Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2019, 09:37 PM   #451
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Gophers really should have lost to Fresno St.... 4th and 13 either in OT or end of the 4th quarter and they made an amazing play to save that game. Next game playing at Iowa is going to be extremely difficult. Coming off their biggest win in 33 years playing in front of an extremely jacked up crowd now going on the road to play a huge rivalry game in a game they need to be just as focused for. I didnt think they had much of a shot today but think next week is even a less likely win after winning today.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-09-2019 at 09:45 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:55 PM   #452
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Really didn’t like Iowa state going for two. You do that when you are outclassed and they were easily the best team on the field in the second half.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:02 AM   #453
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Yeah, the boards are in an uproar. Defense sucks and we are limping on offense with our starting QB's not turning out the way we wanted. We played QB3 & QB4 and setting up for next year I hope.

When a team starts at the bottom, a new coach gets 4 years assuming there is some sort of progression. With Morris, we haven't seen any. I think he should get another year at least but my heart says rip off the bandage this year and look for another coach.

Forums busy today saying Morris has been canned and announcement on Mon. Don't know how much faith I would put on these reports. Heard it was a $10M buyout but Jerry Jones is good for it!
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:48 AM   #454
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Forums busy today saying Morris has been canned and announcement on Mon. Don't know how much faith I would put on these reports. Heard it was a $10M buyout but Jerry Jones is good for it!

Its been announced, Morris is out.

Buyout total for Arkansas head coach Chad Morris
Quote:
After another disappointing effort at home against Western Kentucky on Saturday, the Arkansas Razorbacks have moved on from Chad Morris.

The Razorbacks fired their second-year coach on Sunday amidst another lackluster season in Fayetteville, per Bobby Swofford of CBS5 in Northwest Arkansas. Saturday's abysmal showing against the Hilltoppers brought the pitchforks out on social media and ultimately ended Morris' tenure prematurely.

Morris is owed more than $10 million in buyout money, according to recent buyout figures via USA Today. His current contract with the Razorbacks was supposed to run through the 2023 season.

UPDATE: ESPN is reporting it now.

If I was Gus, I would stay where he is as he's got a good thing going. Gus and the Springdale fiasco ultimately brought down Houston Nutt (after Gus left/got canned) so he may have something to prove. Norvell is doing good-great at Memphis (but so was Morris at SMU). Last I heard Petrino was unemployed, I'd take him over the other 2 (but that ain't going to happen).

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ris-4-18-start
Quote:
Arkansas has fired Chad Morris as its football coach, and tight ends coach/special-teams coordinator Barry Lunney Jr. is expected to finish out the season as the Razorbacks' interim coach, sources told ESPN.
:
Possible successors include Auburn's Gus Malzahn, whom the Hogs targeted when they hired Morris, and Memphis coach Mike Norvell.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-10-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:30 PM   #455
tarcone
Coordinator

Why would Malzahn go there? That isnt even a lateral move.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #456
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I have college football, it is far better to be a big fish in a small pond than another fish in a big pond.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #457
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

Because his job security ain't all that hot where he is atm. He might/ might not be Auburn's coach if he finishes 8-4 with losses to basically every opponent with a pulse after the season opener.

If they lose to both Auburn & Georgia, that'd be the sixth straight season with four losses or more. At this point it's starting to become difficult to ask donors for $ if that's the ceiling and there's no sign of improvement.

edit to add: He's currently the 6th highest paid coach in the country, right now they're decidedly not getting their money's worth. A negotiated deal might be the happiest outcome for all involved.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-10-2019 at 08:23 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:44 PM   #458
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Gus is an AR boy and may want to start fresh with UA and make himself a hometown hero. That's the only reason I can think of.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:21 AM   #459
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Really didn’t like Iowa state going for two. You do that when you are outclassed and they were easily the best team on the field in the second half.

I know I'm super late on this, but I agree. They were perhaps better than 50/50 to win OT the way they were playing vs. the way OU was playing.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #460
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I love him like a brother..but this is pretty hard to defend.

EDIT: Oops Edward beat me to it

Last edited by HomerSimpson98 : 11-11-2019 at 10:31 AM.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:50 PM   #461
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
EDIT: Oops Edward beat me to it

FWIW, here's what one popular board is saying for Razorback HC search ...

Quote:
Napier, Pittman, Davis, Kiffin, Freeze and Leach ... (have expressed interest)

Two coaches we appear interested in are Norvell and Malzahn.

Looks like Kiffin, Norvell, Leach are the fan favorites so far. Malzahn is, by far, the most controversial.

Oh, the de-committing train has begun.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-13-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:29 AM   #462
MrBug708
Head Coach

Scott Frost gets a two year extension
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:27 AM   #463
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Scott Frost gets a two year extension

While I've mildly talked shit about Nebraska (not as bad as tarcone), I believe this is the right move. He should be able to get them back to Bo Pelini level.

And I would not be shocked if he beats Wisconsin today. Just wanted to throw that out there too
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #464
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tua carted off -- hip injury -- ... with a 35-7 lead late in q2.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #465
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Tua carted off -- hip injury -- ... with a 35-7 lead late in q2.

Seeing people on social media throwing shade at Saban for having him in the game. Seems silly to me. Big leads get blown all the time. Lets not act like it was halfway through the 4th quarter, it was the first half. If Clemson is up 35-7 in the first half today does Dabo pull Trevor Lawrence? I doubt it.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:40 PM   #466
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I agree with you. I hate Bama, but feel so bad for the kid. He was helliecoptered back to Tuscaloosa. I imagine it is not a question of this point whether he comes back this year. It is when he can be back next year, and what that means for his draft status.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:21 PM   #467
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Seeing people on social media throwing shade at Saban for having him in the game. Seems silly to me. Big leads get blown all the time. Lets not act like it was halfway through the 4th quarter, it was the first half. If Clemson is up 35-7 in the first half today does Dabo pull Trevor Lawrence? I doubt it.

In fairness to the critics tho, it's 2019 Mississippi State. They weren't gonna score 35 points on Bama if you gave them all their possessions under overtime rules.

There was a better chance of me winning the Heisman than of a miraculous comeback happening.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #468
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
In fairness to the critics tho, it's 2019 Mississippi State. They weren't gonna score 35 points on Bama if you gave them all their possessions under overtime rules.

There was a better chance of me winning the Heisman than of a miraculous comeback happening.

Then why play him at all? He could just as easily be hurt on the first play. Lawrence was in the game last week against NC State in the second half when it was 42-7.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:25 PM   #469
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:28 PM   #470
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Then why play him at all?

Largely the same reason Saban gave for leaving him in for that particular drive: practice.

It's a coin toss on when to play / when to pull, you want players sharp but not at additional risk. The average seems to usually be "after first series of 2nd half" at the HS level, probably more toward the end of the third quarter in college.

I'm not saying in/out was the right or wrong decision regarding Tua ... but it wasn't because there was any concern about a Miss State comeback.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:47 PM   #471
JPhillips
General Manager

Ohio State has been in similar situations a number of times this season and they play starters through the first half. I'm not sure any title contender would sit people before halftime in a conference game.

edit: But I'm wrong if reports are that Saban wanted to take hi out but Tua asked for one more series.

Last edited by JPhillips : 11-16-2019 at 05:04 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:19 PM   #472
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, hindsight is a bitch, but I don't think there's a coach in history who pulls his starters before the start of the second against an in-conference opponent with that score, bottom of the barrel opponent or not. The only thing slightly different in this situation (and maybe why Saban was considering it, if he's telling the truth and not deflecting) is the previous injury, but this one had nothing to do with that anyway. Just bad luck.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:27 PM   #473
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Watching the Minnesota /Iowa game. Is 80% of the Minnesota roster a captain?
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:28 PM   #474
tarcone
Coordinator

Need captains to row boats I guess.

Minny could not handle the pressure and folds. Iowa plays exciting football in the 1st half and KF ball in the 2nd.

Another pretender goes down

Old 11-16-2019, 09:06 PM   #475
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Need captains to row boats I guess.

Minny could not handle the pressure and folds. Iowa plays exciting football in the 1st half and KF ball in the 2nd.

Another pretender goes down

Yeah. That pretender lasted 6-7 more weeks than the pretender it lost to though.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:10 PM   #476
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

In a year where it's hard to say much nice / good about Ole Miss, I'll give 'em credit: they showed up tonight.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:44 PM   #477
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post

same injury that ended Bo Jackson's career
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:58 AM   #478
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
same injury that ended Bo Jackson's career

Didn't realize that. Bo Jackson - what could've been ...
Old 11-17-2019, 08:53 AM   #479
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

How about those Mizzou Tigers! 5-5 on the season so far, goodness.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:15 PM   #480
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Yeah. That pretender lasted 6-7 more weeks than the pretender it lost to though.

Yeah, Michigan really crapped the bed again.

Old 11-19-2019, 03:15 AM   #481
RendeR
Coordinator

I find it hilarious that The Buckeye's QB isn't literally the only player being considered for the Heisman.

He's played barely more than a half PER GAME and his stats are as good or better than the other. If he even played 3 full quarters all season this discussion would be over.

Fricking hysterical.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #482
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I find it hilarious that The Buckeye's QB isn't literally the only player being considered for the Heisman.

He's played barely more than a half PER GAME and his stats are as good or better than the other. If he even played 3 full quarters all season this discussion would be over.

Fricking hysterical.

Sort of agree. I think Fields should be the front runner and being talked about more than he is however I think Burrow needs to be in the discussion. These next three weeks for Fields will decide the Heisman. I think Fields can fall pretty fast where as I think Burrow is sitting solidly at the top spot pending how Fields plays coming up.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-19-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:34 AM   #483
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Fricking hysterical.

Fields is the second favorite to win it. To win the Heisman you need a moment. Going in to Alabama and bitch slapping them is going to be tough to beat. Burrow also put up 300 yards and 3 TDs against Florida and over 300 yards against Auburn.

In Fields 2 toughest games, MSU and Wisconsin, Fields wasn't really great. Illinois QB put up better numbers against MSU than Fields did. You really don't deserve a lot of credit for hanging huge numbers on the Miamis and Rutgers of the world.

Fields is having a nice year, but Burrow is far and away more deserving.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:48 AM   #484
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Fricking hysterical.

The thing is none of the top QBs play much.
Quick stat compare between Burrows, Fields and Lawrence

Pass Attempts
Fields - 230
Burrows - 341
Lawrence - 279

Rushes
Fields - 84
Burrows - 75
Lawrence - 63

Yards Passing
Fields - 2164
Burrows - 3687
Lawrence - 2575

I'll dig into some stats more later and see if I can track down snap count and % of team snaps played. I think that would be an interesting metric.

One thing that jumps out there is reps against FCS/lower tier competition.
Lawrence against Charlotte (9 att) Wofford (16 att)
Fields FAU (25 att) Miami (21 ATT)
Burrows GaSo (27 ATT) Ut State (38 att)

Against this same comp Burrows has 10Tds, Fields 8Tds, Lawrence 5Tds

So its does make you wonder for the Heisman talk if Fields and Lawrence should have been allowed to throw a few more garbage TDs against cupcakes.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:53 PM   #485
tarcone
Coordinator

You put rushes but not rushing yards. How do those flesh out?

Old 11-21-2019, 09:25 PM   #486
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

NC State playing GT like they want a new coach.

I don't think they'll get one until the middle/late part of next season but, damn, talk about looking bad.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:06 PM   #487
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You put rushes but not rushing yards. How do those flesh out?

I put rushes to try and illustrate play numbers but that ignores handoffs so its a flawed apporoach.

But
Lawrence - 317 (5.0 ypc)
Fields - 377 (4.5)
Burrow - 215 (2.9)
Old 11-23-2019, 09:26 AM   #488
Edward64
Head Coach

Not looking forward to the LSU slaughter tonight but I am looking forward to see how the Razorbacks respond in first game back after Morris' firing. Interim coach is former Razorback QB so hoping they play their hearts out, put up a decent showing, and beat the odds at 44.5.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:28 AM   #489
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Not looking forward to the LSU slaughter tonight but I am looking forward to see how the Razorbacks respond in first game back after Morris' firing. Interim coach is former Razorback QB so hoping they play their hearts out, put up a decent showing, and beat the odds at 44.5.

I believe I saw it is the biggest spread in SEC conference play history.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:07 PM   #490
Atocep
Coordinator

Jarrett Doege for Heisman!
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:06 PM   #491
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I believe I saw it is the biggest spread in SEC conference play history.

Didn't know that.

The one hope is that LSU tends to choke more than AL so we may beat the odds ... nah, more likely they put in their 2nd team in the 3Q or 4Q.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:11 PM   #492
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm not willing to hear any arguments for Heisman other than Joe Burrow and Chase Young.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:08 PM   #493
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm not willing to hear any arguments for Heisman other than Joe Burrow and Chase Young.

Meanwhile Travis Ettiene has the highest ypc in ncaa history (Min 300 carries)...and no one talks about him.
He also leads the nation in broken tackles and yards after contact.

/bias homer fan

Last edited by CU Tiger : 11-23-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:12 PM   #494
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If there's a team that benefits from more uncalled penalties than UGAg, I'd fucking hate to see 'em.

I don't even think they're paying off the refs, I think the state of officiating is simply that fucking shitty these days.

The SEC appears to be hiring Pac12 rejects at this point, they're fucking awful week in, week out, every fucking game.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:55 PM   #495
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Meanwhile Travis Ettiene has the highest ypc in ncaa history (Min 300 carries)...and no one talks about him.
He also leads the nation in broken tackles and yards after contact.

/bias homer fan

He only averaged 3.3 ypc against the one ranked team they have played.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:17 PM   #496
Edward64
Head Coach

Yeah baby. Razorbacks going to beat the line!
Old 11-23-2019, 11:07 PM   #497
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What a season for Mizzou! They suck on all fronts, offense, defense and coaching.

Hopefully Arkansas beats us too, then we can have a nice 6 game losing streak.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:21 AM   #498
Edward64
Head Coach

Pretty cool.

https://www.si.com/college/2019/11/2...wn-state-video
Quote:
Injured Youngstown State quarterback Nathan Mays could not play in the final game of the season, but his teammates made sure he could still take the field one last time.

With 10 seconds left on the clock against Illinois State, the Penguins took a timeout so Mays could take the final snap of the game. Seniors Myles Douglas and Matt Jones helped support Mays, who was wearing a brace on his left ankle, as he made his way onto the field. After Jones snapped the ball, two other teammates helped Mays take a knee to end the game.

On Nov. 2, Mays suffered a season-ending ankle injury against North Dakota State when he was hit in the backfield. The senior told reporters he dislocated and broke his ankle and his career was over.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:43 AM   #499
Edward64
Head Coach

Yup, sums it up pretty well.

Arkansas Razorbacks vs LSU Tigers - November 23, 2019 Recap | SI.com
Quote:
While LSU won ''The Boot,'' a gold trophy in the shape of the states of Arkansas and Louisiana, the Tigers didn't celebrate with it.

''There was going to be not too much of a celebration to beat Arkansas. They haven't beat anybody in a long time,'' Orgeron said. ''We don't feel like we've accomplished what we want to accomplish yet.''

We played QB4 & QB5 (along with QB2) and they did relatively well all things considered, good experience for them.

FWIW, announcer last night said he thought it was going to be Leach. From reading the boards, Leach would be more welcome than not. Norvell seems to be #1 preference.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:19 AM   #500
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Fricking hysterical.

Another average performance vs. PSU ( by Heisman winning standards). I think we can put this to bed unless Burrow implodes against Texas A and M and Fields goes nuts against Michigan. LSU will play UGA in the SEC title game, but TBH I am not sure that game factors in towards Heisman voting.