Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-08-2005, 08:44 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Glory Glory Revolution: (Take 2) 2007 edition

Ok, since folks liked my style on the original game (that I had to stop because of the Belgian crash), here's my current game:

Just a quick recap of my first two seasons

2005: We win the Supporter's Shield with 57 Points (17 Wins, 9 Losses, 6 ties), and make it to the Eastern Conference Final, but an injury crisis at goalie dooms us, and we fall to Chicago 3-1. This is despite losing two of our top players during the year, as Clint Dempsey goes to Israeli side Maccabi Tel-Aviv for 2.9 Million Dollars, and Taylor Twellman leaves for German Bundesliga side Dortmund for 4.6 Million Dollars. We do manage to acquire some good players back, US star Brian McBride, joins us for 500K, and Rosenborg's Robbie Russell for 2 million. We also acquire Josh Wolff from Kansas City for a draft pick. Our winger/striker Khano Smith wins league MVP.

2006: We win the Eastern Conference regular season again with 57 Points (15 Wins, 5 Losses, 12 Draws) but we just cannot get over the hump, as after coming back to beat the Metrostars 5-2 on aggregate after being down 2-1 entering the 2nd leg, DC United ends our season, beating us 2-0 in the Eastern Conference final. Wolff wins league MVP with 17 goals, but losing at the last hurdle before the MLS Cup is not something I like repeating, and this year we're going to do it.. (i hope)

SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:56 PM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The 2007 New England Revolution roster as of January 2007 (post Superdraft, pre Supplemental Draft)

Starters in BOLD , Reserves in Italics

Goalkeepers

Jon Busch, 30 Years Old, Acquired on a Free Transfer in 2006 from Columbus (Contract Expired), Last Year: 29 Games, 30 Goals Allowed, 3 Man of Match Awards, 7.31 Rating), Valued at 300K, Weekly wage $1200/wk

He missed all of 2005 with the Crew due to damaged cruciate ligaments in his left leg, and didn't fit into their plans for 2006. That's fine, he fits real well in ours! Jon was the East All-Star starting goalie last year, and ended up being named to the MLS All-Pro team. Only had 10 clean sheets, but didn't usually end up giving up more then 1 (as indicated by the 1.03 GAA).

Matt Reis, 31, Acquired in 2003 from Los Angeles, Last Year: 7 Games, 9 Goals Allowed, 7.14 rating, Valued at 190K, Weekly Wage $1700/wk

Well, he was pushed out by Busch, but he didn't have a bad 2005, (Only 24 goals allowed in 28 games), but he was injured a couple times late in the year, and when we needed him most, he was unavailable. Gets paid a lot of money to be the backup, but really could start for several teams out there.. if I could, I'd offer him around see if we could get a first round pick for him.

T.J. Tomasso, Acquired in 2003 (Draft), Last Year: Did Not Play, Valued at 14K, $250/week

TJ's strictly a reserve team goalie and injury cover, has played twice in two years (both games during the Revs injury crisis in 2005). He's cheap, and he's not totally horrible. But he knows the clock is ticking on his career.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 11-08-2005 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:20 PM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Defenders

Daniel Hernandez (30, Acquired in 2005 (Free Transfer, formerly of Mexico's Necaxa), Last Year: 34 Games, 5 Goals, 1 Assist, 7.06 Rating), Valued at $40K, $1800/Wk Salary

Position: Sweeper, Defense (Central)

Daniel's going to miss at least the first regular season game, he was sent off for a professional foul in the 2006 Eastern Conference Championship game. He's a decent player, and scored his goals mainly off corner kicks. His stamina and Pace are a concern, but he's a strong defensive back. Has dual American and Mexican citizenship

Pirata Castro (30, Acquired in 2006 (Free Transfer, formerly of Chivas USA), Last Year: 8 Games, 0 Goals, 2 Asissts, 6.75 Rating), Valued at $80K, $1100 weekly salary

Positions: Defense (Central), Defensive Midfield

It's kind of interesting, I brought him in late in the season on a free transfer, and I kind of wondered why Chivas USA had let him go (in 2005 29 Games, 6.93 rating).. he's really distinctly average, but he has good stamina and probably will start for me. Counts as an international (mexican)

Alex Zotinca (29, Acquired in 2005 Trade with Kansas City), Last Year: 26 Games, 1 Goal, 2 Assists, 6.85 Rating), Valued at $45K, $775/wk

Positions: Defense (Right/Left), Wing Back (Right/Left), Midfield (Right)

A versatile player.. not going to set the world on fire, but he gets the job done, and can be moved as needed to cover injury/international call up holes. Strong and has good endurance, however, his marking is average (10). Will start on the left side of defence.

Ohbum (22, acquired from Korean K-League team Pohang for $7k, in 2006), Last Year: 7 Games, 7.29 Rating), Valued at $180K, Base Wage: $1700/wk

Positions: Defense (Right), Wing Back (Right)

I won't give his full name, because Ohbum is his nickname, you'd just start giggling like Beavis and Butthead if I gave you his full name. Very good man-marking defender, and good at creating counter attacks, which is a VERY needed skill in our 4-1-2-3, Good Off The Ball and Work Rate stats too. Has 2 caps for the South Korean National side. Will start on the right side of defense.

Enrique Alfaro (32, Acquired from Mexican Side in 2005 for $12K, Last Year, 12 Games, 1 Goal, 1 assist, 6.58 Rating)

Position: Defense (Right), Wing Back (Right), Attacking Midfield (Right)

Enrique has 19 caps and two goals for the Mexican national side, but sadly, he's starting to wind down his career with us. Is pretty versatile, when we were running a 4-1-2-1-2, could play any of the right side positions, but now has to contend with Ohbum. But he'll definitely be in the travel squad for most of our games.

Eric Denton (28, Acquired in 2005 Trade with Colorado, Last Year: 30 Games, 0 Goals, 6 Assists, 1 Man of the Match Award, 7.10 Rating), Valued at $55K, $600/wk.

Position: Defense (Left), Wing Back (Left), Midfield (Left)

Denton's getting squeezed in the new formation, he's going to get significant playing time at the left side of defense, and if we spread the midfield out again, will play there too. A journeyman, won't win many games, but he won't be the reason you look back and say "That's the reason why we lost" either. Better physically then he is mentally, we're hoping he will still grow a bit skills-wise.

Marcelo Damieno (24, Acquired in 2006 on a Free Transfer (formerly of Greek side Ethnikos), Last Year: 2 Appearances, 6.00 Rating, Valued at $70K, Wage: $600/wk

Positions: Wing Back (Left), Defensive Midfield, Midfield (Left)

Well, Marcelo was brought in on a free to see what he could do.. and he's hit a wall, this may be as good as the Uruguayan gets, and that just may not be good enough, as he takes up an international slot. Horrible at marking, that might be his biggest flaw.

Luke Vercollone (24, Acquired in 2003 MLS Draft, Last Season: 22 Appearances, 0 Goals, 2 Assists, 6.95 Rating), Valued at $75K, wages of $350/week

Luke's versatility gave him some appearances last year, when Shalrie Joseph went down with injury. Very good defender, considering he had played 5 times in three years, he adjusted to the strain of playing a majority of games fairly easily. may not get as many games, but he will be in the mix this year..

Abdullah Al-Waked (31, Acquired from Saudi Arbian side Al-Ittihad for 9K in 2005, Last Year: 19 Games, 1 Goal, 4 Asissts, 7.00 Rating), Valued at: $50K, Wage: $1800

Positions: Defense (Right), Defensive Midfield, Attacking Midfield (Center)

Well, he's a good player, slightly above average.. except for one thing. His stamina sucks. Most games last year, he was winded (60% condition) between half time and the 60th minute. Really good at free kicks. Currently a 4 at Natural Stamina.. Has 45 Caps for Saudi Arabia, and 4 goals. May be on his way out if I can get something for him, with 28 roster spots, and a maximum of 5 Senior Internationals, it may just be time to cut the losses, we have enough injury holes without having a guy who never will play the full 90.

Sergio Flores (21, Signed on a Free Transfer in 2007, (Formerly of Real Salt Lake), Last Year: 1 appearance, 6.00 rating for RSL), Valued at 26K, $325/wk wage.

Position: Defense (Central)
Has four caps for USA U21's. Really on a make good contract here, his stats don't show me much, but we can at least have him train with us and then cut him if need be.

Robbie Russell (27, acquired from Norwegian side Rosenborg for 2 Million in 2005, Last Year: 19 Appearances, 0 Goals, 2 Assists, 2 Man of the Match awards, 6.84 Rating), Valued at $200K, wages $2700/wk)

Positions: Defense (Right), Wing Back (Right), Midfield (Right)

To say buying Russell was my worst act as manager of the Revs would be generous. Not that he's BAD mind you.. it was a matter of needing an American defender and he was the only one worth pursuing that wouldn't cost us Draft Picks (we had money from selling Twellman/Dempsey) and I overpaid for him. But he's had some good performances. But to be paying nearly 8% of my allotted budget for someone who's a useful sub.. I don't think he'll last the year unless we can get him to reduce his salary.

Tony Medina (21, Acquired in 2006 MLS Superdraft, Last Year, 1 Appearance, 7.00 Rating), Valued at $6k, $300/wk

Positions: Sweeper, Defender (Central)

Well, he's already avaerage at marking, and he is young. Very good at jumping, belying his 5'11" frame, our assistant manager Paul Mariner doesn't know if he has the potential to make it as a MLS defender.

Tim Johnson (23, Acquired on a Free Transfer in 2006, Formerly of San Jose), Last Year: 5 Games, 6.20 rating), Valued at $6K, Weekly Wage $250/wk

Positions: Defense (Right)

Primarily a practice body, acquired when defensive depth was a real need, and has two years to show something, but I think sadly, his career has reached its peak. May be one of those cut to reach MLS Roster limits.

Jim Henning (22, Acquired in MLS 2006 Superdraft, Last Year: 13 Appearances, 0 goals, 2 assists, 6.92 Rating, Valued at $24,000, wages: $250/wk

He's the focus of a bit of a disagreement amongst the coaches. Last year, he had to fill in while we were waiting for some of our transfers to go through, and he did relatively well, as you can see above. But there's a couple coaches who don't think he's good enough to stay at the club, and depending on who our roster numbers go, he may be on the chopping block.

Good at Marking, and just above the average when it comes to tackling, but he's quick and reaches top speed quickly (17 in Pace/Acceleration). I will try to keep him if at all possible.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:33 PM   #4
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Before I continue with the 2007 Revs preview, I just got offered the Colorado Rapids job, and while they have a decent team, I just was not gonna leave my Revs for another MLS job unless pushed.

I get this nice reply.

Colorado chairman Beckerman disappointed

Colorado chairman Dan Beckerman has expressed his disappointment that you do not wish to join Colorado.

Beckerman stated that he hoped that you would use your management skills to bring success to the club but respects your wishes and hopes he will have a chance to make you the club's manager in the future

Damn.

Ok.. if it does come open again, I just might take it

Last edited by SirFozzie : 11-08-2005 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:02 PM   #5
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Midfield

Sasha Victorine (28, Acquired in a Trade from Kansas City in 2005, Last Year: 27 Appearances, 2 Goals, 1 Assist, 7.19 Rating), Valued at $210K, Wage: $2200/wk

Positions: Defense (Right/Left), Wing Back (Right/Left), Defensive Midfield, Midfield (Right/Center)

Wow. Versatile huh? No matter where we had a hole in the back last year, he filled in, and he also plays pretty good midfielder (he's listed in his description as a Tireless midfielder). He's more of a defensive type though, then an attacking type.. but very good teamwork and workrate, and he will be starting somewhere, probably as one of the two midfielders in our starting 4-1-2-3. Has 3 caps and 1 goal for the USA.

Steve Ralston, (32, Acquired in the 2002 MLS Dispersal draft from the defunct Tampa Bay Mutiny, Last Year: 21 games, 1 goal, 4 assists, 6.90 Rating), Valued at $300K, Wage: $3000 week.

Position: Defense (Right), Wing Back (Right), Attacking Midfield (Right/Central), Striker

Last year was a really crummy year for Stevie, as within four months, he was injured four seperate times (Twisted knee, Bruised thighs (twice), and strained wrist. Never got into the flow of our team.. hopefully this year is different. Another year like that will see us attempt to move him to free up some Salary Cap room. When he's on though, can be very good. Has 34 caps and 5 goals for the USA.

Shalrie Joseph (28, Acquired in the 2003 MLS Draft, Last Year:33 Games, 1 Goal, 5 Assists, 7.27 Rating), Valued at: $325,000, Wages: $2300/wk

Position: Defensive Midfield

Shalrie is the rock in our defense. He doesn't miss time with his national team commitments (he plays for minnows Grenada), and he is very consistent. Very strong in the mental part of the game, good enough physically to use his skills to the fullest. Definitely a first team choice at defensive midfield.

You've met most of our reserves for midfield in the defenders post, but here's a couple reserves:

Chris Tanner (21, Drafted in 2006, Last Year: 1 Appearance, 6.00 rating), Valued at $7K, wages $250/wk (Right/Central Midfielder)

Needs to improve to make the team this year, has decent physical stats, but needs to improve on the technical side.

Brian White (21, Drafted in 2007, Valued at $12K, Wage $300/wk, Central Midfield

Good Pace and stamina, he's got a couple months to make the team, and he might just do it.

Mark Glazer (21, Drafted in 2007, Valued at $6k, Wage $170/wk, Attacking Midfielder (Right)

He's told me that he really considers this a paid vacation.. not that he doesn't work hard in practice.. just he knows and I know that him making the team is a longshot, and he's at least having fun.

Greg Brown (20, Drafted in 2007, Valued at $40K, Wage $300/wk, Attacking Midfield (right/center), Forward

Our first round superdraft pick, Brown is a sinch to make the team, and while he's starting on the reserves, could get some first team time if there's any injuries up front (and there usually are, with running a 3 man front line!)
Old 11-08-2005, 11:22 PM   #6
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Attack

In the bastardized 4-1-2-3 we run, we really need to score goals, and we do pretty well.. here's our usual starting three.

Khano Smith (26, signed on a free transfer (from Bermudan side Dandy Town) in 2005, Last Year, 28 Appearances, 9 goals, 9 assists, 3 Man Of Match Awards, Average Rating: 7.46, Valued at 2.3 MILLION, wages $850/week

Positions: Attacking Midfield (Left), Striker

Khano Smith is a riddle wrapped in an enigma. Two years ago, he was coaching middle schoolers in Bermuda. That year he was the MLS MVP, and last year, he nearly did it again. He has average stats, but he's flexible, and somehow.. he works his way into scoring. He's scored key goals for us the last two years (9 each in the last two years), but he's fast, and he works within the system. That can't be beat, can it? He's even scored for the Bermudan national side.

Brian McBride (34, Acquired in 2005 from EPL side Fulham for 500,000, Last Year: 28 Appearances, 13 goals, 1 assist, 5 Man of the Match Awards, 7.39 rating, Valued at $30k, earns $4,300/week

Position: Striker

The old man of the team, gracefully scoring goals even at 34, McBride still is a tireless striker. He has one, maybe two seasons left in him, but they'll likely be really good ones. He has 96 caps and 31 goals for the USA. Has evolved into more of a target man in the box striker.

Josh Wolff (29, Acquired in a trade from Kansas City in 2005, Last Year: 29 Appearances, 20 Goals, 9 Assists, 7 Man of Match awards, 7.76 Rating, Valued at 2.1 Million, Wage $5500/wk

Last year's MVP, Wolff and I got off to a rocky start, just months after he came in on a trade from KC, fearing for his job when I brought in Brian McBride. I told him, that he was the #1 choice as long as he proved it on the pitch..and he's proven it ever since. He's made several long runs that end up with the goal keeper on the ground as he dribbles it home. Simply a great player. Has 43 Caps and 10 Goals for the USA, and is currently playing for them in the North American Gold Cup.

Pat Noonan (26, Drafted in the 2003 Draft, Last Year: 23 games, 7 goals, 5 Assists, 2 Man of Match awards, 7.26 Rating), valued at $425K, wages 1600/wk

Position: Attacking Midfield (Right), Striker

Noonan is also off at the USA squad for the gold cup, and he doesn't even start for us, how cool is that? He's our outside midfielder if we need one, and he also is our backup striker. He probably will get a lot of playing time, with McBride's age, and injuries playing a role. Our best dribbling striker, he's above average in just about everything. Noonan has 18 caps and a single goal.

Jamie Holmes (23, Drafted in the 2005 MLS Superdraft, Last year: 3 games, 6.33 Rating, Valued at $45K, wages $250/wk)

Hasn't had much of a chance to crack the first team squad, and when he has had a chance, hasn't really done much.. but a very serviceable reserve
Old 11-09-2005, 02:59 AM   #7
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

In the Gold Cup: The USA have an easy group stage, comfortably beating Guatemala 5-1, and then Bermuda 3-0 to advance to the quarter finals, and it's not even close as they smack around the British Virgin Islands 4-0 to advance to the semifinals, where they will play Canada.. and in the other semi final.. Brazil will play Mexico..

Yes.. that's USA vs Canada.. and Brazil vs Mexico.

(pause)

Yeah, I can see where they're bitchin..

Wolff has a goal for the USA in the tourney (against Guatemala)
Old 11-09-2005, 03:14 AM   #8
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

USA does their duty and dusts Canada 3-0 to advance to the Gold Cup Final against Brazil, who dismissed Mexico 2-0.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:19 AM   #9
Izulde
Head Coach

Nice layout of the team, player by player. If I wasn't lazy, I'd do something like that. Oh well, maybe if/when we get promoted to Conference National.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:25 AM   #10
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Despite having the best of play throughout the game, the USA can't break through, and an 18th minute counter by Milan's Robinho (who moved to the Italian side from Real Madrid for $32 million this year), is the difference, and Brazil takes the Gold Cup, 1-0. But the Yanks don't have anything bad.. it was a great game.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:25 AM   #11
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
Nice layout of the team, player by player. If I wasn't lazy, I'd do something like that. Oh well, maybe if/when we get promoted to Conference National.

It's much easier to do it once a year, if I had to do it with an EPL team, I'd be typing forever
Old 11-09-2005, 04:39 PM   #12
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

We're 2-0-1 in the preseason so far, as we had a 0-0 draw with Atlanta and a 2-1 win over Charleston while the Gold Cup is going on, and then we have a full team available for the game in Puerto Rico, and it shows, as we run over the USL team 5-0, Wolff scoring a hat trick, and Joseph and McBride adding goals.

We'll be hosting a preseason tournament for the first time, the Revolution Cup will see Chicago, DC, New England and the Metrostars in a four team knock out tourney. Chicago plays DC, we play the Mutts.

After that, more friendlies as we attempt to work ourselves into regular season form.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:03 PM   #13
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

We finish third in the Revolution Cup, as we lose to the Mutts 1-0 (Abbe Ibrahim scored the winner), but we did salvage some pride by beating Chicago 2-0 on a goal by Ralston and a Fire own-goal.

DC won the first Revolution Cup, and takes the tophy back to DC.. we'll be comin for it next year.. grrr.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:20 PM   #14
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Colorado decides since they can't have me, they'll take my assistant instead, as Paul Mariner becomes the manager of the Rapids. I praise him, and wish him luck. That does put a hole in my coaching staff, and I end up promoting former Welsh international Gary Speed to the assistant Manager role... heady stuff, considering Speed just retired from playing in the middle of last year, and joined us shortly thereafter.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:30 PM   #15
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The Turk Strikes, as we have to submit our 28 man MLS roster, with the following stipulations:

No more then 4 Foreigners over 25 (Senior Internationals)
No more then 7 Foreigners total
Maximimum of 18 players 25+

With that in mind, and with the fact that we acquired Julinho from Brazillian 2nd division side Paulista, here's our cuts.

Abdullah Al-Waked: Stamina was an issue, and will always be one for him
Adam Lewis: Hopefully will get some seasoning with a USL or USL2 team, maybe I'll take a look at him a couple years down the road.
Scott Vaughn: had an awful preseason.
Marcelo Damiano: Just the odd man out with regards to senior international spots
Old 11-09-2005, 10:38 PM   #16
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Eight players are in the last season of their contract, and there's some rather big names in there

Daniel Hernandez- Gets offered a 2 year deal at the same pay level (1800/wk)
Pirata Castro- Wait and see on him
Alex Zotinca- Wait and See
Enrique Alfaro- Probably I will let him go at the end of the year
Shalrie Jospeh- Wants the same pay level for two more years, I'm glad to offer it.
Brian McBride- Has seemingly entered the death spiral of his career (his value just dropped to 6k), does not get an offer to start, let's see how he takes it.
Josh Wolff- Wow. The reigning MVP offers to take a PAY CUT of nearly 20%, from $5500/wk to $4300 week, as long as we keep him around for three more years. Let me think about it.. YES!
Old 11-09-2005, 11:17 PM   #17
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

All three players who get offered new contracts accept them. That's good news, as we have a full roster, but only have $34,240 a week in salary, with the salary cap being $38,460. If we want to bring an international player in later in the season, we have plenty of room to do so,

Real Madrid is just having an AWFUL year, with less then 10 games remaining in the year, they are incredibly 11th in La Liga, 24 points behind the league leaders, and it doesn't even look like they'll be in Europe next year. Manager Vanderley Luxembergo pays the price with his job.. and the top candidate to replace him is Mexican coach Hugo Sanchez? Wow. That might not go over well.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:47 PM   #18
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The MLS odds folks have spoken from up high:

DC are 5-2 Favorites to repeat..
Chicago 6-1
Metrostars 10-1
Chivas USA 12-1
New England 16-1

They think I have an outside chance of mounting a title challenge. Unfortunately, we have a long term reputation now of losing the Conference Championship. But it's go time, we won't have Brian McBride for the beginning of the year, he hurt his wrist in training.

This is the year!
Old 11-10-2005, 12:40 AM   #19
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Sanchez does become the new supremo at Real. Good luck.. you'll need it.

Our first game is against last year's Supporter Shield winners, Chivas USA. The first half is just wave after wave of attacks from Chivas, and Jon Busch basically stands on his head and somehow keeps them from scoring. We get a Noonan goal on the counter attack, and go into the break up 1-0, despite being out shot 7 (5 on net) to 3 (2 on net).

We play better in the 2nd half, Busch stones a one on one earlier in the 2nd half. Despite Ralston having a penalty saved at the hour mark, Noonan adds a 2nd late to seal the deal, and the Revs make a good start to the 2007 MLS season with a 2-0 win.

Busch and Noonan are both worthy candidates for Man Of the Match, but the game gives it to Noonan, and I can't really complain about it.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:49 AM   #20
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

We travel to LA to take on the Galaxy, and we're up 1-0 (thanks to Noonan again) late in the first half.. when a harmless corner kick starts a chain of events.

The corner kick drifts, and a crowd of players go up for it..

it's headed toward the net and inadvertantly deflecting off a Galaxy defender's arm.. it gets cleared, but we're already appealing for the handball on the Galaxy defender... and it's GIVEN!

While the Galaxy players are protesting with the referee, Khano Smith gets LEVELLED by a right cross by the Galaxy's Dimitriy Rubnenko, and that sparks off a mini melee as it's handbags at two paces all over the place.

When the smoke clears, Rubnenko is shown the red card, and finally we get back to the game, Daniel Hernandez converts the penalty and it's 2-0 Revs at the half.

Khano Smith adds a third, just to rub it in. Julinho, who's stepped into the left side of the Defense gets a 10 rating and Man of the Match, as we win 3-0.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:57 AM   #21
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Wolff will miss between two weeks and a month with a twisted knee.. that leaves us a bit thin up front, looks like McBride will need to come back in. Rubnenko is suspsended for 2 additional games.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:14 PM   #22
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Lets go Revs!! (Here and IRL)
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 03:53 PM   #23
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Our next game is home against Salt Lake (wow, really starting with the Western teams this year), and it's the Khano Smith show. He scores twice, and Jon Busch shuts down RSL's attack (through 3 games, he has a rating of 8.67 (!!!!)), and the Revs have won their third straight, 2-0.

Up next is the early season game I've been pointing to ever since last year's Eastern Conference Championship loss, DC United, AT DC. We could really turn heads if we pulled off a fourth straight win on the trot.

Khano Smith and Pat Noonan (who's picked up some European interest in the last little bit since he's been playing regularly) score first half goals, and when Polish international Krzyiof Lagiewka (I had a hard enough time typing it, don't ask me how to pronounce it!) gets sent off five minutes into the 2nd half for his 2nd yellow.. it's breathe easy time. DC does add a consolation goal deep in stoppage time, but all it does it make the final margin 2-1.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:00 PM   #24
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Things kinda go pear shaped after that.. compared to the run we had been having:

We look like we're going to lose our first game of the year, when Santino Quaranta scores for FC Dallas in the 84th minute (he joined FC Dallas after refusing a DC United offer), in our game at Pizza Hut Park, but emergency substitute Jamie Holmes comes on, and in the 94th minute, knocks home the equalizer in a frantic scramble around the net.. and it counts! 1-1 is the final.

We're home against Columbus, and again, 1-1 is the final, in a rather bore game. Khano Smith scored the Revs goal in the 15th minute, and Columbus equalized through Edson Buddle in first half injury time.. and Columbus just bunkered after that. We couldn't break the bunker, and therefore take the point.

Up next is our first game against our old guy Paul Mariner, who gets a big hand from the Gilette crowd as the Rapids take on the Revs. Just a minute later, they are grumbling and not happy, as Brazillian forward Marlon scores a goal to put the Rapids up 1-0. We have a couple close chances, but as we get into the final twenty minutes, it looks like we won't be able to do i, but Khano Smith spares our blushes with a 72nd minute goal, and we have our third straight 1-1 tie.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:13 PM   #25
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So, we've only taken 3 of our last 9 points, and despite being undefeated, we're in for a huge game home against the Mutts, a win here would restore the team's equillibrium.

The first half is sloppy, scrappy, and to most home fans at Gilette, sucky. They hit the post THREE times in the first half and ping the crossbar to boot. The team is looking at me turning an interesting shade of scarlet, and imagining with a wince, the yelling and screaming that is to follow at halftime..

And Pat Noonan goes on a 30 yard solo run, and smashes the ball past the despairing goalie, moments before the end of the first half.

There's a general feeling of having dodged a bullet as I go over some stuff with the assistants in the lockerroom., but when I step out of the office to give the half time team talk, they're still looking at me like schoolboys who just brought home a report card filled with C's and D's, and hoping the one A will mean that they won't be grounded..

"Right. Play the 2nd half the way you ended the first, and we'll win this thing." I say and turn and walk out.

They grin at each other, but it's a relieved grin.

Josh Wolff is back for us, and he scores his first goal of the year with 15 minutes to play, and despite a couple desperate minutes after Auntie Ratsass.. (ahem.. sorry.. Ante Razov) scores to cut the lead to 2-1 in the 85th minute.. but at the full time whistle, we win 2-1.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:19 PM   #26
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

We're on the road against San Jose, trying to run our undefeated streak to 9, and Pat Noonan scores the first goal, and Sasha Victorine pings one in off the post off a corner kick header, combined with a San Jose own goal, is enough for the Revs to win comfortably 3-1.

Uh oh.. the vultures are circling.

I just checked Noonan's screen:

Schalke 04 (German Bundesliga), Toulouse (French Ligue 1), Rennes (About to be relegated from French Ligue 1), Heerenveen (in 3rd place with a chance to win the Dutch Eredivisie if the 2 teams ahead of them falter on the last day), Auxerre (Again, French Ligue 1) all are interested in his services.

Stop that you vultures!
Old 11-10-2005, 04:20 PM   #27
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The Standings:

Code:
Holders - D.C. United | Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | 1st | | New England | | 9 | 6 | 3 | 0 | 17 | 6 | +11 | 21 | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | 2nd | | Columbus | | 9 | 5 | 3 | 1 | 12 | 6 | +6 | 18 | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | 3rd | | MetroStars | | 9 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 16 | 11 | +5 | 15 | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | 4th | | D.C. United | | 9 | 3 | 2 | 4 | 10 | 10 | 0 | 11 | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | 5th | | Chicago | | 9 | 3 | 2 | 4 | 10 | 12 | -2 | 11 | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | 6th | | Kansas City | | 9 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 17 | 17 | 0 | 9 | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | 1st | | FC Dallas | | 9 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 14 | 11 | +3 | 15 | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | 2nd | | Los Angeles | | 9 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 15 | 13 | +2 | 15 | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | 3rd | | San Jose | | 9 | 4 | 2 | 3 | 16 | 14 | +2 | 14 | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | 4th | | Salt Lake | | 9 | 2 | 2 | 5 | 8 | 15 | -7 | 8 | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | 5th | | Colorado | | 9 | 1 | 3 | 5 | 8 | 14 | -6 | 6 | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | 6th | | Chivas USA | | 9 | 1 | 1 | 7 | 6 | 20 | -14 | 4 | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Old 11-10-2005, 04:27 PM   #28
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The Top Leagues in Europe, and how they fared in 2006-07:

England:

Champions: Manchester United (85 Points, 2 more then Liverpool)
Relegated: Portsmouth, Newcastle, West Ham

Scotland:

Champions: Hearts (70 Points, 3 more then Rangers) *** First time a team other then the Old Firm has won in 21 seasons!
Relegated: Falkirk

Italy:

Champions: Juventus (84 Points, 5 more then 2nd place Inter Milan)
Relegated: Empoli, Siena, Ascoli

France:

Champions: Lyon (who have now won 5 of the last 6) (72 points, wins by Goal Differential over Marseille)
Relegated: Troyes, Rennes, Nancy

Portugal:

Champions: Sporting (61 Points, 2 points over Benfica)
Relegated: Estrela de Amadora, Estoril, Penafiel

Spain:
Champions: Deportivo la Coruna (78 Points, 8 points over Real Betis)
Relegated: Murcia, Malaga and Cadiz (and honorable mention: Real Madrid, who finished THIRTEENTH!!!!)

If you want to know how a player/club is doing in 2007, let me know
Old 11-10-2005, 10:51 PM   #29
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ajax wins the Dutch Eredivisie.

We are up and down, losing 1-0 to Chicago and then 2-0 to Kansas City (our first two losses of the season)

Then Josh Wolff rises up and goes BOOOOOM, scoring all of our goals in a 4-0 rout of DC United.

of course, we then lose 1-0 to Columbus. sheesh.

And then June 1st rolls around, and the vultures are starting to swoop.

Rangers ask about the availablity of Shalrie Joseph. I don't really want to sell him, but he lets me know that if possible, he would like to talk to them.. so I tell them that if they pony up $1.9 million, they can have him (valued at 400K, so I think he'll be safe)

Auxerre and Heerenveen make offers on Pat Noonan, offering 1.4 million up front, 10% of next sale, and 500 K after 30 goals. I negotiate, telling them they can have the 800K rated player is they make it 1.5 million, 550K after 10 goals, and 10% of next sale.

Arsneal can Arsene Wenger after a foourth place finish, and rumors have it that Paul Jewell, who guided Wigan to 2nd place in the championship and promotion this year, will take over the Gunners.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:56 PM   #30
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

We make a 90K bid on Beveren's american defender Jimmy Conrad, and he accepts. He wants 4,900/wk, that's a bit more then our salary cap allows, so I attempt to lower him to 4,000/wk

Robbie Russell complains about his lack of first team opportunities. I tell him if he works hard in training, he'll get a shot in games. Right now, Ohbum is doing a fine job.

Damnit, I underestimated Glasgow Rangers level of wanting Shalrie, they offer 1.9 million, and if I reject it now, I'd look like a hypocrite. Oh well, I accept it, hopefully Shalrie will want to stay.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:01 PM   #31
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Double Damnit, Heerenveen beats us to the punch and offers $2 million for Noonan. *sighs*. I accept...

and then hear that McBride is out up to two months with strained knee ligaments.

another vulture drifts in..
Old 11-10-2005, 11:03 PM   #32
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Auxerre and Toulouse quickly follow with what I'm asking for Noonan.. I can't reject them, because I've already accepted one bid, and rejecting bids now would be petty.

So.. time to see who I can bring in with all this money I soon will have... :/
Old 11-10-2005, 11:07 PM   #33
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Joseph accepts the offer from Rnagers, and now it's time to see if he'll get a work permit..
Old 11-10-2005, 11:13 PM   #34
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Conrad not only rejects the offer, his new demands are 6750/wk.

I hope that he'll accept 4900/wk
Old 11-10-2005, 11:35 PM   #35
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

A new bid comes in for Noonan, from Spanish side Villareal, they offer 2 million over 24 months, a million after 50 league games and a million after 30 goals. They also throw in a player. I'm pretty sure the young player won't want to join us, so I change it: 2.4 Million now, and 1.2 million extra after 50 games/30 goals.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:08 AM   #36
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Conrad rejects our offer and announces he'll be joining Duisburg (5th in the Bundesliga last year)

Noonan costs us a possible 2 million dollar extra in his transfer by deciding to go to Toulose instead of Villareal. C'est La Guerre..

Rangers get a work permit for Shalrie, and he's off.

So we have 4-5 million dollars to spen, but the players will have to be young if they are not from the USA (we are at our limit of 4 senior internationals).

In MLS play, we've reacted surprisingly well, with a 1-1 draw with Chivas preceding two victories, 4-1 over the Metrostars (HAH!), Wolff with a pair, Smith and the departing Noonan scoring as well, and a 2-0 win over the Fire (wolff and Greg Brown (his first senior goal).

So I'm doing the player hunting thing, when another bid comes in, for Sasha Victorine, who's one of the folks who's taken over at midfield from FC Den Bosch. I negotiate it, but goddamn, I'm beginning to understand why coaches go crazy in this biz.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:54 AM   #37
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

We manage to start spending the money, and will get some late season help, as we agree a $600K deal with Argentinian 2nd division side Ferro to bring in Santiago Biglieri, an attacking midfielder, that's been capped for Argentina's U21 side.

Here's a snap shot of him (Click for full screen)

Old 11-11-2005, 04:51 AM   #38
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

We play next AT Kansas City, and it looks bad for us, as they score their 2nd goal in injury time of the first half, and are seemingly about to go into the break up 2-0. However, Khano Smith socres JUST before the halftime whistle, to cut the lead to 2-1. Just after the halftime break, sub Robbie Russell (who's now in our rotation at midfield due to the loss of Joseph), scores to tie it up, and Jaime Holmes scores the winner with 25 minutes to play, and it's an improbabe 3-2 win for the Revs

July 1st comes around, and Noonan officially departs for Toulouse, and we bring home one of the more.. polarizing players to US Fans, as Conor Casey signs on a free transfer, after having been frozen out of the Mainz main squad (despite scoring 10 goals in 8 games for their reserves in 2005-06!!!!), he'll immediately replace Noonan in the starting lineup..

Last edited by SirFozzie : 11-11-2005 at 04:52 AM.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:55 AM   #39
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Final update of the morning, as I'm about to head home:

Two USL teams come up with.. innovative offers for Enrique Alfaro, one offering 2K up front, and 500K after 40 league goals, the other offering 40K, 200K over 24 months and 200K after 50 league goals.

Er.. No.

I tell them if they give me the money up front (400K over 24 months and 500K instantly), they can have him. They accept. Don't try to put shit over on me, buckos...

We resign Alex Zotinca for two years, at $725/week (slight pay dip from his $775/week current contract)

We have a couple more deals working out, that I'll report if they happen, but in the big news:

Freddy Adu is out of DC, and over to the Continent.

The now 18 year old Freddy is off to Italian side Viacenza in a deal that nets DC United (who currently possess the last playoff spot in the East in 4th place), $6.25 Million dollars.Adu has 5 U21 caps, but hasn't made the jump yet to the big team.

DC Fans treat this calm and collectively..

Actually, they throw a shit fit, screaming that they should have gotten more for their freddy (who is now valued at $9.5 million so they may have a point!)
Old 11-11-2005, 10:50 PM   #40
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Time for the next edition of: Who Wants to buy a New England Revolution Player? (WWtbaNERP)

(I type that half joking, but I know that there will be at least one more player bid on.. god guys I'm doing good here, can you leave my players alone???

We miss a chance to put some big time difference between us and the rest of the East as we lose to the Columbus Crew 2-1, Khano SMith scoring our only goal.

Oop! There goes another offer

WWtbaNERP: French Ligue 1 side Bastia attempt to buy Sasha Victorine for 200K, 50K up front, the rest over 24 months. Let's make that 900K, I bet you don't want him that much, do you? You do.

Fuck.

Ok... talk to him. He just mentioned in the press how he loves it here..

What do you mean he accepted your offer..

*sighs*

well... Mr Kraft loves the fact that the Revs are making almost as much money as the Pats at this point.. but the fans are ready to strangle me I bet.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:57 PM   #41
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

We manage to stand firm on the pitch at least, trashing the Mutts 5-1 (thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it!) Khano Smith scored, Wolff scored 2, and Conor Casey scored his first two goals as a Rev. Total domination. We'll take it!

The MLS standings as of July 27th, 2007

Code:
| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | 1st | | New England | | 20 | 11 | 5 | 4 | 37 | 17 | +20 | 38 | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | 2nd | | Columbus | | 20 | 9 | 7 | 4 | 25 | 18 | +7 | 34 | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | 3rd | | MetroStars | | 20 | 7 | 8 | 5 | 30 | 30 | 0 | 29 | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | 4th | | D.C. United | | 20 | 6 | 8 | 6 | 24 | 22 | +2 | 26 | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | 5th | | Chicago | | 20 | 5 | 8 | 7 | 19 | 24 | -5 | 23 | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | 6th | | Kansas City | | 20 | 5 | 6 | 9 | 28 | 30 | -2 | 21 | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | 1st | | Los Angeles | | 20 | 8 | 8 | 4 | 32 | 25 | +7 | 32 | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | 2nd | | San Jose | | 20 | 9 | 2 | 9 | 30 | 32 | -2 | 29 | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | 3rd | | Salt Lake | | 20 | 6 | 8 | 6 | 23 | 26 | -3 | 26 | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | 4th | | FC Dallas | | 20 | 6 | 7 | 7 | 24 | 27 | -3 | 25 | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | 5th | | Chivas USA | | 20 | 6 | 4 | 10 | 21 | 32 | -11 | 22 | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | 6th | | Colorado | | 20 | 3 | 7 | 10 | 20 | 30 | -10 | 16 | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Old 11-11-2005, 11:10 PM   #42
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

As pretty much expected, Brian McBride announces that 2007 will be his last year, and that he will retire. Thankfully, he's back practicing fully so we have some depth at striker.

We continue to make contact with teams, and the second something is confirmed and happening with regards to transfers, you'll know about it
Old 11-11-2005, 11:25 PM   #43
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ouch, we're already down 1-0 in the 9th minute against Chicago when Sergio Flores gets sent off for throwing an elbow, and giving up a penalty. By the end of it, it's a 5-1 loss, and Flores (who gets a 4 rating), is lighter by 1 week in the paycheck.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 11-11-2005 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:47 PM   #44
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Flores accepts that he deserved the fine for his dismissal.

We manage to sign three players, one on a big money transfer, the other two on free transfers:

First is Panamanian youngster Cesar Aguilar.. he will join us on the first of september when his contract runs out

The big money transfer is from Nacional of Sao Paulo's Daniel Mendes. He'll cost us 1.9 million dollars, but I think he'll be just fine.

Finally, Ricardo Faty, a youngster I've been keeping an eye on for a while. He's a dual citizenship of French and Senegalese, and doesn't cost us anything. He had a bad year for French La Championnat team Pacy (5.82 rating, ow!), but I think he'll be just fine.

Faty and Daniel Mendes will join us in about two weeks, when the MLS transfer window opens

Last edited by SirFozzie : 11-11-2005 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:43 AM   #45
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

We play a lot of 2nd stringers in the US Open Cup fourth round match against DC united (we won the competition in 05), but theirs play better, and they bounce us out at the first hurdle, 2-0.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:17 AM   #46
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

We bounce back with a 2-1 win over KC at home (with Khano Smith scoring both goals), and then a 2-0 win (McBride and Khano scoring), that is momentous, because after the game, DC decides with 9 games to play, they need to make a change, and they fire Piotr Nowak. DC is currently one point OUT of the playoffs right now.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:42 AM   #47
MrBug708
Head Coach

FOz, try to sign the South African youngster. Mokena? He's young and he's a stud...
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 02:44 AM   #48
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

No one by that name in my database
Old 11-12-2005, 05:06 PM   #49
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

A 1-1 draw at home to LA (Conor Casey scoring the lone goal for us) cuts into our lead, Columbus is literally a point behind...

And then there was no difference, as we travel to Salt Lake, come back from a 1-0 deficit with goals from Daniel Mendes and a SPECIAL free kick from Daniel Hernandez, but then give up a penalty and another goal withing five minutes, and end up losinng 3-2. Damnit. Columbus drew, but we're level on points.. and guess we're going next?
Old 11-12-2005, 05:21 PM   #50
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

In the big game against Columbus, it's no score at half. Both teams have a feeling that they're playing not to lose, instead of to win.

I encourage them to step up and be counted in the second half. Great players make great plays.. are they great players?

I'll tell you who is a great player... Daniel Mendes. The 26 year old (who's already jumped in value to $3.2 million with us), comes out after halftime and scores his 2nd goal for us (in 2 games), with a diving header past the keeper and it's 1-0 Revs!

Columbus hits us on the counter, and boy is our defense way up field.. Buddle actually gets THREE shots at it.. save.. Post.. goal.. and with a half hour to play it's tied at 1!

With 20 minutes to go, we have a free kick. Hernandez could go for goal here, but it's a tight angle.. he swings the cross, a mess of people go up for it.. IT'S IN THE NET! It's in the net! 2-1 Revs!

I see a couple players look at each other like "Were you the one to get that one?".. it's only after the game when I review the tape that I see that Bryan Namoff accidentally headed the ball into his own net when trying to get his head on it to clear the cross out.

We look like the better side, the goal has taken it out of Columbus, despite the home fans cheering, and we are unlucky to have a third goal (from Mendes) called back on an offside..

But we'll definitely take the 2-1 win!