Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #301
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Mike Zimmer must give the worst interview in the history of the world.

I just don't see him as a head coach. Maybe it's wishful thinking so he'll stay in Cincy.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #302
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Sounds like Mike Sherman to TB is close to being official.

He better be good without say....Brett Favre in his prime playing QB for him, because guess what, we don't have that in Tampa.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #303
Logan
Head Coach

I'm disgusted right now.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #304
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think this is a good move for Schiano and honestly, I thought Rutgers needed a new voice. The infrastructure is in place for someone to take over his spot and I think he watched with happen to Joe Paterno's life, he probably figured it was time to take this kind of plunge.

RU is certainly in a better spot now than when he was there before and with what they're paying (though it's kinda late) they should be able to find someone better than average and perhaps they'll get over the hump now.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #305
miami_fan
Coordinator

That would be interesting.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #306
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I think this is a good move for Schiano and honestly, I thought Rutgers needed a new voice. The infrastructure is in place for someone to take over his spot and I think he watched with happen to Joe Paterno's life, he probably figured it was time to take this kind of plunge.

RU is certainly in a better spot now than when he was there before and with what they're paying (though it's kinda late) they should be able to find someone better than average and perhaps they'll get over the hump now.

He's a bad game day coach. We have taken some on field steps with him giving up control of the offense and allowing him to focus on the defense. I'm not worried about the program moving forward, because as you say, the talent and infrastructure is there.

It's this year's recruiting class I'm panicking about.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #307
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Tampa Bay Buccaneers close to hiring Rutgers Scarlet Knights' Greg Schiano as coach, sources say - ESPN

For the folks who didn't know what we were talking about...

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-26-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #308
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Apparently the Chip Kelly hire was so far done that Oregon had already named the OC as new head coach, and kelly had to ask for his old job back.

Interesting news about Schiano.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-26-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #309
Ksyrup

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Not the first time this off-season Greg Schiano interviewed with NFL team. Sources say he was a finalist for Rams HC job.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #310
miked
College Starter

I'm torn, he was a hell of a recruiter, especially in Florida. He also took our program from the joke of the NCAA to 6 bowl games in 7 seasons (and 5 straight bowl wins). But he was a terrible game day coach.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #311
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I'm torn, he was a hell of a recruiter, especially in Florida. He also took our program from the joke of the NCAA to 6 bowl games in 7 seasons (and 5 straight bowl wins). But he was a terrible game day coach.

So the one thing he was good at a GM will do and the one thing he will be asked to do he sucks at?
Old 01-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #312
Logan
Head Coach

Yep.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #313
RendeR
Coordinator

Not everyone can handle Zimmer's...umm....style? He doesn't mince words and tends to drop f bombs at will. And while I'm sure he cleans things up for interviews and such he still comes across as rather crude most of the time.

Hopefully he'll decide to stick around in Cincy and we can really build some consistancy and winning seasons.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #314
Ksyrup

Bob Kravitz @bkravitz
Jim Irsay not happy about Peyton's comments, not in the least: "Keep it in house.'' Further details to come in the Star.

Bob Kravitz @bkravitz
Irsay also called Peyton "a politician'' for some of his quotes in my story. This, sadly, is deteriorating.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #315
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Bob Kravitz @bkravitz
Jim Irsay not happy about Peyton's comments, not in the least: "Keep it in house.'' Further details to come in the Star.

Bob Kravitz @bkravitz
Irsay also called Peyton "a politician'' for some of his quotes in my story. This, sadly, is deteriorating.

What house? There's nothing left of the organization.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #316
Ksyrup

Maybe his mansion.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #317
Ksyrup

lol

Peyton's Head @PeytonsHead
Trying to wrap my me around possibly being a free agent.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #318
Rizon
Pro Starter

The more I hear about Jim Irsay the more I would seriously pay $5000 to hit him in the face with a board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #319
Dutch
"Dutch"

I'm just ready to move on and get out of the darkness. Hopefully Schiano's very successful in the NFL.

Last edited by Dutch : 01-26-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #320
bhlloy
Coordinator

So where does Manning play next year?

And yeah Irsay is pretty fast becoming one of the most unlikeable people in football. Really, what this season has taught you is "manning doesn't mean this much to the organization, we should tell him to shut his trap and publicly antagonize him so his leaving is as messy as possible" It's enough to make me hope that Luck busts and the Colts spend the next 10 years like they spend last year, and I really like Andrew Luck
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #321
Swaggs
Coordinator

The 49ers would be a good fit.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #322
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I would argue that if Manning REALLY wanted to stay and retire a Colt, he'd voluntarily waive that $28 million bonus coming on March 1 and get a much better deal for the organization as they transition. He could still make millions to go with all his sponsorship money, but come down to some reasonable risk for the team given the neck injury. Sure, if Irsay wants to lowball you, yell and walk, but something more like an 8 or 9 million cap hit while you play another year or two and help coach up Luck.

If he still wants that $28 million bonus, then stop whining about how badly you want to retire a Colt.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #323
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
So the one thing he was good at a GM will do and the one thing he will be asked to do he sucks at?

LOL - perfectly put.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #324
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I would argue that if Manning REALLY wanted to stay and retire a Colt, he'd voluntarily waive that $28 million bonus coming on March 1 and get a much better deal for the organization as they transition. He could still make millions to go with all his sponsorship money, but come down to some reasonable risk for the team given the neck injury. Sure, if Irsay wants to lowball you, yell and walk, but something more like an 8 or 9 million cap hit while you play another year or two and help coach up Luck.

If he still wants that $28 million bonus, then stop whining about how badly you want to retire a Colt.

The problem with this idea is that the PA won't let him waive it.

At this point, I'm pretty sure that Manning has accepted that he won't be playing for the Colts any more. The Colts aren't going to pick up the $28 million option and he will get cut. That is the best scenario for him unless he sticks with the team.

If he does become a FA, I see the Redskins getting him. That is just the way they work. If that happens, it won't work out very well and it will be a big mess. That is just the way it works with the Redskins when they sign high priced, elderly players.

BTW, the Colts won't give him the $28 million and then trade him because they would still have to eat a lot of money against the cap. I forget the number, but giving Manning the money and trading him is something in the neighborhood of a $35 million hit to the cap. There's no way they do that.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #325
miked
College Starter

I know the team could benefit (and so could Manning from a PR standpoint) by waiving the 28M, but did he take significantly less money early on in the form of signing bonus and salary so they could have more flexibility? Usually, when you see these sort of things, it's to benefit the team earlier in the contract...
Old 01-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #326
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:

Why should he? We all can work for companies we really like and would want to spend a career with, but does that mean we should waive our bonuses or raises or even take pay cuts to make it happen? I doubt most would, I probably wouldn't myself.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #327
Danny
Head Coach

Dola, I am generally in favor of players spending a career with the same team, but in this case, it really is best for all involved to part ways. They aren't a playoff team anymore regardless and they would be better spent developing Luck. And Manning could go to a team like the Seahawks, Dolphins or Cardinals who actually have some decent talent and could be a playoff team or better with a healthy Manning. I really hope he doesn't go the Redskins though, that's the worst situation, no oline or offensive talent there.

Last edited by Danny : 01-27-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #328
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Why should he? We all can work for companies we really like and would want to spend a career with, but does that mean we should waive our bonuses or raises or even take pay cuts to make it happen? I doubt most would, I probably wouldn't myself.

I don't say that he should, I just said he shouldn't whine about how much he wants to stay if he doesn't want to waive the bonus. Now it's just business, so treat it like one. This is wanting your cake and eating it, too.

As for the can he waive it or not, he can certainly renegotiate to get that $28 million bonus but then a min salary over the next 4 years, which brings it into the range I was discussing.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #329
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
So where does Manning play next year?

And yeah Irsay is pretty fast becoming one of the most unlikeable people in football. Really, what this season has taught you is "manning doesn't mean this much to the organization, we should tell him to shut his trap and publicly antagonize him so his leaving is as messy as possible" It's enough to make me hope that Luck busts and the Colts spend the next 10 years like they spend last year, and I really like Andrew Luck

No, I hope Luck pulls an Elway after being drafted by the Dolts and goes on to have a hall of fame career ....
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #330
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

As for the can he waive it or not, he can certainly renegotiate to get that $28 million bonus but then a min salary over the next 4 years, which brings it into the range I was discussing.

I though the hang-up was over the ability to renegotiate it? I thought that with the new CBA you couldn't renegotiate a deal between the last regular season game and the first day of the new league year and the bonus is due on the first day of the league year.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #331
Autumn
Head Coach

Too bad these guys couldn't work things out. It would have been great to take a prospect like Luck and let him sit behind an all-time great and learn the system, and the NFL, before they threw the franchise at him. That was a chance of a lifetime for him and the Colts to have the perfect circumstance for developing a QB. It seems that used to be the norm, but now picks are coming in expecting to be handed the team right away.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #332
spleen1015
Coordinator

JOINT STATEMENT FROM PEYTON MANNING AND JIM IRSAY*

We would like to dispel any misperception that there might be any hard feelings between us.

Since 1998, we have enjoyed a great relationship, based upon mutual respect and trust. We have always been able to talk and address matters we’ve faced over the years, not just as owner and player, but as friends. We had a long talk today and we want to assure Colts fans everywhere that we are both committed to maintaining our close relationship and to working together through any challenges the future may bring.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #333
Dutch
"Dutch"

Good to know there are no hard feelings when they part ways. Bring Tebow back...this melodrama is horrible TV.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #334
Rizon
Pro Starter

If Drama Queen Jim Irsay would stop trying to incite drama then there wouldn't be any drama.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #335
ColtCrazy
College Starter

After watching ESPN, I officially hate them for trying to make the Manning situation sound like Favre 2.0.

I think the last few days are a big pile of nothing. Will Manning stay? I doubt it. The Colts have made a surprisingly quick cut of all things from the past. Why keep Manning if you are rebuilding? Wayne will be gone, though if they are smart they retain Mathis.

I would love to see Manning go one more year. If Pagano can turn the defense around, Manning's presence will turn the offense around. They could make one more run, especially in a water downed AFC.

It'll be a sad day if he goes.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #336
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Bruce Arinas is taking the OC job with the Colts.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #337
Galaril
Pro Starter

Good move by the Broncos signing Jack DelRio as there new DC.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #338
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Bruce Arinas is taking the OC job with the Colts.

That was a short retirement! Good for him, hope he comes back to haunt the Steelers...
Old 01-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #339
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Kind of exciting about the new look Colts staff. A coach that is great at defense, an offense coordinator willing to run the ball some. If Manning can come back, and they can even marginally improve the run game and defense.....

Oh the hope of the off season.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #340
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Kind of exciting about the new look Colts staff. A coach that is great at defense, an offense coordinator willing to run the ball some. If Manning can come back, and they can even marginally improve the run game and defense.....

Oh the hope of the off season.

Uhm....you realize Manning is as good as gone, right?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:25 PM   #341
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Even if the defense improves, it's still talent barren. It's like how Denver's defense improved, but they still gave a decent amount of points at numerous times. I think he has a max of a two year window.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #342
Ksyrup

Peyton Manning likely will never play football again, sources say - latimes.com
Old 01-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #343
bhlloy
Coordinator

It's going to be hilarious and sad if Rob Lowe ends up being right all along.

I hope if he can't come back at 100% he hangs them up. It would suck to see a couple below par seasons on a team other than the Colts just for his legacy. I think he's grounded and sufficiently un-Favreian that he'll make that call
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #344
spleen1015
Coordinator

I told a friend at a BBQ back on Labor Day that I thought he would never play again. It was more tongue in cheek because she's a huge Manning fan, ie re-locating to Indy just to get Colts season tickets to watch him play. She reminds me weekly that I put the jinx on him.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #345
Easy Mac

My wife is a physical therapist. She's seen people with the same problems. She's no doctor (actually, I guess she is a doctor of PT), but after reading up on his injury last year, said that there was no chance he would play again. She may actually have said that he shouldn't be allowed to play again. We all know how athletes are, and I don't think we can really blame him for wanting to play.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #346
Ksyrup

The thing is, he can't believe that. Otherwise, why the public feuding with Irsay? He sounds too invested as a player even now for this to be true. I bet worst case, he sits a year and tries to come back. If things are as bleak as they seem yet he's talking about the Colts front office and coaching changes as if he's still the QB, I don't think that bodes well for him accepting that he has to retire.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #347
spleen1015
Coordinator

There has been a lot of people says the same type of things, Easy Mac.

I remember right after he had the last surgery, a guy came on local sports radio claiming to be a spinal surgery that does the same surgery all of the time and he thought there was no way Manning would ever come back.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #348
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
That was a short retirement! Good for him, hope he comes back to haunt the Steelers...

He won't. The Steelers can stop a bubble screen.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #349
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The thing is, he can't believe that. Otherwise, why the public feuding with Irsay? He sounds too invested as a player even now for this to be true. I bet worst case, he sits a year and tries to come back. If things are as bleak as they seem yet he's talking about the Colts front office and coaching changes as if he's still the QB, I don't think that bodes well for him accepting that he has to retire.

I agree. If you know you're not coming back, why drag things out like this? Why say the things you've been saying? Maybe he is delusional and thinks he can come back even though expert are telling him there's no chance?

If this was Favre, I would expect him to announce his retirement on Friday.

What really cracks me up is all of the Colts fan that think he's going to play for the Colts again when Irsay has said he's moving the franchise forward without actually saying the words.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #350
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
He won't. The Steelers can stop a bubble screen.

QB sweep on 3rd and 4
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote