Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-28-2005, 11:17 PM   #1
Easy Mac

Jeremy Roenick

So I just saw Roenick's comments on ESPN... don't worry Jeremy, I'll follow your advise and not worry about watching hockey... I won't be upset.

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:21 PM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

Yup. He just told me to stay home too
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:25 PM   #3
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I had typed out a pretty long thing here before I realized that I'd lost track of the hockey fans on this board. So, instead of the piece that I had to say, I guess I just have one question:

Would you have watched hockey anyway?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:27 PM   #4
MrBug708
Head Coach

I followed it enough to call myself a casual fan. Dont own any hockey gear other then a Duck hat and a Kings Hat. But I knew the players and such.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:28 PM   #5
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I think he's a little rich whinner who has nothing better to do with his time.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:34 PM   #6
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm a casual fan of the NHL. Specifically, I'm a Flyer fan. Roenick has pissed me off and might be the final straw in my not following the NHL when it eventually returns.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-28-2005 at 11:38 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:40 PM   #7
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Rather than posting what I had originally intended to say, I'll just say that I am a big NHL fan and will enjoy it as much as ever when it comes back. I don't necessarily disagree with what Roenick had to say (I think it's important to know what question or comment led to his remarks), but even so, it's just Jeremy Roenick. He's not exactly the sharpest pencil in the drawer. Why are fans all over the continent getting riled up over him?

Go Devils!
Old 06-28-2005, 11:57 PM   #8
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

I'm a casual fan of the United States. Specifically, I'm a Minnesota fan. Bush has pissed me off and might be the final straw in my not following the United States when it eventually returns.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:09 AM   #9
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
I'm a casual fan of the United States. Specifically, I'm a Minnesota fan. Bush has pissed me off and might be the final straw in my not following the United States when it eventually returns.

Hopefully you have more balls then Alec Baldwin has...
Old 06-29-2005, 12:11 AM   #10
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Rather than posting what I had originally intended to say, I'll just say that I am a big NHL fan and will enjoy it as much as ever when it comes back. I don't necessarily disagree with what Roenick had to say (I think it's important to know what question or comment led to his remarks), but even so, it's just Jeremy Roenick. He's not exactly the sharpest pencil in the drawer. Why are fans all over the continent getting riled up over him?

Go Devils!

Because he called the fans out for something that they had nothing to do with. I didn't make the NHL go on strike. The players, the agents, and the owners did that.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:29 AM   #11
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Eh, Roenick is Roenick. He's always been prone to get a bit emotional at times and say stupid stuff. He's bitter. He's angry. Nobody's perfect.

GAME ON!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:30 AM   #12
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

HEH!!!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-29-2005, 04:56 AM   #13
Danny
Head Coach

The media picks out 20 seconds in a long interview and doesn't even show or report the question he was answering. If I am going to boycott anyone it would be the media.

And I dont like Roenick, but this style of reporting is the suck.

Last edited by Danny : 06-29-2005 at 05:22 AM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:00 AM   #14
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Roenick was on the 3 o'clock SportsCenter and complained about that fact (the media taking a snippet and also not including the question asked)
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:20 AM   #15
JeffR
High School JV

ESPN may have focused on that 'kiss my ass' line, but the initial spin on the story up here was moderately positive towards his comments about the players having screwed up by not taking the NHL's February offer. And then people started noticing that throwaway line at the end - I read a fairly long sportsnet.ca story on all of the comments before seeing anything on TV, and that line jumped out me without anybody pointing me to it. It was just a stupid, stupid thing to say when fan patience with the players evaporated long ago. And Roenick's supposed to be one of the leading pro-settlement guys in the union; it makes you wonder what the opinion of the hardliners is towards the fans.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:00 AM   #16
Samdari
Roster Filler

I agree with Jeff. Dan Patrick played the entire interview yesterday, and the 75% of it that did not make national headlines, he was appropriately contrite about the missed year, and even came really close to saying that the players were wrong.Then someone asked the wrong question, and BAM, out comes the bile, and the incredibly misguided part about encouraging players to stay away.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:24 AM   #17
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

None of this crap is going to sway me one way or the other, in any sport. When there is labor unrest and games/seasons are canceled, I'll be unhappy and but manage to go on living; and when they return, I'll watch. Very simple.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:11 AM   #18
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I'm frustrated with the players, and I think Roenick is a whiney primadonna, so I'd love to be able to rip him here. But this is a non-story. From the full interview it's extremely clear that he was only talking specifically about a small group of fans. Anyone who wants to spin this as "Roenick just told all the fans to kiss his ass" is either a second-rate sportscaster trying to boost their ratings, or just a fan who's actively looking for something to be outraged about. It's a manufactured controversy.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:02 AM   #19
Pacersfan46
H.S. Freshman Team

Right, wrong, whatever ... I think it's clear he sounded like a moron in that interview with Dan Patrick.

I just wish people would quit watching hockey all together. I am not a fan. It takes up time on Sportscenter from the sports I care about.

Last edited by Pacersfan46 : 06-29-2005 at 09:03 AM.
Pacersfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:10 AM   #20
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacersfan46
Right, wrong, whatever ... I think it's clear he sounded like a moron in that interview with Dan Patrick.

I just wish people would quit watching basketball all together. I am not a fan. It takes up time on Sportscenter from the sports I care about.

Fixed that for ya.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:43 AM   #21
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I wish people would stop watching Dan Patrick. In my mind, he went from a respected sports anchor to a major asshole. Maybe I only liked Dan Patrick in the past because he seemed to be playing the straight man to Keith Olbermann's egotistical brainiac schtick. I still like Olbermann a lot. Keith Olbermann may act like a self-righteous dick a lot of times, but at least he's up front about it. Dan Patrick seems like he'd smile and wave at your mother as he slides a dagger into your back.

Evidently, Patrick's type of reporting and interviewing is getting people to tune in to SportsCenter and ESPN Radio, but it drove me away. I'm not bitter about it, as I don't mind doing other things with my time, but every time I hear that Dan Patrick has stirred up some more shit, it makes me wish for 10 years ago when he was just the guy who'd crack up every time Keith Olbermann said "Gianluca Pagliuca."
Old 06-29-2005, 11:00 AM   #22
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I wish people would stop watching Dan Patrick. In my mind, he went from a respected sports anchor to a major asshole. Maybe I only liked Dan Patrick in the past because he seemed to be playing the straight man to Keith Olbermann's egotistical brainiac schtick. I still like Olbermann a lot. Keith Olbermann may act like a self-righteous dick a lot of times, but at least he's up front about it.

Off topic, but supposedly Olbermann's joining Patrick on ESPN radio on Fridays. Not sure when it's supposed to start.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:25 PM   #23
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Anyone who wants to spin this as "Roenick just told all the fans to kiss his ass" is either a second-rate sportscaster trying to boost their ratings, or just a fan who's actively looking for something to be outraged about. It's a manufactured controversy.
Welcome to Sportscenter these days (or any news for that matter)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-29-2005 at 12:26 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:35 PM   #24
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I just want them to settle so we can get back to watching the trap and 95% save percentages. It's come to the point where soccer fans make fun of the low scoring in the NHL.
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 06-29-2005 at 12:35 PM.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:24 PM   #25
Rockstar
Mascot

Hockey has gone the way of baseball for me. I quit on baseball in1994, and dont miss that boring game at all. Now hockey can just join the list.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:48 PM   #26
Desnudo
Coordinator

Hockey has been boring me to death since that neutral zone trap was introduced. Throw in a tight-fisted Bruins owner, and I haven't seen a game in years.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:54 PM   #27
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar
Hockey has gone the way of baseball for me. I quit on baseball in1994, and dont miss that boring game at all. Now hockey can just join the list.

By that definition, shouldn't you have given up on football in 1987 and basketball in 1998?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:54 PM   #28
Rockstar
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
By that definition, shouldn't you have given up on football in 1987 and basketball in 1998?

SI
Football is not a boring game. I dont really watch much basketball, and NO NBA basketball. Football is pretty much it for me. Hockey became boring, it wasnt always that way to me. Baseball never was exciting. I would rather be forced to watch Yoko Ono in concert then sit through a baseball game. This has nothing to do with a strike IMO. It has to do with offering a product that people will buy and treating your fans like the customers that they are. Owners locked out the players in Hockey because it was actually cheaper to not play then to play. They overpaid the players to stay competitive and in the process lost a ton of jack.
Oh, and baseball is the worst sport ever invented. Worse then frisbee golf.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:17 PM   #29
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

just saw the footage of that. i don't really care about his apology or what he says were his reasons for saying it were...fact of the matter is that he said. Which is really pretty ridiculous. Why insult any segment of the group that is responsible for paying your salary. Maybe he'd like to get a real 9-5 office job and see how that feels. Fucker.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:24 PM   #30
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

NOOOO ITZ NOT~~~!!!! FOOTBALL SUXXORS 8@$38@LL ROXXORS DOOD! UR TOT@LLY LOSER! LOOZURRRR!!!!
Old 06-29-2005, 05:40 PM   #31
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Football is not a boring game. I dont really watch much basketball, and NO NBA basketball. Football is pretty much it for me. Hockey became boring, it wasnt always that way to me. Baseball never was exciting. I would rather be forced to watch Yoko Ono in concert then sit through a baseball game. This has nothing to do with a strike IMO. It has to do with offering a product that people will buy and treating your fans like the customers that they are. Owners locked out the players in Hockey because it was actually cheaper to not play then to play. They overpaid the players to stay competitive and in the process lost a ton of jack.
It's Football and Nascar for me. But the way things are going in Nascar in terms of rules Im starting to get tuned out. But alas theres The Pepsi 400 this weekend.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:55 PM   #32
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Not enough people share what sports they like and dislike these days. God, it just pisses me off! Makes me want to rip my hair out. I mean I just wish every single person on this board would go through a list of every fucking sport known to mankind and share whether or not they like it. That would really help me get through the day.

Last edited by sovereignstar : 06-29-2005 at 06:57 PM.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:04 PM   #33
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Not enough people share what sports they like and dislike these days. God, it just pisses me off! Makes me want to rip my hair out. I mean I just wish every single person on this board would go through a list of every fucking sport known to mankind and share whether or not they like it. That would really help me get through the day.

Does Pookie need a snuggle?
Old 06-29-2005, 07:08 PM   #34
Rockstar
Mascot

Quote:

OK.
Archery-NO
Curling-NO
Bowhunting-NO
Snowshoeraces-NO
Snowpeeing (accuracy and distance)-YES

Lighten up Francis