Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-25-2004, 07:01 PM   #551
Simms
FOBL Commish

Who the hell is coaching the Leafs tonight, and what have they done with Pat Quinn?

Aggressive forechecking? Winning one-on-one battles on the boards? Players in front of the Flyers' net? Where has this type of hockey been for the past 6 years?

Geez....now let's see if they can keep it up for longer than 20 minutes.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:13 PM   #552
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Esche!!! Esche!!! Esche!!!

Now if they can split up in Toronto, they're well on the way to sending those cheap shot artists home for the season.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 09:23 PM   #553
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
It's warm, cozy, and nice! Klayman's here. And he LOVES it.

NEVER!

What is this hockey thing all you guys are talking about?
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 09:24 PM   #554
bbor
Pro Starter

Good game by Toronto tonight..Esche beat them....but you can see the Leafs confidence growing.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 11:05 AM   #555
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

well, so far today I've been booted by my webhost and I found out that the video footage I've secretly been taking of my son for the last few weeks for a Mother's Day present is unuseable. and it's barely noon. I can't say I'm getting good vibes for the Avs game tonight.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:09 AM   #556
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
well, so far today I've been booted by my webhost and I found out that the video footage I've secretly been taking of my son for the last few weeks for a Mother's Day present is unuseable. and it's barely noon. I can't say I'm getting good vibes for the Avs game tonight.

Has somebody got a case of the Mondays?
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 11:11 AM   #557
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I hate days like that. I had the same feeling on Thursday when the Wings blew game one versuses the Flames. I had a subpar day at work, poor indoor soccer game, my internet wasn't working on Friday morning (when I wanted to listen to the game). It was bad.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 01:04 PM   #558
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I hate days like that. I had the same feeling on Thursday when the Wings blew game one versuses the Flames. I had a subpar day at work, poor indoor soccer game, my internet wasn't working on Friday morning (when I wanted to listen to the game). It was bad.

Curse of the deadthings....

Where's Nicky

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:04 PM   #559
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

wow...amazing how finding out you are going to have another baby can really turn your day around!
Old 04-26-2004, 05:08 PM   #560
Booj
High School JV

Congrats DD
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 05:17 PM   #561
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

thanks!

(that was a hockey-thread-only announcement, btw - still a little to early to tell the world yet)
Old 04-26-2004, 06:15 PM   #562
Vince
Pro Starter

Congratulations man
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 06:21 PM   #563
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Congrats. Now you've told 5 people

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 06:23 PM   #564
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Way to go DD. The baby will make up for the Avs not winning the Cup for the next decade
Old 04-26-2004, 06:40 PM   #565
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
Way to go DD. The baby will make up for the Avs not winning the Cup for the next decade

the Avs are under some pressure here, because our son was conceived during the Avs last cup run. they need to repeat for consistency's sake.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:55 PM   #566
Vince
Pro Starter

Don't tell me this DD...it's about time the Sharks got out of the second round.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 07:19 PM   #567
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Congrats DD
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:31 PM   #568
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

GO SHARKS!!!!!!!!! man, they look so good right now, marleau is on fire so far!
Old 04-26-2004, 09:15 PM   #569
kingfc22
Head Coach

GOOOOOOOAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!! Brilliant play by Vinny.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:24 PM   #570
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

This is a fun last 10 minutes. You know it will be 10 minutes of the Avs crashing the net, trying to keep their season alive and that's just exciting playoff hockey.

SI

Old 04-26-2004, 09:41 PM   #571
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

man - good game. tough to lose again, of course.

those Sharks are a damn fine team.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:46 PM   #572
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Was the crowd mike on the TSN broadcast not working, or were the Avs fan just completely silent during much of the third period?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:27 PM   #573
bbor
Pro Starter

Too bad for Selanne and Kariya.....they did the right thing with the wrong team.They should have joined gods team(Leafs)

Old 04-26-2004, 11:13 PM   #574
Karim
College Starter

The Pepsi Centre was a tomb.

It's going to be pandemonium tomorrow in Calgary. I think I'll be watching the ABC broadcast to get an American perspective on things and the fact I'm loathing listening to Glen Healy. It's like he works for the Red Wings and I'm sick and tired of hearing how he rode the bench in New York to a Stanley Cup ring.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 11:55 PM   #575
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Too bad for Selanne and Kariya.....they did the right thing with the wrong team.They should have joined gods team(Leafs)

I don't see how. Either way, they're playing golf at the end of the 2nd round
Old 04-27-2004, 12:02 AM   #576
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't see how. Either way, they're playing golf at the end of the 2nd round

LOL

(prick!)

Old 04-27-2004, 12:05 AM   #577
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
It's going to be pandemonium tomorrow in Calgary. I think I'll be watching the ABC broadcast to get an American perspective on things and the fact I'm loathing listening to Glen Healy. It's like he works for the Red Wings and I'm sick and tired of hearing how he rode the bench in New York to a Stanley Cup ring.

I agree. Healy is one of the worst colormen on CBC, although that isn't really saying much. I don't know what CBC executive thought analysis from a journeyman goalkeeper with a lifetime .380 winning percentage and no personality was a good idea, but it is not.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:06 AM   #578
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
LOL

(prick!)

Old 04-27-2004, 03:29 AM   #579
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
wow...amazing how finding out you are going to have another baby can really turn your day around!

Wow! Congrats, D2!!

Give me your address and I'll send over a tiny little Red Wings jersey for the kid!
Old 04-27-2004, 03:44 AM   #580
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Too bad for Selanne and Kariya.....they did the right thing with the wrong team.They should have joined gods team(Wings)

Agreed!
Old 04-27-2004, 05:18 AM   #581
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
It's going to be pandemonium tomorrow in Calgary.

With as loud and hyped as the crowd is supposed to be, I would be happy with the Wings splitting the pair in Calgary and getting home ice advantage back. All in all, should be a great couple of games, especially the first period tonight.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 07:06 AM   #582
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Man, that was a boring game last night. And then the only goal is scored off the goalie's back. That like a 1-0 baseball game where the pitcher wild pitches home the only run.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 07:08 AM   #583
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

Congrats! Our second one is due within the next 2-3 weeks.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:08 AM   #584
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Speaking of home ice advantage... would it seem whiney and unbecoming of me to point out that the Leafs had a better record than Philadelphia, but the Flyers got home-ice advantage due to the NHL's continuing, stubborn insistance on pretending its divisions mean something?
Old 04-27-2004, 08:18 AM   #585
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Speaking of home ice advantage... would it seem whiney and unbecoming of me to point out that the Leafs had a better record than Philadelphia, but the Flyers got home-ice advantage due to the NHL's continuing, stubborn insistance on pretending its divisions mean something?

Considering that teams play more games against the teams in their division than they do non-divisional teams, I'd say that the divisions do mean something.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:23 AM   #586
Karim
College Starter

Quote:

Well, I've always wanted to see a 1-16 tournament. I hate having to play rivals in the first round and then someone like Carolina in the Stanley Cup. Imagine Phil/NJ or Tor/Mon or Det/Col or Cgy/Edm or Chi/Stl etc. for the Stanley Cup.

But of course it will never happen unless I get a customized hockey sim
Old 04-27-2004, 10:25 AM   #587
Karim
College Starter

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

More criticism of Bettman... The plight of the Canadiens under Bettman akin to the Yankees and Expos switching places.... interesting analogy.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:33 AM   #588
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
Considering that teams play more games against the teams in their division than they do non-divisional teams, I'd say that the divisions do mean something.
But how does it make sense to reward the team with the weakest division by giving them a higher seed? The Leafs had to play in a division with four playoff teams and a fifth that just missed, and still finished with more points than the Flyers, who play in a division with lousy teams like the Pens and Rangers, not to mention the Islanders.

That sentence had too many commas.

Anyway, it never made much sense to me and every year it seems to result in at least one matchup where the "better" team (based on the regular season, at least) is the lower seed. I'd like to see them seed based on standings, or at the very least drop the automatic seeds for division winners after round one.

All of which is sour grapes now, of course, but still...
Old 04-27-2004, 11:09 AM   #589
bbor
Pro Starter

I heart 1-16 playoff treeh

Old 04-27-2004, 11:28 AM   #590
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
But how does it make sense to reward the team with the weakest division by giving them a higher seed? The Leafs had to play in a division with four playoff teams and a fifth that just missed, and still finished with more points than the Flyers, who play in a division with lousy teams like the Pens and Rangers, not to mention the Islanders.

That sentence had too many commas.

Anyway, it never made much sense to me and every year it seems to result in at least one matchup where the "better" team (based on the regular season, at least) is the lower seed. I'd like to see them seed based on standings, or at the very least drop the automatic seeds for division winners after round one.

All of which is sour grapes now, of course, but still...

Agreed...though i still think we will be ok in this series....just got a feeling

GO LEAFS GO
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 12:04 PM   #591
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, I've always wanted to see a 1-16 tournament. I hate having to play rivals in the first round and then someone like Carolina in the Stanley Cup. Imagine Phil/NJ or Tor/Mon or Det/Col or Cgy/Edm or Chi/Stl etc. for the Stanley Cup.
My suggestion:

1. Get rid of the division winner automatic seeding. Rank the conferences 1-8.

2. Once the semi-finals are up, rerank the teams 1-4 and match them up that way. That would result in inter-conference matchups some years, but not others.

Like you, I just can't stand the idea of never having a TOR/MON or DET/COL Stanley Cup.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:13 PM   #592
henry296
College Starter

The 1-16 might be really hard in the future because of the new NHL proposal to eliminate inter conference games and move to a 72 game schedule.

Todd
Old 04-27-2004, 02:11 PM   #593
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Plus they want to add a couple of teams to the 16 that make the playoffs.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:21 PM   #594
Karim
College Starter

Thumbs up

Someone was outside the Red Wing's hotel this morning with a bullhorn, making sure the Wings wouldn't sleep in for tonight's game.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:39 PM   #595
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Eesh. I really hope not.

Don't get me wrong. I think a much higher percentage of teams should make the post season. Let's say... 16 out of 24?
Old 04-27-2004, 05:29 PM   #596
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You can't be serious. I mean, I love the playoffs, but they're already quite long. And, like the NBA, some teams get in that just aren't that good. Keep it at 8 teams per conference and 16 games to win the cup.

SI

Old 04-27-2004, 06:12 PM   #597
klayman
College Benchwarmer

The thinking is that the NHL has expanded all these years, but still the same amount of teams are making the playoffs as before. It used to be just 5 teams that were out of the quest for the cup, and now it is nearly half of the league. Sadly it all boils down to money. The owners don't really care if you or I think the playoffs are too long, they just want the couple of extra million a playoff series would generate.

What I would like to see is more teams added to the playoffs (maybe 1 to 20) but see the season drastically shortened to somewhere around 66-72 games. Plus, I don't feel there is really a need for the first series to be a 7 game one, when 5 would suffice. But that's just me, I'm a radical when it comes to hockey.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:49 PM   #598
Karim
College Starter

If the playoffs were ranked 1-16, heres how the matchups would have been:

(1) Detroit vs. (16) Nashville
(2) Tampa Bay vs. (15) New York Islanders
(3) San Jose vs. (14) St. Louis
(4) Boston vs. (13) Montreal
(5) Toronto vs. (12) Calgary
(6) Ottawa vs. (11) Dallas
(7) Vancouver vs. (10) Colorado
(8) Philadelphia vs. (9) New Jersey

I'd like to see no more teams in the playoffs, a reduced schedule and the Stanley Cup has to be finished by May 31st. Going until June 6th as they did one year is just ridiculous. We'd see better quality hockey and fewer injuries I think, if we'd give these guys' bodies a chance to heal.

Hmmm.... Can you imagine a customizable hockey sim ala OOTP6? I think I'd have enough room on my hard drive for EHM:FE and a fictious league...
Old 04-27-2004, 09:05 PM   #599
bbor
Pro Starter

Poor Montreal...what a heart breaker

Old 04-27-2004, 09:51 PM   #600
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
(5) Toronto vs. (12) Calgary
(salivates)