Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-17-2004, 10:37 PM   #1051
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Don't worry, Vince. The Sharks will win game 6 in Calgary. Of course, the Flames will win game 7 in San Jose.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:49 PM   #1052
Vince
Pro Starter

Man, I haven't been this bothered by a single sports game since game 6 of the world series two years ago.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 11:05 PM   #1053
Vince
Pro Starter

Dola - I have to give it to them...Calgary's defense is winning them this game. The Sharks can't put together any kind of sustained attack.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:36 PM   #1054
bbor
Pro Starter

I was wondering what took you so long to comment Vince

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 11:46 PM   #1055
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Yay Flames!
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 03:22 AM   #1056
Karim
College Starter

Re: Team Canada

The only reason Brewer is on the team is Lowe. I used to be high on him like everyone else but his play since the Olympics has been awful. Surprised with Richards and Maltby and probably would have gone with Primeau and Madden. Actually, I though Madden would be a shoe in.

Re: Western Conference Finals

Can anyone win a home game? At least the next one, please?
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 08:03 AM   #1057
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

How about Team Sweden.... no Kenny Jonsson. Apparently his eight-year streak of being the most over-rated defenceman in the league may finally be coming to an end.

It always bothered me that he was considered a superstar, mainly because he was traded from the Leafs when he was just breaking in. At the time, the Toronto media ripped the Leafs for trading a future star, so ever since we've all had to pretend that he did indeed become a great player. Nobody seemed willing to admit he was a soft, injury-prone offensive defenceman who didn't seem to get a lot of points.

Think Tomas Kaberle, but with multiple concussions.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:33 PM   #1058
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Can anyone win a home game? At least the next one, please?

NO. NOT the next one. Game 7, yes. NOT Game 6.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:58 PM   #1059
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Game 6 home win sounds fine to me.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:26 PM   #1060
kingfc22
Head Coach

I was at the game last night and I can't believe that the Sharks forgot to show up. Down 2-0 was bad enough especially when you count in that one of the goals was short-handed. But McLaren giving up on the play and watching Calgary skate down the ice 2 on 1 was even more disturbing. It just seemed like they didn't care. And then in the thrid period instead of trying to punish the Flames with some hits because they obviously weren't going to score they decided to just skate around and do nothing.

Vince, I agree with your Game 6 WS analogy. I was so disgusted walking out of the Tank last night.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:43 PM   #1061
bbor
Pro Starter

Mclaren looked bush league on that 2 on 1 he gave up on.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:27 PM   #1062
Vince
Pro Starter

Well, in the Sharks' defense, they were still throwing some mean checks in the 3rd period, and I'm happy that they didn't let the game degenerate into meaningless fighting like happened in Calgary. However, their overall effort in the 3rd period was completely lifeless. Calgary was playing great defense...but when the Sharks turn up the heat, even Calgary's BEST day defensively shouldn't limit them to under 20 shots on the night. That was absolutely pathetic.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:40 AM   #1063
Simms
FOBL Commish

ABC is out. NBC is in.

Or so says this report.

'Course, now that I'm back in the homeland with regular access to CBC/TSN, this doesn't really affect me much. But it sounds like an interesting arrangement, at any rate.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:12 PM   #1064
Karim
College Starter

7 regular season games, 6 playoff games in the "traditional" Saturday afternoon time slot and games 3-7 of the Stanley Cup.

I guess beggars can't be choosers...
Old 05-19-2004, 01:12 PM   #1065
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I still can't believe that American TV has ruined the Saturday night hockey game in the playoffs
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 01:20 PM   #1066
Hurst2112
College Starter

Does this mean that John Tesh will be doing the music for the NHL too?
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 03:34 PM   #1067
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
I still can't believe that American TV has ruined the Saturday night hockey game in the playoffs

The rationale was that ABC paid more than CBC. Well, since now NBC is paying nothing up front, shouldn't CBC get first call on when to air games?

Yeah, whatever...
Old 05-19-2004, 03:42 PM   #1068
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
Does this mean that John Tesh will be doing the music for the NHL too?

Not unless they want a bunch of homicidal hockey fans (I mean moreso than usual)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 04:03 PM   #1069
klayman
College Benchwarmer

eh, hockey is hockey. Who cares when it is on, just as long as it is on somewhere.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:01 PM   #1070
kingfc22
Head Coach

Come on Sharks!! Bring it back to the tank for Game 7.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:04 PM   #1071
Vince
Pro Starter

Hear hear. I am so nervous about this game tonight
Old 05-19-2004, 07:36 PM   #1072
klayman
College Benchwarmer

be nervous! Go Flames!
Old 05-19-2004, 08:03 PM   #1073
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo

Agreed....40 Americans watching hockey is apprently more important than 4 million Canadians.

Old 05-19-2004, 09:41 PM   #1074
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Agreed....40 Americans watching hockey is apprently more important than 4 million Canadians.
Actually, it's down to 39. Gus had to take his wife shopping.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:10 PM   #1075
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Actually, it's down to 39. Gus had to take his wife shopping.

Yeah, but we're a boisterous bunch.

SI

Old 05-19-2004, 11:22 PM   #1076
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Well that was cool.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:29 PM   #1077
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Come on, I can't believe that you actually believe that.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:31 PM   #1078
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Man, I must say, the Flamers have moved above the Avalanche and Detriot for my most hated team in the NHL. The only thing that can make me feel better about the Sharks getting spanked, is that an American based hockey team wins the Stanley Cup! Come on Flyers or Lightning!
Old 05-20-2004, 12:24 AM   #1079
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
Come on, I can't believe that you actually believe that.

Cards...All we hear in Canada is how no one watches hockey in the states.It is frustrating for us then that all the games are dictated to by American networks.

It would be like football games being played on Tuesday afternoons because the NFL wants to capture the Japanese market.

Old 05-20-2004, 12:49 AM   #1080
Vince
Pro Starter

Crap.

(Slumps over. Briefly looks up...)

Crap.

(Slump)
Old 05-20-2004, 12:50 AM   #1081
Vince
Pro Starter

Dola - Congrats to the Flames. They definitely outplayed the hell out of the Sharks for the last two games. Their defense was incredible...the Sharks combined for 38 shots on goal in the last two games of the series. So hard to be on the losing end of a series that you feel your team played itself out of though
Old 05-20-2004, 03:04 AM   #1082
Karim
College Starter

Flames girls going wild on 17th Avenue...

hxxp://flamesgirls.com
Old 05-20-2004, 08:17 AM   #1083
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Cards...All we hear in Canada is how no one watches hockey in the states.It is frustrating for us then that all the games are dictated to by American networks.

It would be like football games being played on Tuesday afternoons because the NFL wants to capture the Japanese market.

Ratings are based on percentages right? So, wouldn't you have to take into account the ratings are low because of the entire US population? I don't think the football game comparison is a good one. Games on Saturday afternoons are not convenient for anyone, no matter if it's in the US or Canada.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:20 AM   #1084
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Yay Calgary!

EDIT: Vince, I know how you feel. Nothing like watching your team killing themselves.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 05-20-2004 at 08:21 AM.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 08:22 AM   #1085
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

And if that happened because 80% of the teams in the NFL were in Japanese cities, then we wouldn't have much to bitch about, would we?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 08:24 AM   #1086
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Dola.

Congrats to Calgary. I'll be rooting for them in the final, unless TB makes it. I can still remember attending one of TB's first games, as I happened to be going to school just outside Tampa when they first started.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 01:03 PM   #1087
Karim
College Starter

Before the playoffs, there was a psychic convention held at the Stampede Grounds where the Olympic SaddleDome is. One psychic predicted that the Flames would make the Cup final but lose in a heartbreaker.

I wonder if the Eastern Conference representative will use that as ammunition like the Nazi's used Nostradamus' prediction of a French defeat?

Probably not...

I got nothing.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:35 PM   #1088
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Yay Calgary!

EDIT: Vince, I know how you feel. Nothing like watching your team killing themselves.

Yup. I don't want to make it sound like Calgary didn't earn it...they played really well. I just think that if the Sharks played the Hockey I know they are capable of (the kind of Hockey they played against the Forces of Darkness (sorry DD) and in Calgary for games 3 and 4), the series would have been much different.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:41 PM   #1089
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Flames girls going wild on 17th Avenue...

hxxp://flamesgirls.com

Saved my 3000 post for the NHL thread

I get double points cause it has a link in it to flashing chicks

Damn...them Calgarians have some fake tits.

Hrm...my wife is from Calagry.......uhh...BRB

Old 05-20-2004, 09:51 PM   #1090
sabotai
General Manager

Flyers win in OT! We head to a game 7!!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 10:04 PM   #1091
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

What a game....

In case you guys wanna see I took some pics while I was at Game 4

Flyers Pics

GO FLYERS!!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 10:33 PM   #1092
Karim
College Starter

Go Flyers!
Old 05-21-2004, 03:22 AM   #1093
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16
What a game....

In case you guys wanna see I took some pics while I was at Game 4

Flyers Pics

GO FLYERS!!

Very cool. Love the pictures.

SI

Old 05-21-2004, 08:25 AM   #1094
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Wow. Sweet series.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 08:47 AM   #1095
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Very nice pictures and a great series. Been a fun one to watch. Primeau has been playing out of his mind. He can do this. He did this (to a lesser extent) back in the 1995 playoffs. For a spell he was the Wings best forward during that run. I remember some quote by Roenick (who else?) about how he was sick of hearing about Keith Primeau and how he is the "best" player in the playoffs, etc, etc. Of course, he and the rest of the Wings bitched out there in the end.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 08:51 AM   #1096
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I was looking over the Team USA World/Canada Cup roster. They have 14 players who were on the 1996 team. They are an old team everywhere except in net. I do not like their chances all that much to be honest. Should be a great tourney. I loved the 1996 series. Great, great international hockey that led nicely right into the 1996-1997 NHL season.

H_B had graduated college. He was working at very easy temp job. He had plenty of time for hockey (and beer) and was able to watch many, many games. Good times... Good times...
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 11:19 AM   #1097
Simms
FOBL Commish

I was a senior in college in Wichita and working a crappy job at Rent-A-Center. A group of the guys I played roller hockey with were going to meet up at our favourite sports bar to watch game 3 of the '96 final.

I asked this girl at work that I kinda liked if she wanted to come hang out with us and watch the game....even offered to buy her some food. After saying a rosary (seriously) during the 2nd intermission and getting no love from God, I got flat-out wasted by the end of the game, and she ended up driving me home while I left my car in the parking lot.

Seven years (as of last Monday) and two kids later, my wife and I still semi-fondly recount that night as our "first date".
Old 05-21-2004, 11:35 AM   #1098
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
I was a senior in college in Wichita and working a crappy job at Rent-A-Center. A group of the guys I played roller hockey with were going to meet up at our favourite sports bar to watch game 3 of the '96 final.

I asked this girl at work that I kinda liked if she wanted to come hang out with us and watch the game....even offered to buy her some food. After saying a rosary (seriously) during the 2nd intermission and getting no love from God, I got flat-out wasted by the end of the game, and she ended up driving me home while I left my car in the parking lot.

Seven years (as of last Monday) and two kids later, my wife and I still semi-fondly recount that night as our "first date".

Now that is fuckin hilarious.

H_B : i agree..i was shocked when i saw the U.S roster..they are old...old like Red Wings old And they look very weak in net.I would'nt have much confidence in any of those three guys.

Old 05-21-2004, 12:19 PM   #1099
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
High stick, god dammit! No goal!
Old 05-21-2004, 01:13 PM   #1100
Johnny93g
College Starter

OH MY GOD....
I don't believe it....Theres gonna be......Hockey on Saturday night.....Im not kidding.....OMG...OMG....
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote