Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-22-2004, 11:55 AM   #501
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
I really wish I could argue with that...

I can....much weirder things have happend in the playoffs......It wouldnt be that big of an upset.....Sure we are beaten up, injured, and facing tough odds, but whats new....its always like that in the playoffs......

Anyway, Leafs/Habs, Red Wings/Avs, and a Leafs/Red Wings final is what all hockey fans should be hoping for......

GO LEAFS GO!!!!
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:56 AM   #502
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Detroit vs Calgary: Detroit in 6
Colorado vs San Jose: Colorado in 5
Toronto vs Philadelphia: Toronto in 5
Montreal vs Tamba Bay: Montreal in 7

(all same pics as the Blue Belgian...just different lengths)
Old 04-22-2004, 12:05 PM   #503
bbor
Pro Starter

Damn...Sach and HB are drunk...Leafs in 6

I hope you guys are right.

In other new...The can gets tied to Jaques Martin today....i think they'd be better off canning Muckler....Is it not him who wanted to keep Lalime instead of getting a first rate keeper?Was it not him that traded for Bondra who no showed in the play-offs?

I don't get it

Muckler has been living off his oiler years too long.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:15 PM   #504
Simms
FOBL Commish

bbor -- We do have Al Strachan going for us. He picked the Flyers in 5, and I'm not sure there exists a professional hockey pundit who has been more pathologically wrong about anything and everything than Strachan.

The fan in me obviously thinks the Leafs have a chance to win, however hard it will be, but the realist in me says Philly in 6 or 7.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:33 PM   #505
bbor
Pro Starter

Strachen is a knob eh?

I think the only person picking the Leafs is Stormin Norman Rumack

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:40 PM   #506
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Strachen is a knob eh?

And myself, Sachmo, and Draft Dodger. It's a Detroit/Dallas/Colorado convergence. The powers of the West have spoken! We have to be right!

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 04-22-2004 at 12:41 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:46 PM   #507
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
Toronto vs. Montreal HAS to happen. It just has to. Detroit/Colorado would be wicked too.

Agreed

Old 04-22-2004, 12:48 PM   #508
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Agreed

Yes.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 04-22-2004 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:06 PM   #509
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Wow, it sure didn't take Jacques long to find a new job!

Old 04-22-2004, 01:13 PM   #510
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I think the Belfour will keep the Leafs alive. He's older now, but he looks like he did in '99. Without him, the Stars don't have that cup. With him, the Leafs *can* have the cup.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 01:14 PM   #511
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Dola...

Leetch will prove to be the difference in this series, also.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:37 PM   #512
bbor
Pro Starter

Belfour has been playing ala Roy of 93,that is scary good.

Sach...Leetch struggles in the Ottawa series....i don'tknow why but he had a hard time against them.

I hope he turns it around this series.

HB:A Leaf/Wings final would be great too....if only for the trash talk that would goon here

Old 04-22-2004, 09:26 PM   #513
Hurst2112
College Starter

I knew there was a reason why I posted I was scared of the flames.

Oh, and Belfour looks like his old self again. Good to see old friends.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:32 PM   #514
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yep. I knew Detroit was going to lose halfway through the 2nd period. I told my wife that this is the exact kind of game they dominate for 1 or 2 periods, don't take advantage of it, and end up losing.

It's only one game...plus, my spirits are up a bit since I'm watching the Avs/Sharks game.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:42 PM   #515
Vince
Pro Starter

Man, San Jose finally gets a game on TV, and I don't get to watch it. They absolutely hammered the Avs, and by the end of the game, there were FOUR Av penalties in effect. Anyone want to fill me in on why the Avs looked like crap?
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:45 PM   #516
Hurst2112
College Starter

I didn't know how much of an asshole Bob Boughner was. The shot to the back of the head of Cheechoo (though not that hard) with 3 seconds left was uncalled for. Why in the hell do you do that with 3 seconds left? There was just a group of fights (where barnaby got pasted...thank god) that could have given your team some attitude for the next game. Yet, Boughner just has to be a tough guy and a dumbass.

I don't get it.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:00 AM   #517
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
HB:A Leaf/Wings final would be great too....if only for the trash talk that would goon here

Don't get too far ahead of yourself.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 12:59 AM   #518
bbor
Pro Starter

Leaf game goes as expected...although the Flyers did'nt look as good as i thought they would.

With Sundin back this could be a series.

Sami Kapenen as a D-man? interesting...he did get star of the game though.

Old 04-23-2004, 02:42 AM   #519
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Yep. I knew Detroit was going to lose halfway through the 2nd period. I told my wife that this is the exact kind of game they dominate for 1 or 2 periods, don't take advantage of it, and end up losing.

It's only one game...plus, my spirits are up a bit since I'm watching the Avs/Sharks game.

Exactly. When the shots were like 19-4 and it was 0-0, you could tell things were not going the way they should...
Old 04-23-2004, 08:21 AM   #520
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Man, San Jose finally gets a game on TV, and I don't get to watch it. They absolutely hammered the Avs, and by the end of the game, there were FOUR Av penalties in effect. Anyone want to fill me in on why the Avs looked like crap?

that's the Avs - they are notorious for reserving their "A" game for top opponents, and not coming in prepared for those oponents perceived to be on the food chain. (this is why many Avs fans wanted them to play Dallas instead of Calgary).

they came out "so-so", the Sharks got those 2 quick goals in the first period (one that was a defensive meltdown, and one that Aebischer should have easily stopped), and then they completely melted down. After that, they played an all-around terrible game - offense, defense, and goaltending. They got completely unravelled. The only guy on the ice doing anything was Svatos.

sounds terrible, but this is generally a good thing for the Avs - usually, they bounce back strongly from a bad performance like this. that said, this is a strong-looking Sharks team - none of the softness I thought I'd see from them.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:23 AM   #521
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Go Flames!! Whoot!
Old 04-23-2004, 08:26 AM   #522
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
I didn't know how much of an asshole Bob Boughner was. The shot to the back of the head of Cheechoo (though not that hard) with 3 seconds left was uncalled for. Why in the hell do you do that with 3 seconds left? There was just a group of fights (where barnaby got pasted...thank god) that could have given your team some attitude for the next game. Yet, Boughner just has to be a tough guy and a dumbass.

I don't get it.

I'm completely dumbfounded as to how someone on the Avs could do that. That was just a terribly stupid and thuggish thing to do; other than the result, I don't see how that's much different than what Bertuzzi did...
Old 04-23-2004, 09:02 AM   #523
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
I'm completely dumbfounded as to how someone on the Avs could do that.

Did you miss the Claude Lemieux era?
Old 04-23-2004, 09:03 AM   #524
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Go Flames!! Whoot!

PISS OFF, Mr. Bitterman!
Old 04-23-2004, 09:06 AM   #525
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I'm not bitter, Blue! I like the Flames, and since I hate all of the remaining West teams, I have to cheer for them.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:10 AM   #526
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
I'm not bitter, Blue! I like the Flames, and since I hate all of the remaining West teams, I have to cheer for them.

They'd be a great story if they were playing someone else.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 09:14 AM   #527
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Ok, you can like the Flames. This is acceptable. But hate all the remaining West teams? I can see hating the Avs. They are pure evil, Forces of Darkness, etc, etc. I can see hating the Sharks, they like to hurt Mike Modano and other Stars players with some frequency. But the Wings?? Where's the love for the Wings?? You LOVE Brett Hull. Remember the illegal Cup winning goal against Buffalo? Those were good times! And Hatcher! Your former Captain? You remember him! You remember good, ole Hatch! Then there's Yzerman, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Shanahan, Zetterberg, Draper, and the rest of the guys EVERYBODY likes and you basically love half the players right there. See. It makes perfect sense! Come into the fold... It's warm, cozy, and nice! Klayman's here. And he LOVES it.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:41 AM   #528
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

"I'll never join you!"

It's sad really. Stars fans hate Detroit. Detroit fans could give two figs about Dallas. Sort of like Edmonton is to Dallas.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:49 AM   #529
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
"I'll never join you!"

It's sad really. Stars fans hate Detroit. Detroit fans could give two figs about Dallas. Sort of like Edmonton is to Dallas.

Nah, don't worry, Sach. I hate Dallas well enough. I don't like Modano, I don't like Hatcher (I hated him back in his Stars days), never liked Hitchcock, any of them.

I lived in Dallas for a while and I have a lot of friends there. One of which is the producer for the Stars TV broadcasts. He travels around with the team all season long. Cool job. Most of my friends in Dallas are actually Wings fans. I got to 'em before the Stars moved there. So, you'd have a support group!
Old 04-23-2004, 09:51 AM   #530
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

You are friends with Buc Spivey?!?!? I love that guys name!
Old 04-23-2004, 11:09 AM   #531
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Strachen is a knob eh?

Dave Hodge picked the Leafs to win the cup, apparently the first time he's every picked them in his broadcasting career.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 11:21 AM   #532
Karim
College Starter

Why was the Joe Louis so quiet? It sounded like a regular season game. Do you guys not start cheering until the Conference Finals?

It sure must be nice watching all that skill. It makes it really hard to punish the Wings physically. Calgary seems faster in terms of team speed, but that doesn't really help when they're chasing the puck all over the ice. Cujo made a couple nice saves but the OT goal was fluky. Kiprusoff was the reason we won and Detroit will be more in his face the next game and throughout the series.

We've had our Stanley Cup so most Flames fans are being realistic and thinking anything we get is gravy. The consensus is that it's just a matter of time before the Red Wings explode all over us.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:35 PM   #533
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Did you miss the Claude Lemieux era?

I was on a hiatus then.
but what I meant was how could an Avs player be stupid enough to punch a guy from behind like that, when just a month ago one of their teammates got their neck broken like that.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:37 PM   #534
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
"I'll never join you!"

anyone catch that AMAZING Tommy Salo stat last night? When Salo was entering the game, he was making his 22nd or 23rd playoff appearance. Up until last night, the only postseason opponent he'd faced was the Stars.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:09 PM   #535
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Random thoughts from the Flyers/Leafs game:

- I know it's a long playoff season and everyone is going to have a bad game now and then. Still... damn, did the CBC camerman ever have a terrible night.

- OK, the Tomas Kaberle honeymoon is officially over.

- Last night was the perfect example of why the Flyers will be so tough for the Leafs. You hear Leaf fans worry about how physical Philly is and you think we mean hitting and fighting. We're not worried about that. Hell, hit the Leafs as much as you want, it only makes them stronger. But our defence can't handle big guys, and last night was just the latest example.

- Wow, the Flyers outshot the Leafs last night. I guess that means that completely, totally dominated the game! (Sorry, I'm still stuck in the Ottawa series where apparently shots on goal became the only stat that mattered, much more so than, say, goals).

- Go Flames!

- It was good to see the Philly fans taunt Belfour with the old-school "Edddiiieee" chant. That's the way you do it. And Philly fan also knows to wait until after the first goal to do it. Don't Ottawa fans realize how dumb they sound chanting "Beellllfour", especially during a 150 minute shutout streak?

- Speaking of fans, it was strange after a seven-game Sens/Leafs series to see the Leafs play an actual road-game. When the Leafs scored, there weren't thousands of Leaf fans cheering. Weird.

- Why does Philadelphia keep booking their arena for Saturday nights during the NHL playoffs? Yanni? Arena football? Do the arena managers know they have a hockey team?
Old 04-23-2004, 03:32 PM   #536
Karim
College Starter

This is too funny...
Old 04-23-2004, 06:48 PM   #537
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Why was the Joe Louis so quiet? It sounded like a regular season game. Do you guys not start cheering until the Conference Finals?

Sad as it is, the answer to this question is "Yes." The Wings fans have very high expectations for the team. The first two rounds, hell even the Conference finals perhaps, is all about survival. They are too nervous to cheer. They have seen too many flameouts. Sad, yes. Very sad. They should be happy their team is in the playoffs, but they are not. They are a weird breed those who go the games. I must admit, though I haven't been to a home playoff game at the Joe since 1997, I have rarely gotten more pissed off watching hockey at the Joe than at any other time. The majority of Wings fans bug me to no end. It's sad. Very sad. (Folks around here not included, of course!)
Old 04-23-2004, 07:46 PM   #538
bbor
Pro Starter

Damn...TB looks strong...or the Habs are tired?

Old 04-24-2004, 04:50 PM   #539
Vince
Pro Starter

SHARKS!

So happy about this series so far. Can't really imagine it going better, to be honest.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 05:05 PM   #540
Hurst2112
College Starter

Thank god the wings got their powerplay going. The lidstrom goal (last goal) was a good sign because kippy didn't seem to be screened. Hopefully, this will give them the confidence they need on the PP.

Also, I may be jinxing the subject but who is this Iginla guy everybody keeps talking about? They say he had about 41 goals this season. I saw a guy out there the last two games with the same last name. That must be his brother.

I will watch with interest how Detroit handles the faceoff line changes in Calgary. It's pretty easy to get matchups when you are the first team out on the ice. I susspect that Sutter will make it a point to throw Jerome at the Wings any time he can.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:06 PM   #541
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
SHARKS!

So happy about this series so far. Can't really imagine it going better, to be honest.

What a goal by Chichoo. Best I have seen in years.

Sharks seem to be more than most people thougt they would be.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:30 PM   #542
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Sad as it is, the answer to this question is "Yes." The Wings fans have very high expectations for the team. The first two rounds, hell even the Conference finals perhaps, is all about survival. They are too nervous to cheer. They have seen too many flameouts. Sad, yes. Very sad. They should be happy their team is in the playoffs, but they are not. They are a weird breed those who go the games. I must admit, though I haven't been to a home playoff game at the Joe since 1997, I have rarely gotten more pissed off watching hockey at the Joe than at any other time. The majority of Wings fans bug me to no end. It's sad. Very sad. (Folks around here not included, of course!)

Actually, I think it is less about them being nervous than all the 'suits' in the lower bowl spending half the game in the concourse talking business or talking on their cells. Unfortunately, for half the 'fans' there, its just a place to be seen, a status-symbol type thing. Just look at all the empty seats along the ice, its not just in the first couple minutes of a period. We were actually discussing this during the game today, it makes me sick. But I guess I should expect nothing less when the cheapest seats are going for about $85.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 10:03 PM   #543
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
What a goal by Chichoo. Best I have seen in years.

Sharks seem to be more than most people thougt they would be.

for sure.

Avs played better, but it's still not going to cut it. After Marleau's goal (which was just stupid hockey) they fell apart again. Forsberg is trying to do too much.

the Avs need to put a shadow on Marleau. Marleau is killing them right now...
Old 04-25-2004, 12:12 PM   #544
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Actually, I think it is less about them being nervous than all the 'suits' in the lower bowl spending half the game in the concourse talking business or talking on their cells. Unfortunately, for half the 'fans' there, its just a place to be seen, a status-symbol type thing. Just look at all the empty seats along the ice, its not just in the first couple minutes of a period. We were actually discussing this during the game today, it makes me sick. But I guess I should expect nothing less when the cheapest seats are going for about $85.
Well, I guess that's to be expected. The SaddleDome was like that for several years. Now the place is absolutely insane and is easily louder and rowdier than when we were cup contenders.

Last edited by Karim : 04-25-2004 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:19 PM   #545
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Also, I may be jinxing the subject but who is this Iginla guy everybody keeps talking about? They say he had about 41 goals this season. I saw a guy out there the last two games with the same last name. That must be his brother.

I'm sure he's frustrated as hell and would love to be surrounded with talent like the Wings. Since he's not, he's a marked man and unless OTHER players start scoring to remove the pressure, he'll have to face Maltby all over the ice followed by Lidstrom/Hatcher/Chelios. That's why Sutter called out his linemates at the end of Game 2.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:14 PM   #546
bbor
Pro Starter

Hatcher/Iginla fight was awesome!

Iginla wassssss pissed.

Old 04-25-2004, 01:38 PM   #547
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
I'm sure he's frustrated as hell and would love to be surrounded with talent like the Wings. Since he's not, he's a marked man and unless OTHER players start scoring to remove the pressure, he'll have to face Maltby all over the ice followed by Lidstrom/Hatcher/Chelios. That's why Sutter called out his linemates at the end of Game 2.

Sorry, I am just suprised that a player like Maltby has shut him down so far. And no, I don't expect Iginla to remain quiet for the rest of the series.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:56 PM   #548
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Maltby is one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL. He and Draper have done a number on Iginla through the first two games.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 03:58 PM   #549
Karim
College Starter

Vancouver chose not to put any particular forward or line up against Iginla, just Ohlund and clearly Iginla won that matchup.

Detroit has either Draper or Maltby on him followed by one of the best defenceman in the game in Lidstrom, followed by the meaness and strength of Hatcher, followed by the meaness and craftiness of Chelios. Schneider is no slouch either and Dandenault has speed to burn. Fisher is the "weakest" of the bunch but he's still very physically strong. I haven't seen him enough to comment on his defensive positioning.

Unless Detroit has to start worrying about other players, and Calgary has not given them any reason to do so, Iginla will be a non-factor in this series.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:15 PM   #550
Johnny93g
College Starter

For some reason, I dont think tonights game is critical for Toronto....win or loose, I still think the Leafs can take the series....Now ofcourse, I dont want to go down 2-0 to a team like Philly, but I think Belfour will play better then he did in game 1...and Im expecting Sundin back soon.....and with all the critism of Kaberle lately, im expecting him to play much better tonight.....I just got a feeling Toronto will take the series.....

GO LEAFS GO!!!!
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote