Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-25-2005, 12:21 PM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

NCAA Week 13

First off, congrats Wanny for taking the Pitt Panthers from a BCS bowl to....well no bowl game. Now to today's game. Vince Young doesn't look like he will be winning the Heisman if he needed to have a "Heisman moment" today. A&M is hanging tough so far.

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 12:31 PM   #2
Cuckoo
College Starter

Wow, A&M looking solid. I'm sure Texas will still hang on and win, but this may be a lot closer than I had figured.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:32 PM   #3
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Go Aggies!!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 12:36 PM   #4
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

FUMBBBLLEEE!!
Old 11-25-2005, 12:36 PM   #5
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

we have Penn State's attention.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 12:38 PM   #6
Cuckoo
College Starter

I don't know what to think about this game actually - I'm torn. On one side, I always like to see Texas lose. On the other, I really want to see USC lose, and I think Texas has the best chance to beat them in the Rose Bowl. This is a truly painful set of options for a Sooners fan.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:30 PM   #7
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

That QB from Texas A&M has some big balls. He takes a licken and keeps on tickin! Aggies up 1
Old 11-25-2005, 01:49 PM   #8
miami_fan
Coordinator

Blocked punt by the Horns returned for a TD. Oh well it was fun while it lasted
Old 11-25-2005, 01:49 PM   #9
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

and game over...blocked punt for a TD for the Longhorns
Old 11-25-2005, 02:18 PM   #10
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Game not over...this is agonizing for a PSU fan
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 02:28 PM   #11
Cuckoo
College Starter

You know, when this kid from A&M came in against Oklahoma, I thought to myself "How is this slow kid running so well against our defense?" But apparently, he's not so slow and must be far shiftier than he appears on television because he's doing a great job against Texas, a very solid defense.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:41 PM   #12
MJ4H
Coordinator

Arkansas about to try for 2 to tie up the game at LSU in the 4th quarter.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 05:09 PM   #13
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

A halfback pass on 4th down? Nutt has nuts.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 05:12 PM   #14
MJ4H
Coordinator

i hate everyone.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 05:16 PM   #15
Dutch
"Dutch"

That was a great tough game by Arkansas. Almost...
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 05:19 PM   #16
JW
College Prospect

Great game, Arkansas.

Bad game for LSU. Except for the D, which won the game. The offense could not have looked more inept.

Assuming a loss by USC or Texas, I'm thinking this will hurt LSU in the polls too much for a win over Georgia next week to redeem. That's just my guess, but it looks like PSU has a clear shot at that possible national championship game if one of the undefeateds loses. I was thinking LSU needed convincing wins over Arkansas and Georgia to have a chance.

But then what do I know?
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 05:23 PM   #17
JW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
i hate everyone.

Don't you know the rules. Arkansas is allowed only one miracle win over LSU each century.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 06:08 PM   #18
Craptacular
College Starter

It's the day after Thanksgiving, and we still have a chance to see Iowa St and South Florida in the BCS.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 06:22 PM   #19
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am trying to figure out this COL-NEB game. Everytime I saw the Huskers play this year, their offense was absolutely putrid. Now I have not seen the entire game, but from what I have seen, Taylor has looked pretty good. I guess Callahan has a shot to turn it around next year after all
Old 11-25-2005, 06:27 PM   #20
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craptacular
It's the day after Thanksgiving, and we still have a chance to see Iowa St and South Florida in the BCS.

If you would have told me at the beginning of the season that the team with the best shot at a BCS bid coming out of the state of Florida was the South Florida Bulls, I would have told you you were nuts.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:28 PM   #21
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
Game not over...this is agonizing for a PSU fan

Tell me about it. Now our hopes rest with UCLA and Iowa State.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:18 PM   #22
MrBug708
Head Coach

What sucks is I'd take UCLA over PSU. Too bad UCLA laid a fat nut vs Arizona. I still dont know how the F we lost to UofA
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:23 PM   #23
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
What sucks is I'd take UCLA over PSU. Too bad UCLA laid a fat nut vs Arizona. I still dont know how the F we lost to UofA
UCLA over PSU? The Bruins have absolutely no defense. PSU's distinct advantage at defense makes them a better overall team.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:42 PM   #24
gkb
High School Varsity

Good game Buffs.

I can't believe they can still win the Big 12 North with an Iowa State loss tomorrow...they certainly don't deserve it. They were 14 point favorites going into this game...and we have some idiot fans who threw stuff onto the field. Just an ugly, embarassing loss. I had hoped that Barnett would be gone after this season, but I think I read somewhere that he was recently offered a contract extension. Meh.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:48 PM   #25
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
UCLA over PSU? The Bruins have absolutely no defense. PSU's distinct advantage at defense makes them a better overall team.

Or the fact that they play in a very skill oriented conference where the teams are very good in the offensive department
Old 11-25-2005, 07:52 PM   #26
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Losing 58-14 to a 3 win team is not going to gain you much respect. Have you watched any games outside of the Pac 10 this year? Because after talking to you and seeing what you post on here makes me think otherwise. UCLA has two wins over ranked opponents this year, Oklahoma and California. Neither of those two teams are all that good. Cal has no quarterback, Joe Ayoob stinks. UCLA beat Oklahoma in the beginning of the year when they were still breaking in a freshman QB. So when you break it down, UCLA has not beaten anyone that is in the Top 25 right now.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:02 PM   #27
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Badgers? Badgers? We don't need no stinkin' Badgers!

Go Warriors!
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 12:08 AM   #28
JeeberD
General Manager

UTEP gets another shot at CUSA West today when we take on SMU in Dallas. Hopefully the large UTEP crowd there (including yours truly) will give the Miners a boost because SMU isn't the pushover they once were...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 12:20 AM   #29
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16
Losing 58-14 to a 3 win team is not going to gain you much respect. Have you watched any games outside of the Pac 10 this year? Because after talking to you and seeing what you post on here makes me think otherwise. UCLA has two wins over ranked opponents this year, Oklahoma and California. Neither of those two teams are all that good. Cal has no quarterback, Joe Ayoob stinks. UCLA beat Oklahoma in the beginning of the year when they were still breaking in a freshman QB. So when you break it down, UCLA has not beaten anyone that is in the Top 25 right now.

No worries.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:20 AM   #30
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I really hope Rutgers can win tomorrow and put a little energy back into this season. I'd feel much better about a 7-4 season and entering a bowl game then backing into one at 6-5 on 3 straight losses.

I haven't checked, but I really hope Ryan Hart is starting at QB tomorrow. Mike Teel (freshman) has been fucking terrible.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:49 AM   #31
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

It could be Rutgers vs. Stanford in a bowl game if Stanford can beat Notre Dame. Or Notre Dame could show up tomorrow, and Stanford will be home for bowl week again.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:09 AM   #32
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
It could be Rutgers vs. Stanford in a bowl game if Stanford can beat Notre Dame. Or Notre Dame could show up tomorrow, and Stanford will be home for bowl week again.

Actually I think a Stanford win likely knocks Rutgers out of a bowl game entirely -especially if Rutgers loses.

The Big East only has 4 bowl bids (BCS+3)

Right now they only have 4 bowl eligible teams: South Florida, West Virginia, Louisville, Rutgers

UConn is the only school left that can become bowl eligible, but that would require beating South Florida and Louisville... so pretty unlikely.

Now the problem is that Notre Dame is affiliated with the Big East when it comes to bowl bids. So if Notre Dame doesn't grab a BCS at-large bit, then it means they snag a Big East bid. Guess who's getting shut out at that point?
Old 11-26-2005, 02:20 AM   #33
sooner333
College Starter

I can see it now, BCS Matchps

Rose: Penn State (#1) vs. USC (#2)
Fiesta: Iowa State (Big XII) vs. UCLA (Pac 10)
Sugar: Georgia (SEC) vs. Notre Dame (at-large)
Orange: South Florida (Big East) vs. Florida State (ACC)
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 02:21 AM   #34
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Actually I think a Stanford win likely knocks Rutgers out of a bowl game entirely -especially if Rutgers loses.

Right now they only have 4 bowl eligible teams: South Florida, West Virginia, Louisville, Rutgers

UConn is the only school left that can become bowl eligible, but that would require beating South Florida and Louisville... so pretty unlikely.

Now the problem is that Notre Dame is affiliated with the Big East when it comes to bowl bids. So if Notre Dame doesn't grab a BCS at-large bit, then it means they snag a Big East bid. Guess who's getting shut out at that point?

Nah, there are only 6 teams from the SEC going to bowl games this year...only seven from the Big 12 if OU can hang on tomorrow vs. OSU. There WILL be spots in bowls for at-large teams. Rutgers is a pretty big media market, and ESPN will probably have some influence on the bowl selections.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 02:54 AM   #35
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

So, when does the Big East lost their BCS spot? I assume they are under contract for a period of time, but when that contract runs out, can that BCS spot be given to another conference? Can you give multiple BCS bids to a conference? I would think no, since that would make every other major conference throw a shitfit. How about another at-large spot instead of a Big East team? If the Big East team goes 12-0 or 11-1, they could be considered, but I just don't see South Florida knocking off a high-caliber ACC team.

South Florida may now post this on their bulletin board.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:01 AM   #36
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
So, when does the Big East lost their BCS spot? I assume they are under contract for a period of time, but when that contract runs out, can that BCS spot be given to another conference? Can you give multiple BCS bids to a conference? I would think no, since that would make every other major conference throw a shitfit. How about another at-large spot instead of a Big East team? If the Big East team goes 12-0 or 11-1, they could be considered, but I just don't see South Florida knocking off a high-caliber ACC team.

There isn't a contract, per se. The BCS conferences have certain performance requirements to keep their automatic berth. A conference can lose it's automatic berth if the conference champion does not have an average ranking of #12 or higher over a 4 year period.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 06:03 AM   #37
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I think they should remove the BCS bid and make it a quasi-at-large bid. Give it to the highest ranked conference champsion not in the BCS (my new, revised BCS).

So the breakdown would be:

• ACC champ
  • Big 10 champ
  • Big 12 champ
  • PAC-10 champ
  • SEC Champ
  • Highest Ranked Champ of the following conferences: Big East, Conference USA, MAC, Mountain West, Sun Belt, WAC
  • 2 At-large

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 11-26-2005 at 06:08 AM.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:07 AM   #38
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Hell lets just remove all the bcs bids and make them all at large.. 1-8 from the bcs polls and have ourselves a playoff

Last edited by Ragone : 11-26-2005 at 06:07 AM.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 07:34 AM   #39
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333
Nah, there are only 6 teams from the SEC going to bowl games this year...only seven from the Big 12 if OU can hang on tomorrow vs. OSU. There WILL be spots in bowls for at-large teams. Rutgers is a pretty big media market, and ESPN will probably have some influence on the bowl selections.
I haven't started looking at all avenues yet, but that sounds promising. Being the fan of the teams I am (Jets, Rutgers) I've been looking at every possible way this thing can blow up in my face.

I'm hoping that even in a worst-case scenario Rutgers makes it a bowl game. I'm really hoping they can land in the Meineke Car Care Bowl in Charolotte, as I could actually attend that one.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 11-26-2005 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:32 AM   #40
Dutch
"Dutch"

The Top 4 teams in the coaches poll should play the week immediately following the conference championships. 4 @ 1 and 3 @ 2. Winners play in the BCS Championship Bowl regardless of conference/traditions and the entire rest of the division go on to play their regularly scheduled bowl games (to include the losers of the mini-4 team Championship playoff. And don't give me any crap about #5 or beyond. If you were even considered #5 (questionably or not) by the coaches, you aren't worthy of competing for #1. End of Story.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 10:30 AM   #41
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:

The contract runs through 2007. West Virginia is 9-1 and was 11th in the BCS going into this week, which is higher than anyone in any of the non-BCS conferences. After the 2007 season they will re-evaluate, and the Big East will probably maintain its BCS bid.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:18 AM   #42
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Gah.
Why can't a consistent Terps team show up?

The best thing to come out of this season is that some of our younger guys are getting experience. :\

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 12:27 PM   #43
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

10-0 Rutgers with 2:49 to go in the first.

Woot!
Old 11-26-2005, 12:39 PM   #44
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Or the fact that they play in a very skill oriented conference where the teams are very good in the offensive department
Oh there's no doubt that the Pac-10 has very skilled teams offensively. But when all you have is offense, you're going to lose games against a team like Arizona.

And when you play teams that also have a good offense, like Penn State (28th in total offense), and also have a good defense, more times than not, you're going to lose.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:07 PM   #45
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
we have Penn State's attention.

Who is "we"?
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 01:09 PM   #46
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think they should remove the BCS bid and make it a quasi-at-large bid. Give it to the highest ranked conference champsion not in the BCS (my new, revised BCS).

So the breakdown would be:

• ACC champ
  • Big 10 champ
  • Big 12 champ
  • PAC-10 champ
  • SEC Champ
  • Highest Ranked Champ of the following conferences: Big East, Conference USA, MAC, Mountain West, Sun Belt, WAC
  • 2 At-large

There's gonna be 2 extra at-large bids next year, so there is no need for the Big east to lose its bid.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 11-26-2005, 01:10 PM   #47
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
Who is "we"?

if you'd been watching the Texas-Texas A&M game, you would have gotten it. It makes no sense out of context and had nothing to do with Rutgers.

17-3 Rutgers, BTW.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:14 PM   #48
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:

nah CT, we're pretty good. If Stanford wins, than Oregon and Ohio State get the BCS at-large spots. If the Big Ten gets 2 BCS spots, they don't fill the Motor City Bowl, and then that spot goes to a Big east team if we have enough eligible teams.

It shouldn't come to that tho.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 11-26-2005, 01:22 PM   #49
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
nah CT, we're pretty good. If Stanford wins, than Oregon and Ohio State get the BCS at-large spots. If the Big Ten gets 2 BCS spots, they don't fill the Motor City Bowl, and then that spot goes to a Big east team if we have enough eligible teams.

It shouldn't come to that tho.

I won't feel safe until it's offical, man.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:23 PM   #50
General Mike
Pro Starter

23-3 at the half. Thank you Mark Dantonio.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF