Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-13-2005, 01:21 PM   #1
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Handicapped Parking

At our commissary, we have a "vet" named Mike "the Loader" who takes people's carts out of the store and loads the groceries in the vehicle for a tip. He wears an eyepatch and has a noticeable limp. Many people feel bad for him and allow him to take care of their groceries and tip him well. I do not.

Mike gets a handicapped parking spot. The way I understand it is that handicapped parking spots are closer to the stores because of their diabilities, and the fact that some of them can't walk as far. I find it funny (as in ha ha, not hmmmm) that this guy gets a handicapped parking spot, yet he can walk all day unloading groceries.

Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:24 PM   #2
Subby
lolzcat

How would you like to trade with him?
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:24 PM   #3
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Guy is probably making millions and right after he leaves takes off the eye patch and goes to play some pickup hoops.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 06-13-2005 at 01:24 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:27 PM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
I do not.

I found this to be the most interesting part of your "story." You must have awfully strong feelings about this to include such a piece of trivia in a short explanation of the situation.

Good luck with that.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:27 PM   #5
hhiipp
College Prospect

My wife actually has a handicap parking sticker (24 years old) because she had, (thankfully the problem seems to have just sort of vanished?!?!) asthma really bad and at times could barely walk without being extremely out of breath. I bet in the few times we used it we got some odd looks from people who looked at us and thought we both looked like young, healthy individuals who were abusing the system.

That was my can't judge a book by it's cover story, but now, this guy obviously doesn't have a breathing problem, a walking problem, or a back problem. Maybe it's for his eye?
hhiipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:27 PM   #6
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
How would you like to trade with him?
Hmmm....not sure how to take this one. Personally, I wouldn't like to trade with him. Again, I find the situation a little comical; I don't see anything wrong with it. He deserves the handicapped parking.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:30 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Don't even get me started.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:31 PM   #8
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
I found this to be the most interesting part of your "story." You must have awfully strong feelings about this to include such a piece of trivia in a short explanation of the situation.

Good luck with that.
Don't know why you put quotes around story, but the reason I don't is because I am perfectly capable of doing the job myself. If I can save two dollars a week doing something I can do, I will. Nothing against him personally. If it were a good lookin' woman, I wouldn't let her unload my groceries either.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:34 PM   #9
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Don't even get me started.

Uncharacteristic restraint from the man from Monticello.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:44 PM   #10
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhiipp
My wife actually has a handicap parking sticker (24 years old) because she had, (thankfully the problem seems to have just sort of vanished?!?!) asthma really bad and at times could barely walk without being extremely out of breath. I bet in the few times we used it we got some odd looks from people who looked at us and thought we both looked like young, healthy individuals who were abusing the system.

That was my can't judge a book by it's cover story, but now, this guy obviously doesn't have a breathing problem, a walking problem, or a back problem. Maybe it's for his eye?

Most of the people I see pull into handicapped parking spots get right out of the car and bound towards the store. I would bet more than 50% of the cars parked in these spots at any given time did not have anyone in the car who needed the spot.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:50 PM   #11
lurker
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Most of the people I see pull into handicapped parking spots get right out of the car and bound towards the store. I would bet more than 50% of the cars parked in these spots at any given time did not have anyone in the car who needed the spot.

Way to ignore his point. How do you know they wouldn't be able to "bound" in if they had to walk further? Why not just give people the benefit of the doubt?
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:11 PM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker
Why not just give people the benefit of the doubt?

Because my experience has been that most people don't deserve it.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:16 PM   #13
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker
Way to ignore his point. How do you know they wouldn't be able to "bound" in if they had to walk further? Why not just give people the benefit of the doubt?

Well, I am unaware of any disability that has people able to sprint 100 feet, but unable to move beyond that.

You want me to give the benefit of the doubt to obvious teenagers in great physical condition who borrowed Grandma's car for a run to the store?

Live longer young one, you will learn to assume the worst in everyone.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:22 PM   #14
MJ4H
Coordinator

Doesn't really have anything to do with the story at hand, but it sure would be nice if we could get one for when we have my son with us. It is getting harder and harder to deal with getting him in and out of places. I don't even know how to go about getting one, but I'd imagine it's something I will be looking into shortly.

For those that don't know my son is completely disabled. He can do basically nothing on his own.

I'm surprised at the number of places I go that still don't have good handicapped access at all.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:29 PM   #15
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Most ppl cant drive well with two eyes, much less someone without 30% normal field of vision. Id also prefer not to be driving around the lot looking for a spot while some guy with a limp crosses the lane next to four vacant handicap spots at the movie theater.

Last edited by B & B : 06-13-2005 at 02:29 PM.
B & B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:10 PM   #16
lurker
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Well, I am unaware of any disability that has people able to sprint 100 feet, but unable to move beyond that.

You want me to give the benefit of the doubt to obvious teenagers in great physical condition who borrowed Grandma's car for a run to the store?

Live longer young one, you will learn to assume the worst in everyone.

If they're sprinting, then yeah, it's unlikely that they're needing the spot.

If they're teenagers, even "obvious teenagers" as you said, that doesn't mean they're in great physical condition. Plenty of people have muscular or respiratory problems that aren't discernible. Imagine how it would feel to be sick and have people making assumptions about how you're just pretending to be sick.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:16 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
I don't even know how to go about getting one, but I'd imagine it's something I will be looking into shortly.

It varies from state to state but often doctors are the key to the process (there's often paperwork you need from them for an application, so they might be an easy source to answer your initial questions).