Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-04-2004, 09:38 PM   #951
Johnny93g
College Starter

Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 09:42 PM   #952
kingfc22
Head Coach

Finally! And home-ice advantage in the Western Finals too.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:42 PM   #953
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

The Avs are out, too.

Now...COME ON FLAMES!!!!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 10:04 PM   #954
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Crap.

(Slumps over. Briefly looks up...)

Crap.

(Slump)

that sums it up pretty well
Old 05-04-2004, 10:15 PM   #955
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

time to go play UT2K4 and blow some stuff up
Old 05-04-2004, 10:18 PM   #956
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
that sums it up pretty well
(Poors DD a shot from the Bottle of Woe and slides it across the bar to him.)
Old 05-04-2004, 10:28 PM   #957
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
(Poors DD a shot from the Bottle of Woe and slides it across the bar to him.)

Leave me the bottle when your done
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 10:42 PM   #958
Simms
FOBL Commish

*half-heartedly waves in hopes of getting the bartender's attention*
Old 05-04-2004, 10:43 PM   #959
Simms
FOBL Commish

Dola....

Usually it takes me a day or two to really recover emotionally from an early Leaf playoff exit. Tonight, it literally took less than 30 minutes.

You'd think I was getting used to this or something.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:43 PM   #960
Simms
FOBL Commish

Double dola...

GO FLAMES!
Old 05-05-2004, 12:03 AM   #961
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
*half-heartedly waves in hopes of getting the bartender's attention*

*looks up from the bar with bleary, blood-shot eyes, as he sits besides Hurst, Ksyrup, and the others* Whas.... Whas.... Whass took ya ssso long, boysh?
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 12:15 AM   #962
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
*looks up from the bar with bleary, blood-shot eyes, as he sits besides Hurst, Ksyrup, and the others* Whas.... Whas.... Whass took ya ssso long, boysh?

hehe, good one.

I picture about 6 guys at the Front Office Football Central bar and grill, sitting at the bar with about 45 shot glasses, couple packs of smokes, several empty pitchers, and a whole bunch of drunken hugs and tears.

Yet, we still manage to stay and watch the rest of the playoffs, if only for an excuse to wallow a little longer with fallen comrades.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 12:29 AM   #963
bbor
Pro Starter

Arghghhhh....What a shot by Roenick...The guy is nails when it comes to this sorta stuff.

Too bad for Domi to miss that chance at the end of the 3rd...he played a great game.

Tuckers hit on Kapenen was just .......i'm speechless.

Sorry Vince....but i gotta throw my support behind Calgary now.

Calgary/TB would make an interesting final.

What a shitty way for Ronnie Franchise to end his career

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 12:54 AM   #964
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Thanks for the 24 hour reprvie, SI. It's much appreciated. After the 24 hours are up, I do fully expect, nay, demand things return to normal!

Well, you're 24 hours are up. Hope the Wings enjoy their summer on the links right next to the Hawks. Enjoy that President's Trophy

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 01:00 AM   #965
Hurst2112
College Starter

Every team should have a chance to win the cup more than twice in their life.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 06:57 AM   #966
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Well, you're 24 hours are up. Hope the Wings enjoy their summer on the links right next to the Hawks. Enjoy that President's Trophy

SI

Enjoy another lottery pick in the draft
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 06:59 AM   #967
ice4277
Pro Rookie

dola

Sorry to see that happen Leafs fans. You guys will get your Cup soon, I think.

A Calgary/Toronto finals would have been a classic; maybe some other time.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:38 PM   #968
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
For anyone in the NHL hockey pool... results after round 2:

sahyder1 29
thomasthomas 29
BruceM 28
chrisj 26
ill16ca 26
BigBambino 21
Honolulu Blue(FOFC) 19
sachmo71(FOFC) 19
SoxWin 18
LivnLegend 15
PittPanther 15
doubles 12
Muppetus Galacticus 12
kq76 11
Draft Dodger 9
Long_Long_Name 7
PrestonKaye 7
KidKala 5
Xenimus0 2
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:55 PM   #969
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Round 3...

calgary over San Jose in 6 (yikes!)
Tampa over Philly in 6
Old 05-06-2004, 06:06 AM   #970
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I don't care too much who wins out of this round. My criteria for it being a very good playoff tournament primarily involved New Jersey, Detroit, Dallas, and Colorado NOT winning the Cup. Since that is what we are looking at, I am absolutely thrilled. I would 'prefer' that it be between Calgary and Tampa Bay, but any result is a good one at this point.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 11:19 AM   #971
bbor
Pro Starter

Iwould say

Calgary in 7

TB in 6

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:29 AM   #972
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Iwould say

Calgary in 7

TB in 6

San Jose in 7

TB in 6.

I got every round wrong last time. I should have never gotten so sentimental...
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:49 PM   #973
Vince
Pro Starter

San Jose in 5

Tampa Bay in 6.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 07:24 PM   #974
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

May 15, 2004
Game 4: Eastern Conference Finals
Philadelphia Flyers vs Tampa Bay Lightning
I AM THERE!!!

Go Flyers!!!

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 05-07-2004 at 04:41 AM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 08:54 PM   #975
bbor
Pro Starter

Nice job Bsak...have fun

Old 05-07-2004, 12:21 AM   #976
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

great quote from Bill Scheft in this weeks SI (which I'm suddenly getting even though I never subscribed)

on the TB/Montreal series:
"The series was over so fast the Canadiens' Mike Ribeiro had to fake an injury in the handshake line."
Old 05-08-2004, 06:10 PM   #977
Karim
College Starter

Looks like TB is for real. A lot of play is being made up here that 200 seats were being sold at $9. But I guess you do what you have to to sell out the building.

Can you imagine TB winning the Stanley Cup and then post-CBA the team is contracted?
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 11:56 PM   #978
bbor
Pro Starter

I don't think there will be contraction in the NHL.

Has'nt TB been selling seats for 9 bucks all season?

TB will walk away with this series as long as they continue to play their game...which is built on speed.If they try to play grind it out hockey the flyers will beat them.

Old 05-09-2004, 12:33 AM   #979
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
TB will walk away with this series as long as they continue to play their game...which is built on speed.If they try to play grind it out hockey the flyers will beat them.

I think that's exactly the way the Sharks/Flames series will go as well. The Sharks need to keep it at their own pace. With the depth we have, and the injury troubles they have, I don't think even the intangibles can keep us from doing that.

That being said, I'm still nervous as all hell...any team that beats the Red Wings scares the hell out of me.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:51 PM   #980
Vince
Pro Starter

Old 05-09-2004, 04:12 PM   #981
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Yet another reason we love playoff hockey:

Quote:
Tim Rattay will have surgery Tuesday morning to repair the torn groin he suffered during Friday's workout. The procedure will be performed by team orthopedist Dr. Michael Dillingham.

"The muscle came off the bone, it was obviously serious," head coach Dennis Erickson said. "He's looking at anywhere from 3-4 months of healing time. We all felt that surgery was the best option and would give him the best chance to heal."

Meanwhile, in Toronto, three different Leafs suffered the same injury in the playoffs. Each one missed between two and four games.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:53 PM   #982
Vince
Pro Starter

Nice.

Wow...the Sharks just turned it on in the second period...completely flip-flopping what is expected out of these two teams (Sharks = best 1st period team in the NHL, Flames = best 2nd period team in the playoffs). Kiprusoff has been out of his mind good, but Calgary is going to have to give him some breathing room. 33 shots on goal already for the Sharks? That's crazy.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:29 PM   #983
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Yay Flames!!!
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 08:38 PM   #984
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

wow - Kiprusoff makes 49 saves to beat his old team. He must be feeling kind of good right now...
Old 05-09-2004, 10:14 PM   #985
Karim
College Starter

Sharks did everything right except score on the 2 minute 5-on-3. It was a BS call on Simon but I guess it all evens out through the course of a series. Still, if Cheechoo had of scored on that trip on Nilsson...

Iginla was completely shut down but still managed to get an assist on the winner...

The Sharks are so much faster than Vancouver or Detroit and that exposed the Calgary defence for the first time in the playoffs...

It was a lucky win and we'll have to play so much better if we want to have a chance in this series.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:17 PM   #986
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Sharks did everything right except score on the 2 minute 5-on-3. It was a BS call on Simon but I guess it all evens out through the course of a series. Still, if Cheechoo had of scored on that trip on Nilsson...

Iginla was completely shut down but still managed to get an assist on the winner...

The Sharks are so much faster than Vancouver or Detroit and that exposed the Calgary defence for the first time in the playoffs...

It was a lucky win and we'll have to play so much better if we want to have a chance in this series.

A young defense, but, gotta love Leopold!

I'm wondering what people think about Calgary, are they just the surprise team of the playoffs, or, are they a contender for the next couple of years.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:37 PM   #987
bbor
Pro Starter

I quite enjoyed Motador scoring the winning goal.He has worked hard as Gauthiers replacment.

Old 05-09-2004, 11:29 PM   #988
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
A young defense, but, gotta love Leopold!

I'm wondering what people think about Calgary, are they just the surprise team of the playoffs, or, are they a contender for the next couple of years.

It depends a lot on two things. One, can they keep together what talent they have after the impending lockout *and* continue to build. Keep Iggy and get him help. They aren't nearly as deep as the "perennial" playoff teams, particularly in the west.

Two, it's all about Miikka. I mean, he had a 1.70 GAA and .933 save percentage this past season and those are downright gawdy numbers. There were a lot of years in the 90s when Jersey wasn't that talented (only a line or two deep) but they were always pretty good because of Brodeur. If Kiprusoff keeps playing like he has the second half of this season and the playoffs, then they could duplicate what New Jersey did for the longest time, relying on defense and a keeper and hoping to score enough to win. But look at Anaheim, Giggy was supposed to do that but he just wasn't as good as he was last year and it exposed quite a few of the weaknesses on the rest of the team.

Then again, this is coming from someone who hasn't really seen any of their games until the playoffs.

SI

Old 05-10-2004, 12:48 AM   #989
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever

The core is obviously Kirprusoff, Regehr and Iginla. The defence is all young with Warrener being the oldest (28). With Dion Phaneuf and Tim Ramholt coming in a couple years, that part of the team looks good.

Up front the plan is obviously to qualify Iginla, hope a new CBA is small/medium market friendly and then try and renegotiate the contract. Kobasew, Sapryking and Lombardi are the future along with potentially Taratukhin, Trubachev and Maki.

So much depends on whether Kirprusoff is long-term the real deal and the outcome of CBA negotiations.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:02 AM   #990
Vince
Pro Starter

Wow. I can't believe that. So many scoring chances for the Sharks, and we couldn't hit any of them. Allowing 3 goals and STILL having a .900+ Save percentage? Jeez. Tough to feel bad about that game, but we still just lost home ice advantage.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:59 AM   #991
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Go Flames!
Old 05-10-2004, 08:33 PM   #992
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Flyers finally woke up today!! 5-0 woo hooo!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:50 AM   #993
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

My source at TSN says the Leafs have called a noon press conference.

Speculation inside TSN right now is that Gary Roberts is done, although it could also be the Belfour resigning.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:52 AM   #994
bbor
Pro Starter

Roberts done as a Leaf?...or just done period?

Papers here are saying he refuses to play again with Quinn.

Old 05-11-2004, 11:00 AM   #995
Simms
FOBL Commish

I heard that about Roberts on the Fan this morning, but they said Rick Curran (Roberts' and Nieuwendyk's agent) says it's not true, and Ferguson has already approached him about extensions for both of them.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:02 AM   #996
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

If not Roberts, it must be Belfour. What else would qualify as a major announcement right now?
Old 05-11-2004, 11:19 AM   #997
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Where are you finding news of this press conference. I can't find any mention on tsn.ca, NHL.com, or ESPN.

SI

Old 05-11-2004, 11:23 AM   #998
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Where are you finding news of this press conference. I can't find any mention on tsn.ca, NHL.com, or ESPN.
A friend who works at TSN (Canadian version of ESPN) sent a note about it.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:26 AM   #999
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

False alarm.

Aparently the "major announcement" is that the Leafs have signed a seven-year deal with a local radio station.

Sigh.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:30 AM   #1000
bbor
Pro Starter

Mojo?