Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-10-2005, 04:52 PM   #601
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Whelp, before I head home, a voting I shall go. Just don't think Brian would go on a limb like that without reason, unless the wolves are more desperate than we think.

Vote Digamma
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:52 PM   #602
digamma
Torchbearer

Again, interesting the guy who stood up for not sacraficing villagers yesterday is leading people down the same path today.

All convenient, Brian. All very convenient.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:53 PM   #603
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oh yeah, I hope there aren't any late revelations as I'm about to head out with my wife to dinner and a movie. I won't be back before the voting deadline.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:53 PM   #604
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
In this scenario, we have both BrianD AND Fouts looking quite like Werewolves...not to mention whoever used the Potion on Fouts (would they be identified? I don't think so). Which do we choose? One after the other?

If this happens, go after me first.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:54 PM   #605
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy
Eagles, if you believe Henry talked to Digamma on the first day, then you should believe his info where he said Digamma had the Cloak. And he held onto this one-use item for two days, instead of trading for one of the above items. It doesn't sound like a wolf to me.

Hoops -- how do you acquire items in this game? By either A) stealing them, or B) having them passed to you. A requires a specific item that he doesn't have. B the player has absolutely NO control over. You can't "trade in" an item. This holds NO water to me, and I'm curious as to why you think what you do?
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:54 PM   #606
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
Again, interesting the guy who stood up for not sacraficing villagers yesterday is leading people down the same path today.

All convenient, Brian. All very convenient.

Yep, the same path of not sacrificing villagers.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:56 PM   #607
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Someone asked about the order of events for buying and activating items, so I thought I would post it in case anyone else is unclear.

After the lynch, things are dealt with in this manner:

Item passing

Item removal (not really a problem in this game)

Wolves eat someone

Activation phase, which goes in the order

Item activation
Item Purchase (you can't activate an item on the night you buy it)
Items are Stolen via the Lockpick or Gloves
Poisoned people die from lack of healing.

Hopefully that makes it clear.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:56 PM   #608
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Hoops -- how do you acquire items in this game? By either A) stealing them, or B) having them passed to you. A requires a specific item that he doesn't have. B the player has absolutely NO control over. You can't "trade in" an item. This holds NO water to me, and I'm curious as to why you think what you do?

For the record, you can also purchase items.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:58 PM   #609
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:

Note, I'm not trying to frame you or anything, I just want to understand where you're coming from. Normally you're pretty up front about things and have great insight -- I'm just not understanding this at all.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:58 PM   #610
hoopsguy
General Manager

Vince, if you have a marginal item you pass it. You then either collect silver or get another item passed.

There are some attractive items out there for purchase at a pretty low cost - Dart (3), Potion (2) just to name a couple that would be werewolf friendly. So why hold onto a marginal item?

I'm not backing Digamma because I talked with him today - in fact we have exchanged very few PMs and at no point did I commit to helping him with this. I'm backing him because I don't understand why a werewolf would hold onto this item. And once I reach the conclusion that Digamma is not a werewolf, the person accusing him of being one seems like a very good target.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:59 PM   #611
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
For the record, you can also purchase items.

I knew I was missing something

Duh. Chalk one up to Vince being a moron. Carry on, folks, nothing to see here...
Old 08-10-2005, 05:05 PM   #612
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Vince, if you have a marginal item you pass it. You then either collect silver or get another item passed.

There are some attractive items out there for purchase at a pretty low cost - Dart (3), Potion (2) just to name a couple that would be werewolf friendly. So why hold onto a marginal item?

I'm not backing Digamma because I talked with him today - in fact we have exchanged very few PMs and at no point did I commit to helping him with this. I'm backing him because I don't understand why a werewolf would hold onto this item. And once I reach the conclusion that Digamma is not a werewolf, the person accusing him of being one seems like a very good target.

Continuing the cross-examination after my idiocy is over...

Why not just use the cloak (single-use item) on day one and move on, rather than pass it? I know this backs up your argument (that Digamma isn't a wolf because he didn't do this), but I think what I'm getting caught up on is the 'he should pass it' statement that you've made consistently.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:06 PM   #613
RealDeal
High School Varsity

vote digamma

I don't feel great about this vote, but I don't know what else I can do with the info we have.
RealDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:08 PM   #614
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
If anyone uses the Potion on Fouts it is a wolf - there is zero upside for a villager to do this at this point in the game. If he is alive tomorrow without a villager vouching for him then I'm going to vote for him. No ifs, and, or buts.

I'm just worried about the scenario where Fouts is a wolf and is healed by wolf - in this case it won't matter if it is Potion or Ointment. But there are only three wolves, so hopefully this scenario would not come to pass. Best case is he is a villager healed by a villager using the Ointment to clear him.

You are climbing the suspect list very fast. Telling people not to heal me, when even Lathum said I was a villager that was misled. Combined with your trying to save digamma after somebody outs him as a known wolf puts you right behind digamma. If I didn't know better, I would think your neck was on the line. That is how hard you are defending him.

And FWIW, I don't think the cloak is a bad item to have.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:08 PM   #615
digamma
Torchbearer

You can vote for the real wolf, BrianD.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:10 PM   #616
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts
You are climbing the suspect list very fast. Telling people not to heal me, when even Lathum said I was a villager that was misled. Combined with your trying to save digamma after somebody outs him as a known wolf puts you right behind digamma. If I didn't know better, I would think your neck was on the line. That is how hard you are defending him.

And FWIW, I don't think the cloak is a bad item to have.

Again, I'm a "known" wolf based on one person saying so. No one can back up his claims.

He waited to come forward while potentially 3 villagers bit it.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:10 PM   #617
Fouts
College Starter

Let me add, the cloak isn't a bad item to have... for a wolf! That could come in real handy later.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:13 PM   #618
Vince
Pro Starter

And for the potential tri-dola (it's taken me a while to write this up, so I don't know anymore) --

Can we immediately implicate Fouts AND another person (Blade's target in the pass last night) if Fouts is cured by a potion of healing?

If Fouts is NOT a Werewolf...
1) He's going to die tonight unless saved. Wolves like this, as it's another villager dying.
2) If a wolf has a potion, and uses it to save Fouts, Fouts has a good chance of being voted off soon. ALSO, whoever Blade passed the potion to is implicated, so if they aren't a wolf either, the wolves now have TWO non-wolves who are targets for lynching in the coming days.
3) If a villager has a potion, and uses it to save Fouts (even if he is a villager), he's an idiot, and is screwing us over.

If Fouts IS a Wolf...
1) I see no play other than the other Wolves leaving him out to die, because saving him not only implicates him and wastes their item, but possibly implicates another wolf.
2) Unless, of course, none of them received the potion last night, and they can use it with impunity.

We are in a pretty sticky situation here
Old 08-10-2005, 05:15 PM   #619
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Let me add, the cloak isn't a bad item to have... for a wolf! That could come in real handy later.

Fouts, I also don't think the cloak is a terrible item for a wolf.

That being said, I think Hoopsguy has a point about villagers not healing you -- there are so many people who are suspicious of you that healing you with a potion rather than the ointment would be sort of a waste. I hate to leave someone I believe to be a villager out there if we have the chance to save them, but it would just confuse us further, I believe.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:18 PM   #620
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Here are the items I would prefer as a wolf to the Cloak of Whispers (one use item)
Gloves/Lockpick - steal from target
Guise - intercept pass from random
Hammer - destroy item
Ring - extra hidden vote
Coat - can't be lynched
Dagger - take away defense against wolves
Dart - wound villager
Holy Water - take away defense against wolves
Hood/Notebook - info on item. Target someone with good item unlikely to be passed or someone who appears vulnerable
Mask - wolf appears as villager
Ointment - heal self or another wolf, no role reveal if held
Potion - heal, no role reveal
Staff - hurt, plus no lynch that day

Eagles, if you believe Henry talked to Digamma on the first day, then you should believe his info where he said Digamma had the Cloak. And he held onto this one-use item for two days, instead of trading for one of the above items. It doesn't sound like a wolf to me.

I'm hoping I'm wrong, because it looks like Digamma is going to be lynched today. And I realize that if he is a wolf then I'm going to go through an awful lot of scrutiny. I'm willing to take that chance, I suppose, although going after me is not reducing wolf head count.

I would think the one item they would want and could have now is the Book of the Damned.

let's assume they all started w/ 1 silver. total 3 or the wolves.
night one - one wolf passes all items to the other two and gets a silver. They kill jeff who has at least 2 silver (one from ardent) total 6 silver at least after night 1.
night two- they purchase the book of the damned as the one with all the silver can do that.
night three - they convert one of us.

this is what I'm afraid of especially if fouts doesn't get saved and we linch a villager. then they have 4 wolves tomorrow and get a kill too!

edit: correct my first sentence as they could not have it yet, but could get it tonight.

Last edited by SnDvls : 08-10-2005 at 05:19 PM.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:20 PM   #621
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls
I would think the one item they would want and could have now is the Book of the Damned.

night one - one wolf passes all items to the other two and gets a silver. They kill jeff who has at least 2 silver (one from ardent) total 6 silver at least after night 1.
night two- they purchase the book of the damned as the one with all the silver can do that.

this is what I'm afraid of especially if fouts doesn't get saved and we linch a villager. then they have 4 wolves tomorrow and get a kill too!

edit: correct my first sentence as they could not have it yet, but could get it tonight.

Just to clarify this, it takes two readings of the Book to make a new wolf, the first reading of the Book turns a human into a sorceror, then the sorceror would have to read another book to turn into a wolf.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:20 PM   #622
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Fouts, I also don't think the cloak is a terrible item for a wolf.

That being said, I think Hoopsguy has a point about villagers not healing you -- there are so many people who are suspicious of you that healing you with a potion rather than the ointment would be sort of a waste. I hate to leave someone I believe to be a villager out there if we have the chance to save them, but it would just confuse us further, I believe.

So I am wasting my time here. Answer this for me. If Lathum said he had the mask when I viewed him as a wolf, wouldn't this make me a villager??

I'd like to know how this makes me a wolf. I really don't see any good reason for a villager letting a villager die (other than my not posting in this thread anymore). I do see why a wolf would let me die.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:20 PM   #623
Vince
Pro Starter

Well, I have to go get ready for work. Since I won't be back until late tonight...

I vote digamma. There is absolutely NO motivation (in my mind) for BrianD to make such an accusation if he is a werewolf. Therefore, I think he must be telling the truth.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:25 PM   #624
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls

This makes perfect sense--as such, why would I have kept my cloak? I would have gotten rid of it to start collecting silver.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:27 PM   #625
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
So I am wasting my time here. Answer this for me. If Lathum said he had the mask when I viewed him as a wolf, wouldn't this make me a villager??

I'd like to know how this makes me a wolf. I really don't see any good reason for a villager letting a villager die (other than my not posting in this thread anymore). I do see why a wolf would let me die.

I don't think you are a wolf. I'm pretty certain that you are a villager. But I think that if you survive, you will be one of the next two people voted off -- giving the wolves at least one more free day. The thought in a worst case scenario --

Lynch digamma (villager) -- 15-3
Poison Kills Fouts (villager) -- 14-3
Wolves kill XXX (villager) -- 13-3

If you survive...

Wolves Kill XXX (villager) -- 14-3
Lynch Fouts (villager) -- 13-3
Wolves Kill XXX (villager) -- 12-3

...or even worse...

Lynch BrianD (villager) -- 13-3
Lynch Fouts (villager) -- 11-3
Wolves Kill XXX (villager) -- 10-3

Now ignoring the fact that I don't think that both digamma and BrianD can be villagers -- this isn't exactly a great recipe for success. If you end up dying tonight, we have one more KNOWN quantity, and don't give the wolves another 'free' kill at night.

I'm never a fan of letting a good guy die -- but in this case, I think we sort of have to.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:28 PM   #626
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
Just to clarify this, it takes two readings of the Book to make a new wolf, the first reading of the Book turns a human into a sorceror, then the sorceror would have to read another book to turn into a wolf.

ah thanks I interperted it as a wolf could read from the book and then convert someone to a wolf..thanks
Old 08-10-2005, 05:28 PM   #627
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't think you are a wolf. I'm pretty certain that you are a villager. But I think that if you survive, you will be one of the next two people voted off -- giving the wolves at least one more free day. The thought in a worst case scenario --

Poison Kills Fouts (villager) -- 14-3
Wolves kill XXX (villager) -- 13-3

If you survive...

Lynch Fouts (villager) -- 13-3

...or even worse...

Lynch BrianD (villager) -- 13-3
Lynch Fouts (villager) -- 11-3
Wolves Kill XXX (villager) -- 10-3

Now ignoring the fact that I don't think that both digamma and BrianD can be villagers -- this isn't exactly a great recipe for success. If you end up dying tonight, we have one more KNOWN quantity, and don't give the wolves another 'free' kill at night.

I'm never a fan of letting a good guy die -- but in this case, I think we sort of have to.

Also note that I am saying this all about using a potion of healing to cure you. If someone has the ointment, please please please heal fouts with it.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:29 PM   #628
digamma
Torchbearer

Vince, you're leaving out the conversion possibility in your worst case scenario.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:30 PM   #629
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Vince, you're leaving out the conversion possibility in your worst case scenario.

But that would take TWO books. Which would take them another three or so days. Sure, that is the ultimate worst-case scenario, but I'd like to think we can get at least one wolf before then.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:32 PM   #630
SnDvls
Pro Starter

since my fear has been proven to take at least two more nights at the least

vote digamma
Old 08-10-2005, 05:32 PM   #631
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
But that would take TWO books. Which would take them another three or so days. Sure, that is the ultimate worst-case scenario, but I'd like to think we can get at least one wolf before then.

Or a cloak or a robe to tell the converted sorceror who the other two wolves were. Then they're all working together knowing identities. Almost the same thing.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:08 PM   #632
Raiders Army
Coordinator

So many posts since I left work and came home!

hoops...if you are human, I would implore you that it doesn't make sense that dig is a human. One sec while I find it...(pardon me for drinking a little after I"ve gotten home)
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:11 PM   #633
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Peregrine, if Digamma were passed a mask and then viewed in the same night, would he have known?

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:11 PM   #634
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Fouts, I know Digamma has the Cloak today. I don't know that he had it the whole time.

I don't know if Digamma had a mask - no one knows this other than Digamma. He maintains he did not, thus taking away the most basic villager defense against a villager accusation.

If you assume that Digamma did not have a mask, then one of two things is true:
1.) Digamma is a wolf
2.) BrianD is lying, which would very strongly suggest wolf

Working with these two ideas above, I tried to figure out why a wolf would keep the Cloak of Whispers instead of trading it for a more powerful item. I couldn't come up with a good reason. Thus my vote.

I'm suggesting that Brian, if he is a wolf, is picking someone more or less at random. And if he is a wolf, then I think he got a little bit unlucky picking Digamma, who just doesn't seem to fit the wolf profile based on my initial review.

There is a very good chance I'm wrong. And if I am then I'm going to generate suspicion. I accept that. But I'm not going to sit idly by while we are, I think, preparing to lynch the wrong guy.
Here it is. I spoke with someone today (who had the cloak of blah blah blah, whatever it was) via PM that I believe it is the wolves' best interest to let us off each other. I believe the best strategy for the wolves is to let us off ourselves while they lie in wait until our numbers are more manageable.

On that logic, it would be foolhardy for a wolf to go one for one. I realize that now (sorry Fouts, the Raiders thing got me last night), and I think you could see the logic in this. If BrianD is a wolf, he kills one villager. I can see in the endgame it being worth it, but right now? Doesn't make sense.

unvote maximus
vote digamma

R.I.P. you wolfie
Old 08-10-2005, 06:38 PM   #635
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Hey, why is this called Village of the Damned?
Old 08-10-2005, 06:42 PM   #636
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
Peregrine, if Digamma were passed a mask and then viewed in the same night, would he have known?

Yes, he would be aware that he was passed a mask and it was activated.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:42 PM   #637
kingfc22
Head Coach

Vote Digamma
Old 08-10-2005, 06:44 PM   #638
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Vote Digamma
And this is what I'm talking about. Laying low, etc.

Not saying you're a wolf, but this is what I'm talking about.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:44 PM   #639
Peregrine
Pro Starter

With 15 minutes to go, this one is pretty wrapped up:

Digamma - BrianD, ardent, MrBug708, eaglesfan27, fouts, henry296, Coffee Warlord, RealDeal, Vince, SnDvls, Raiders Army, kingfc22

BrianD - digamma, hoopsguy
Old 08-10-2005, 06:45 PM   #640
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'm fighting an uphill battle here - we'll see the answer in about twenty minutes. I would like to be wrong on Digamma because it would represent a win for the villagers.

But why would he hold onto the one-use cloak for two days, in order to invoke it on Day 3 as a wolf?

I don't think that the cloak is a useless item for a wolf, but I would think that a wolf would burn through it on the first day and then get new items either by pass or by purchase.

If you are with me that this makes zero sense, then you don't vote for Digamma. Then who do you vote for? BrianD is the one that made sense to me at this point. I'm obviously not doing a very good job of selling this notion since no one else has come along for the ride. I understand the sacrifice one today for a wolf tomorrow notion - heck, I was leading that bandwagon yesterday. But we lost a villager and the guy who we were planning to trade has now been 'darted'.

Fouts - I'm sorry if you are taking my disregard for your health in this game personally. I really would love to see you healed tonight by a villager with the ointment who will vouch for you on the board. And I'll try really hard at that point to believe you are both telling the truth and that the wolves weren't lucky enough to have the right item this early to save their wolf comrade.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:47 PM   #641
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Your refusal to change your vote makes me believe you're a wolf...just like how you acted in X-Com when we turned you.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:48 PM   #642
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Raiders Army Post #638
And this is what I'm talking about. Laying low, etc.

Not saying you're a wolf, but this is what I'm talking about.

This coming from the guy who was vote #11 on the Digamma bandwagon towards the guy who is #12?
Old 08-10-2005, 06:48 PM   #643
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Fouts - I'm sorry if you are taking my disregard for your health in this game personally. I really would love to see you healed tonight by a villager with the ointment who will vouch for you on the board. And I'll try really hard at that point to believe you are both telling the truth and that the wolves weren't lucky enough to have the right item this early to save their wolf comrade.

Not personally, just in game. I'd really like to be around to help defeat the wolves. Really out of my hands now though.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:49 PM   #644
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Raiders Army - post #641
just like how you acted in X-Com when we turned you

And your refusal to take a stand on anyone until your name is invoked is very much like your X-Com MO when you were an alien from the get-go.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:51 PM   #645
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
And your refusal to take a stand on anyone until your name is invoked is very much like your X-Com MO when you were an alien from the get-go.
Touche.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:51 PM   #646
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I say we play this rule set again.

Still bitter about missing out on a cool game .

I'd like to check out that X-Com one as well, that seemed cool at a glimpse.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:53 PM   #647
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
This coming from the guy who was vote #11 on the Digamma bandwagon towards the guy who is #12?
Technically I voted for maximus first. I voted late because I got home from work, played NCAA 2006, ate, and then thought about who to vote for. I'm sorry, but I'm going to play CoH soon with my TANK. Heh heh.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:53 PM   #648
hoopsguy
General Manager

If I were a wolf, I would be the biggest idiot in the world to stand alone behind Digamma as a wolf at this point.

X-Com was a different animal. We were one day from winning the game when Fouts switched sides. We were all outed in one fell swoop. I had to take a position and defend it or else our side was losing the game.

Here, I'm defending Digamma because I believe he is falsely accused. I don't think Digamma is a dumb werewolf player, but he would have acted in a way I don't consider logical if he does turn out to be a wolf.

Edited to use correct names - thanks for catch, RA.

Last edited by hoopsguy : 08-10-2005 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:54 PM   #649
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061

Long live the King!
Old 08-10-2005, 06:54 PM   #650
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061

I'm definitely thinking about running it again, probably with some new items, etc. I like the item setup, it's very flexible and different each time.