Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-11-2010, 10:32 PM   #351
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Just need the kicker to make a mistake one of these times, hopefully this is the time right here baby!

slip on your ass, son.. c'mon, goof it

Last edited by mauchow : 10-11-2010 at 10:32 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #352
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

At least it's looking like a football game again instead of just a Jets Defense only game.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #353
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
He hasn't been perfect but his receivers and the weather haven't been helping him out. Not like the Vikings offense is showing how easy it is to move the ball in these conditions on the other side.

The last goalline stand was two obvious PI calls in the end zone (one where Sanchez threw the ball inch perfect and the receiver got hooked a little and gave up on the route) and then what I think was a pretty good pass to Keller which would probably have been caught in better conditions. And Keller just dropped another one right on the numbers on third and short inside the 20.

Sanchez isn't great (yet) and hasn't played as well as his numbers would suggest, but I don't think tonight is 100% his fault. Even the best offenses in the league would be struggling out there.

Well, Brett got his head out of his ass and just made about four perfect throws on third and long, so the conditions can't be so disastrous that it's impossible to complete a ten yard out.

Sanchez just got help from yet more teammates. He needs to find a way to punch this in the end zone here. I don't think I've ever seen a QB talked about so highly during a game he was 14-33. I'm sorry, he's not throwing the ball well at all. As I typed this, Sanchez threw into double coverage (and was lucky the ball wasn't tipped up) and threw a 6 yard out on 3rd and 8.)

Yet another chance wasted. In the second half, Sanchez is 2-6 for 3 yards and one should have been INT.

It may sound like I'm bashing him, but I'm not. I'm just pointing out he's played a poor game. His team will likely win it anyway, but I put the fault of them not scoring a TD squarely on him.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:39 PM   #354
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Do you go for 2 if the Vikes score.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:40 PM   #355
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Do you go for 2 if the Vikes score.

Yes.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:41 PM   #356
TroyF
Coordinator

Boom goes the dynamite.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #357
TroyF
Coordinator

I would kick it here. If the Jets score a TD and kick the extra point, you still have the chance to score a TD and go for two to tie. You miss here and a Jets TD ends the game.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #358
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Once Moss stopped playing ib New England, he lost his immunity to offensive pass interference calls.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #359
TroyF
Coordinator

Oh, and the Jets D is brutal on short yardage plays. I wouldn't take a chance on going for it.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #360
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

a timeout before an extra point? is chilly taking lessons from wandstead?
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:44 PM   #361
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I'm not the biggest Gregg Easterbrook fan, but he has a point here - Rex Ryan, stop sending blitzes that clear out one entire side on 3rd and 10+
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #362
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
a timeout before an extra point? is chilly taking lessons from wandstead?

Yup. Idiotic. And you make the wrong decision to boot.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #363
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I would kick it here. If the Jets score a TD and kick the extra point, you still have the chance to score a TD and go for two to tie. You miss here and a Jets TD ends the game.

They still have to get a 2 regardless. It would have been laughable if they kicked an XP here.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #364
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
This attitude makes no sense - you still have to make a 2-pt conversion at some point, and now you'll know whether you're one or two scores down before that possession.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #365
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I'm not the biggest Gregg Easterbrook fan, but he has a point here - Rex Ryan, stop sending blitzes that clear out one entire side on 3rd and 10+

Do you change your identity though? I mean, it took perfect throws on both third downs to beat em. I'm not saying you don't change, but the way the Jets play is pretty consistent.

By the way, the throw Sanchez made on first down was his best of the night.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #366
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kicking an XP is idiotic Troy. They've tried to give the Jets 5 TDs already.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #367
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Kicking an XP is idiotic Troy. They've tried to give the Jets 5 TDs already.

I just don't like it. the way you are moving the ball, you'll get at least a FG. You miss the two and the Jets drive it down here, you lose the game.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #368
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Yeah it's official. Sanchez is really playing a shitty game.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #369
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

The Vikings made the right call going for two; no other choice in my opinion. None. You're still within field goal range to win so make the defense actually step it up and stop them before getting into field goal range and win that way.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:57 PM   #370
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

im a huge fan of taking the xtra point, but going for 2 there was the right call
Old 10-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #371
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Man, sometimes Favre just needs to take a little bit off of it.

Missed again on a wide open slant.

Last edited by mauchow : 10-11-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:01 PM   #372
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I just don't like it. the way you are moving the ball, you'll get at least a FG. You miss the two and the Jets drive it down here, you lose the game.
The only scenarios where 1/2 XP's help you is if the Jets kick 2 additional FG's (unlikely), the Jets miss an XP (very unlikely) or a safety either way. Your line of thinking seems to be that if the Jets drive down and score a TD you're better off being down 22-14 than 22-13. It looks that way on the surface, it prolongs the amount of time you are potentially within 1 score, but you still have to make that 2-pt conversion. Now if the Jets get that TD to go 22-13 you know you're down 2 scores and can adjust your playcalling and tempo accordingly. And all that assumes both teams score again - I know the Vikings looked good for 2 possessions there, but there's a pretty good chance neither team adds more than a FG for the rest of the game.
Quote:
Do you change your identity though? I mean, it took perfect throws on both third downs to beat em. I'm not saying you don't change, but the way the Jets play is pretty consistent.
You adjust to the game conditions.
Quote:
By the way, the throw Sanchez made on first down was his best of the night.
You didn't like the bullet at a 2-yd away Braylon Edwards sprinting back across the line of scrimmage?
Old 10-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #373
TroyF
Coordinator

I think the Vikings may have just missed their best chance to win the game there. Moss has a step and is underthrown then Harvin missed twice where he was wide open. Vikings called the right plays, read the blitz correctly and didn't execute the play. Tough to win on the road when you do that.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:04 PM   #374
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think the Vikings may have just missed their best chance to win the game there. Moss has a step and is underthrown then Harvin missed twice where he was wide open. Vikings called the right plays, read the blitz correctly and didn't execute the play. Tough to win on the road when you do that.

Yup Favre missed the two slants.. the deep one to Moss is still less than a 50% shot, so can't really do anything about that.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #375
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

well obviously they should have taken the xtra point now
Old 10-11-2010, 11:06 PM   #376
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

That drive was beautiful. Championship teams make that drive to put a team away late.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #377
TroyF
Coordinator

If you kick the extra point, you still have a chance in this game. Now you have to have two scores within 4 and a half minutes. I think going for two was done far too early there. Yes, you need the two at some point. But missing early means the game is close to over late.

Sanchez had a decent last drive, but really this was about what it's been all night. By the way, Holding on Williams on the last run. The guy had him on the outside of the pads. Easy, obvious call missed.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:08 PM   #378
TroyF
Coordinator

Hey, at least Jaws agrees with me.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:10 PM   #379
TroyF
Coordinator

How can you miss that PI call? I mean, seriously. It was obvious in live action, it was obvious on the replay. That's just a horrible job of officiating there.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:10 PM   #380
cmp
Pro Rookie

Pass Interference????
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #381
TroyF
Coordinator

Incredible catch. Incredible throw. That was an amazing play.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #382
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post
Pass Interference????

Yeah, on the TE over the middle. It was obvious to everyone in the stadium, those watching on TV, the announcers and THEN they showed the replay where he was hit early. It was an obvious call and one that should be made by an NFL ref.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #383
TroyF
Coordinator

If I'm the Jets, I call a rollout pass here on second down. Vikings are going to be gunning for the run. Third and long is not something you want Sanchez doing. I think you call a pass right here, right now.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:17 PM   #384
TroyF
Coordinator

And the completion. As an aside, if the first down running play gets under 3 yards, I throw on second down again. There is still plenty of time, even with no timeouts. The two minute warning will stop the clock anyway. Throw the ball here.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #385
cmp
Pro Rookie

Wow, stupid play.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #386
Ironhead
College Prospect

Some clock management blunders here.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #387
cmp
Pro Rookie

Is Les Miles coaching?
Old 10-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #388
TroyF
Coordinator

Sanchez makes two horrific throws there. Beyond horrible. Both high, both to wide open WR. Either one ends the game.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #389
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Unreal. Pretty much a given Favre gets them in FG range?
Old 10-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #390
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
If you kick the extra point, you still have a chance in this game. Now you have to have two scores within 4 and a half minutes. I think going for two was done far too early there. Yes, you need the two at some point. But missing early means the game is close to over late.
This isn't a complicated concept. We assume that Minnesota runs the same play/has the same result on the 2-pt conversion whether they attempt it with 10 minutes left or 2 minutes left. Knowing that they missed it and were down 2 scores allowed them to increase their tempo on that last drive and score with more time than they otherwise would have if they were down 8 and theoretically "1" score down (EDIT - and now get the ball back for a potential game winning FG with time left). Yes, the XP crowd makes sense early when different scoring combinations can still occur, but the entire line of thinking behind not going for 2 tonight at 15-13 relies on the outcome of the 2-pt conversion being different if they had waited until later in the game. That makes no logical sense, and it would have only increased the amount of time the Vikings appeared to be within one score, rather than their chance to win.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #391
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post
Is Les Miles coaching?

LMAO!
Old 10-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #392
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

throwing on 2nd down was smart cause the 2 min warning would stop the clock. not snaping the ball till the last second was the stupid thing. snapped to early and threw to fast
Old 10-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #393
TroyF
Coordinator

By the way, when I said throw the ball on second down, it needed to be a rollout that took it to the two minute warning, not a slant pass that uses two seconds off of the clock. Still, the play was there, the QB made a poor throw.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #394
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post
Unreal. Pretty much a given Favre gets them in FG range?

Yep, just like the NFC Championship game......

Fuck..

Lets go Favre, we need this win with Dallas, GB and Patriots coming up in the next three games.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:21 PM   #395
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

I bet we see a pass interference soon...
Old 10-11-2010, 11:23 PM   #396
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

knowing Favre, and INT
Old 10-11-2010, 11:23 PM   #397
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
This isn't a complicated concept. We assume that Minnesota runs the same play/has the same result on the 2-pt conversion whether they attempt it with 10 minutes left or 2 minutes left. Knowing that they missed it and were down 2 scores allowed them to increase their tempo on that last drive and score with more time than they otherwise would have if they were down 8 and theoretically "1" score down (EDIT - and now get the ball back for a potential game winning FG with time left). Yes, the XP crowd makes sense early when different scoring combinations can still occur, but the entire line of thinking behind not going for 2 tonight at 15-13 relies on the outcome of the 2-pt conversion being different if they had waited until later in the game. That makes no logical sense, and it would have only increased the amount of time the Vikings appeared to be within one score, rather than their chance to win.

It isn't complicated. If you are down 8, you still go up tempo, just in case the two point conversion farils.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:24 PM   #398
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Rexxy is crazy.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:25 PM   #399
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

god i knew it
Old 10-11-2010, 11:25 PM   #400