Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-19-2004, 11:56 AM   #351
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
You mean by putting away their whistles so that thuggish players can decide the game by cheating? Ya, that's always a great idea.

I would disagree that it is "thuggish players" that are cheating. I do feel, however, that in the last 2 OT games I watched this year, all players were getting away with some real, lousy hits.

My question is: can anybody remember the last time you saw a penalty in playoff OT? I can't remember. I realize that the refs are trying to let the players decide the game but come on, some of those hits in the OTT/TOR game were pretty questionable.

As a ref, are you the goat who called a penalty and let a team win, or are you the goat who didn't call a penalty and let the other team win?
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 12:15 PM   #352
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

The Stars had a powerplay in OT against the Ducks last year. I believe it was that (stupid) highstick rule.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 12:20 PM   #353
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
I believe that he is talking about the refs not making marginal calls. That's usually what hockey fans mean when they ask for "the whistles to be put away".

Define 'marginal'. I've been watching games all week and, if the game is tied, as soon as the last 5 minutes of the third rolls around you can get away with murder from there on out.

I hate the theory that says refs should call the game any differently based on what the situation is. If it is a penalty in the 2nd peroid of a 5-0 game it should be a penalty in double-OT of a game 7.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 12:22 PM   #354
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
I would disagree that it is "thuggish players" that are cheating. I do feel, however, that in the last 2 OT games I watched this year, all players were getting away with some real, lousy hits.

My question is: can anybody remember the last time you saw a penalty in playoff OT? I can't remember. I realize that the refs are trying to let the players decide the game but come on, some of those hits in the OTT/TOR game were pretty questionable.

As a ref, are you the goat who called a penalty and let a team win, or are you the goat who didn't call a penalty and let the other team win?

2 nights ago, Canucks vs Flames. A Canuck grabbed onto a Flame so tightly by the jersey that we actually witnessed the "guys feet skating madly but body not moving at all" image. That was what it took to get a penalty in OT, an offense so blatant a six-year old wouldn't miss it.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 04-19-2004, 12:28 PM   #355
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
2 nights ago, Canucks vs Flames. A Canuck grabbed onto a Flame so tightly by the jersey that we actually witnessed the "guys feet skating madly but body not moving at all" image. That was what it took to get a penalty in OT, an offense so blatant a six-year old wouldn't miss it.

Doesn't seem too "thuggish" which is what I was diagreeing with in the first place. According to the same post, I tend to agree with you.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 12:29 PM   #356
bbor
Pro Starter

I can't wait to watch the Nucks/Flames game.It should be awesome.Although i am worried for the Flames because they are not at home.

Not having Gauthier this game will hurt the Flames D for sure.Any word on who is replacing him?

Looks like Sundin is'nt going to play for the Leafs tommorrow which means his foot/ankle is either broken or he tore ligaments.Those are the only 2 ways i could see him missing a game 7.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 12:45 PM   #357
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Define 'marginal'. I've been watching games all week and, if the game is tied, as soon as the last 5 minutes of the third rolls around you can get away with murder from there on out.

I hate the theory that says refs should call the game any differently based on what the situation is. If it is a penalty in the 2nd peroid of a 5-0 game it should be a penalty in double-OT of a game 7.

I don't agree with you, but I certainly see your point.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 01:01 PM   #358
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
Doesn't seem too "thuggish" which is what I was diagreeing with in the first place. According to the same post, I tend to agree with you.

Thuggish may have been the wrong term. I just prefer refs to keep whistling, it stops all the clutching and grabbing.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:12 PM   #359
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I just prefer refs to keep whistling, it gets them on TV and encourages all the fringe players to dive like crazy every shift.
Yep.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:40 PM   #360
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Not having Gauthier this game will hurt the Flames D for sure.Any word on who is replacing him?

Steve Montador
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 04:45 PM   #361
Karim
College Starter

He's been our 7th-D all year and filled in admirably when called upon. But jumping into Game 7 for his first playoff action?

If I had seen calls throughout the season and into the playoffs that showed me the NHL was serious about removing hooking, holding and interference, I'd have no problem with referees calling penalties late in the third or OT. But since they don't do that, now is not the time to start.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 05:41 PM   #362
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
He's been our 7th-D all year and filled in admirably when called upon. But jumping into Game 7 for his first playoff action?

Lydman is out as well, it's not like they have that many options.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 06:20 PM   #363
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Nice game in the opening minutes. Bruins especially are flying so far tonight. Looks like we'll have a good game on our hands.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 06:26 PM   #364
Vince
Pro Starter

Man do I love the NHL playoffs. They remind me that I love hockey, and that I should watch it more often.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 06:30 PM   #365
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I think Habs/Bruins has a feel of possibly ending up in OT.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 06:32 PM   #366
Vince
Pro Starter

Pretty early to call that...right now it looks to me like Boston's got pretty solid control right now.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:33 PM   #367
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Pretty early to call that...right now it looks to me like Boston's got pretty solid control right now.

I am a risk-taker
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 06:33 PM   #368
Vince
Pro Starter

Holy crap!
Old 04-19-2004, 06:35 PM   #369
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince

Not much of a challenge to say a game will go into OT when it's tied with 2 minutes left

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 06:38 PM   #370
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Any (non-Canadiens fans) feel there have been 3-4 hits that could have easily been called hitting from behind/charging on the Bruins? Refs are really letting them play. I love it.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:42 PM   #371
Vince
Pro Starter

Well I retract my statement about Boston looking like they're in control. Some of the Canadiens are ridiculously quick.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:34 PM   #372
MikeVic
Head Coach

Go go Montreal!!!!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 08:36 PM   #373
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

B's choke. again.

Game 1 was the best game I think I've ever seen them play. what a waste.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:44 PM   #374
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Any (non-Canadiens fans) feel there have been 3-4 hits that could have easily been called hitting from behind/charging on the Bruins? Refs are really letting them play. I love it.
I don't know who said this, but that was terrible reffing. They let Montreal get away with way too much in the 2nd/beginning of the 3rd. Especially when Gonchar was blatantly tripped up and they called a penalty on the B's 15 seconds later.

Congratulations to Montreal.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:51 PM   #375
bbor
Pro Starter

Once again...Flames/Nucks in a HUGE battle.

Great fast paced game.

Kipper is playing out of his head....as is Iginla...talk about a big game player.

btw....3 Canadian teams go through to the next round

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:03 AM   #376
Johnny93g
College Starter

wow...penalty to Flames with 1:48....this is gonna be exciting
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 12:07 AM   #377
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Go Flames Go!
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 12:09 AM   #378
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
WOW!... tie game with 5 seconds left!
Old 04-20-2004, 12:10 AM   #379
MikeVic
Head Coach

Even though it didn't affect the shot, I hate seeing debris being thrown onto the ice while the game is still going on.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:10 AM   #380
Suicane75
Coordinator

Did that guy on Calgary just fall or did he trip over something thrown on the ice?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 12:11 AM   #381
Johnny93g
College Starter

dumb, dumb penalty to jovanoski....ref let the 1st 2 cross checks go....but they tied it...cant beleive it...I think the Flames will score before the jovo penalty is over....
Old 04-20-2004, 12:12 AM   #382
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
Did that guy on Calgary just fall or did he trip over something thrown on the ice?

I think the Vancouver guy grabbed Iginla's stick out of his hands, and Iginla tripped over that.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:12 AM   #383
Johnny93g
College Starter

Ya...my first thought when the debry was thrown was why they didnt blow the play dead...because the debry was in the general vacinity of the puck....

Last edited by Johnny93g : 04-20-2004 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:14 AM   #384
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

This has been the best playoff series I've seen in years!
Old 04-20-2004, 12:16 AM   #385
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I didn't see anything get thrown onto the ice. I guess I just missed it. Great goal by Cooke, and excellent work by Naslund to set it up. I'm not sure what Iginla was doing when he tripped over his stick, but I don't think it affected the play. If he wanted to block Naslund's dump toward the net, he could've just gone down. If he lays his body across the ice, Cooke doesn't score and the Flames are celebrating right now. It's certainly not his fault that the Canucks scored, but Vancouver did a great job of capitalizing on the opportunity that it had.

I really need to sleep, but I'm going to watch this thing through to the end, methinks.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:16 AM   #386
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
Even though it didn't affect the shot, I hate seeing debris being thrown onto the ice while the game is still going on.

I gotta agree with Engblum with that nonchalant "fans throwing stuff on the ice, not very smart".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
dumb, dumb penalty to jovanoski....ref let the 1st 2 cross checks go....but they tied it...cant beleive it...I think the Flames will score before the jovo penalty is over....

If Jovo had half a brain there, he never would have gotten called. They let go his first hit but then his second hit was the one that got the penalty.

I really could care less who wins as I have one friend who likes each team and have no allegiance whatever to either (tho I do have an old black downward skate jersey from the Bure days in Vancouver). But I gotta say that penalty to give Vancouver the power play seemed contrived to me.

SI

Old 04-20-2004, 12:19 AM   #387
MikeVic
Head Coach

Ohh... excellent point by Ron MacLean. As the ref went down to pick up the debris, he missed the stick being hit out of Iginla's hands... I never noticed that the ref wasn't looking.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:21 AM   #388
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm trying to think back and nothing's coming to mind for a single series. We've certainly had better playoff years, but this one is just getting started so it has time

The real shame is that only a couple of these games have been on TV in favor of stuff like the Flyers-Devils and Avs-Stars massacres. Then again, if I were a tv exec, those series looked better on paper before the series. You just never know sometimes.

SI

Old 04-20-2004, 12:22 AM   #389
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
I'm trying to think back and nothing's coming to mind for a single series. We've certainly had better playoff years, but this one is just getting started so it has time

The real shame is that only a couple of these games have been on TV in favor of stuff like the Flyers-Devils and Avs-Stars massacres. Then again, if I were a tv exec, those series looked better on paper before the series. You just never know sometimes.

SI

They've all been on TV here
Old 04-20-2004, 12:22 AM   #390
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
Ohh... excellent point by Ron MacLean. As the ref went down to pick up the debris, he missed the stick being hit out of Iginla's hands... I never noticed that the ref wasn't looking.

Thats exactly why the play should have been blown dead....
Old 04-20-2004, 12:24 AM   #391
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

NHL Center Ice, baby! I've had access to practically every game from the first round of the playoffs on my cable television. Who's doing the commentary for ESPN tonight? I'm watching CBC's broadcast. The only ESPN guys I really like are Gary Thorne (though Bill Clement annoys me) and Steve Levy. Are either of them working tonight's game from Vancouver?
Old 04-20-2004, 12:24 AM   #392
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
I think most Leaf fans would agree that the Toronto/Detroit series from the 92/93 season was better then this...and I also think the Calgary/Vancouver series from the 93/94 year when Bure won it in OT was better......though this one has been exciting
Old 04-20-2004, 12:26 AM   #393
bbor
Pro Starter

I kinda want Calgary to lose because i think Col/Det and SJ/Vancouver are better matchups than Det/Cal and SJ/Col.

My heart still wants Calgary to win though....that and my wife is from Cagary

Old 04-20-2004, 12:27 AM   #394
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They've all been on TV here

I can't help it that my stupid country likes things like the NBA more than the quest for the cup.

And poker championships, and trick shot billiards, and reality tv garbage, and... so, aside from the colder weather, anything bad about Canada? Do you have a prime minister who couldn't make it through your public education system? Do you actually have nationalized health care instead of letting idiot lobbyists decide that the rich and drug companies are the only who can benefit? And, most importantly, do you have have hockey on tv every night?

SI

Old 04-20-2004, 12:27 AM   #395
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Well, THAT didn't last long.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:27 AM   #396
bbor
Pro Starter

Flames win!

Old 04-20-2004, 12:29 AM   #397
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

So, uh, who WAS doing the play-by-play for ESPN?
Old 04-20-2004, 12:29 AM   #398
bbor
Pro Starter

Jordan Leopold has been the best D-man i've seen in this series.Kid is solid

Old 04-20-2004, 12:30 AM   #399
Johnny93g
College Starter

I think the Calgary/Detroit series is gonna be really good....Im looking forward to those games.....Now onto the improtant game

GO LEAFS GO
Old 04-20-2004, 12:31 AM   #400
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Damn!! Walk away from the TV for TWO seconds and miss the goal!!