Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-14-2005, 08:27 AM   #201
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Nichols
I feel like I'm a warrior. The people of my color have gone through a lot.

Ah. So there it is.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:40 AM   #202
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
From Neal Nuze this morning. Priceless...

The chick guarding Nichols was 51?????

Gosh, can't imagine how he managed to overpower her.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:02 PM   #203
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
The chick guarding Nichols was 51?????

Gosh, can't imagine how he managed to overpower her.

And she was about 5'. He is about 6 feet 1 inch.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:27 PM   #204
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
And she was about 5'. He is about 6 feet 1 inch.

That's like me (5'2") trying to subdue Arlie (he's 6'4").

Anyone else laughing at that?
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 01:05 PM   #205
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
- TV movie in 3 months, books start rolling in six. Have to wait a year or more for any that try to accurately get to the root of what happened.
Dateline special during May Sweeps
Old 03-14-2005, 01:06 PM   #206
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
That's like me (5'2") trying to subdue Arlie (he's 6'4").

Anyone else laughing at that?

On this board, you think people are LAUGHING at the thought of you wrestling Arlie? You don't know these guys very well

My four thoughts on the Atlanta situation:

- It's been brought up in at least one article that extra security for this trial was specifically requested after they found the shanks on this guy the day before. One 5' 51-year-old-grandmother does not sound like extra security. I can understand typical complacency, but an event had already occurred that should have snapped them out of complacency on this one guy in particular.

- Can you see the lawsuits rolling in now that it turns out people weren't even watching the security cameras? Jobs will be lost and money made off the city over that one alone.

- Condolences to all involved. Several lives lost that had nothing to do with botching security at the courthouse. A true tragedy.

- TV movie in 3 months, books start rolling in six. Have to wait a year or more for any that try to accurately get to the root of what happened.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:22 PM   #207
hhiipp
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Nichols
I feel like I'm a warrior. The people of my color have gone through a lot.

Isn't this almost the same as the Barry Bonds quote from a few weeks ago?
hhiipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 02:17 PM   #208
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack

It will not take that long. Former Fulton Sherriff Jackie Barrett spent more time stealing money from the county (in the millions) than running her department, and when she was removed left it in a complete mess. The most apparent problem was the jail, and it has taken a lot of time, effort and attention to get that in function order. Meanwhile, with the focus of the leadership on the jail and getting its manpower up to snuff, security at the courthouse has been falling into ruin. Unfortunately, it took this to get anyones attention. I have a feeling now there is going to be a lot of over-hauling done on security procedures at the courthouse.

Last edited by HomerJSimpson : 03-14-2005 at 02:18 PM.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:58 PM   #209
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

There goes FBCB2...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 07:02 PM   #210
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

dola: Sorry, couldn't reisist with the coincidence (I keep picturing the Seinfeld episode "It's not him!!!")

I certainly hope that they begin securing people much better in the future. How did it seem like a good idea to have a 51 year old lady watching this guy?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 06:37 AM   #211
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Who was in charge of the early search? Well, it sounds like no one, really...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC
Who was in charge of search?
Atlanta police took over 1 hour after shootings
Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin acknowledged Wednesday that city police did not take control of the manhunt for Brian G. Nichols until about an hour after the start of the shooting spree at the Fulton County Courthouse that left a judge and two others dead.

In the aftermath of the rampage, law enforcement officials have not made clear which agency was in charge of the troubled and fruitless manhunt.

Brian G. Nichols surrendered 26 hours after the courthouse shootings.

Franklin responded about the city's role late Wednesday with a written statement that Franklin's staff took seven hours to draft.

"APD assumed the lead role in the investigation upon arrival at the Fulton County Courthouse at approximately 10:00 a.m.," the mayor's office said in a statement issued after 11 p.m.

The shooting began at about 9 a.m. Friday. The first carjacking attributed to Nichols outside the courthouse took place at 9:05 a.m., police said.

Franklin's statement went on to say that Atlanta police took the lead role after they were notified by phone "that the alleged perpetrator Brian Nichols had eluded sheriff's deputies after fatally wounding three victims and assaulting another."

Nichols then went on a carjacking spree, taking five vehicles during a flight from the courthouse to parking garages near Centennial Olympic Park. Nichols allegedly assaulted Atlanta Journal-Constitution reporter Don O'Briant at 9:20 a.m. while taking his green Honda.

Police warned the public throughout the day Friday to watch out for the Honda, broadcasting its description and tag number. But the car was found in the same garage later that night, and police later said Nichols had slipped out of the garage on foot and taken MARTA to Buckhead.

It's unclear when Nichols boarded the train, but a Journal-Constitution employee says she saw a man who looked like him walking down Marietta Street toward the Five Points MARTA station between 9:30 a.m. and 10 a.m.

Had Nichols been arrested that morning, U.S. Customs agent David Wilhelm might still be alive. Authorities said Nichols killed him in Buckhead Friday night. Nichols surrendered to Gwinnett County police Saturday morning.

Although police allowed Nichols to leave the downtown area, Atlanta officials have withheld criticism all week.

"I think APD did an incredible job, as did all law enforcement, and I'm greatly relieved by the outcome," Franklin said Monday.

Even so, she said it was too soon to begin assessing the police department's performance. "Until there is an evaluation and debriefing of the action, I think it's premature to assess what happened and what didn't happen," she said.

Asked how much time she would give Police Chief Richard Pennington to evaluate the police response, Franklin said, "as much time as he needs." She quickly added: "This is a 34-year veteran, an experienced chief."

The statement, issued by Franklin's deputy chief of staff, Sandra Walker, quotes the mayor as saying: "At this point, there is nothing more important than ensuring that we develop a solid, factually accurate case. It is imperative that we provide the district attorney the information needed to effectively and fairly prosecute the case. In terms of the actions of law enforcement agencies, Chief Pennington and his team will focus their attention on who did what, when they did it, how they did it, and why they did it at the appropriate time."
Old 03-17-2005, 06:42 AM   #212
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Who was in charge of the early search? Well, it sounds like no one, really...

I would say that again is a failure of the Sherriff's department. They would be in charge of the courthouse, and it would be up to them to ask for immediate help from the Atlanta Police (who would have the manpower to actually hunt for the killer).
Old 03-31-2005, 06:35 AM   #213
Ben E Lou

Unfathomably, this story just keeps getting worse. From this morning's AJC...

Quote:
Nichols' mother sent warning
Quote:
E-mail suggested he might turn violent at rape trial

Weeks before the Fulton County Courthouse shootings, sheriff's officials received an e-mailed message from the mother of alleged killer Brian Nichols expressing concern that her son could become violent in court if he was convicted of a rape charge, officials said Wednesday.

Chief Deputy Michael Cooke said his office received word of the message during Nichols' first rape trial, which ended in a mistrial Feb. 28. Nichols is accused of erupting during his second trial on the same charges on March 11 and launching a killing spree that left four dead.

Nichols' mother, Claritha Nichols, wrote that she was worried that "if the verdict did not go his [Nichols'] way, he would try to act out in court and take someone's weapon," Cooke said.

Cooke said the Sheriff's Department took the warning seriously.

"We were fully expecting that he was going to react violently to the verdict, if there was a verdict," Cooke said. "We were prepared to have staff available [in the courtroom], which we typically do during any high-profile trial or trial where there is any indication that there is going to be any type of acting out."

The e-mail wasn't the first warning the Sheriff's Department received about Nichols. Two days before the shootings, deputies taking Nichols to court found door hinges modified into homemade knives and hidden in his shoes. Nichols' former cellmate also has said that he filed with jail officials two written reports expressing concerns about Nichols' behavior.

Nevertheless, Nichols was left alone with a 51-year-old female deputy, whom he overpowered on his way to the courtroom during his second trial. He is accused of fatally shooting a judge, a court reporter and a deputy he encountered as he fled. He also is accused of killing a U.S. customs agent after escaping from downtown Atlanta.

Claritha Nichols, who is working as a consultant in Africa, sent her warning in an e-mail to the pastor of an Atlanta area church. Cooke said he didn't know the name of the pastor or the church.

It is unclear what led Nichols' mother to send the message, but a transcript of the first trial shows that she had received troubling e-mails last summer from the woman he is accused of raping. The woman's e-mails suggested that Nichols could turn violent.

The pastor passed the message to Sgt. Jerome Dowdell, a member of his congregation who works for the Sheriff's Department. Dowdell then provided the information to a detention officer, Cooke said. It was relayed to three more members of the sheriff's staff, including the deputy assigned to Judge Rowland Barnes' courtroom, Grantley White.

"He [Dowdell] did what was logical," Cooke said. "He related [the warning] to the court staff."

Dowdell refused to comment Wednesday.

Barry Hazen, Nichols' lawyer during the rape trials, said he was never told of the mother's warning. "I'm flabbergasted," Hazen said Wednesday. "If they [sheriff's officials] knew about some kind of explosive behavior and did nothing about it, that makes me even angrier. We rely on them for our protection. They have a duty to us to do something about it."

Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard said he also was troubled to learn about the warning for the first time Wednesday — a month after the warning was given to deputies. He said he immediately called Fulton Sheriff Myron Freeman.

"He told the sheriff he expected a full and complete accounting of what the concern was and, further, why we were not informed at the time," said Erik Friedly, Howard's spokesman. "The sheriff has indicated he will give him these answers in a report next week."

Because of these concerns, the Sheriff's Department assigned additional security for Nichols trial, but the shooting took place before the scheduled trial starting time that day, before additional deputies reached the courtroom.

Nichols is being held in the Fulton County Jail. He is expected to be indicted in the murder of Barnes, who presided over both his rape trials. Court reporter Julie Brandau and sheriff's Sgt. Hoyt Teasley also were shot dead. U.S. customs agent David Wilhelm was killed hours later.

Doris Downs, the chief judge of Fulton County Superior Court, said Wednesday that the shootings have shaken everyone's confidence in courthouse security.

"I think you can say we were all too comfortable and casual," she said. "I am confident security has improved. I am certain it will reach a level we are comfortable with."

Freeman has ordered an internal investigation into possible security breakdowns and procedures that might have allowed the shootings. His report is expected by the middle of next week.

At the same time, Fulton judges will select, possibly as soon as Friday, a security expert from the three finalists of seven who submitted bids to do a security assessment of the courthouse. Downs said she did not know how long it would take to complete.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:52 AM   #214
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just in case anybody might be wondering how such a large county ended up with such an apparent nitwit as Sheriff ...

http://www.ourgeorgiahistory.com/chronpop/224
Basically, the originally elected sheriff was murdered in a conspiracy led by the man he defeated.

So, the second choice gets elected to fill the vacancy
http://www.ajc.com/monday/content/ep...a012f10a2.html

Talk to some "regular people" (i.e. non-politicians) who knew Freeman during his GSP career & you get a pretty good understanding of how he got where he is today. Let's just say they aren't exactly complimentary of his law enforcement (or mental) capabilities. But he's a heck of an ass-kisser from what I gather.

Certainly, no guarantees that Derwin Brown would have been any better ... but I bet I'm not the only person who has wondered what-might-have-been in the past couple of weeks.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:56 AM   #215
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Good grief - is Atlanta the Dodge City of the 21st century? Should we call the National Guard in?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 09:01 AM   #216
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Just in case anybody might be wondering how such a large county ended up with such an apparent nitwit as Sheriff ...

http://www.ourgeorgiahistory.com/chronpop/224
Basically, the originally elected sheriff was murdered in a conspiracy led by the man he defeated.

So, the second choice gets elected to fill the vacancy
http://www.ajc.com/monday/content/ep...a012f10a2.html

Talk to some "regular people" (i.e. non-politicians) who knew Freeman during his GSP career & you get a pretty good understanding of how he got where he is today. Let's just say they aren't exactly complimentary of his law enforcement (or mental) capabilities. But he's a heck of an ass-kisser from what I gather.

Certainly, no guarantees that Derwin Brown would have been any better ... but I bet I'm not the only person who has wondered what-might-have-been in the past couple of weeks.

Derwin Brown was to be sheriff in DeKalb County. I think the second article is about Fulton County, where the courthouse shootings took place.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 09:05 AM   #217
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
Derwin Brown was to be sheriff in DeKalb County. I think the second article is about Fulton County, where the courthouse shootings took place.

I think my brain just cross-wired. Never sleep too little, work, and throw a quick post up all in close proxmity to each other.

Thx for the straightening, I was just brain cramped I guess.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-31-2005 at 09:05 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 09:27 AM   #218
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Good grief - is Atlanta the Dodge City of the 21st century? Should we call the National Guard in?

We can't - they're all in Iraq.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 09:29 AM   #219
CraigSca
Pro Starter

You're welcome for the fat pitch, Flere.
how do you know?

Old 09-09-2005, 11:28 PM   #220
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/12603776.htm

ATLANTA - Months after a shooting rampage left three dead at the Fulton County Courthouse, exasperated judges said that security cameras still haven't been plugged in and faulty doors have yet to be replaced.

A task force charged with making security recommendations after the shooting also said Friday that the number of sworn officers assigned to the courthouse must be increased by roughly a third to secure the downtown Atlanta building.

The findings prompted outcry from members of the panel angry at the county's cumbersome bureaucracy, which has been slow to react to the March 11 shootings despite repeated urgings from the task force.

"A shooting of a judge - how more squeaky of a wheel can there be?" said Fulton County State Court Judge Penny Brown Reynolds, a member of the panel.

"Here we are months later and we're talking about the same things," she said. "We can't get a definite answer as to whether cameras are working or whether they received our request. There's a breakdown somewhere."

At a July meeting, panel member Richard Pennington, the Atlanta Police Chief, said dozens of work orders to repair malfunctioning security cameras, busted parking garage gates and faulty doors were ignored. Courthouse officials made 34 requests to repair malfunctioning alarms, for instance, but only 12 requests were acknowledged.

Pennington said maintenance workers still haven't responded to the panel's requests for an explanation. At the same time, the sheriff's department has repeatedly failed to attend weekly meetings with the agency that oversees the repairs. Four of the last six meetings scheduled between the two departments have been canceled by the sheriff's department, said Superior Court Judge T. Jackson Bedford, a member of the panel.

"A fire needs to be lit under somebody," Bedford said.

Even so, DeKalb County Sheriff Thomas Brown, a member of the panel, recommended giving Fulton County Sheriff Myron Freeman more authority to directly hire sheriff's staffers, rather than go through the county's personnel department.

A panel report recommended that 314 sworn officers should be assigned to the courthouse - a significant increase from the 200 to 235 officers now working in the building. Part of the problem, Brown said, is that sheriff's officials must wade through daunting red tape to fill vacancies.

"There is no way to easily fill the positions. That's the way the bureaucracy was designed," Brown said with a sigh.

Ultimately, the task force's recommendations will be in the hands of Freeman, who was besieged by calls for his resignation after the deadly shootings.

Brian Nichols, who was on trial on a rape charge, is accused of shooting Superior Court Judge Rowland Barnes and court reporter Julie Ann Brandau in the courthouse and sheriff's Sgt. Hoyt Teasley outside the courthouse. A fourth victim, federal agent David Wilhelm, was killed at his home later in the day.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:27 AM   #221
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Pennington said maintenance workers still haven't responded to the panel's requests for an explanation. At the same time, the sheriff's department has repeatedly failed to attend weekly meetings with the agency that oversees the repairs. Four of the last six meetings scheduled between the two departments have been canceled by the sheriff's department, said Superior Court Judge T. Jackson Bedford, a member of the panel.

And people wonder why this crap happens...

Anyone else think it's time for someone in Atlanta to clean house? Where's the outrage? For people in Atlanta - are the news networks covering this?
how do you know?

Old 09-10-2005, 11:28 AM   #222
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
And people wonder why this crap happens...

Anyone else think it's time for someone in Atlanta to clean house? Where's the outrage? For people in Atlanta - are the news networks covering this?

I feel like it's pretty much an afterthought in a lot of ways. This got less play in the AJC for example, than an addition to the new downtown aquarium.

Here's a look at the headlines, you can see where this ranked.

MORE HEADLINES

• Ophelia a hurricane again | Path | • Perdue signs gas bills
• Panel: Security still lax at courthouse | • Shopper takes on Wal-Mart
• Dog shot with arrow; teen charged | • Sculpture dedicated to Lewis

This reminds me of a great story that I read a few years ago, that started with a parable frequently used by a local political analyst to describe Atlanta city government. (if anybody can find this, I'd be indebted, I've lost my link to the actual quote). I'll have to paraphrase.

A young man of about 18 goes to a fortune teller & asks about his future.
She peers into her crystal ball and gravely tells him that his 20's were sure to be full of misery & woe, lost jobs, lost love, poor health. And that his 30's were even worse, with personal & financial ruin time & again, he would find himself suffering in complete misery. Desparate for some glimmer of hope, he asks "What about in my 40's". She replies "Eh, it won't be as bad. By then, you'll be used to it".

That pretty much sums up the situation with a lot of county government around Atlanta. It's been so bad for so long, people don't seem to notice as much as you might think, basically they've gotten used to it.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:13 AM   #223
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metr...26nichols.html

Judges maintain little work done on courthouse security

By RHONDA COOK, BETH WARREN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 09/26/05

Fulton County Superior Court Judge T. Jackson Bedford Jr. walked from a first-floor public hallway at the downtown county courthouse into a restricted area leading to his colleagues' offices.

After passing a desk where an unarmed civilian security officer sat, Bedford and a visitor approached Courtroom 1C from the back. The door was unlocked.

"Look at the first floor," the frustrated judge said as he opened the door and looked over his shoulders to the area he had just passed. "It's wide open."

It was through a similar unlocked door on March 11 that authorities say Brian Nichols entered Judge Rowland Barnes' courtroom and fatally shot him and his court reporter, Julie Ann Brandau.

Since that time Bedford and others, including a security commission formed by Sheriff Myron Freeman, say little has changed to make the courthouse safe.

But Sheriff's Maj. Antonio Johnson, who has been in charge of courthouse security since last month, said there have been improvements in security in the six months since the killings, which included the deaths of a deputy sheriff and later a U.S. Customs agent.

"They [judges] have a right to have concerns, and I'm trying to make sure their concerns are not overlooked," Johnson said. "I'm going to do everything I can" to make the building secure.

Progress claimed

Bedford said judges have been lobbying the Sheriff's Department and county for more than a year to install a locked door leading to the judges' offices, where magistrates and one Superior Court judge work.

"We've been told that's in the works," Bedford said.

Johnson and county officials say Fulton is spending $750,000 to improve security, and much is in the works, including the installation of cameras and more secure doors, and retraining of deputies.

According to Johnson, courtrooms on each floor have been wired to provide electricity to surveillance cameras that are being installed, although only cameras on the first floor are working. Camera connections remain to be completed in 12 courtrooms.

The cameras would transmit images to a larger control room, which would replace the current station. Deputies also will have larger monitors to watch courthouse activity.

Johnson said 25 of the 63 doors to inmate cells in the courthouse have been retrofitted with trap doors so deputies can handcuff inmates without coming in contact with them. A deputy was removing Nichols' handcuffs when he allegedly overpowered her, got her gun and began his shooting spree.

Johnson said three steel doors are removed each day and sent out to have slots cut into them. He said work on all of the doors should be completed in October.

He said Bedford's concerns about open areas leading to some first-floor judges' chambers will be addressed as soon as the Atlanta Fire Department approves adding a wall and locked door to an area that is now a fire escape route.

X-ray machines at the courthouse's two main entrances have been replaced with new technology and duress buttons for judges and court staff have been "revamped . . . and are all operational," Johnson said. Exit doors leading from the courthouse on the Pryor Street side of the judicial complex have been reinforced.

Freeman said he routinely will rotate deputies from posts throughout the courthouse to keep them from becoming complacent. He was referring to concerns that deputies were following orders from judges instead of their superiors.

"When I hear a judge tell me 'my deputy' that tells me I have a problem," Freeman said. "The Secret Service always rotates staff . . . so you don't get so familiar, so you don't get involved. You've got to be able to do your job and do it effectively and efficiently. Sometimes you can't do your job well if you're too emotionally involved."

State Court Judge Henry Newkirk, a member of Freeman's task force, said he has noticed increased security in the parking area — a new fence has been installed for judges — and inside the courthouse.

"I feel very safe coming in the courthouse," Newkirk said. "I think there's a very good presence of deputy sheriffs within the courthouse. There's always room for improvement, and I hope things continue to progress."Infighting blamed

Cherokee County Sheriff Roger Garrison, who serves on the subcommittee that reviewed three previous security audits of courtroom security as well as requests for repairs, said he's not sure who is right.

"I would have to defer to the judges on the commission and the people who work inside the Fulton County Courthouse day in and day out," Garrison said. "They are the ones telling us, 'No, these things are not done.' "

Atlanta police Chief Richard Pennington, who heads the task force's subcommittee assigned to building security and repairs, has said repeatedly that courthouse safety has been compromised by bureaucratic power struggles and communication problems between the judges, the Sheriff's Department and the county's General Services Department, which maintains the building and is responsible for seeing that repairs are done.

But Friday, a spokeswoman for Pennington said the chief was briefed several days ago on the status of work and was told most of the problems had been fixed.

Johnson, who replaced Maj. Orlando Whitehead as head of security after Freeman forced Whitehead to retire, contended the Sheriff's Department would make sure improvements are made.

"We're going to work with everybody," Johnson said. "My job is to get the job done. Unfortunately, some things take a while."

Courtroom 1C, which Judge Bedford found unlocked, is the same courtroom where Nichols' pretrial hearings are held. He has pleaded not guilty to charges he murdered Barnes, Brandau, Deputy Hoyt Teasley and customs agent David Wilhelm. He could be sentenced to die if he is convicted of any of the four killings.

For Bedford, who lost a close friend in the courthouse shootings, the slow delay in improvements is worrisome.

"I just have an overwhelming sense of sadness," Bedford said Friday as he pointed to a picture of Barnes on his desk. "We're just trying to prevent it from happening again."
Old 09-27-2005, 10:09 AM   #224
Ben E Lou

Seems that Saint Ashley had a little ice in her apartment that fateful night. The big speculation at the UGA boards back then was "Did he hit it?" Hmmmmm.....

Quote:
Ashley Smith frank about her flaws in new book
She gave Brian Nichols meth to put alleged killer at ease

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 09/27/05 Ashley Smith, the woman held hostage for hours after the March 11 Fulton County Courthouse shootings, reveals in a book released today that she gave alleged gunman Brian Nichols drugs on the night he held her captive.

Smith, 27, was thrust into a national media spotlight after talking her way out of Nichols' captivity and then calling police. In "Unlikely Angel: The Untold Story of the Atlanta Hostage Hero," Smith shares details of her seven-hour ordeal as a hostage in her Duluth apartment, and for the first time tells of giving Nichols drugs.

MOST POPULAR STORIES

EMAIL THIS
PRINT THIS
MOST POPULAR
Nichols asked her for marijuana, she writes, but she had only a small amount of crystal methamphetamine. She thought offering him the drug might curry favor, but she says she refused to take the drug with him.

"I was not going to die tonight and stand before God, having done a bunch of ice up my nose," she writes.

Today, Smith will talk to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution about her book, her drug battles and her life since her hostage ordeal. A full interview will run in Wednesday's Living section.

Smith's book, the 272-page "Unlikely Angel" (co-written with Stacy Mattingly), goes on sale today. Publisher William Morrow reports a first printing of 400,000 copies, an ambitious number for a memoir by anyone who is not a celebrity or a national politician.

Smith is scheduled to appear on Oprah Winfrey's talk show Wednesday and then will begin a publicity tour that will bring her to Atlanta on Oct. 10, for a book signing at Chapter 11 bookstore at Peachtree Battle Shopping Center.

Here are a few excerpts from "Unlikely Angel":

• On Brian Nichols:

"He was bare-chested underneath his blazer. His pecs were rippling in between the black lapels; and seeing where the jacket seams hit his shoulders, I could tell just how broad those shoulders really were. I know I'm in good shape, but man, if this guy comes at me, I'll never have a chance to fight him off."

• On what she said to Nichols:

"Nobody else needs to get hurt, dude. And if you don't turn yourself in, somebody else will get hurt. You'll keep going and you'll kill more people and you'll probably die too."

• On what Nichols said to her:

"You know, Ashley, I wish I would've met you at a different time and under different circumstances. We could've been friends."

• On her battle with drugs:

"I haven't touched drugs since walking out of my apartment on March 12. . . . . Initially I did not volunteer the information about the drugs [that she gave Nichols]. . . . I was afraid. Later I came forward and shared the details about the drugs with the appropriate authorities, but I regret not having done so at the very beginning. I remember what Jesus said: The truth will set you free. That's how I want to live my life — I want to be an honest person and experience the freedom that goes with it."

• On her faith:

"Instead of running away from God's voice, now I seek it and try to learn from his words. . . . I still pray all the time for the friends I knew in the drug scene. . . . I pray that what has happened in my life will impact them in some way. I want them to know that God loves them no matter what they've done."
Old 09-27-2005, 10:17 AM   #225
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
• On Brian Nichols:

"He was bare-chested underneath his blazer. His pecs were rippling in between the black lapels; and seeing where the jacket seams hit his shoulders, I could tell just how broad those shoulders really were. I know I'm in good shape, but man, if this guy comes at me, I'll never have a chance to fight him off."

I think I am going to puke...were they trying to write an account of what happened, or a Fabio-esque bodice ripper???? Blech!
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:22 AM   #226
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
I think I am going to puke...were they trying to write an account of what happened, or a Fabio-esque bodice ripper???? Blech!
That quote in particular was fodder for the little something in my gut that thought from early on, "She did him."
Old 09-27-2005, 10:30 AM   #227
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
That quote in particular was fodder for the little something in my gut that thought from early on, "She did him."

Ewwww! I had never even thought of that, but now I can't get the visual out of my mind!!!!! Thanks a lot!
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:31 AM   #228
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
I wouldn't doubt it if she did...the guy was a natural charmer. Even in that kind of circumstance, I could see where someone would be taken by him.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:32 AM   #229
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
Ewwww! I had never even thought of that
Heh. Based on her comments about their level of trust and interaction, I wondered about it from the start, and it was the subject of a lot of debate for several days at one UGA board.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:59 AM   #230
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

This also explain why she didn't have custody of the kid.

Homer: Who-hoo! Four day weekend!!
Old 09-27-2005, 11:59 AM   #231
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Heh. Based on her comments about their level of trust and interaction, I wondered about it from the start, and it was the subject of a lot of debate for several days at one UGA board.

It was also the subject of quite a bit of speculation here at my house. It just seemed so obvious.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:06 PM   #232
moriarty
College Starter

Don't you think if she did ride him she'd include it in her book to maximize sales and capitalize on her 5 minutes of fame? I mean crystal meth isn't cheap and she has to fund her habit ... oh, sure she's "clean" now.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:08 PM   #233
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Don't you think if she did ride him she'd include it in her book to maximize sales and capitalize on her 5 minutes of fame? I mean crystal meth isn't cheap and she has to fund her habit ... oh, sure she's "clean" now.
If she were to admit it, wouldn't that set herself up for a charge of aidin' and abettin'? Plus, she's pretty, uh, white-trashy. If it happened, I'd say that there's a better than even chance that she wouldn't want her friends and family to know.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:13 PM   #234
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
If she were to admit it, wouldn't that set herself up for a charge of aidin' and abettin'? Plus, she's pretty, uh, white-trashy. If it happened, I'd say that there's a better than even chance that she wouldn't want her friends and family to know.

She could claim "stockholm syndrome".
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:15 PM   #235
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
She could claim "stockholm syndrome".
Good point. Or, she could claim that she was just trying to get him to fall asleep afterward.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 09-27-2005 at 02:15 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:40 PM   #236
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
If she were to admit it, wouldn't that set herself up for a charge of aidin' and abettin'?

How would nailing him be aiding and abetting? It's no different than providing him with drugs, is it?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:42 PM   #237
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I just want to know what the over/under line is on how long it'll be before she's arrested for either a drug charge or something connected to another bad-choice boyfriend.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:43 PM   #238
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Of course, he could have just raped her.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:43 PM   #239
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
How would nailing him be aiding and abetting? It's no different than providing him with drugs, is it?

Agreed. I actually would think providing him with drugs would be worse legally. Though I do agree with Ben on the thought she might just didn't want to face her family if she admitted to sex.

Old 09-27-2005, 02:52 PM   #240
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I know nothing about how the law would work in this case. I was merely wondering if she might be worried that if she admitted that she gave him drugs, had sex with him and fed him all without being directly asked or forced, she might be seen as an ally of his. {shrug}

My suspicions are further stoked by the drug revelation specifically because I'm wondering why she didn't just lie to him. This conversation is just a little hard to imagine:

Admitted Mass Murderer: "You got any reefer?"

Unwilling, Fearful Captive: "No, but I've got some ice. You want that?"

She doesn't come across as the sharpest knife in the drawer by any means, but I'm having a hard time fathoming how she thought that geting him high would help make her more safe.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:02 PM   #241
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I know nothing about how the law would work in this case. I was merely wondering if she might be worried that if she admitted that she gave him drugs, had sex with him and fed him all without being directly asked or forced, she might be seen as an ally of his. {shrug}

My suspicions are further stoked by the drug revelation specifically because I'm wondering why she didn't just lie to him. This conversation is just a little hard to imagine:

Admitted Mass Murderer: "You got any reefer?"

Unwilling, Fearful Captive: "No, but I've got some ice. You want that?"

She doesn't come across as the sharpest knife in the drawer by any means, but I'm having a hard time fathoming how she thought that geting him high would help make her more safe.

Especially on meth. It is not a "calming" drug.

Old 09-27-2005, 03:08 PM   #242
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

I could turn her around, I could make her a better person... oh wait...

Never mind guys, got that "feminine side" under control... Won't be getting in touch with it again, anytime soon...

But she is hot in a trashy sort or way. Why couldn't she just do Penthouse like every other not-so-famous, not-so-hot personality?

-Chas
Old 09-27-2005, 04:27 PM   #243
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hey baby... have any fugitive in you?
Old 09-28-2005, 10:12 AM   #244
digamma
Torchbearer

Has she admitted to being a stripper yet?

That was my first thought last spring when she said she "got home from work" about 2 AM.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:15 AM   #245
JeeberD
General Manager

Yup, no one but strippers work late nights...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:46 AM   #246
colt45
n00b

what's the over/under on the book proceeds going to a brand new meth lab named "angel dust" in atlanta?
colt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:50 AM   #247
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Yup, no one but strippers work late nights...
Perhaps worded incorrectly, but spare me the rolly eyes.

Point is there was a "there's something not quite right about this one vibe."

Last edited by digamma : 09-28-2005 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:40 PM   #248
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...arnessuit.html

Attorneys representing the widow of a judge fatally gunned down in his courtroom sent written notice today to county officials that a wrongful death lawsuit will be filed soon.

The notice, sent to the Fulton County manager, commission chair and Sheriff Myron Freeman, warns that the suit will single out the sheriff's employees who violated departmental policies and failed to protect Superior Court Judge Rowland Barnes and others.
When he was killed, Barnes was overseeing a civil case without an armed deputy in the courtroom — something the Barnes' family attorneys says is a violation of Georgia law.

The notice names Capt. Chelisa Lee, an 18-year sheriff's department veteran who failed to pass along information about the discovery of metal in Nichols' shoes and failed to assign additional security to Nichols. Investigators say Lee lied to cover up for her inaction. She was one of several employees fired or forced to retire in August.

Lee, who is appealing her firing, had sent a subordinate to get her breakfast at a time when the subordinate was supposed to be monitoring security cameras around the courthouse. Neither security specialist Alphonzo Wright nor deputy Paul Tamer were at their posts in the video control room when Deputy Cynthia Hall, who was escorting Nichols, was overpowered, investigators said. The investigators also found that the video monitoring equipment had not been activated for that day.

Wright and Tamer are also named in the notice as targets of the upcoming lawsuit. So is Maj. Orlando Whitehead, who was in command of courthouse security. Whitehead, a 17-year department veteran, retired in August in lieu of being fired.

"Another of the most culpable officers is Lt. Gary Reid," the notice of an expected suit claims. "As a direct result of Reid's abuse of sick leave, there was a critical under-staffing in the area immediately surrounding Judge Barnes' office and courtroom."

Reid, an 18-year sheriff's department veteran, received a 20-day suspension and no longer works at the courthouse. He had no comment on the allegations against him.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:49 PM   #249
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not directly related to the courthouse shooting, but close enough that the hits just keep on coming ...

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/12885927.htm
Georgia deputy arrested in Alabama on cocaine charge
MOBILE, Ala. - A Fulton County, Ga., sheriff's lieutenant who works as a supervisor at the county jail has been arrested and charged in Alabama with trafficking cocaine, authorities said Wednesday.

Dwayne Turner, 40, of Jonesboro, Ga., was arrested by FBI agents and Mobile County sheriff's deputies on Tuesday, FBI special agent in charge Debra K. Mack said in a statement.

Turner, who was suspended from the sheriff's department 15 months ago for authorizing a rap video in the jail, was arrested in the parking lot of a restaurant near the intersection of Interstate 85 and East Avenue in Montgomery.

A criminal complaint against Turner was filed Oct. 5 before U.S. Magistrate Judge William E. Cassady in Mobile, charging Turner with conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute cocaine.

The complaint resulted from a joint probe by the Mobile County sheriff's office and the FBI in Mobile, the statement said.

If convicted, Turner could be sentenced to a maximum 40 years in prison and a $2 million fine.

Sgt. Nikita Hightower, a spokeswoman for Fulton County Sheriff Myron Freeman, said the drug case was unrelated to the jail. Hightower said an internal investigation would be launched and that Turner, an employee since 1991, probably would be suspended indefinitely once all the information was received from the FBI.

She said the department first learned of the investigation against Turner when he was arrested.

According to the FBI affidavit, a man arrested in April with about a half-pound of cocaine identified Turner as a supplier of both cocaine and marijuana, which the informant said he sold in the Mobile area.

The informant, whose name was blacked out in a copy of the affidavit obtained by The Associated Press, arranged a meeting with Turner at a Montgomery restaurant on Oct. 4. There, the informant purchased a Zip-Loc plastic bag of about 4 ounces of cocaine for $3,000, the affidavit indicated.

In the summer of 2004, former Fulton County Sheriff Jackie Barrett suspended Turner and three other deputies for their roles in allowing rapper Clifford Harris, known as T.I., to use a maximum security cell, guards and inmates as props for a video.

Barrett at first fired Turner, but Hightower said the termination was reduced to a suspension.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:51 PM   #250
Logan
Head Coach

I love TI.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote