Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Which of these do you think should be legal?
Alcohol 127 94.07%
Tobacco 116 85.93%
Caffeine 130 96.30%
Prostitution 116 85.93%
Marijuana 109 80.74%
Almost All Drugs (i.e. crack, heroin, etc.) 26 19.26%
Personal firearms (handguns, etc.) 100 74.07%
Almost all weapons (not nukes and stuff, but things like assault rifles and body armor) 21 15.56%
Trout fishing 83 61.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #51
BYU 14
Coordinator

Just out of curiosity, how does having body armor really level the playing field to keep the government in check when hypothetically they could just call in air strikes and Tanks?

All widespread availability of body armor and other ultra high powered weaponry would do is put the Police at an even greater disadvantage and probably insure a few more widows and orphans every year.

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #52
QuikSand
lolzcat

I went for the whole shebang.

Mentally, I guess I inverted the question, sorta for argument's sake, and re-asked "what things on this list are so essentially harmful for people to have and use that there's a compelling government interest to step in and outlaw not just the bad things we associate with them, but their actual possession and use itself?" And at that level, I found the big weapons and hard drugs to be only modestly difficult to eliminate.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #53
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I like the Canada legality of prostitution.

Which is what exactly? I don't remember it being made legal up here, although I'll be honest I don't exactly scour the newswire for updates on prostitution laws. I do know that my province impounds the vehicles of John's and I believe there is some kind of shame list or something where names are made public.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #54
RainMaker
General Manager

I marked no on hard drugs but I could make exceptions. I think if the drug is used in the privacy of someone's home, I'm fine with it. Basically, if you want to use crack, stay in your fucking house. When you enter public on that stuff, you become a danger to others and should be arrested.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #55
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I marked no on hard drugs but I could make exceptions. I think if the drug is used in the privacy of someone's home, I'm fine with it. Basically, if you want to use crack, stay in your fucking house. When you enter public on that stuff, you become a danger to others and should be arrested.

Hmm, so what happens when all these crack addicts spend their mortgage money on drugs and then have to throw on their body armor, grab an assault rifle and some claymores and take down a bank?
Old 02-10-2010, 11:07 PM   #56
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Just out of curiosity, how does having body armor really level the playing field to keep the government in check when hypothetically they could just call in air strikes and Tanks?

Well, you don't necessarily need to overthrow the U.S. army to cause a lot of change/havoc in this country.

If the U.S. uses air strikes/Tanks on their own people, a people whose "cause" is seen as just by a good portion of the population (both domestically and internationally) - that would definitely shake things up.

Last edited by molson : 02-10-2010 at 11:09 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #57
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Why is it that every informal poll I see trends so highly on approving things like marijuana and prostitution, yet they rarely, if ever, have any traction when brought up for voting?
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #58
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Well, you don't necessarily need to overthrow the U.S. army to cause a lot of change/havoc in this country.

If the U.S. uses air strikes/Tanks on their own people, a people whose "cause" is seen as just by a good portion of the population (both domestically and internationally) - that would definitely shake things up.

That first paragraph was TIC

I did mean the second paragraph though.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:15 AM   #59
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post
Why is it that every informal poll I see trends so highly on approving things like marijuana and prostitution, yet they rarely, if ever, have any traction when brought up for voting?

Because actual polls only show a third of people support legalization. If a politician even suggests it, then he would be killed by negative campaigning for being "soft on crime."
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:20 AM   #60
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Because actual polls only show a third of people support legalization. If a politician even suggests it, then he would be killed by negative campaigning for being "soft on crime."

First of all I agree with you completely on the politicians but I think the medical marijuana voting results are closer to reality though than the "Do you support legalization?" polls. Its just like religion. The polls show a number a lot different than the number of cars in the chruch parking lots. But I do agree that politicians are spineless and all about reelection and not about freedom or at a minimum looking for additional tax revenue when states are laying off workers left and right. Hmmm... a huge additional source of revenue to spend on "jobs" or print a bunch of money to spend on pork project that does nothing but put as more in debt?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #61
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

heh, trout fishing at just over 60%. Who knew we had so many animal rights activists at FOFC.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #62
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I would love to nothing more then to have sex with a drunk prostitute while I am high off weed and red-bull.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #63
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I would love to nothing more then to have sex with a drunk prostitute while I am high off weed and red-bull.

No Guns? You disappoint me.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #64
SportsDino
College Prospect

Quote:

... and then shoot her, chop up her body to do some trout fishing while coked up, and use my grenade launcher on the cops if they give me any guff!

(Just trying to get full coverage here)

-----

As for the poll I voted legalize everything but heavy weapons and hard drugs. The hard drugs are too damaging/mind-altering with limited usage. As for weapons, it really would only encourage radicals to arm up and be able to cause even more damage when they go nutso. I'm all for a check on the government, but supposedly that is what the political process is for. If it gets to the point of military coup we have failed at way too many points along the way to begin with (or been so apathetic and lazy in our politics that we pretty much deserve to be enslaved sheep).
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #65
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I can't believe I voted yes for handguns...damn you Cam!!!

Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #66
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I voted yes for everything but weaponry (sorry I'm too english to be able to be comfortable with guns really).

Emotionally I'm against hard drugs being legalised - especially now I'm a parent, but I know statistically speaking it'd actually be much better for countries to do so really (if you look at most modern coutries where many drugs are legal they have no bigger problems with them than anywhere else - arguably less, the same thing can be found if you look at other prohibited substances such as alcohol etc. around the world).

Legalising them would allow regulation of them (so they'd be safer for people who do take them), remove a certain proportion of crime associated with them and bring in additional tax revenue to the goverment.

I also feel that EDUCATION is the most vital thing for any society to concentrate upon, if people learn enough to make informed decisions then most of them will avoid drugs and suchlike (and to some people making something illicit makes it even more appealing imho - its the 'risk' involved and the chance of being caught).

An interesting insight into the Amsterdam setup can be found here:

AMSTERDAM: FACTS AND FIGURES

(and yeah despite that - if I ever catch my kids taking drugs they'll be impounded in their rooms for the rest of their childhood, home schooling here we come )

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 02-11-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #67
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
(and yeah despite that - if I ever catch my kids taking drugs they'll be impounded in their rooms for the rest of their childhood, home schooling here we come )

I think that it is a very rational position to take. You can believe that something should not be a crime, but that it is still stupid as hell to do. And you can (and should, IMO) in that situation, do what you can to prevent your kids from doing it.

I don't think that unmarried people having unprotected sex should be a crime, but I will do everything in my power to keep my kids from getting pregnant and/or causing someone else to be pregnant until they are old enough to handle having a baby.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #68
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Given that by far more people die from the heavily regulated alcohol than hard drugs, i'm not sure how the case can be made that regulating drugs and prostitution will make it safer.

Last edited by AENeuman : 02-11-2010 at 11:55 AM.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #69
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
A lot of folks also have a disconnect between the concepts of legal/illegal and regulated/unregulated. Just because something that was once illegal is made legal doesn't mean that it is automatically unregulated.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #70
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
No Guns? You disappoint me.

I am not sure if I want any guns around while I am pile-driving a hooker.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #71
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I don't think that unmarried people having unprotected sex should be a crime, but I will do everything in my power to keep my kids from getting pregnant and/or causing someone else to be pregnant until they are old enough to handle having a baby.

I am hoping my daughter has the common decency to wait until I die to have sex.