Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-14-2004, 09:25 PM   #201
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Peter Maher, the voice of the Flames, was mentioning today how statistically the winner of Game 5 usually goes on to win the series.
Statistically, the winner of any game, one through seven, usually wins the series.

You could look it up.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:28 PM   #202
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Statistically, the winner of any game, one through seven, usually wins the series.

You could look it up.

I'm betting the winner of game 7s almost always win the series
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:57 PM   #203
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'm going to faint
Old 04-14-2004, 10:03 PM   #204
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
I'm betting the winner of game 7s almost always win the series
I hear the numer is well over 85%.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:20 PM   #205
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
I'm going to faint

bah! It's only 2 OTs. What are you a rookie? You can relax now, btw
Old 04-14-2004, 11:35 PM   #206
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51
Does Turco have money on the Avs or something?

Turco is just not a playoff goalie...yet. Which is a good thing, because the Stars defense is horrible. No way they would stand up in the next round, anyway.

Why did it have to be the Avs, though? Gawd!!

Oh, did I read Simon is out for the series? Boo fucking hoo. Dirty bastard deserves what he dishes out.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:43 PM   #207
Karim
College Starter

Quote:

You could look it up.

It would be interesting to have the actual numbers since 7-game series started. The only one I remember is that in the history of the NHL, when trailing 3 games to 1, the team behind in the series has come back to win 9% of the time.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 06:49 AM   #208
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
bah! It's only 2 OTs. What are you a rookie? You can relax now, btw

I'm really funny that way. I follow other teams and other sports casually, and don't get all goofy when they are on. The Avs, though, I go crazy for - talking to the TV, throwing my hands in the air when they score (woke up my sick wife when Svatos scored), that kind of stuff. All of that is very much against my normal character.

I rearrange my work schedule so that I'm out in time to watch the bulk of the Avs games - I wouldn't even dream of doing that for any other sport/team, including the Super Bowl. Throw in that it's a playoff game, and in OT (thanks David "Patrick Who?" Aebischer), and you can imagine what a basket case I was last night.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:54 AM   #209
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Incidentally, a quick note to Leafs fans.

Sorry about last night. That was my fault. My wife spoke during the "tkachuks"*. The Leafs never really had a shot.

For years I didn't let her in the room with me during playoff games. Then she started to complain about being banished every second night for two months, so I started letting her watch the games. I thought she fully understood all the rules (no speaking, no eye contact, no touching the good luck bag of chips on top of the TV no matter how hungry you are, etc). But apparently it didn't really sink in.

It's the little things that win and lose playoff series, and last night she cost us the game. I take full responsibility. My apologies to everyone.

*For those who don't get Hockey Night in Canada, every CBC sports broadcast begins with a five-second animation announcing "the following is a presentation of CBC sports". The actual animation changes every year, but it always involves spotlights dramaticly being switched on one-at-a-time, each one making a "ka-chook" noise as it comes on. These are the "tkachuks". The sound isn't as noticable on this year's version, but it's still there. You never, never speak during the tkachuks. Never. Absolute silence is required. This is a hard and fast rule that all fans must observe. If you talk during the tkachuks, your team will lose.**

**Yes, I'm actually serious.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:58 AM   #210
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Sorry about last night. That was my fault. My wife spoke during the "tkachuks"*. The Leafs never really had a shot.

For years I didn't let her in the room with me during playoff games. Then she started to complain about being banished every second night for two months, so I started letting her watch the games. I thought she fully understood all the rules (no speaking, no eye contact, no touching the good luck bag of chips on top of the TV no matter how hungry you are, etc). But apparently it didn't really sink in.

It's the little things that win and lose playoff series, and last night she cost us the game. I take full responsibility. My apologies to everyone.

*For those who don't get Hockey Night in Canada, every CBC sports broadcast begins with a five-second animation announcing "the following is a presentation of CBC sports". The actual animation changes every year, but it always involves spotlights dramaticly being switched on one-at-a-time, each one making a "ka-chook" noise as it comes on. These are the "tkachuks". The sound isn't as noticable on this year's version, but it's still there. You never, never speak during the tkachuks. Never. Absolute silence is required. This is a hard and fast rule that all fans must observe. If you talk during the tkachuks, your team will lose.**

I hear you. We used to have a similar rule about the first Leo Racicot commercial. Everyone gathered to watch the game had to be there for Leo's commercial. It was an imperative. Considering it was usually one of the first of the night, no one could be late.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 09:12 AM   #211
Butter
Coordinator

So what happens when they change the animation and there are no more "tkachuks"?
Old 04-15-2004, 09:17 AM   #212
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
So what happens when they change the animation and there are no more "tkachuks"?

The Leafs may actually win the Cup?

I'm all for crazy superstitions and the like while watching important sporting events. I've had a ton of them, all of them hockey related. Though, it must be said, there must be some chatty Leafs fans out there during the playoffs.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:19 AM   #213
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Hmmm. I never talk during that segment, yet my team seems to lose anyway. Go figure.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 10:04 AM   #214
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
(Stares at Butter with uncomprehending look on face.)

They won't do that. They just... won't.

(Shakes head.)

Actually, they're barely there any more. My wife tried to use that defence ("That wasn't even a real Tkachuk!"). But the spirit lives on.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:16 PM   #215
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:

Apology accepted...dont let it happen again...on another note....Bobe Cole jinxed us....right before Alfferdson the Moron scored....he said Belfours shutout streak will be at 158 minutes in a few seconds.....of course, 10 seconds later, they score
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 01:15 PM   #216
bbor
Pro Starter

What happened to Simon?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 03:27 PM   #217
Karim
College Starter

One of the Canuckleheads hit him knee-on-knee against the boards. It didn't look remotely deliberate though but he came up lame right away.

He's now considered "questionable" as he made the trip to Vancouver. However Sutter has said he'll need to heal in a big hurry if he's going to get back in the series.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:30 PM   #218
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

It was one of the Sedins.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:44 PM   #219
bbor
Pro Starter

Uhhh....Simon hurt by a Sedin????

I hope he feels shame.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:28 PM   #220
Hurst2112
College Starter

4-1 boing!
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 12:33 AM   #221
bbor
Pro Starter

Party has started in Calgary.Strong road win for them....they could wrap it up at home on Saturday.

Will Crawford get roasted for starting Auld?I think he played well...but with hockey fans you never know.

What's the word in Ottawa ML?

Old 04-16-2004, 04:11 AM   #222
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Wings definitely did what they needed to do. Come out strong, score early, score often, and then coast to a victory. Datsyuk and Zetterberg finally showed up for the play-offs. We've been waiting for this since game one versus the Ducks last year. Datsyuk's assists were the type of mind-boggling plays we've come to expect and the Wings most desperately need. The "big guns" scored: Zetterberg, Shanhan (fluke), Hull, and Lidstrom. Yzerman played his best game of the series. CuJo played fine, one goal on twenty shots, though he was hardly tested at all. Hopefully the Wings can carry this over to tomorrow's game and put an end to this series once and for all. No one wants a Game 7. Anything can happen in a Game 7.

Vancouver sounds like they are in trouble. Switching between back-ups? That's never good for a team in the play-offs. There is no way that can be good. First they lose Bertuzzi and now Cloutier. Very tough.

St. Louis, well, sorry Mizou and Primer... There's always next year. $9.5 million is it for Tkahuck? ZERO play-off goals. Nice.

It was good to see Montreal storm back against Boston. I like to see that series go seven games. Been some good drama there. Also, I need some help on my picks, I'm getting screwed.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:43 AM   #223
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Uhhh....Simon hurt by a Sedin????

I hope he feels shame.

It doesn't take a strong player to destroy your knee. It was a knee-on-knee hit, while Simon was up against the boards.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:17 AM   #224
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Hockey season is officially over for me. Time for baseball... and a fresh new backgroud image!

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 04-16-2004 at 07:17 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 08:12 AM   #225
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
It doesn't take a strong player to destroy your knee. It was a knee-on-knee hit, while Simon was up against the boards.

Simon would know, wouldn't he? I mean, he almost was able to do the same to Zubov.

Fucker. I hope it hurts.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:24 AM   #226
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Congrats to Dallas for signing the Hobey Baker award winner Junior Lessard! You got yourself a sniper, loves to do the dirty work in front of the net and get goals. Excellent skater too.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:35 AM   #227
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
What's the word in Ottawa ML?
Fairly optimistic. There were some nervous fans before game four, but the general consensus seems to be that the Sens are outplaying the Leafs and should win the series, especially if Joe or Mats miss any games.

There's still that lingering fear that the Leafs will pull out some more magic. After all, the Sens thought they had the Leafs beat in 2001 and 2002 and look what happened. So I doubt anyone up here will start the victory party until the Leafs are dead and buried, and even then they'll be keeping one eye on the grave site to see if a withered hand shoots through the dirt.

Still, the mood is reasonably good. Tonight's game is a big one.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:36 AM   #228
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
Congrats to Dallas for signing the Hobey Baker award winner Junior Lessard! You got yourself a sniper, loves to do the dirty work in front of the net and get goals. Excellent skater too.

CARDS!!!

How have you been? Did you enjoy the Frozen Four?
Old 04-16-2004, 11:28 AM   #229
bbor
Pro Starter

Damn....I thought the Blue notes would put up more of a fight.

Mat's and Newy are questionable for tonight.The way i see it is unless they get run over by the zamboni in pre-game...they are playing.

I guess we are'nt getting this theread stickied this year

Old 04-16-2004, 11:42 AM   #230
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
St. Louis, well, sorry Mizou and Primer... There's always next year. $9.5 million is it for Tkahuck? ZERO play-off goals. Nice.

Yea I have had about all I can take with Tkachuk and his disappearing act in the playoffs. Every damn year he does this. Demitra does the same damn thing. Certainly hindsight is 20-20, but the Blues should have just cleaned house at the trade deadline. Weight needs to go. He is a great player, but since the Blues refuse to get a real winger for him to play with it is stupid to have that much money tied up in him. If they can find someone to take Tkachuk's salary he needs to go as well. All his goals are great in the regular season, but he is useless in the playoffs and it is just time to move on.

They also should have traded Pronger at the deadline. Not that I don't love him, but the Blues have a very good young core of D men and the money it is going to take to hold onto Prongs would be much better speant on scoring and damned goalie. And finally Osgood is NOT the answer. Just because Osgood was the last average goalie to win a cup does not mean he will do it for you. Take the money you save from Pronger, Weight, and Tkachuk and get some damn speed and a goalie. PLEASE!

I felt good going into this series, but it was very obvious the Sharks were the better team. Without question they had the better goalie and most of the time that is all it takes in the playoffs. But the Sharks made the Blues look like they were skating in mud. Nothing like playing dump and chase and not being able to beat the other team to the puck. Wheeeee! Congrats to the Sharks they were the better team and deserved to roll us like they did. I don't know when they will play hockey again, but I really hope the Blues take the time to think about where they have gone wrong all these years. It seems pretty obvious to me. GET A DAMN GOALIE!
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 12:55 PM   #231
Hurst2112
College Starter

The Blues gotta get some scorers too. A different goalie would help, indeed (believe me, I know about Osgood). But, any goalie shouldn't be expected to win 1 goal games. Especially those like game 1.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:02 PM   #232
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Just wanted to start a mini-discussion on something I've been thinking about.

During the playoffs, you hear a lot about the importance of getting the first goal. We always see stats about what a team's record is when they score first, etc. The commentators go on and on about how you have to get that first goal, discate the pace, quiet the crowd, etc.

I'm not sure I believe it. I think the second goal is the most important. Think about it. When it's 1-0, the next goal is crucial. If the team that's ahead gets it, it's usually game over. If the trailing team gets it, they're back to square one but with the momentum. I'd be willing to bet that if you kept track, goal #2 is more important than goal #1.

As an example, I know that in the Leafs/Sens series the team that scores the second goal has won every game. The team that scores first is only 2-2. It also goes without saying that the team that scores second in the Isles/Lightning series in 4-0, although you could say the same for goals 1-3.

What about your series? What are the records like in terms of goal #1 vs goal #2?
Old 04-16-2004, 01:04 PM   #233
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I'll take Pronger.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:06 PM   #234
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Damn....I thought the Blue notes would put up more of a fight.

I thought they were spent with that playoff push. If they had managed to end up in 8th, they would have been swept. Nashville was better prepared to put up a fight than the Blues were.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:13 PM   #235
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
The Blues gotta get some scorers too. A different goalie would help, indeed (believe me, I know about Osgood). But, any goalie shouldn't be expected to win 1 goal games. Especially those like game 1.

No argument here, but this has been a pattern for the Blues for several years now. Year after year they head into the playoffs with an inferior goalie and because of it have virtually no shot of winning a cup.

Granted they tried to get better by getting Turek and he just flopped. It seemed like the right idea because he was stellar in his first regual season with the Blues, but he is just does not play well under pressure. They let Dwayne Roloson go. They tried Johnson who is without question talented and has the perfect build for a goalie, but always had a very poor work ethic and always had lapses in his mechanics. Then they went to Osgood!

I realize top notch goalies aren't just floating around, but they could have tried harder to get Hasek the first time. They probably could have had them if they wouldn't have signed Weight and would have been willing to give him the 2 year deal he wanted. They could have tried to go after Khabibulin, Cechmanek, Belfour, Kiprusoff etc. Goalies have been available and they haven't made a serious play for any of them. Did I mention they had Dwayne Roloson and never even gave him a shot????

So there is no question that they need to add scoring. I think their first order of business needs to be to get a goalie though. Once that is taken care of they can start focusing on everything else, but unless you are going to be able to put a team together like the 97 and 98 Wings then you just aren't going to win a cup with Osgood in goal.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:16 PM   #236
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
I'll take Pronger.

I don't know who wouldn't.

Don't get me wrong I am very happy with Pronger, but the Blues have so many holes to fill and their future on the blue line looks pretty good with Jackman, Backman, Walker, and Salvador. So I think the huge dollars it will take to get Pronger back after this season could be better spent else where.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:24 PM   #237
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Pronger is going to be a free agent next year, or the year after next?
Old 04-16-2004, 02:35 PM   #238
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Pronger is going to be a free agent next year, or the year after next?

He is a free agent after this season. Although he isn't an unrestricted free agent yet. I still don't know that the Blues will have enough to bring him back even though they may not have to go into a bidding war with other clubs. He already makes 10 mil a year as it is.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:56 PM   #239
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
He is a free agent after this season. Although he isn't an unrestricted free agent yet. I still don't know that the Blues will have enough to bring him back even though they may not have to go into a bidding war with other clubs. He already makes 10 mil a year as it is.
Right, so the Blues need to offer him that much again to retain his rights. If they don't, he becomes unrestricted, although the Blues could still resign him to a smaller deal.

Basically it's the Kariya-situation all over again, except we don't know yet if Pronger is the sort of guy to pull a suck, abandon his team, move in with his boyfriend and then play awful for the season.
Old 04-16-2004, 03:03 PM   #240
klayman
College Benchwarmer

lol
Old 04-16-2004, 03:10 PM   #241
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Right, so the Blues need to offer him that much again to retain his rights. If they don't, he becomes unrestricted, although the Blues could still resign him to a smaller deal.

If the Blues manage to move Tkachuk or Weight (or hopefully both) then re-signing Prongs makes more sense. My fear (and HB's hope) is that if Pronger leaves he will at some point end up in a Dead Things jersey and I don't think the Blues want that. Still that money could be used to improve the team in other bigger need areas.
Old 04-16-2004, 03:16 PM   #242
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
If the Blues manage to move Tkachuk or Weight (or hopefully both) then re-signing Prongs makes more sense. My fear (and HB's hope) is that if Pronger leaves he will at some point end up in a Dead Things jersey and I don't think the Blues want that. Still that money could be used to improve the team in other bigger need areas.
The problem, of course, is the CBA. Do you sign Pronger to a $10M deal and then find out there's a $30M salary cap? Or do you let him go as a FA, watch him sign with the Wings (or Leafs) and then find out there's no cap at all?

Tough spot.
Old 04-16-2004, 03:51 PM   #243
Hurst2112
College Starter

What would happen with a salary cap? Would current salaries be grandfathered?

I didn't pay attention to the NBA's whole half-ass cap changeover.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:10 PM   #244
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
What would happen with a salary cap? Would current salaries be grandfathered?
In the past, Bettman has said no. Some teams seem to be preparing as if they wouldn't be. But realistically, I can't see how they wouldn't. There would have to be some sort of grandfathering in order to make it work, and I suspect the league is just posturing about not doing it.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 04-16-2004 at 04:10 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 04:23 PM   #245
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

The Wings with Hatcher, Lidstrom, and Pronger? What, do they think they are the Yankees?

If that happens, I quit. I swear to God.

Old 04-16-2004, 04:25 PM   #246
primelord
Pro Rookie

Well the ex-Blues rarely go directly to the Wings. They usually have a stop over in another NHL city or two, but they all seem to make their way there eventually. Why me?
Old 04-16-2004, 04:40 PM   #247
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Well the ex-Blues rarely go directly to the Wings. They usually have a stop over in another NHL city or two, but they all seem to make their way there eventually. Why me?

It's totally logical.

Pronger is clearly next in line. Maybe he'll go to Hartford and then... No, wait that was Shanahan and besides, Pronger already did his time with that solid organization. Well, then maybe Dallas and then... No, Hull has already been there, done that. How about, a more round about way, say Edmonton, then Toronto and THEN... No, that was CuJo. Fuck it. I say we cut out the middle-man all together and have him come right over. Hatcher and Pronger aka "The Twin Towers." I like it already. Perfect for marketing, t-shirts, posters, Little Ceasers glasses, bobble-heads, all that. We could even go with the "Two Towers" and have some sort of LOTR tie-in. Best thing the Wings have had going since Probert and Kocur and the whole "Bruise Brothers" thing. Hell, McInnis is only what 39? 40? I don't think we go with the middle-man on that one either. So, Al, COME ON DOWN!

One day we may even let Osgood back in the fold.... NAH!
Old 04-16-2004, 04:49 PM   #248
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
One day we may even let Osgood back in the fold.... NAH!

I saw whatever it takes to make that happen we should do it!

Tell ya what. We'll give you Osgood and Khavanov for a cheese sandwich and a bag of pucks.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:01 PM   #249
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I saw whatever it takes to make that happen we should do it!

Tell ya what. We'll give you Osgood and Khavanov for a cheese sandwich and a bag of pucks.

Wasn't Khavanov supposed to be good a few seasons back? I seem to remember having him on one of my fantasy teams. Then again, I think that fantasy team was pretty bad.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:32 PM   #250
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
The Wings with Hatcher, Lidstrom, and Pronger? What, do they think they are the Yankees?

If that happens, I quit. I swear to God.

I would sacrafice a Hatcher for a Pronger.