Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-04-2003, 10:00 PM   #1
maximus
Banned

New preview of TPF posted

http://www.footballology.com/videoga...3?ArticleID=69

Good read Jason. Thanks. The more info we can get....

maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:12 PM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

He may be a troll, and not a very good one, but that's a good preview
Old 12-04-2003, 10:39 PM   #3
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SirFozzie
He may be a troll, and not a very good one, but that's a good preview

Why is he a troll now?
Old 12-04-2003, 10:42 PM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

max, he was druez, Dr. Auschwitz, Jew Broad, Mr. Poo and probably a few others I missed.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:42 PM   #5
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by maximus
Why is he a troll now?

If you don't want to be mentioned with trolls (as you stated ad naseum today), don't keep popping out of the woodwork every time someone uses the term.

And I'm quite certain you know why he's a troll.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:47 PM   #6
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
If you don't want to be mentioned with trolls (as you stated ad naseum today), don't keep popping out of the woodwork every time someone uses the term.

And I'm quite certain you know why he's a troll.

Thanks for the post but...no I didn't know he was a troll. In fact, I thought he was a nice guy over at the TPF forums. PM me if you want to talk. Don't bring this thread into a fight as I am sure thats what you would like. I want to stay away from this shit so DO NOT bring me into it........I will not answer your posts if they are directed towards me in any attempt to get me to "troll" as you call it......

Either way, get off your high horse OK. I'll pop out whatever woodwork I feel like. Step off and have a nice day.........

Last edited by maximus : 12-04-2003 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:48 PM   #7
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
max, he was druez, Dr. Auschwitz, Jew Broad, Mr. Poo and probably a few others I missed.

Oh, OK...thanks.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:54 PM   #8
Daimyo
College Starter

hmmm... I think maximus is really that CooleyBot guy that terrorized the FOBL forums a while back...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:57 PM   #9
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Daimyo
hmmm... I think maximus is really that CooleyBot guy that terrorized the FOBL forums a while back...

ya, thats me....

read the thread I posted to cthomer5000 and walk with it.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:00 PM   #10
maximus
Banned

In fact, any attempts from anyone who is trying to get me to "troll" the board will have to hold your breath and hold it for a very long time. I will not answer your posts.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:01 PM   #11
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
In fact, any attempts from anyone who is trying to get me to "troll" the board will have to hold your breath and hold it for a very long time. I will not answer your posts.

is that a challenge?

Last edited by McSweeny : 12-04-2003 at 11:05 PM.
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:04 PM   #12
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

"I will not accept a banning", in other words?
SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:06 PM   #13
FargoFreez aka fof playa
Banned

Quote:

Good. Because you're making me noxious without holding my breath.
FargoFreez aka fof playa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:14 PM   #14
korme
Go Reds

Wow, that was uncalled for cthomer..
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:18 PM   #15
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281

and here we have shorty, defender of the down-trodden, protector of unpopular, guardian of the squalid, emissary to the trolls!

McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:21 PM   #16
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:

I disagree.

Circle gets the square.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:21 PM   #17
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

Why am I not surprised to see you jump in here?

Anyway, maximus was just going on and on and on about how he doesn't want to be associated with trolls - yet he continues to find bait where there is none, and become ultra-defensive about any comment anyone makes.

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...threadid=18003 to see why I made that post.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:27 PM   #18
korme
Go Reds

Are you an idiot?

He asks why that guy is a troll - he did not know that he was druez or any other likeness and simply wanted to find the reasoning. In no way did maximus disagree that the guy was a troll, he just did not know why and a post later got it explained to him. All would have been well until you came clammering in with your riff raff about maximus yet again.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:29 PM   #19
korme
Go Reds

I apologize for calling you an idiot, as I don't have time to wait for a response, goodnight comrad.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:36 PM   #20
Blade6119
Coordinator

ct...you did jump all over him...shorty..your still the second coolest teenager here(behind me of course...and below me since im bigger then 3' tall...by about another 3 feet)...so in conclusion, i needed a self-esteem boost, and ct was wrong in this case

I didnt know it was druez, and would have posted the same thing...honest mistake by one, bitching by other...good night
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 07:27 AM   #21
Subby
lolzcat

Looking at the review objectively:

The whole point of the mini-review, it seems, is to point out that TPF does a better job of PBP than FOFC does. According to the reviewer, TPF incorporates sounds and more descriptive text than FOFC.

To be honest, from his examples, I just don't see that much difference from 2k4 and what he offered. Maybe I am missing something here. Ok, it has sound, but let's be honest - sound is fluff. It would be one thing if the games were played out in Madden-style fashion or something...but I just don't understand how sound makes a whit of difference in a sports text simulation.

So TPF has similar text PBP to FOFC and sound. Great. It has slick html output. Great.

I am really interested in TPF. But to be honest, I am looking forward to a review that covers the meat of the game but doesn't focus on the incidentals...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 07:30 AM   #22
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:

Dola

Lawrence Taylor called. He wants his crack-induced manic persona back...
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 08:05 AM   #23
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

This review doesn't really tell me anything other than the fella doesn't like the FOF series.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:05 AM   #24
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Subby

The whole point of the mini-review, it seems, is to point out that TPF does a better job of PBP than FOFC does. According to the reviewer, TPF incorporates sounds and more descriptive text than FOFC.

To be honest, from his examples, I just don't see that much difference from 2k4 and what he offered. Maybe I am missing something here. Ok, it has sound, but let's be honest - sound is fluff. It would be one thing if the games were played out in Madden-style fashion or something...but I just don't understand how sound makes a whit of difference in a sports text simulation.

So TPF has similar text PBP to FOFC and sound. Great. It has slick html output. Great.

I am really interested in TPF. But to be honest, I am looking forward to a review that covers the meat of the game but doesn't focus on the incidentals...

I agree, Sub. It seems TPF has broken all know barriers of play-by-play Let's face it, a lot of the replay sims have been doing this for years (SOM, APBA, etc). Nothing really groundbreaking here (althought the HTML output sounds nice). Jim chose to not go in the direction and it seems like a no-brainer to me, but that was his choice. It's something the developers of TPF have chosen to do and is a nice touch.

But...What I'm really interested in is a detailed 30-year career study by someone who has the beta - something like what's been done soon after FOF2004's release. Only then can we uncover inconsistencies and anomalies that could possibly destroy the game experience for me. And...I'm not saying TPF isn't going to do it, either. I'm just in a "prove it to me" kind of mode right now with sports sims.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 08:11 AM   #25
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

His review of FOF was very favorable and fair. It is hard to say what motivates people to dive-bomb a Forum, but I do know that I will be avoiding footballolollooollolooogy.ology.org.com for the foreseeableologoloogy future.

Just like they never show the naked guys running onto the field anymore, if you don't watch, they go away. Or, at the very least, nobody sees their hairy pimpled ass.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 08:16 AM   #26
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigSca
But...What I'm really interested in is a detailed 30-year career study by someone who has the beta - something like what's been done soon after FOF2004's release. Only then can we uncover inconsistencies and anomalies that could possibly destroy the game experience for me. And...I'm not saying TPF isn't going to do it, either. I'm just in a "prove it to me" kind of mode right now with sports sims.

Ya, this is what I would like to see as well...I agree. Hmmm, I wonder if SkyDog would "bounce the idea off of the TPF team" *hint* -wink-wink-

While I thought the review was good I would like to see a 30 yr career. The draft process, player development (a big one), and some indepth insight on players.

Last edited by maximus : 12-05-2003 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:17 AM   #27
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
The FOF play-by-play really could use some work. I don't feel like I'm watching a play unfold, but rather that I'm just being presented with a block of information. I like the OOTP play-by-play in concept (although I can't understand why they won't hire a writer/editor) so I hope TPF is similar.

The only benefit to sound will be in letting you know what's going on when you're simming quickly. If there's a specific sound for turnovers and injuries, that could be helpful for those of us who don't sim the games at a slow speed and read every word. If it's just a case of playing the same QB sound effects before the play, then a cheer afterwards, well... you'll be able to turn it off, right?
Quote:
Agreed, all the fancy play-by-play in the world won't help if the AI and stats engine aren't up to par.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 08:27 AM   #28
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ya, this is what I would like to see as well...I agree. Hmmm, I wonder if SkyDog would "bounce the idea off of the TPF team" *hint* -wink-wink-

I would hope the issue would be only whether to publish a study like this in a public forum. If they're not already doing it and doing some analysis of the data they find, then the game is in trouble. No matter how solid a design document is, there's always going to be massive tweaking to make the system work right.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 08:29 AM   #29
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigSca
I would hope the issue would be only whether to publish a study like this in a public forum. If they're not already doing it and doing some analysis of the data they find, then the game is in trouble. No matter how solid a design document is, there's always going to be massive tweaking to make the system work right.

I won't go into detail but I have already asked SkyDog if he would do this. I asked yesterday.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:41 AM   #30
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

I agree. PbP is irrelevant, imo and sounds are completely irrelevant. I really want to know the levels of decision making as GM and the feedback/interpretations the game presents to you. I also want to know the level of "macro-ness" in coaching your team (i.e., using your coordinators). These are two areas (feedback/interpretation and macro screens) that can really differentiate TPF from FOF2004 and make for an exciting game.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 08:45 AM   #31
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

What I was originally going to post (regarding the review itself) was that I found it interesting that the only text in bold is basically a shot at FOF.

Still, I'm very hopeful that TPF does indeed rock my world. I'll probably pick it up after the first patch, and I'm hoping we'll have 2 football sims that will push each other for years to come.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:48 AM   #32
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally posted by Buccaneer
sounds are completely irrelevant
I didn't even notice the sounds until they were mentioned in this thread.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:55 AM   #33
Bonegavel

How is your part of testing going SD?

Old 12-05-2003, 09:10 AM   #34
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

I was thinking of a game where the pbp really enhanced the game for me personally and the only one I could think of was Baseball for Windows that had Ernie Harwell, but that was actual sound.

One of these days I would love to see someone allow you to make multiple text commentaries where you could select one for any game. For instance if i was the Cowboys and playing the Eagles I could select their pbp team and watch them be homers and vice versa. So many of the teams in the booth have their own trademark phrases and stuff.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:17 AM   #35
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Everyone, vote in the poll about the importance of PBP to you.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:41 AM   #36
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I think PbP is important for those who want to play out their games. I don't, so it doesn't matter. Likewise, for someone who wants more "atmosphere" while playing the game, I think sound can add to that. I just don't care, since I never play my games, and rarely even watch them.

The review was fine for the most part, but it didn't really give me any information or perspective on any of the issues I care about. I did find it somewhat curious that he chose to bold-print the sentence about how TPF's PbP was better than FOF's. Not necessary, IMO. Unless he's got an agenda.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-05-2003 at 09:42 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 09:42 AM   #37
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:

FOFC has play by play?...is that available in any browser?

Last edited by Bee : 12-05-2003 at 09:43 AM.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 09:53 AM   #38
MrIllini
High School Varsity

Quote:

shut up
Old 12-05-2003, 10:02 AM   #39
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
What I was originally going to post (regarding the review itself) was that I found it interesting that the only text in bold is basically a shot at FOF.

Still, I'm very hopeful that TPF does indeed rock my world. I'll probably pick it up after the first patch, and I'm hoping we'll have 2 football sims that will push each other for years to come.

That was the part that got me. Why bold that one sentence?

I too hope TPF is great, but that preview didn't make me feel any more or less inclined to believe it will be.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:22 AM   #40
KWhit
Coordinator

I wish he would have written his preview as a rap.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 10:24 AM   #41
MrIllini
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
I wish he would have written his preview as not crap.

my thoughts exactly KWhit
Old 12-05-2003, 10:45 AM   #42
Dutch
"Dutch"

A TPF limerick would have been a good read too...
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 11:41 AM   #43
Bonegavel

I am by no means a fan of Mr. Kobold Jetski, but I didn't see the bolding as a knock against FOF. If you read his FOF review, it is very Fox Newsish: fair and balanced.

I think he has multiple personalities disorder. In some posts or his reviews, he seems like an average joe. In his out-of-conTROLL posts, he seems like a 12 year old that had his G.I. Joe with the Kung-fu grip taken minutes after unwrapping it on Christmas morning.

Old 12-05-2003, 11:49 AM   #44
maximus
Banned

Quote:

..... I would like to see a 30 yr career. The draft process, player development (a big one), and some indepth insight on players.

SkyDog?