Old 05-21-2004, 01:20 PM   #1101
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
High stick, god dammit! No goal!

I'm starting to think ML has issues.

I wanna meet him

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 01:21 PM   #1102
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
OH MY GOD....
I don't believe it....Theres gonna be......Hockey on Saturday night.....Im not kidding.....OMG...OMG....

What is this h...h...hoc....hockey on Saturday night you speak of?

I remember when i was young..........

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:03 PM   #1103
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
OH MY GOD....
I don't believe it....Theres gonna be......Hockey on Saturday night.....Im not kidding.....OMG...OMG....

I'll believe it when I see it.

Surely the NHL doesn't want to go up against a new episode of Trading Spaces do they?

My money says they'll find a way "conveniently" reschedule the game for 3:45 on Sunday afternoon.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:14 PM   #1104
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16
What a game....

In case you guys wanna see I took some pics while I was at Game 4

Flyers Pics

GO FLYERS!!

What in the blue hell is Robert Esche doing in picture 8?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 02:08 AM   #1105
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
What in the blue hell is Robert Esche doing in picture 8?

Sitting on his eggs. They'll incubate and hatch into little goalies before too long.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 02:41 PM   #1106
Karim
College Starter

I just read a story about some Flames fans on their way back from Denver who delayed a flight because boarding was a few minutes before the end of Game 6.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 08:11 PM   #1107
sabotai
General Manager

Well, the FLyers have just over 13 minutes to tie this game or else they're done.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 08:29 PM   #1108
sabotai
General Manager

5 minutes left.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:36 PM   #1109
sabotai
General Manager

2 minutes...Philly is going ot need a lucky break here.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:40 PM   #1110
sabotai
General Manager

And that'll do it....it's the end of hockey as we know it.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:45 PM   #1111
druez
Banned

the officials were fucking terrible. Almost as bad as my spelling and grammar. I don't know how many times a flyers stick was held or they were tackeled and they didn't call shit. GOD DAMN IT FUCKING BULLSHIT.
druez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 08:46 PM   #1112
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by druez
the officials were fucking terrible. Almost as bad as my spelling and grammar. I don't know how many times a flyers stick was held or they were tackeled and they didn't call shit. GOD DAMN IT FUCKING BULLSHIT.

You a Tampa fan?

Old 05-22-2004, 09:09 PM   #1113
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

hmmm - an All Natural Disaster Finals.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:23 PM   #1114
Karim
College Starter

Is there an answer to the officiating?

Once a "crackdown" begins on hooking, holding and interference, we get 10 PP/team and everyone complains. In no time, we're back to where we started.

I don't think anyone has an answer.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:21 PM   #1115
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
I don't think anyone has an answer.
I have an answer.

The officiating is fine. Enjoy the game, understand that these refs have been around the sport their whole lives and understand it a lot better than you do, and for god's sake don't complain that the world is ending just because your team didn't get 15 power plays in a big game.

These are big games and somebody has to lose. It's not the refs fault.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-22-2004 at 10:22 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 10:28 PM   #1116
sabotai
General Manager

It wouldn't have mattered if the Flyers got as few more power plays anyway. The Flyers could not score on the power play against Tampa Bay. For the series, I think they were 1 for 26 on power plays. If they would have scored 4 or 5 out of 26, there wouldn't have been a game 7 and we'd be talking about a Philly-Calgary Stanley Cup Finals.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:02 PM   #1117
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Go Flames! It just wouldn't be right for a team from Tampa to win the Cup.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 11:06 PM   #1118
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan
Go Flames! It just wouldn't be right for a team from Tampa to win the Cup.

I know. The biggest reason I wanted the the Flyers in the finals was a city south of the Mason-Dixie line has no business playing ice hockey!!
Old 05-22-2004, 11:07 PM   #1119
Johnny93g
College Starter

Better team won....Now i need to decide....Go Canadian team....or Go Dave Andreychuck

hmmm
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 11:19 PM   #1120
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

well, as long as Boobie Clark doesn't win anything, I'm happy.

Esche was terrific this postseason...meaning it's almost time for Bobby to start the next goalie search.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:36 PM   #1121
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
well, as long as Boobie Clark doesn't win anything, I'm happy.

Esche was terrific this postseason...meaning it's almost time for Bobby to start the next goalie search.

I thought he sucked against TB IMHO.

Last edited by bbor : 05-23-2004 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:52 PM   #1122
Karim
College Starter

I just read an interesting story about the "small-market" Flames. The net worth of ownership exceeds $2 billion US. The past seven losing seasons, ownership has steadfastly stuck to a business model (i.e., internal salary cup/budget). The economics of the game has dictated despite conservative ownership, a cumulative loss of $35 million US. This playoff run has thus far produced a profit of about $1 million CDN (gate revenue). Merchandising which has been staggering goes directly to the league to be divided up among all member teams; the exception is Flames' owned stores of which there is only a few about town.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:40 AM   #1123
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just read an interesting story about the "small-market" Flames. The net worth of ownership exceeds $2 billion US. The past seven losing seasons, ownership has steadfastly stuck to a business model (i.e., internal salary cup/budget). The economics of the game has dictated despite conservative ownership, a cumulative loss of $35 million US. This playoff run has thus far produced a profit of about $1 million CDN (gate revenue). Merchandising which has been staggering goes directly to the league to be divided up among all member teams; the exception is Flames' owned stores of which there is only a few about town.

To be fair to them, that's like when the Yankees and Red Sox fans say the Brewers and Pirates should spend $100M a year and then they wouldn't have to worry about constantly losing money because winning teams generate more revenue. Which is a great solution except that only a few teams make the playoffs each year and even less make it deep enough to impact their bottom line significantly. So, if every small market team decided to spend $100M, we'd be back to upwardly spiraling salaries and there would be even more money hemorrhaging out of the system because there still have to be a lot of teams that lose. What's better for the league as a whole is to have there be a limit to spending otherwise it always will be those teams where it's a lot less of a calculated risk to spend a lot of cash that always win (i.e. the Brewers go bankrupt if they spend $100M 3 straight years and don't make the World Series but the Yankees can have 3 subpar years at $100M and still make money).

SI

Old 05-23-2004, 07:06 AM   #1124
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
ownership has steadfastly stuck to a business model (i.e., internal salary cup/budget).

Nice little Freudian slip, there.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:30 PM   #1125
Karim
College Starter

My God! That was so unintentional!

It's a sign! It's a sign!

Last edited by Karim : 05-23-2004 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:04 PM   #1126
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
What is this h...h...hoc....hockey on Saturday night you speak of?

I remember when i was young..........

The NHL has heard the whine from Canada:

3 Sat., May 29 Tampa Bay at Calgary ABC, CBC, RDS 8 p.m.

*6 Sat., June 5 Tampa Bay at Calgary ABC, CBC, RDS 8 p.m.

Last edited by Cards4ever : 05-23-2004 at 06:04 PM.
Cards4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 09:17 PM   #1127
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Unlike other years where the Flyers just laid down and died, this year the fought till the end. And with that I am proud of the team. Usually this is where I (or any other Philly fan) would bitch and moan about the team choking, or not playing with heart, but this team gave it their all. From what I saw they looked like a tired, beat up team in the end. Injuries killed them. No Desjardans, Ragnerson, and JR was never the same after the concussion in game 4. Esche (although not as good in the ECF) played really well and for once the Philly fans cannot blame the goalie here. Nor can they blame Bobby Clarke, he finally pulled off some good trades this year and built the team for a playoff run, only to have it torn down by injuries. Man I wish he wouldn't have given Eric Weinrich up for a 5th rounder earlier in the year.

They beat a New Jersey, which many team's though would walk past the Flyers in 5 or 6 games. Next they defeated a very good Toronto team. I still say if Tampa had to play Toronto or anyone with half a heart in rounds 1 and 2 we would be signing a different tune now. For the 2nd year in a row Philly and Toronto beat each other up so bad that their opponents in the follow round had is easier because of that. I still whole heartedly believe they were the two best teams in the east.

Tampa is a good team, there is not doubting that. But I hope Calgary fuckin embarasses them. I really want someone to plant Martin "The Leprechan" St Louis and Vinny Lacavalier into the boards. The good part about all of this was that I did not actually get to watch Game 7 Saturday night. I was at a wedding and kept running into the bar to see the score every now and again. But I do have it on TiVo. I am not sure if I have the heart to watch it.

Go Flames!!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 10:24 PM   #1128
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Don't fool yourself, Tampa is a damn good team. The Finals this year should be very entertaining.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:02 PM   #1129
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
The NHL has heard the whine from Canada:

3 Sat., May 29 Tampa Bay at Calgary ABC, CBC, RDS 8 p.m.

*6 Sat., June 5 Tampa Bay at Calgary ABC, CBC, RDS 8 p.m.

Woohoo

Old 05-23-2004, 11:52 PM   #1130
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Don't fool yourself, Tampa is a damn good team. The Finals this year should be very entertaining.

The 5 people who watch can let us know.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:15 AM   #1131
druez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16
Unlike other years where the Flyers just laid down and died, this year the fought till the end. And with that I am proud of the team. Usually this is where I (or any other Philly fan) would bitch and moan about the team choking, or not playing with heart, but this team gave it their all. From what I saw they looked like a tired, beat up team in the end. Injuries killed them. No Desjardans, Ragnerson, and JR was never the same after the concussion in game 4. Esche (although not as good in the ECF) played really well and for once the Philly fans cannot blame the goalie here. Nor can they blame Bobby Clarke, he finally pulled off some good trades this year and built the team for a playoff run, only to have it torn down by injuries. Man I wish he wouldn't have given Eric Weinrich up for a 5th rounder earlier in the year.

They beat a New Jersey, which many team's though would walk past the Flyers in 5 or 6 games. Next they defeated a very good Toronto team. I still say if Tampa had to play Toronto or anyone with half a heart in rounds 1 and 2 we would be signing a different tune now. For the 2nd year in a row Philly and Toronto beat each other up so bad that their opponents in the follow round had is easier because of that. I still whole heartedly believe they were the two best teams in the east.

Tampa is a good team, there is not doubting that. But I hope Calgary fuckin embarasses them. I really want someone to plant Martin "The Leprechan" St Louis and Vinny Lacavalier into the boards. The good part about all of this was that I did not actually get to watch Game 7 Saturday night. I was at a wedding and kept running into the bar to see the score every now and again. But I do have it on TiVo. I am not sure if I have the heart to watch it.

Go Flames!!

Don't watch it, its so very painful. I mean it hurts. I agree with everything you said above. I'm proud of the flyers this year, they played their hearts out.
druez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 08:47 PM   #1132
MikeVic
Head Coach

Go Go Calgary!!!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 09:47 PM   #1133
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Yay Flames!!!
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 09:50 PM   #1134
SFL Cat
College Starter

Still playing hockey? The season is just too dang long. But, I guess you should enjoy it while you can since it looks like there might not be any for a while next year.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 06:51 PM   #1135
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Page 3?!?

Go Flames!!!

Interesting article on viewership of the first game
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
Old 05-27-2004, 06:58 PM   #1136
MJ4H
Coordinator

ditto
MJ4H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:07 PM   #1137
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat
Still playing hockey? The season is just too dang long. But, I guess you should enjoy it while you can since it looks like there might not be any for a while next year.

Could be worse, we could be watching the NBA playoffs, you know, throw it in to Shaq, watch Shaq get fouled, watch Shaq shoot free throws, yawn, wake me when it's over please!
Old 05-27-2004, 10:40 PM   #1138
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Could be worse, we could be watching the NBA playoffs, you know, throw it in to Shaq, watch Shaq get fouled, watch Shaq shoot free throws, yawn, wake me when it's over please!

C'mon now....Shaq taking free throws is a huge adventure

Old 05-27-2004, 10:42 PM   #1139
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

So, did you watch basketball or hockey tonight?
Old 05-27-2004, 10:44 PM   #1140
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
So, did you watch basketball or hockey tonight?

They are still playing baskeball??

My channel changer is stuck on Hockey night in Canada

Old 05-27-2004, 10:51 PM   #1141
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

I rest my case
Old 05-28-2004, 12:23 AM   #1142
Karim
College Starter

Over 19k showed up to the 'Dome tonight to watch the game on the big screen. Around 1,000 people were turned away. Admission was a donation to the food bank.

Nice job.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:38 AM   #1143
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Over 19k showed up to the 'Dome tonight to watch the game on the big screen. Around 1,000 people were turned away. Admission was a donation to the food bank.

Nice job.

Very cool

SI

Old 05-29-2004, 09:58 PM   #1144
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Great win tonight!
Old 06-02-2004, 05:58 PM   #1145
Karim
College Starter

Oh, man... Sutter was on fire in today's press conference. I'd like to paraphrase but I wouldn't do it justice... I wish I had a clip of it.

Last edited by Karim : 06-02-2004 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:15 PM   #1146
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh, man... Sutter was on fire in today's press conference. I'd like to paraphrase but I wouldn't do it justice... I wish I had a clip of it.
The adlib when his cell went off was classic.

Interesting thing about the Lecavlier hit was how Kerry Fraser, just ten feet away, didn't call it. It ws Watson, who was 100 feet down the ice, who made the (correct) call.

Gosh, if I didn't know better I'd think that Fraser is too gutless to call a major against the home team late in a crucial playoff game.

(Grumble.)
Old 06-02-2004, 06:25 PM   #1147
Karim
College Starter

It's not the suspension that bothers most Flames' fans, it's the lack of consistency (where have we heard that before?) Campbell was quoted in a Tampa paper as saying the reason Stillman wasn't suspended for the flying elbow to the back of the head was because Nilson played the next game. Lecavalier will be playing tomorrow but Campbell was quoted today as saying the NHL needs to crack down on heat shots. So which is it? A crackdown on head shots or wait for the extent of the injury?

Van Hellamond (sp?) says that the list of which referees were to work each game was set prior to the Stanley Cup. Fraser was set to work Game 6 in Calgary. Campbell has contradicted that today saying that it's not necessarily set in stone.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:29 PM   #1148
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Gosh, if I didn't know better I'd think that Fraser is too gutless to call a major against the home team late in a crucial playoff game.

(Grumble.)

Sometimes you frighten me

Old 06-02-2004, 08:27 PM   #1149
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Sometimes you frighten me
(Looks up from Kerry Fraser bobble-head with pins in its eyes)

What?
Old 06-02-2004, 10:08 PM   #1150
Karim
College Starter

Fraser sucks. And to join in with Sutter's conspiracy theory, Fraser intended to screw the Flames. He called a penalty on Mark Hunter in double OT when the Flames played Montreal in the Cup Final in 1989.

Montreal scored but the Flames went on to win.

~~~~
I really can't comment on the quality of the series because I'm biased but are knowledgeable hockey fans finding the series boring? I heard on PrimeTime Sports Cox, McGowan and Brunt all say the series was virtually unwatchable.

I guess over 3 million Canadians left their TVs on while they mowed the lawn...