Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-30-2004, 02:11 PM   #751
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
And while the giveaway was heartbreaking, I'm with you re: Todd Gill....I always liked him. Solid, solid d-man. And IIRC, the Leafs and Hawks were both horribly horribly bad that season...but one of them had to make the playoffs. All the giveaway did was save the Leafs what would have likely been a humiliating sweep in the first round. Was it really *that* big a deal?
Two things that most Leaf fans don't know (or have forgotten) about The Giveaway.

1.) The Leafs needed to win that game to make the playoffs. If they tied, the Hawks were in. So the goal didn't actually cost the Leafs anything other than another minute or two of overtime to try to score the winning goal. Gill took a risk, but in that situation you kind of have to.

2.) Gill was actually playing wing in that game. So next time you see the highlight, ask yourself "Where the hell were the two defencemen?" A little puck support would have been nice.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:29 PM   #752
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

OMFG - am I missing something, or is the Avs/Sharks game actually not on DirecTV?
Old 04-30-2004, 04:09 PM   #753
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Leafs I loved:
- Wendel Clark. I am naming my first-born son after Wendel Clark. I am not joking about this.
- Bill Berg. For reasons outlined a few posts above. Also my wife's all-time favorite player
- Todd Gill. He got a bad rap.
- Mike Foligno. Jump, Mikey, jump!
- Allan Bester. Of course.
- Tim Bernhardt, Rick St. Croix, Mark LaForrest. Any crappy Leafs goalie of the 1980s, actually.
- Ken Baumgartner. Smartest goon of all time.
- Tie Domi. Respect where it's due.
- Brad Smith. Motor City Smitty!
- Peter Zezel. Best defensive center the Leafs ever had.
- Ed Olczyck. Don't know why, but he really grew on me after he left.
- Bob Rouse + Sylvain Lefvebre. Thanks for 1993, boys.

Leafs I hated:
- Garth Butcher. What a bum
- Sergio Momesso. Worse than Butcher. Just terrible as a Leaf. Plus I never forgave him for his OT goal in 1989
- Robert Reichel. Although he's trying hard to win me over this year.
- Kevin McLelland, Kevin Maguire, Nick Kypreos. Come on, it's Toronto, we deserve real tough guys!
- Trevor Kidd. Sieve.
- Larry Murphy. What a bum. Completely quit on the Leafs. I'm glad they ran him out of town.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:30 PM   #754
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Leafs I loved:
- Wendel Clark. I am naming my first-born son after Wendel Clark. I am not joking about this.
- Bill Berg. For reasons outlined a few posts above. Also my wife's all-time favorite player
- Todd Gill. He got a bad rap.
- Mike Foligno. Jump, Mikey, jump!
- Allan Bester. Of course.
- Tim Bernhardt, Rick St. Croix, Mark LaForrest. Any crappy Leafs goalie of the 1980s, actually.
- Ken Baumgartner. Smartest goon of all time.
- Tie Domi. Respect where it's due.
- Peter Zezel. Best defensive center the Leafs ever had.
- Ed Olczyck. Don't know why, but he really grew on me after he left.
- Bob Rouse + Sylvain Lefvebre. Thanks for 1993, boys.

Leafs I hated:
- Garth Butcher. What a bum
- Sergio Momesso. Worse than Butcher. Just terrible as a Leaf. Plus I never forgave him for his OT goal in 1989
- Robert Reichel. Although he's trying hard to win me over this year.
- Kevin McLelland, Kevin Maguire, Nick Kypreos. Come on, it's Toronto, we deserve real tough guys!
- Trevor Kidd. Sieve.
- Larry Murphy. What a bum. Completely quit on the Leafs. I'm glad they ran him out of town.

After reading your list...I realize my list is too small.....I could add alot of names of players I really like.....Althoug I did like Larry Murphy more then others.....he was supposed to score and did....I also really liked Todd Gill, based on how long he was a Leaf....Im to young to remember the giveaway you guys are talking about.....Al Secord is another name that comes to mind....I remember liking him as a kid.....John Brophy was the man......and someone I forgot to mention who i hate...and I really did hate him....DMITRI KHRISTICH....enough said

GO LEAFS GO
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 06:29 PM   #755
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Yes! I totally forgot about Smitty.

He scored a goal in an early-round series against St. Louis one year. It was early in the series (either game one or three), and early in the first period (in other words, a largely meaningless goal), but I remember him streaking down the wing after a loose puck and just ripping a slapshot past whoever the Blues goalie was...

I have not seen MLG or the ACC erupt like that after a Leaf goal before or since.

Great stuff.

Last edited by Simms : 04-30-2004 at 06:31 PM. Reason: typos
Simms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 07:01 PM   #756
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

no, really - no Avs on TV? seriously?
Old 04-30-2004, 07:20 PM   #757
Simms
FOBL Commish

Avs/Sharks are off til tomorrow....gotta make sure they bring in that huge Saturday afternoon audience on ABC.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:05 PM   #758
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Avs/Sharks are off til tomorrow....gotta make sure they bring in that huge Saturday afternoon audience on ABC.

yeah...but they don't seem to be on tomorrow. ABC is going to show the Wings, and I don't see a Centre Ice Listing for the Avs.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:08 PM   #759
henry296
College Starter

DD,

I see it listed on channel 741 tomorrow at 3 PM.

Todd
Old 04-30-2004, 08:23 PM   #760
Simms
FOBL Commish

In non-Leaf-related news....

Good call: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

Didn't think they'd have the balls to do it.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:45 PM   #761
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:

I thought this was a Leaf thread....

Very solid game by the Leafs....Sundin came out to play.....Belak wasn't as noticeable....but the other so called scrubs (Wilm, Kilger) played very smart....Mogilny seems to have this look in his eyes like he is ready to take his game to the next level....not that that means scoring more.......

GO LEAFS GO!!!!!
Old 04-30-2004, 08:52 PM   #762
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
I thought this was a Leaf thread....

Oh, it is....but I wasn't going to say a word about the game until it was actually over.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:56 PM   #763
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296
DD,

I see it listed on channel 741 tomorrow at 3 PM.

Todd

THANKS! (I swear, that wasn't there earlier)
Old 04-30-2004, 08:58 PM   #764
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

re: Tie Domi's CBC interview.

what was the Don Cherry thing about?
Old 04-30-2004, 08:58 PM   #765
Karim
College Starter

Ville deserves it. It was a bonehead play that makes a depleted lineup have to insert yet another AHLer.

I know injuries are part of the game but it's amazing the Flames are still in it with 6 regulars out. It's more amazing that they beat the Wings playing 5 defencemen in Game 3.

I like the Leafs makeup except for Antropov, Ponikorovsky and Reichel. Why those stiffs are on the team is beyond me.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 09:04 PM   #766
Simms
FOBL Commish

DD:

Yesterday's Front Page News.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:13 PM   #767
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

interesting.
but, hasn't he always been like that?
Old 04-30-2004, 09:18 PM   #768
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Oh, it is....but I wasn't going to say a word about the game until it was actually over.

Definatly....don't want to screw it up
Old 04-30-2004, 09:19 PM   #769
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
interesting.
but, hasn't he always been like that?

Well, yeah.

It's all speculation at this point....he made an impromptu appearance on the afternoon drive sports radio show yesterday. He sounded very much like a guy who didn't really want to leave, but if he does, he's perfectly fine with that. Swore CBC hasn't actually said anything to him, so he couldn't elaborate on the story, but conventional wisdom would suggest even CBC isn't so stupid as to get rid of their mealticket (which he is, whether they ever admit it or not).

The entire country went apeshit a couple of years ago when CBC tried to play hardball with Ron McLean....can't imagine what the firestorm would be like after Don.

Last edited by Simms : 04-30-2004 at 09:19 PM.
Simms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 09:21 PM   #770
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Well, yeah.

It's all speculation at this point....he made an impromptu appearance on the afternoon drive sports radio show yesterday. He sounded very much like a guy who didn't really want to leave, but if he does, he's perfectly fine with that. Swore CBC hasn't actually said anything to him, so he couldn't elaborate on the story, but conventional wisdom would suggest even CBC isn't so stupid as to get rid of their mealticket (which he is, whether they ever admit it or not).

The entire country went apeshit a couple of years ago when CBC tried to play hardball with Ron McLean....can't imagine what the firestorm would be like after Don.

Ya, after that whole Ron McLean thing, I can't see the CBC not bringing him back.....I dont think the country would except HNIC without Don Cherry....I wouldnt know what to do during the first intermission....Don's been there my whole life
Old 04-30-2004, 09:31 PM   #771
bbor
Pro Starter

Wow....Where have the Flyers gone? they are a shadow of the team that played in game 1.Not that i mind

3 game series now....Looks like a 7 gamer.

Who pisses in Mogilnys' cornflakes recently?

BTW.....Another fave Leaf....Jeff Brubaker....i can still here the chants of BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU in the cashbox on Carlton

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 09:34 PM   #772
Johnny93g
College Starter

Anyone remember the GUYYYYYYYYYY chants for Guy Larose....at least I think it was Guy Larose....played a handful of games in the late 80's or early 90's for the Leafs.....I remember going to a few games and every loving him......
Old 04-30-2004, 09:34 PM   #773
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

ok, HNIC question 2:

during the Satellite Hot Stove thingamabog, John Davidson is on and always seems to completely hate some other guy (Al something or another?). What's the story there
Old 04-30-2004, 11:30 PM   #774
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
during the Satellite Hot Stove thingamabog, John Davidson is on and always seems to completely hate some other guy (Al something or another?). What's the story there
That's Al Strachan of the Toronto Sun. He's generally a weaselly little guy, and Davidson is Mr. Self Important US Hockey Bigshot, so they're like oil and water. Brian Burke also hates Strachan.

Jeff Brubaker... nice one. Good times.

Even though he was mentioned elsewhere, I can't believe I left Steve Thomas off my list. Stumpy!

Good games by the Leafs tonight, but not a good effort for the Flyers. I have a bad feeling this series is shaping into another one of those "home team wins every game" affairs, similar to TOR/NYI in 2002.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:39 PM   #775
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
That's Al Strachan of the Toronto Sun. He's generally a weaselly little guy, and Davidson is Mr. Self Important US Hockey Bigshot, so they're like oil and water. Brian Burke also hates Strachan.

Actually, most of the hockey watching and reading public hates Al Strachan....at least the ones I know.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:44 PM   #776
Simms
FOBL Commish

By the way DD, there's more on the Don Cherry situation here (from the best pure sports blogger out there...check out the rest of this guy's site).
Old 05-01-2004, 01:09 AM   #777
bbor
Pro Starter

Thx for the linky Simms...good stuff...i'd be interested in seeing the rest of your hockey resources also....as i have none of my own

Are we to suffer through another Saturday night with no HNIC game ???

I am starting to get a bit upset with this catering to ABC who draws flies for their telecasts.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:29 AM   #778
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

They had to after he made that hit. That was indefensible... even against the Red Wings.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 06:19 AM   #779
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue

As for f*cking VILE Niemenen, what the hell? His ass should be (and will likely be) suspended for the next game.

It had to be done. It was too blatant and stupid. Given the timing of the hit, the five minute major, the misconduct, it was written in stone.

The Flames have played amazingly well despite the injuries. If the Wings survive this series, they could be in a world of trouble with San Jose and/or Colorado. The Wings are getting adequate, but not dominating goaltending, and many of their "big guns" (see, Shanahan, Hull, Zetterberg, Datsyuk) aren't firing all that well, if at all.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 12:36 PM   #780
Karim
College Starter

Some of the names back when I use to like the Leafs:

- Dan Daoust
- Daniel Marois
- Alan Bester
- Tom Fergus
- Chris Kotsopoulos
- Al Iafrate
- Wendel Clark
- Lou Franceschetti
Old 05-01-2004, 12:47 PM   #781
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Some of the names back when I use to like the Leafs:

- Dan Daoust
- Daniel Marois
- Alan Bester
- Tom Fergus
- Chris Kotsopoulos
- Al Iafrate
- Wendel Clark
- Lou Franceschetti
I loved Iafrate. You just don't see a lot of pro atheletes who ride motorcycles, grow their hair out long even though they're bald, and smoke a few packs a day. He was everything David Wells thinks he is. All-time great Iafrate memory: when he wore his helmet during the all-star skills competition so people wouldn't realize how bald he was.

Another great name: Bill Derlago. As a kid, I just thought it was cool that we had a player named "Builder Lego".

Another guy I loved: Rob Pearson. I don't know why. He was slow, had no hands and couldn't fight anywhere near as well as he thought he could. But I just liked having a guy around who was ready to snap at any time.

More guys I hate:

Mike Craig: What a bum. I can't believe we traded Zezel and Grant Marshall for him.

Jamie Baker. What a bum. I can't believe we traded Gill for him. Baker's only positive was that he lead to one of the all-time great hockey one-liners. The leafs acquired him shortly after they picked up Garth Butcher, and one sportswriter quipped "Somebody stop Fletcher before he goes out and trades for a candlestick-maker."
Old 05-01-2004, 01:02 PM   #782
Karim
College Starter

Another black eye for hockey during an AHL playoff game between Hamilton and Cleveland. Alexander Perezhogin swung his stick like a baseball bat and caught Garrett Stafford square in the face. Absolutely sickening. You have been warned...

http://user.fundy.net/ranold/Perezhogin.wmv
Old 05-01-2004, 01:32 PM   #783
bbor
Pro Starter

ML....Was'nt Craig not a FA signing....and the compensation was Zezel and Marshall?

The Leafs offered another player...i can't recall who.....and the stars countered with those 2....i believe the arbitor can only choose between the 2 deals offered.

None the less...Craig was an all world POS when he got here.

Old 05-01-2004, 01:45 PM   #784
Simms
FOBL Commish

Isn't Mike Craig a regular on the Spengler Cup circuit these days?
Old 05-01-2004, 01:55 PM   #785
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Trade info on Zezel...I loved that guy when he was here.

Quote:
Traded to St. Louis by Philadelphia for Mike Bullard, November 29, 1988. Traded to Washington by St. Louis with Mike Lalor for Geoff Courtnall, July 13, 1990. Traded to Toronto by Washington with Bob Rouse for Al Iafrate, January 16, 1991. Transferred to Dallas by Toronto with Grant Marshall as compensation for Toronto's signing of free agent Mike Craig, August 10, 1994. Signed as a free agent by St. Louis, October 19, 1995. Traded to New Jersey by St. Louis for Chris McAlpine and New Jersey's 9th round choice (James Desmarais) in 1999 Entry Draft, February 11, 1997. Traded to Vancouver by New Jersey for Vancouver's 5th round choice (Anton But) in 1998 Entry Draft, February 5, 1998.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 01:56 PM   #786
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
ML....Was'nt Craig not a FA signing....and the compensation was Zezel and Marshall?

The Leafs offered another player...i can't recall who.....and the stars countered with those 2....i believe the arbitor can only choose between the 2 deals offered.
You have it half right. He was a FA signing, but Marshall/Zezel was the Leafs offer. The Stars countered by asking for Kenny Jonsson (which they knew was unreasonable, but they figured they'd be happy with Zezel so why not take a shot). The arbitrator chose the Leafs' offer, and the rest was history.

FA arbitration trivia: When the Blues signed Shanahan from the Devils, the arbitrator stunned the hockey world by agreeing with the Devils' request for Scott Stevens as compensation. Which two players had the Blues offered?
Old 05-01-2004, 01:59 PM   #787
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Murray Baron and Turgeon?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 02:51 PM   #788
Vince
Pro Starter

HELL YEAH SHARKS!!!

Sorry DD.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 03:09 PM   #789
Vince
Pro Starter

Holy crap...Nabokov is my hero.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:34 PM   #790
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Shit, I hope Yzerman is going to be ok
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 03:36 PM   #791
Vince
Pro Starter

What happened? I'm watching the other game...

EDIT - Ouch...they just showed it.

Last edited by Vince : 05-01-2004 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:44 PM   #792
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Can Fischer do something useful in the playoffs please? All he is doing is playing out of position and taking penalties.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 03:48 PM   #793
Vince
Pro Starter

Wow...one period left. Let's go Sharks!
Old 05-01-2004, 04:03 PM   #794
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
FA arbitration trivia: When the Blues signed Shanahan from the Devils, the arbitrator stunned the hockey world by agreeing with the Devils' request for Scott Stevens as compensation. Which two players had the Blues offered?

Thats a great question

could it be CuJo,
and hmm....
Adam Oates?
Old 05-01-2004, 04:11 PM   #795
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
Thats a great question

could it be CuJo,
and hmm....
Adam Oates?
CuJo is correct. Oates is not. The other guy is still an active NHLer.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:12 PM   #796
Vince
Pro Starter

Holy crap!!!

My heart about stopped in that little series when the puck just dribbled along the line...

Last edited by Vince : 05-01-2004 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:12 PM   #797
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
CuJo is correct. Oates is not. The other guy is still an active NHLer.

Barely.

Brind'Amour wasn't it? (I'd forgotten about Cujo though....wow)
Old 05-01-2004, 04:15 PM   #798
Vince
Pro Starter

Man, you can really tell the Avs are going all-out now.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:15 PM   #799
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Brind'Amour wasn't it? (I'd forgotten about Cujo though....wow)
Bingo.

(So how would hockey history have changed if the Devils had acquired CuJo right before he broke into the upper tier of goalies...)
Old 05-01-2004, 04:22 PM   #800
Vince
Pro Starter

DAMN it.

Last edited by Vince : 05-01-2004 at 04:23 PM.