if there's something I'm missing.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:49 AM   #482
bbor
Pro Starter

So...if you are the Leafs GM...do you re-sign a 39 YO Belfour?

I still think Ottawa can win with a new keeper.They are really that good.

Simms....Berger tends to over react ALOT...But i agree that putting thatupon the scoreboard is classless.

Almost as bad as when Ballard flashed that message about the passenger plane the Russians shot down while the team Canada was playing the Russians.

Old 04-21-2004, 12:04 PM   #483
Johnny93g
College Starter

Berger seems to find fault in everything the Leafs do...even yesterday after a great win...he tries to find something negative....thats Howard Berger, im used to it by now....Nothing wrong with the scoreboard thing, dont think for a second Ottawa wouldn't rub it in if they beat us......The whole Senator team lacks class.....

And YES...RESIGN BELFOUR.....of course if we win the cup...his option is automatically picked up....but needs to be a Leaf until he retires.....he shows no signs have losing anything.....very similar to Patrik Roy.....if theres hockey next year...it will be a Belfour/Tellqvist tandem
Old 04-21-2004, 12:17 PM   #484
Simms
FOBL Commish

After the Leafs won game 3 (Belfour's second straight shutout), reports started coming out that Belfour had been offered--and rejected--a significant contract extension right before the first round of the playoffs. Not sure if there was ever any confirmation of that, but I certainly think it's plausible. And whether Leafs management agrees with me or not, my feeling is that you definitely resign this guy, no matter what it takes.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:24 PM   #485
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g

My new wallpaper
Nice. Anyone know where I could find a larger version?
Old 04-21-2004, 12:39 PM   #486
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
After the Leafs won game 3 (Belfour's second straight shutout), reports started coming out that Belfour had been offered--and rejected--a significant contract extension right before the first round of the playoffs. Not sure if there was ever any confirmation of that, but I certainly think it's plausible. And whether Leafs management agrees with me or not, my feeling is that you definitely resign this guy, no matter what it takes.

I don't know, according the the bizzarro JohnnyG world, Tellqvist will become the greatest goalie in the history of the NHL never to make an All-Star game. Maybe it'll be time to hand the reins over to him.

The Toronto-Philly series should be a great one. Other than that, however, none of these series, from the outset, seem to have any sizzle to 'em.

Of course, that's despite the long, storied Tampa Bay-Montreal rivalry that dates back to yesteryear when... See, it doesn't even work as a joke.

The Sharks-Avalanche series should be decent hockey, so that will be ok from an aesthetic stand point.

Calgary-Detroit should be decent enough. Though in one day I have already read 5 different articles that start out with some variation of "On paper this series is a blowout..." It will be the scrappy, hard-hat and lunch-pail Calgary squad who is all heart and against the amazing collection of all-star and hall-of-fame elder statesmen of Detroit. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I was just noticing how the favored team never has any "heart." They are never described as having "heart" until (and only if) they win it all. Then people look back and say "they had the heart", "they had the desire", "they wanted it", etc.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:06 PM   #487
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
I was just noticing how the favored team never has any "heart." They are never described as having "heart" until (and only if) they win it all. Then people look back and say "they had the heart", "they had the desire", "they wanted it", etc.

Yeah. How can former Stanley Cup champions not have heart and desire? It think the only reason it's de-emphasized in Detroit's case is because that's really all Calgary can bring to the table.

I'd like to see another Game 7 but my prediction is Detroit in 6.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:08 PM   #488
Karim
College Starter

dola,

For the other series:

Tampa over Montreal in 6
Philly over Toronto in 7
San Jose over Colorado in 6
Old 04-21-2004, 03:56 PM   #489
ice4277
Pro Rookie

My series predictions:

Wings over Flames in 6
Tampa over Montreal in 7
Avs over Sharks in 7
Flyers over Leafs in 7

However, I am really hoping for Leafs/Habs and Wings/Avs in the conference finals, followed by a Wings/Leafs final. Dare to dream I guess.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 04:46 PM   #490
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

As I read that article about the Stars, I can't help but feel a little good about the Hawks. They started playing the young talent some last year and a lot this year which can only help in a league where building from within is going to become a much bigger factor. Now, there's no way I give Chicago management much credit for this because they never seem to have any foresight and were probably just doing this to pocket a buck. But unintentionally, they might have done something right.

As for the next round, it seems kindof pedestrian. Also, it seems like a lot of series that won't go the full length. In all except maybe Philly-Toronto, I see one team just taking control.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 05:06 PM   #491
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Old 04-21-2004, 06:45 PM   #492
Hurst2112
College Starter

That thing has legs like Chara's
Old 04-21-2004, 06:50 PM   #493
Simms
FOBL Commish

Important Safety Message:

hxxp://www.inebriated.cx/health/
Old 04-21-2004, 07:32 PM   #494
Karim
College Starter

lol

Last edited by Karim : 04-21-2004 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:01 PM   #495
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
For the couple of you who were taking part in my playoff pool over here... the round one results were (including guys from the OOTP board):

sahyder1 29
BruceM 27
ill16ca 27
Honolulu Blue(FOFC) 22
BigBambino 21
SoxWin 18
PittPanther 15
LivnLegend 15
chrisj 14
Draft Dodger 14
thomasthomas 12
Muppetus Galacticus 12
sachmo71(FOFC) 12
kq76 11
PrestonKaye 7
doubles 5
KidKala 5
Xenimus0 2

(hopefully I didn't miss any FOFCers who did want to take part... if so, let me know)

Let me know your round two picks before the series' begin.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:08 PM   #496
bbor
Pro Starter

I'm surprised y'all think the Flyers/Leafs will go 7.

The only way i see this happeneing is if Esche shits the bed.Ottawa let Belfour see every shot on net,Flyers will NOT let this happen...and the Leafs D cannot handle those big bodies.

I see Philly in 5

If Sundin and Nolan come back then it will be a 7 gamer perhaps.

Old 04-22-2004, 08:06 AM   #497
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I see Philly in 5
I really wish I could argue with that...
Old 04-22-2004, 08:13 AM   #498
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj
For the couple of you who were taking part in my playoff pool over here... the round one results were (including guys from the OOTP board):

sahyder1 29
BruceM 27
ill16ca 27
Honolulu Blue(FOFC) 22
BigBambino 21
SoxWin 18
PittPanther 15
LivnLegend 15
chrisj 14
Draft Dodger 14
thomasthomas 12
Muppetus Galacticus 12
sachmo71(FOFC) 12
kq76 11
PrestonKaye 7
doubles 5
KidKala 5
Xenimus0 2

(hopefully I didn't miss any FOFCers who did want to take part... if so, let me know)

Let me know your round two picks before the series' begin.

Detroit vs. Calgary: Detroit in 6.
Colorado vs. San Jose: San Jose in 5.
Toronto vs. Philly: Toronto in 6.
Montreal vs. Tampa Bay: Tampa in 6.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:29 AM   #499
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Detroit vs. Calgary: Detroit in 6.
Colorado vs. San Jose: Colorado in 7.
Toronto vs. Philly: Toronto in 6.
Montreal vs. Tampa Bay: Montreal in 6.

I am being an optimist here. I really don't think that Toronto can pull it off with all their injury problems, but I will believe. They're just to colorful of a team (with respect to their players, coach, and the their FOFC fans) to vote against. I think having the Conference finals go down between: Colorado and Detroit in the West and Toronto and Montreal in the East would be classic. A fitting end to this era of hockey...
Old 04-22-2004, 11:33 AM   #500
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Toronto vs. Montreal HAS to happen. It just has to. Detroit/Colorado would be wicked too.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote