Old 04-16-2004, 05:35 PM   #251
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Even with Pronger you guys would have difficulty getting out of the first round
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 06:54 PM   #252
MikeVic
Head Coach

Do you know what's awesome? The Boston fans cheering for the Canadian Anthem. I hope the Montreal fans learn something.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 07:24 PM   #253
Hurst2112
College Starter

What the heck is this thing I see about Danton from the Blues?!?! Something about a murder for hire?

I guess not everybody on the team is going to make the first tee time of the off season.

What a numbnuts.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 07:59 PM   #254
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
What the heck is this thing I see about Danton from the Blues?!?! Something about a murder for hire?

I guess not everybody on the team is going to make the first tee time of the off season.

What a numbnuts.

Just heard about it on the radio.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1784155

Quote:
FBI arrests Danton in San Jose
The day after the St. Louis Blues were eliminated from the playoffs in San Jose by the Sharks, center Mike Danton was arrested by FBI agents on charges of trying to hire someone to murder a man, according to the St. Louis Post Dispatch.

Danton, 23, and Katie Wolfmeyer, 19, are accused of trying to hire a man to kill an acquaintance in a criminal complaint filed in federal court in East St. Louis, the paper reported.

The complaint says that Danton quarreled with the intended victim about Danton's "promiscuity and use of alcohol," and that Danton "begged the acquaintance not to go to the general manager of the St. Louis Blues hockey organization and ruin his career," the post reported.

Wolfmeyer was arrested Thursday night, the paper reported. Nobody was injured.

According to the complaint, the intended victim called Danton on Friday and the FBI recorded the call. During the call, "Danton broke down and sobbed. Danton explained that he felt backed into a corner and also felt that the acquaintance was going to leave him," the Post reported.

Danton played in all six playoff games and scored one goal.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:37 PM   #255
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I think that may just have been the worst playoff game I've seen the Leafs play, ever.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:40 PM   #256
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm thinking attempted murder will ruin one's career more than Danton's "promiscuity and use of alcohol".

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 08:45 PM   #257
Johnny93g
College Starter

EDDIE, EDDIE, EDDIE, EDDIE

Joey N said he didnt feel great tonight, well, he sure played great, and that goal by Tie...HUGE
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:12 PM   #258
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Get rid of Pronger? Primelord you are as crazy as the goofballs who call KFNS all day.

Keep the defense, let Osgood tutor Divas and get rid of Demitra, Weight (I love ya Weight but you take too many days off), and anyone else who is making big $$$ and doesn't do sheet. Although I like Tkachuck.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:48 PM   #259
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Get rid of Pronger? Primelord you are as crazy as the goofballs who call KFNS all day.

Keep the defense, let Osgood tutor Divas and get rid of Demitra, Weight (I love ya Weight but you take too many days off), and anyone else who is making big $$$ and doesn't do sheet. Although I like Tkachuck.

Todd
Keep Danton though. That guy has got spunk.

Last edited by klayman : 04-16-2004 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:24 AM   #260
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
Joey N said he didnt feel great tonight, well, he sure played great, and that goal by Tie...HUGE
Funny thing, I thought Smolinksi didn't have the balls to go to the net and bag a rebound.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:04 AM   #261
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

". According to the complaint, Danton broke down and sobbed, and explained that he ordered the killing because he "felt the acquaintance was going to leave him."

so, did Danton just out himself?
reading between the lines on this, doesn't this "acquaintance" sound like a pissed-off ex-lover who's threatening to spill the beans?
Old 04-17-2004, 09:07 AM   #262
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

oh, and I finally get to watch an entire Leafs/Sens playoff game...and I get a snoozefest.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:22 AM   #263
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Mike Danton has a ton of problems in his life, stemming from an abusive relationship with his father. Nevermind if he has a sexual preference choice, as an adult, that would result in him losing his job and millions of people wishing he would burn in hell.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 09:25 AM   #264
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
Mike Danton has a ton of problems in his life, stemming from an abusive relationship with his father. Nevermind if he has a sexual preference choice, as an adult, that would result in him losing his job and millions of people wishing he would burn in hell.

doesn't justify contracting a hitman, of course, but yes, I do feel bad for him.

OTOH (and this should start a nice debate)
are we really sure Danton would have been raked over the coals if he was outed? hockey is a pretty rough, gladiatorish sport, but it also may be the most "gentlemanly" if that makes sense (goons who wont fight another guy if he's hurt, etc). I mean, if teammates can play with dive artists like Barnaby, Tucker, and Kovalev, would they think it would be as much of a big deal to play with a gay player?

do Kariya and Selanne have wives?

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 04-17-2004 at 09:33 AM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 09:41 AM   #265
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
doesn't justify contracting a hitman, of course, but yes, I do feel bad for him.

Of course it doesn't. It's unfortunate that society in general is more forgiving of abusive parents than it is sexual preference. At least it seems that way in mainstream society. Ho hum. The guy is finished now, for sure. It wouldn't surprise me if he is dead before the end of this year.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:46 AM   #266
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
do Kariya and Selanne have wives?

Hahah. I don't know for sure about Kariya, but I know Selanne has a wife and kids.

I think Danton would have been finished off if he was outed in the public. I don't think society is to the point where they are willing to tolerate gay players in mainstream professional sports. With all the fire and brimstone thrown around this year so far, it is obvious that society still hates the idea of a 'homosexual' being entitled to full and equal rights.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:56 AM   #267
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Funny thing, I thought Smolinksi didn't have the balls to go to the net and bag a rebound.

lol,
Old 04-17-2004, 11:57 AM   #268
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

That has been one crazy series. I'm glad I missed most of that game last night!
Old 04-17-2004, 12:01 PM   #269
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
are we really sure Danton would have been raked over the coals if he was outed?
I've always assumed that the first "out" athelete would be in the NHL. Like you, I think it would be accepted in the NHL, although I'm not sure I can put my finger on why.

Let's face it, we already know there have been several big name gay NHLers, they just weren't out publicly. But it was reasonably common knowledge, and nobody ever seemed to really go after them.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:08 PM   #270
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I've always assumed that the first "out" athelete would be in the NHL. Like you, I think it would be accepted in the NHL, although I'm not sure I can put my finger on why.

and I'm the same way, and I don't think I explained very well my reasoning - I can't really explain why.

Quote:
Let's face it, we already know there have been several big name gay NHLers, they just weren't out publicly. But it was reasonably common knowledge, and nobody ever seemed to really go after them.

like who? I must have missed the memo, although I saw Bob Sweeny on TV the other night, and little red flags were going off in my mind...

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 04-17-2004 at 12:09 PM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 12:17 PM   #271
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:

That would be every person with a french accent right?

Old 04-17-2004, 12:19 PM   #272
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
like who? I must have missed the memo, although I saw Bob Sweeny on TV the other night, and little red flags were going off in my mind...

Rumors about Claude Lemieux have been going around for years. There was a minor leaguer that was here with the Atlanta Knights back in the early 90s that my wife had been friends with. She's pretty certain he was gay, because they would both talk about cute hockey players together. It was Martin Tanguay, for anyone that might care.

Last edited by Tekneek : 04-17-2004 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:23 PM   #273
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
That would be every person with a french accent right?
Nah, everyone knows there wouldn't be a gay french player. (Mike Reibeiro: "What? Why is everyone looking at me?")

You have to take all the "this player is gay" rumors with a grain of salt, since a lot of them were thrown at popular players from other teams as a generic insult. Wendel Clark was rumored for years, despite being married with kid. Stephane Richer was another one that you always heard about. Mike Peca rumors are pretty common these days.

Glenn Anderson is one I've heard so often that I think it's gone from "rumor" to "generally accepted fact", although that coudl of course be news to him.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:46 PM   #274
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Stephane Richer was another one that you always heard about. Mike Peca rumors are pretty common these days.

Stephane Richer...hahah. There was something a little unusual about that guy, but that doesn't mean he was anything other than a little funny/strange/eccentric. We saw him after a game, and he was trying to hitch a ride rather than going to the team bus. My wife and I were the only people that knew who he was, so he was talking to us (mostly wisecracks about how nobody would pick him up). After about 15 minutes of this, he said something like, "Well, that's it, I'm just going to walk" and off he went into the distance. It was funny, but strange.

It seems like I've heard the Peca rumors as well. I'm sort of surprised that they don't whirl around for Ziggy Palffy. Everyone knows he kissed Travis Green on the lips after a goal several seasons ago, and never talked about it in the press/public as far as I ever saw. He always seemed like a pretty nice guy, though, and smart, so it would serve no purpose to try and use that to ridicule/hurt him.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:47 PM   #275
bbor
Pro Starter

has everyone forgotten Stephanie Richer? and Wendy Clark.

Anderson was at LEAST bi...if not gay.Dude used to prance around in a full length mink coat.Not that that makes him gay...but.......

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 12:49 PM   #276
bbor
Pro Starter

Damn..beaten to the punch

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 04-17-2004, 02:13 PM   #277
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

time to retreat from this thread for the day (at least, until I get home from work, fire up the Tivo and the projector to watch the Avs tonight)
Old 04-17-2004, 02:21 PM   #278
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

2 minutes in. 2-0 Wings. Nice way to start Game 6.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 03:59 PM   #279
Hurst2112
College Starter

20 more minutes.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:34 PM   #280
j51
Mascot

Stars are done in 5.. looks like rebuilding time.
j51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 04:40 PM   #281
Hurst2112
College Starter

Davidson said it best: The Red Wings have put on a clinic the last 2 games.

Congrats to the Wings.

Here come the Flames. Yikes. I don't know about those guys....scary.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:41 PM   #282
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Devils out. Stars out.

Now we need Detroit and Colorado to take a dive.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:44 PM   #283
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Devils out. Stars out.

Now we need Detroit and Colorado to take a dive.

Yeah nothing like a couple of 7 seeds competeing for the cup. the favorites are winning...nothing more you could ask for.

Wings don't swim.

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 04-17-2004 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:45 PM   #284
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Wings don't swim.

Then a dive will suit them just fine. I don't expect them to swim.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:46 PM   #285
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Kiprusoff is terrifying. Either way, Colorado or Calgary, it will be tough.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:47 PM   #286
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Then a dive will suit them just fine. I don't expect them to swim.

I will wait a coulpe more weeks before continuing a pissing match here. I am too busy strutting around...as proud as I am.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:50 PM   #287
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I will wait a coulpe more weeks before continuing a pissing match here. I am too busy strutting around...as proud as I am.

Yeah, beating Nashville...what an accomplishment!
Old 04-17-2004, 04:51 PM   #288
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah

Todd

Hey now!

Here is the difference between what I am suggesting and what the guys who call KFNS like to suggest. They want to ship guys like Pronger off whern they go into 2 game slumps and they are in the middle of their contracts.

I am saying that since Pronger is a free agent we can't afford to pay him what we are paying him and field a competitive team. 10 million doolars a year is just too much money to be tied up in one player when you have a very strong defense even without him. They showed they can play just fine without him the year he was out.

I think Pronger is a great player and I love having on the team, bot not at the expense of doing ANYTHING in the playoffs. We need scoring and we need goal tending. And we can;t get that with all that money tied up in Pronger. Divis is an interesting option, but he struggled badly several times this year. He may develop into a good goalie, but I would rather they took the money and got a proven guy now.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 04:53 PM   #289
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman

Yeah I know, that's what happens when you are the number 1 seed in the league, you have to get excited about beating lesser teams.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:02 PM   #290
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Well, it's a bigger accomplishment than, say, ending up with fewer points than Nashville in the regular season and, therefore, missing the post-season entirely.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:33 PM   #291
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Well, it's a bigger accomplishment than, say, ending up with fewer points than Nashville in the regular season and, therefore, missing the post-season entirely.

Ouch! Why you gotta make it hurt so much.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:36 PM   #292
klayman
College Benchwarmer

dola

Besides...I've been a Flames fan my whole life...uh...all that talk about the Oilers...that was...uh...just to throw everybody off the trail...Yeah, Flames...go Flames, that's it. They're going to...uh...kick the Wings Asses!

/quietly sobs
Old 04-17-2004, 05:44 PM   #293
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
dola

Besides...I've been a Flames fan my whole life...uh...all that talk about the Oilers...that was...uh...just to throw everybody off the trail...Yeah, Flames...go Flames, that's it. They're going to...uh...kick the Wings Asses!

/quietly sobs

There, there, old friend. We welcome you with open arms into our fold. It's nice here. Warm and comforting. If the Flames win, we have a common enemy. It'll be all right.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:56 PM   #294
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
There, there, old friend. We welcome you with open arms into our fold. It's nice here. Warm and comforting. If the Flames win, we have a common enemy. It'll be all right.

Never! It won't be alright until next year. Then you'll see...you'll all see!!!

Damn...I sound like a Leaf fan
Old 04-17-2004, 06:03 PM   #295
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Never! It won't be alright until next year. Then you'll see...you'll all see!!!

Yeah, and from us Hawks fans, just wait until next year. Or maybe after the lockout. Or maybe once we get new management in there. And maybe if the young guys keep developing and maybe... aw, crap. Well, at least you'll be in cap hell.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 09:56 PM   #296
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

life is GOOD. Marek Svatos for President.

Avs finally play 3 good periods. Not really sure what to say about the Stars - they really didn't look anything like the team they are capable of being.

I kind of have a feeling the Nucks are going to pull their series out and we'll have Avs/Wings - that will be a lot of fun, except for me being outnumbered 50-1 by Wings fan on this board.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:38 PM   #297
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

Hater

Old 04-17-2004, 10:55 PM   #298
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I kind of have a feeling the Nucks are going to pull their series out and we'll have Avs/Wings

This would actually be a good thing. I'd rather not see them go against each other in the Conference Finals. It would make it possible that neither one of them plays for the Cup, which is what I'm hoping for. A Cup Final that does not have Colorado, Detroit, Dallas (check), or New Jersey (check), would be a good Cup Final.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:32 PM   #299
bbor
Pro Starter

Holy Shit

WHat a game in Calgary.....Nucks were up 4-0 after 2 periods and way ahead in game play...BUT...The Flames storm back in the 3rd with 4 unaswered goals.

Best series by far.

I hope for triple OT.

Old 04-17-2004, 11:43 PM   #300
Johnny93g
College Starter

GO CALGARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!