Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #401
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmae View Post
Just crazy... That is one of my home resorts and I know exactly where this happened. The beach has direct access to the water in that area and while there are no swimming signs posted it is very easy to get near or in the water. Having said that it does not surprise me that an alligator was near there as I have seen them on the lagoon. Being central Florida I always assumed everyone knows about gators but maybe there was not direct knowledge or the family just wasn't prepared to encounter one. I know on the disboards there are people who are astounded that alligators are within the lagoon. Really people? I do feel for this family.. Just tragic.

We've seen them several times when going to Disney. It's somewhat like tornadoes in the Midwest. Yes, they don't happen very often, but you still have to be aware of the dangers. In this instance, there's not much they could do. We went with our friends to the same resort and goofed around on the same beach in the sand. This is a pic of my friend's daughter on the beach. Most of the time we just were at the pool because there's a bar in there for the big kids.

The movies are a very popular thing at the resorts. They're obviously going to have to move them inside the resort further away from the lagoon going forward.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:00 AM   #402
PilotMan
Head Coach

This is such an awful story. Just gut wrenching. But I couldn't help but think about the reaction to this and the reaction to the Cincy Zoo event.

Both involve 3 yr olds. Both involved those kids being where they shouldn't. Yes, I know one kid jumped a fence and crawled where he shouldn't and that's crazy, but here a parent was letting the child play where it was posted no swimming. Not the same at all, but not that different either.

You had the zoo have to kill the gorilla, a zoo raised animal, but wild nonetheless. Here you have game and wildlife kill 4 wild gators to try and find the remains.

I was appalled at the hate from the Zoo incident. Where are those same people now? Is this situation so incredibly different? Gators just don't deserve the love that gorillas do? Because of that whole shared ancestry thing. Ok, I can buy that.

My point is, that this situation, just emphasizes what incredible douchebags those people who were calling for the kid to be killed or the Mom to have to watch that because she let her kid get away from her.

I can't even imagine how painful this whole experience is for the parents. Did they have other kids with them too, or just the little girl? I'm not sure that my wife and I could ever recover from this.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:20 AM   #403
Ned Doolittle
Banned

There is no reason to go swimming in a location where there is a no swimming sign posted in a city where you can throw a rock and hit a place that has a pool. This sucks for sure tho. But how do you know the no swimming sign is posted there because of chemicals or waste dumping? Awful situation, I'm going to Orlando in August and this just reinforces being overly vigilant and overprotective of my 2 monkies.
Ned Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #404
timmae
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
This is such an awful story. Just gut wrenching. But I couldn't help but think about the reaction to this and the reaction to the Cincy Zoo event.

Both involve 3 yr olds. Both involved those kids being where they shouldn't. Yes, I know one kid jumped a fence and crawled where he shouldn't and that's crazy, but here a parent was letting the child play where it was posted no swimming. Not the same at all, but not that different either.

You had the zoo have to kill the gorilla, a zoo raised animal, but wild nonetheless. Here you have game and wildlife kill 4 wild gators to try and find the remains.

I was appalled at the hate from the Zoo incident. Where are those same people now? Is this situation so incredibly different? Gators just don't deserve the love that gorillas do? Because of that whole shared ancestry thing. Ok, I can buy that.

My point is, that this situation, just emphasizes what incredible douchebags those people who were calling for the kid to be killed or the Mom to have to watch that because she let her kid get away from her.

I can't even imagine how painful this whole experience is for the parents. Did they have other kids with them too, or just the little girl? I'm not sure that my wife and I could ever recover from this.

Tough situation, no doubt... I imagine imminent death would play a role in deciding what animals to euthanize. I am not sure killing 4 gators makes sense in this case but yeah, because of the viciousness and the fact the child has not been found, the actions are not surprising (although disturbing).
Old 06-15-2016, 09:29 AM   #405
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Seriously, when I've seen the signs there, I never understood why there was no swimming. Disney gives the impression of a highly controlled atmosphere to enrich the entire experience. I never gave a thought to alligators in the lake being the reason for no swimming. I just thought perhaps since there's no lifeguard present or even the presence of amoebas in freshwater lakes, etc.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #406
Easy Mac

We were eating over there at whatever that Cinderella dinner is 2 weeks ago. We saw some guys on boats in that water over there with lures and whatnot. At first we though they were fishing, but my father-in-law thought they were actually doing something to control for alligators. He figured there was a crap-ton of gators in the lakes around Disney.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:03 AM   #407
Logan
Head Coach

Awful story and I feel terrible for the parents. Not being familiar with the area, the picture I had in my head for how this might have occurred was basically a little kid getting too close to a small pond that you would never reasonably expect to swim in or wade in. And before I saw the pic MBBF posted, I saw the pic below. I think Disney has a major, major issue on their hands that they will need to fix once they settle with this family.

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #408
timmae
College Starter

Gators are everywhere around Disney resort (and in some cases theme park) property. Including ponds, walkways, golf courses, etc... additional signage is needed but you really cannot protect people 100%. There will be a middle ground.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:31 AM   #409
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah a kid being in a foot of water isn't "swimming". From how this happened, and how other situations could possibly happen, it seems very possible that a gator could quickly grab a kid (especially at night if it isn't clearly seen coming) if they were just feet from the water and everyone was following the posted signs.

Last edited by Logan : 06-15-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #410
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Awful story and I feel terrible for the parents. Not being familiar with the area, the picture I had in my head for how this might have occurred was basically a little kid getting too close to a small pond that you would never reasonably expect to swim in or wade in. And before I saw the pic MBBF posted, I saw the pic below. I think Disney has a major, major issue on their hands that they will need to fix once they settle with this family.

The problem is clearly that, despite the signs saying don't go in there, it clearly looks like a swimming-friendly beach. I wouldn't be shocked to see a total redesign of this entire area after this incident. Even something as simple as creating a wall at the edge of the lagoon that's 3-5 feet above the water with a fence on top would do the trick and avoid this possibility. You could still have the sand at that level and kids could still play in the sand, but the alligators wouldn't be able to just slide right up the beach. The wall would contain the alligators and keep the people much safer.

For that matter, a cement wall of some height around the entire lagoon is a distinct possibility.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:45 AM   #411
timmae
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
The problem is clearly that, despite the signs saying don't go in there, it clearly looks like a swimming-friendly beach. I wouldn't be shocked to see a total redesign of this entire area after this incident. Even something as simple as creating a wall at the edge of the lagoon that's 3-5 feet above the water with a fence on top would do the trick and avoid this possibility. You could still have the sand at that level and kids could still play in the sand, but the alligators wouldn't be able to just slide right up the beach. The wall would contain the alligators and keep the people much safer.

For that matter, a cement wall of some height around the entire lagoon is a distinct possibility.

Because that worked so well at the Cincinnati Zoo!*

(*Sarcasm... I get what you are saying... I guess they need to try to protect 99% of the population knowing 1% just cannot be protected no matter what they do)
Old 06-15-2016, 11:02 AM   #412
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmae View Post
Because that worked so well at the Cincinnati Zoo!*

(*Sarcasm... I get what you are saying... I guess they need to try to protect 99% of the population knowing 1% just cannot be protected no matter what they do)

Exactly.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:30 AM   #413
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:

Seven Seas Lagoon is massive - it would be a significant cost to build a wall or fence or whatever around the entire thing (in addition to ruining the desired look). It's not like how they started to fence off the pools because there was a drowning incident not too far back.

This is a horrible and tragic accident but as the zoo showed accidents can happen despite the best efforts. I definitely think Disney will change the signs from no swimming to do not enter the water period and list things like gators, snakes, possibility of drowning etc but I'm not sure they can really do more than that. It's Florida - there are going to be gators and snakes and all kinds of things. Disney can't really do much about that unless they're just planning on destroying all the wildlife.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #414
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Was there back in February and wouldn't have though that this particular lagoon, which fronts the main entrance to Disney and is surrounded by its high-dollar resorts, would have alligators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Seriously, when I've seen the signs there, I never understood why there was no swimming. Disney gives the impression of a highly controlled atmosphere to enrich the entire experience. I never gave a thought to alligators in the lake being the reason for no swimming. I just thought perhaps since there's no lifeguard present or even the presence of amoebas in freshwater lakes, etc.

Same here. There's a world of difference between a "no swimming" sign and a "no swimming - danger of alligators" sign. That's just common sense. Plenty of beaches have "no swimming" signs because there's no lifeguard on duty. Americans are a bit inured to this because we assume this kind of sign is a ward against litigation, so if you don't do anything stupid you're fine. Non-Americans probably aren't even considering that alligators could be in those lakes.

MBBF's idea of the low wall, combined with signs that say "No Swimming - Alligators" would probably do the trick.

I'll bet good money that the reason the sign doesn't say "Alligators" right now is because it would keep people from those resorts. The potential lost revenue probably outweighs the settlement they're going to make with this family. At least that's the way I'd look at it as an actuary. Of course the lost revenue now....
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:37 AM   #415
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Exactly what I thought.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:39 AM   #416
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I'll bet good money that the reason the sign doesn't say "Alligators" right now is because it would keep people from those resorts. The potential lost revenue probably outweighs the settlement they're going to make with this family. At least that's the way I'd look at it as an actuary. Of course the lost revenue now....

Probably right on that - I had also read that there was a death from an infection caused by an amoeba years ago from that water - probably not something they wanted to put on a sign either.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:01 PM   #417
bob
College Starter

So I don't know much about liability law and I understand that Disney may settle this just to get it out of the press ASAP, but are they really liable for an wild indigenous animal in a large lake like that, especially with the No Swimming signs posted?

(not trying to pick a fight, asking a genuine question)
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:05 PM   #418
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
Probably right on that - I had also read that there was a death from an infection caused by an amoeba years ago from that water - probably not something they wanted to put on a sign either.

One look at that water if you're on that beach and most parents would see the general cleanliness of the water and say, 'Kids, you're not going in that water'. I've seen cleaner lake water in Missouri. It's absolutely gross.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:25 PM   #419
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
One look at that water if you're on that beach and most parents would see the general cleanliness of the water and say, 'Kids, you're not going in that water'. I've seen cleaner lake water in Missouri. It's absolutely gross.

Yup - that's why I don't get the Poly bungalows. It's not like you're sitting over the water in Bora Bora. Gross is probably an understatement for the seven seas lagoon.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:36 PM   #420
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
So I don't know much about liability law and I understand that Disney may settle this just to get it out of the press ASAP, but are they really liable for an wild indigenous animal in a large lake like that, especially with the No Swimming signs posted?

It's fairly fact specific, but the standard will be whether they took reasonable measures to protect or warn guests about a reasonably foreseeable danger. Whether the sign was enough (depending on where it was situated) to be a reasonable precaution given all other factors would be a jury question. If they really wanted to they could likely bleed the plaintiff out by making it a massive case with lots of discovery, but that's awful PR, as you note.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #421
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

Yeah, but in actuality (and I'm not looking to pick a fight here), they were on the beach waiting for the evening fireworks to start. It was probably somewhat dark and they were probably tired from a long day at Disney. Did they see any harm at letting the kiddo play in the water's edge? I wouldn't have.

That's what's so terrible. I could easily have seen this happen to one of my boys, and I'm not a stupid parent.

To put that last comment in perspective, I once bailed on a hike in California with my wife because as we started out on the trail I got spooked because a) mountain lion territory, b) there were no other cars in the parking lot, so no other humans around and c) the think layer of pine needles made everything completely quiet. I am somewhat paranoid to dangers, but having been to Disney recently I completely wouldn't have expected this danger at that specific "beach".

Edit: On that last point, just to underline this, as many of you know, I'm pretty pro-gun control, but if I was to routinely go hiking in parts of the rockies, real backwoods Maine, or Alaska, I would absolutely no have a problem with owning a firearm for protection (although there's a case to be made that spray is better vs. Bears, but that's another argument for another time).

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 06-15-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:36 PM   #422
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

You are thinking too much on this one. In the latest incident the kid almost certainly y died and in the other the kid didn't. Our kids have gotten in trouble for a lot of dumb things they did after they were safe and sound. Our reaction would have been a little different if one of them died.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:36 PM   #423
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

The sign was not illuminated and it was dark at a fireworks show where Disney advertised this as a great place to watch the display.

They'd get hung from the rafters.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:25 PM   #424
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Yeah, but in actuality (and I'm not looking to pick a fight here), they were on the beach waiting for the evening fireworks to start. It was probably somewhat dark and they were probably tired from a long day at Disney. Did they see any harm at letting the kiddo play in the water's edge? I wouldn't have.

That's what's so terrible. I could easily have seen this happen to one of my boys, and I'm not a stupid parent.

To put that last comment in perspective, I once bailed on a hike in California with my wife because as we started out on the trail I got spooked because a) mountain lion territory, b) there were no other cars in the parking lot, so no other humans around and c) the think layer of pine needles made everything completely quiet. I am somewhat paranoid to dangers, but having been to Disney recently I completely wouldn't have expected this danger at that specific "beach".

Edit: On that last point, just to underline this, as many of you know, I'm pretty pro-gun control, but if I was to routinely go hiking in parts of the rockies, real backwoods Maine, or Alaska, I would absolutely no have a problem with owning a firearm for protection (although there's a case to be made that spray is better vs. Bears, but that's another argument for another time).

There's no fight here. My only point was that I wouldn't let my kids in that water anyway because it's absolutely nasty and clearly a health hazard, regardless of the alligators.

I can see how they wouldn't see the danger, especially being from Nebraska/Midwest. It should definitely be clearer and I'm sure they'll rectify it going forward. They can't afford not to rectify it.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:38 PM   #425
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Searchers have found the body. As expected, but hopefully it brings the family closure.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:39 PM   #426
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Terrified Brit family 'chased by alligator' at same Disney resort weeks before beast took toddler - Mirror Online
Old 06-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #427
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The settlement for this is going to end up being huge.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:32 PM   #428
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The settlement for this is going to end up being huge.

HUUUUUGE
Then they are going to build a wall.

Wait, I need to get in the POTUS thread.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:08 PM   #429
timmae
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
HUUUUUGE
Then they are going to build a wall.

Wait, I need to get in the POTUS thread.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:25 AM   #430
digamma
Torchbearer

Can someone tell me how I've done?

We are going to Orlando in August. I know about the heat and humidity (lived for 3 summers in Valdosta), so I'm ok on that front.

We have some use them or lose them points, so staying just off property, which I know has its minuses. Here is the plan:

4 + 1 day Park Hopper (Undercover tourist has a 5th day free option right now).

Monday dinner: Liberty Tree Tavern
Tuesday dinner: Boma
Wednesday dinner: Chip & Dale's Harvest Feast at the Garden Grill
Thursday dinner: 50s Prime Time Cafe
Friday dinner: San Angel Inn

Anyone you'd leave off for somewhere else? Looking for both kid entertainment and decent food. The plan would be to have breakfast at our place on the way in to the park and either a snack or lunch quick, with maybe a breather in the afternoon before heading back in for dinner.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:39 AM   #431
timmae
College Starter

Boma is a good selection. It provides both more unique offerings along with standard food. Salads, main dishes and desserts abound. Be sure to come hungry!

I haven't tried the others but the fact you have planned ahead of time helps. I assume you have reservations at all.

For lunch options my wife and I love the nutella waffles in liberty square in magic kingdom. Flame tree at animal kingdom was a disappointment but they have a good noodle dish at a cart between harambe village and the Asian market.

There are good lunch options, and huge cupcakes, at the cafe near the brown derby at Hollywood studios.

Epcot has tons of options.. The French market is my favorite for variety.

Have fun on your trip!!
Old 06-19-2016, 09:43 AM   #432
timmae
College Starter

Forgot to add... I have never wanted to eat at living with the land building due to the horrendous smell in there. I assume it has to do with the natural gardens or whatever but it has been very off putting for me. We get down to soarin and back out of that building as quickly as we can.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:54 AM   #433
CraigSca
Pro Starter

On a day you go to epcot, you can go to the global showcase before it officially opens at 11am if you tell them you're going to France for breakfast (and I highly recommend it). The breakfast options there are great and it's pretty cool being in the Global showcase when it's empty (awesome photo opportunities as well).

As far as places to eat - the usual suspects (Ohana in the Polynesian, California Grill in the Contemporary) are usually booked far ahead of time, but I have gotten lucky as it seems people make cancellations late - so make sure you check the MyDisneyExperience app constantly if you're looking to score one of those places.
how do you know?

Old 06-19-2016, 01:26 PM   #434
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Can someone tell me how I've done?

Not bad, with maybe some possible tweaks.

Quote:

LTree is basically like having Thanksgiving dinner. It's a staple of our many trips, though usually midweek (as a fried/burger break)

Our Boma dinner was simply out of this world. Arguably, overall, maybe the best meal I've had in my life.

Garden Grill is your one that I see. Maybe it's improved over the years that have passed since our visit but it's the only truly abysmal sit-down dining experience we had at WDW. Food was weak, service was even weaker. I'd skip dinner before I'd ever go to it again.

50's PT is fun, at least if you enjoy campy/kitschy. Much more fun for us however, in the same park, is Sci-Fi Drive In.

San Angel Inn is kind of a mixed bag IMO. The ambience is neat, the food is entirely mediocre. A lot of people seem to find the former makes up for the latter enough that it's a do-at-least-once kind of thing.

The one possible critique of your scheduling is that you have your two heaviest meals on the first couple of days, you're very front loaded.

Quote:
Anyone you'd leave off for somewhere else? Looking for both kid entertainment and decent food. The plan would be to have breakfast at our place on the way in to the park and either a snack or lunch quick, with maybe a breather in the afternoon before heading back in for dinner.

I'm assuming everything I'm about to mention is still open & functioning normally, but definitely check for the latest circumstances on them as construction & what not is always happening at WDW somewhere

Epcot has your best dining options generally speaking. I liked Marakesh (Morroco pavillion) surprisingly well on a lunch visit, one of the best themed (tho totally touristy version) restaurants there. And the belly-dancer we had was kinda hot Rose & Crown Pub (UK pavillion) is THE way to enjoy the fireworks, IF you get the patio seating. Le Cellier (Canada) is very strong too, though pricey even by Disney standards. If they've started offering their lunch option, it's a heavy but very satisfying alternative. Always reminds me of the good old days of dining ala Steak & Ale (if you recall them in their heyday then you know the drill there).

Also there, Coral Reef at Epcot let's you surf n' turf while surrounding by fish in wall sized aquariums.

At MK, we consider The Plaza to be one of the better hidden jewels of Disney dining. It's just burgers, hot dogs,sandwiches but semi-hidden near the front of MK, it's basically a sit-down way to have counter service fare while enjoying air conditioning. And it's priced same as the counter service essentially. It's perfectly situated for lunch on your way out of MK before heading to the room for an afternoon nap/break.

Columbia Harbor House (kinda around the corner from Liberty Tree) with chicken or fish options, is another sort of in between feeling option. It's really a counter serv but can feel a little less mall McDonald's than some of the others.

For walk-ups at the various parks, there's the seasonally operated Tomorrowland Terrace (between Main Street & Tomorrowland). A bit different menu than the other burgers/fries oriented counter servs. Cosmic Ray's, with the animatronic floor show, is a fun bit of burger & fries. Snack-time, Aloha Isle is usually just called "the Dole Whip place", probably my wife's one "absolutely gotta" food stop during a visit.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:09 AM   #435
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post

We always eat at LTT for lunch because a) its cheaper and b) you get to order off a menu instead of the dinner platter. Food has always been excellent.

No experience with Boma but have heard great things if you are an adventurous eater which my family really isn't.

Garden Grill - done twice, some of the best character interaction we have had for a meal to go with some of the worst food plus the restaurant wasn't rotating at least one of the times we ate there.

50s cafe - our experience has been really good food and the funny interactions with the waiter really depends on their attitude but slooooow service. Never have we been seated on time and meals have always taken forever. Recently we've been doing the Sci-Fi Drive In at Hollywood Studios and that's been a fun experience.

San Angel - no experience there as I don't like Mexican food but we go in the building for the boat ride all the time. Atmosphere looks really cool.

Second on JiMGA recommendations for Rose & Crown if you can get the patio seating near fireworks time and Le Cellier is excellent but very tough to get a reservation. We've also had excellent meals at Chefs de France and Tutto Italia. Not really anything in terms of kid entertainment in those choices but good food.

We haven't been since the Jungle Cruise Skipper Canteen has opened but that place sounds cool.

As far as kid entertainment - Coral Reef as JiMGA said has one wall that is all glass from the giant aquarium so that's cool to look at. Be Our Guest is a very well themed restaurant and the kids can meet the Beast after dinner. 'Ohana at the Polynesian is our favorite meal - again cool if you get a table by the window at fireworks time and there's usually at least some kind of kid parade or something during the meal. Chef Mickey's is an overpriced buffet at the Contemporary but you get Mickey and company coming to your table during the meal so it beats waiting in line for them in the parks.

We don't care for a ton of the quick service places in the parks other than the Sunshine Seasons (same building as the Garden Grill, Soarin etc). No burgers/fries there. Pizza Planet is basically quick service pizza and arcade games so that's always a favorite of my kids. Cosmic Rays is fun too.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:27 PM   #436
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
We haven't been since the Jungle Cruise Skipper Canteen has opened but that place sounds cool.

Haven't been here yet, but the menu looks really nice, especially for MK. They are also now accepting advanced reservations.

Also, was just at Disney Springs this past weekend and with the revamp, it's quickly turning into a place where you can shop (as usual), but also take advantage of a lot of establishments that are offering walk-up gourmet food/drink options. I think the long term goal is to make Disney Springs a year-long Food and Wine Festival with a lot of upscale shopping.
how do you know?

Old 06-20-2016, 01:33 PM   #437
Easy Mac

We went to San Angel 2 years ago and it was one of the worst Mexican meals we've had, anywhere. Very mediocre.

For Disney Springs, we tried the new burger place that opened up there. The burger was pretty good. Tender and juicy, though mine was overcooked. The fries were atrocious. After reading up, it appears the marinate the fries in something prior to frying them. They had an extreme vinegar taste to them.

Also, you may or may not know, but at any quick service location, you can ask for free cups of ice water. A good way to save a snack credit on drinks, and nice so that you don't need to carry a bottle with you the whole time. I think I went through 8 or 9 cups of water a day while I was there and still felt dehydrated.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:33 AM   #438
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

The Jungle Cruise Skipper Canteen is great for the theme decorations and staff, merely good for the food. None of us complained about the food, but I can't remember what I ate, either. If you go, be sure to wander around to all the dining areas and look at the walls and display cases.

We went to San Angel (with a big group) and it was meh. Only my father-in-law (who picked up the check) really enjoyed it. His idea of fine dining is Olive Garden and choosing the Tour of Italy, so be warned.

My daughter and her family go to Disney Springs once or twice a week to graze. They enjoy:

Sprinkles Bakery (cupcakes)
Vivoli il Gelato
Daily Poutine (20-month old grandson loves this place)
Morimoto take-out (again, grandson loves bento boxes--he does NOT get this from me)
Aristocrepes
Amorettes Patisserie
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW

Last edited by OldGiants : 06-21-2016 at 08:33 AM.
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:48 AM   #439
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Hey, Frozen Ever After opened today at Epcot. If you're willing, the lines are currently 300 minutes long.

Nope, I don't get it.
how do you know?

Old 06-21-2016, 11:30 AM   #440
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Hey, Frozen Ever After opened today at Epcot. If you're willing, the lines are currently 300 minutes long.

Nope, I don't get it.

Hopefully that means lines are much shorter elsewhere in the park. No way I am waiting 5 hours for any ride, show, etc.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:27 PM   #441
Easy Mac

I can't imagine waiting 5 hours for this

Frozen Ever After - YouTube
Old 06-21-2016, 02:19 PM   #442
cuervo72
Head Coach

I can't imagine that vid will stay up for long.

(or maybe it will, there's one up from 2014 for Maelstrom)

Last edited by cuervo72 : 06-21-2016 at 02:21 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:44 PM   #443
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I can't imagine that vid will stay up for long.

(or maybe it will, there's one up from 2014 for Maelstrom)

Virtually every ride ever has multiple videos up on YT. Hardly ever seen one taken down.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:28 PM   #444
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, I guess that's the case. Surprising though, I would have thought Disney would have considered this IP, which they are usually pretty dogged about defending.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #445
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This is a bit better done POV video if you want to see what the ride looks like.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:19 PM   #446
cougarfreak
College Starter

I'm heading to Epcot tonight for the extra magic hours after spending the day at Animal and dinner at Sanaa. The new Soarin is fabulous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2016, 06:23 PM   #447
timmae
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I'm heading to Epcot tonight for the extra magic hours after spending the day at Animal and dinner at Sanaa. The new Soarin is fabulous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoy the evening.. So jealous! Have a Tipsy Ducks in Love for me!
Old 06-21-2016, 06:53 PM   #448
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:

Man, I loved Sanaa.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:56 PM   #449
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

I haven't seen much about it. What did they change in Soarin'?
Old 06-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #450
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I haven't seen much about it. What did they change in Soarin'?

Added a third theater at WDW, in anticipation of new film version. I think they're going to alternate the Cali and Around The World versions, not sure though.