Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2024, 07:23 AM   #2401
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Maybe it is because my final memory of the Saints' season is our coach getting pantsed by Jameis Winston, but I'm kind of jealous of the Falcons getting a leader-of-men type coach.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 01:43 PM   #2402
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
How is he safe? He bombed in Tampa and was 4-7 as Falcons interim. I mean, I'm glad finally coaches of color get to be failed retreads like the white guys, but he still is not safe or exciting.

Nor is he the right guy ... but maybe there isn't one as long as Blank owns the team.

Moving McKay out of football decisions is probably a step in the right direction but I dunno if it's gonna be enough.
Old 01-26-2024, 01:51 PM   #2403
RainMaker
General Manager

Nothing against Morris but if the Falcons are drafting a QB, they should have gone with an offensive minded coach. Either the Texans or Lions OC would have been great fits.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 02:01 PM   #2404
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I am not sure I agree with the final choice but I can't really argue with this thought process if it is true. The Vrabel piece is just weird. From the outside, it looked and sounded like Smith's handling of the offense and offensive pieces was the main reason for his firing. Why would Vrabel think he could bring that guy back into the building as an OC for next season?
Vrabel had his best years at Tennessee with Smith as OC. Smith's his guy, and he is trying to get him a redemption arc. I think that coming out at the time of his inerview with the Falcons was a sign that neither side thought Vrabel was a good fit.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 03:59 PM   #2405
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Is there something more to this rooney rule that I'm missing? Is there like an incentive for hiring a minority as HC? Like more cash or draft picks?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 04:05 PM   #2406
GrantDawg

If a minority hire comes from your staff, you get compensatory picks. Like the Rams are getting two compensatory 3rd rounders (one this year, one next) for the Falcons signing Morris as head coach. The picks are based on the job the coach is hired.
Note, these are added picks. They don't come from the signing team.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2024, 04:09 PM   #2407
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

That's almost like a disincentive to hiring a minority candidate for a major position. Why would I hire a minority candidate if my rival is going to get free draft picks.

But it does give an incentive to hire a minority candidate to a lower position. That way if another team poaches my staff then I'll be getting some compensation out of it.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 01-26-2024 at 04:10 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 05:19 PM   #2408
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I assume the NFL figures, which I think is correct, that rewarding teams for elevating minorities to positions of prominence- like offensive or defensive coordinator or assistant GM or the like - outweighs any disincentive that could come with another team not wanting to hire a proven minority candidate because it would give the original team a 3rd round pick.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 08:50 PM   #2409
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Nothing against Morris but if the Falcons are drafting a QB, they should have gone with an offensive minded coach. Either the Texans or Lions OC would have been great fits.

Worked out ok for the Texans. If they can get a young bright OC it'll be fine.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 09:05 PM   #2410
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Why? The Texans didn't. But the Colts and the Panthers did.

In other words, who knows.

Ben Johnson, Bill Belichick and Mike Vrabel were considered guarantees to be being NFL head coaches next season just a couple of weeks ago. John Schneider supposedly has been assured he has final say on personnel decisions. The Commanders just hired a hot shot GM. Unless Belichick gives up on having final say on personnel decisions, he may be the odd man out.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 09:46 PM   #2411
RainMaker
General Manager

For me, if the offensive coordinator you hire turns out to be great, you'll lose him in a year. If you hire an offensive coordinator as your head coach, you keep him and have stability on that side of the ball.

I think it's far easier to replace defensive coordinators than offensive coordinators. And I think you want as much continuity as possible with a young QB.

I know different ways work, but if I had a choice, I'd go with a great OC over a good DC.
Old 01-26-2024, 10:45 PM   #2412
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
For me, if the offensive coordinator you hire turns out to be great, you'll lose him in a year. If you hire an offensive coordinator as your head coach, you keep him and have stability on that side of the ball.

I think it's far easier to replace defensive coordinators than offensive coordinators. And I think you want as much continuity as possible with a young QB.

I know different ways work, but if I had a choice, I'd go with a great OC over a good DC.

You wouldn't happen to be on The Score in Chicago, would you?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 08:42 AM   #2413
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

I get the theory, I just don't see a great deal of evidence that supports it.

My impression is too many OC's who become HC's just want to sit in the HC office while doing the OC job. A few just want to draw up and call plays. Do they have time to develop that young QB or is that going to be left to the official OC or QB coach? Do they have time to help mesh that young QB with the rest of the offense? Oh and are they ever going to show their face on the defensive side of the house. I know it is a cliche but I do believe that being a HC requires a different skillset from just being a OC or DC. My perception is DC's who become HC's are less likely to just lock in on their side of the ball than OC's who become HC's.

I may be misremembering but wasn't Sean McVay essentially an OC his first couple of years with the Rams? Didn't he just turn the defense over to his DC and special teams to the special teams coordinator and just focused on everything with the offense? I don't mean that as a criticism either. If the new HC just wants to be the OC to get his ideas in place and/or while he gets fully adjusted to the HC, that is fine. I just don't see a lot of new coaches ready to do that.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 09:32 AM   #2414
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Zach Taylor has been the opposite of what I expected. He hasn't been great as a hotshot offensive mind and losing Callahan might really hurt the offense. He has though been great at the head coaching aspects. He hires well, coaches and players love the environment, he's exceeded even what Marvin Lewis was able to do in terms of getting Mike Brown to modernize, and he's good with the fans and the media.

He's had more success than any previous Bengals coach, yeah I know the bar is pretty low, but I don't think that's because he was previously an offensive coach.
Old 01-27-2024, 09:42 AM   #2415
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I get the theory, I just don't see a great deal of evidence that supports it.

My impression is too many OC's who become HC's just want to sit in the HC office while doing the OC job. A few just want to draw up and call plays. Do they have time to develop that young QB or is that going to be left to the official OC or QB coach? Do they have time to help mesh that young QB with the rest of the offense? Oh and are they ever going to show their face on the defensive side of the house. I know it is a cliche but I do believe that being a HC requires a different skillset from just being a OC or DC. My perception is DC's who become HC's are less likely to just lock in on their side of the ball than OC's who become HC's.

I may be misremembering but wasn't Sean McVay essentially an OC his first couple of years with the Rams? Didn't he just turn the defense over to his DC and special teams to the special teams coordinator and just focused on everything with the offense? I don't mean that as a criticism either. If the new HC just wants to be the OC to get his ideas in place and/or while he gets fully adjusted to the HC, that is fine. I just don't see a lot of new coaches ready to do that.
I keep hearing that mantra over and over. "You have to hire a hot young OC." "You have to have a coach that calls plays." It is just the new fad. When the Falcons hired Smith and Quinn, the fad was defensive coaches because all the great coaches were from the defensive side of the ball. The Sean McVay and Shanahan came in and had immediate success, now everyone wants the same cookie-cutter process.

The NFL is such a cookie-cutter league. If anyone has success doing something, then fans will clamor their team has to do it the same way. The answer most Falcons fans are giving is "He is our Dan Campbell!" Everyone made fun of that hire, but they aren't anymore. Meanwhile that same year the Falcons almost hired Raheem Morris foir their open position, but instead they followed the fad and hired the hottest OC on the market in Arthur Smith. How did that turn out?

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-27-2024 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-27-2024, 10:42 AM   #2416
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I keep hearing that mantra over and over. "You have to hire a hot young OC." "You have to have a coach that calls plays." It is just the new fad. When the Falcons hired Smith and Quinn, the fad was defensive coaches because all the great coaches were from the defensive side of the ball. The Sean McVay and Shanahan came in and had immediate success, now everyone wants the same cookie-cutter process.

The NFL is such a cookie-cutter league. If anyone has success doing something, then fans will clamor their team has to do it the same way. The answer most Falcons fans are giving is "He is our Dan Campbell!" Everyone made fun of that hire, but they aren't anymore. Meanwhile that same year the Falcons almost hired Raheem Morris foir their open position, but instead they followed the fad and hired the hottest OC on the market in Arthur Smith. How did that turn out?

This..

As a Rams fan my thought on hiring McVey was pretty much "ok, I guess?".
Turns out he is a great coach and my Rams getting him was kind of like hitting the lottery. If ownership or the GM were to tell me they didn't get lucky but rather "they knew" when they hired him? I'd tell them they were full of shit.

Sorry that's a little harsh. Perhaps "good job, but you're full of shit" would be better
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 11:01 AM   #2417
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The answer most Falcons fans are giving is "He is our Dan Campbell!"

We apparently know different Falcons fans.

The ones I know are in the "Blank needs to sell this team, he doesn't have a fucking clue what he's doing, obviously no coach worth a damn was willing to work for him"
Old 01-27-2024, 11:21 AM   #2418
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah that kind of thing never works. Detroit wanted the same thing for decades under William Clay Ford. Even when 'good' coaches did come. You don't get rid of a merely bad owner unless they want out.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 11:22 AM   #2419
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
This..

As a Rams fan my thought on hiring McVey was pretty much "ok, I guess?".
Turns out he is a great coach and my Rams getting him was kind of like hitting the lottery. If ownership or the GM were to tell me they didn't get lucky but rather "they knew" when they hired him? I'd tell them they were full of shit.

Sorry that's a little harsh. Perhaps "good job, but you're full of shit" would be better

This is how I feel about Zach Taylor. The Bengals weren't swimming in the deep end and got a guy who roughly fit what they were looking for and who was willing to come to Cincy. Turns out he's not an offensive wizard, but he is a pretty good HC.
Old 01-27-2024, 11:24 AM   #2420
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
We apparently know different Falcons fans.

The ones I know are in the "Blank needs to sell this team, he doesn't have a fucking clue what he's doing, obviously no coach worth a damn was willing to work for him"
The supporters say he is the next Dan Campbell. The haters say what you said.
Old 01-27-2024, 12:53 PM   #2421
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
The supporters say he is the next Dan Campbell. The haters say what you said.

Sorry but thats already Antonio Pierce.
Old 01-27-2024, 01:11 PM   #2422
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

One of my pet peeves is the whole 'next so-and-so' stuff. Nobody has ever been that. Every coach/player/etc. is unique.
Old 01-27-2024, 02:59 PM   #2423
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, I am really liking the Home teams this weekend. It looks like you can get +800 or so by teasing up the point spread on both into a parlay… Ravens -13 1/2, 49ers -12 1/half, something like that. I think both Roe teams are good, but suffer specific matchup problems against these exact opponents, and I think we could have a boring Sunday of football.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 03:10 PM   #2424
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
One of my pet peeves is the whole 'next so-and-so' stuff. Nobody has ever been that. Every coach/player/etc. is unique.

Yes, i was being sarcastic as the same has been said about Pierce in the Raiders circles.
Old 01-27-2024, 09:55 PM   #2425
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
So, I am really liking the Home teams this weekend. It looks like you can get +800 or so by teasing up the point spread on both into a parlay… Ravens -13 1/2, 49ers -12 1/half, something like that. I think both Roe teams are good, but suffer specific matchup problems against these exact opponents, and I think we could have a boring Sunday of football.

Yeah. I can really only speak on the Lions/49ers game, but the only advantage the Lions have on the 49ers is the Lions run game versus the 49ers run defense.

The Lions and Goff thrive passing between the hash marks and that’s exactly where the 49ers are best at defending against the pass.

On offense everything the 49ers are good at is exactly where the Lions are terrible. It could be a huge mismatch. The Lions only hope on that side of the ball is Aidan Hutchinson having the game of his life and splash plays/turnovers, but the Niners are great against the blitz.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-27-2024, 10:13 PM   #2426
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

So I can't be the next Brian Schwartz?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 10:29 PM   #2427
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Just got home from a Red Wings game. #HockeyBoy

The atmosphere there was awesome. At multiple times during the game the crowd broke into “Jared Goff!” chants. A ton of people wearing Lions jerseys in the crowd, former Lions FB Cory Schlesinger opened the game by blowing the goal horn… Even if this ride ends tomorrow, it’s been a lot of fun around here.
Old 01-28-2024, 11:58 AM   #2428
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ravens 24, Chiefs 20
Lions 27, 49ers 24
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 12:12 PM   #2429
Thomkal
Head Coach

pulling for lions and ravens today and that neither game is a blow out over at halftime. And no major injuries.
Old 01-28-2024, 12:36 PM   #2430
Schmidty
Coordinator

It feels strange. I love the Lions so much, but I’m very calm. It isn’t that I’m satisfied with where they’re at. I think it’s because, for the first time in my life, this truly is just the beginning. They’ll be competitive for a long time.
Old 01-28-2024, 12:53 PM   #2431
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Not that SAS saying dumb things is new, but I get a kick out of him saying he would never trust Goff again, the Lions are the most fraudulent team (a dumb catchphrase that isn't even sensible), etc after they got crushed by the Ravens earlier in the year.

Now? He's picking them to upset the 49ers, because of course he is. I know those shows are just wind-up acts, but it still cracks me up. Whoever writes the scripts for them should at least try a modicum of consistency.
Old 01-28-2024, 01:44 PM   #2432
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Brock Purdy gets knocked out of the game in the 1st quarter and the Lions win 24-10.

The Ravens defense has a field day with KC while Lamar baits the KC defense into too-aggressive decisions, Ravens win 35-14.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 01:49 PM   #2433
Edward64
Head Coach

3 Hogs with Detroit. 2 with San Francisco. None in Kansas or Baltimore.

So, I'll be happy with either Detroit or SF winning it all.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 02:26 PM   #2434
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

This game might be an all-timer. It has that feeling in the first quarter.
Old 01-28-2024, 02:59 PM   #2435
GrantDawg

It was a mistake not to challenge the Kelce spot.
Old 01-28-2024, 03:00 PM   #2436
GrantDawg

Old 01-28-2024, 03:10 PM   #2437
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
It was a mistake not to challenge the Kelce spot.

Or not as it turned out (TBF I thought they should have done too at the time)
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 03:48 PM   #2438
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The Chiefs might have a little of that late career Tim Duncan Spurs in them. Just make it to the playoffs and figure it out then.
Old 01-28-2024, 03:59 PM   #2439
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

A KC TD here and the Ravens might be cooked.
Old 01-28-2024, 04:02 PM   #2440
bhlloy
Coordinator

For how good the Ravens defense is, they sure look like they have never seen a TE before.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 04:13 PM   #2441
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

And an offense that doesn’t look like it’s ever seen a blitz before
Old 01-28-2024, 04:14 PM   #2442
GrantDawg

They are shutting Lamar down in a way I didn't expect.
Old 01-28-2024, 04:19 PM   #2443
bhlloy
Coordinator

Utterly bizarre offensive game plan too. Just decided to go completely away from the run because… reasons?
Old 01-28-2024, 04:25 PM   #2444
RainMaker
General Manager

Feels like the league wants Taylor Swift at the Super Bowl. I've seen about 10 plays that were worse taunting in this game.
Old 01-28-2024, 04:28 PM   #2445
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Wow, Flowers deserved that for being a douche.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 04:29 PM   #2446
GrantDawg

Wow. Heartbreaking turnover.
Old 01-28-2024, 04:30 PM   #2447
bhlloy
Coordinator

I wonder at what point they start coaching not diving at the goalline. So many fumbles and the chance of scoring on first and inches is so high, you’d have thought there will be analytics departments looking at it this offseason.
Old 01-28-2024, 04:32 PM   #2448
Danny
Head Coach

Ravens with a total of 5 rushes from their running backs into the fourth quarter
Old 01-28-2024, 04:34 PM   #2449
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

That was helmet to helmet on a QB, of course that's a penalty.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 04:34 PM   #2450
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I wonder at what point they start coaching not diving at the goalline. So many fumbles and the chance of scoring on first and inches is so high, you’d have thought there will be analytics departments looking at it this offseason.

Belichick has been teaching that for years.

thespun.com