Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-06-2020, 04:40 PM   #1
AlexB
Pro Starter

Fantasy Football general thread 2020

I’m not sure I’ve ever read a more damning sentence in my life than this gem in my CBS draft summary...

Quote:
Black Hole Sons have the best running backs in the league. Coach Gareth Kelly can trot out Saquon Barkley and Derrick Henry into the starting lineup. Meanwhile, you are slated to bring up the rear in that area, having to rely on Marlon Mack and Malcolm Brown.

AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:59 PM   #2
molson
General Manager

I do like how sassy AI draft evaluators are.

Though, to get the best draft grade, all you have to do is draft strictly according to that site's rankings. Just like how real NFL draft grades are just whoever picks closest in compliance with the published mock drafts.

I assumed I wouldn't be doing fantasy football this year, but, I jumped in last minute. Things seem a lot more normal than they did when baseball started. All in all, sports seem to be doing better than they were a month or two ago in terms of positive test chaos.

Last edited by molson : 09-06-2020 at 05:00 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:59 PM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

Have a draft tonight, a few days ago we voted to change structure a bit in anticipation of potential COVID interruptions. We're going to be best ball this season, with 18 roster slots rather than 15, but still allow free agency and trading. Most of the online stuff about best ball I have found seems to conflate the core best ball concept "your best players start" with the accompanying notion of "hands off league, draft and no more decisions" which seems to lump a lot of strategy all together, in appropriately.

My thinking, in a nutshell, is - with just the "best players start every week" is:

-multiple active players at every position every week (no kicker league, yay)

-bump up the ranking of boom/bust guys like big-play receivers, but just a smidge

-idea of throwing multiple darts at a position like RB or TE seems more viable in this format

Any other takeaways from those who have played something similar?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #4
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Me: "Ooooh, what's Fantasy Football General?"
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:11 PM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

i like it
Old 09-08-2020, 06:36 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Have a draft tonight, a few days ago we voted to change structure a bit in anticipation of potential COVID interruptions. We're going to be best ball this season, with 18 roster slots rather than 15, but still allow free agency and trading. Most of the online stuff about best ball I have found seems to conflate the core best ball concept "your best players start" with the accompanying notion of "hands off league, draft and no more decisions" which seems to lump a lot of strategy all together, in appropriately.

My thinking, in a nutshell, is - with just the "best players start every week" is:

-multiple active players at every position every week (no kicker league, yay)

-bump up the ranking of boom/bust guys like big-play receivers, but just a smidge

-idea of throwing multiple darts at a position like RB or TE seems more viable in this format

Any other takeaways from those who have played something similar?

Best ball is awesome.

You are on the right track with your thinking. You want a lot of guys with high ceilings. I like taking a guy like Josh Allen. He will have some dreadful weeks, but will mix in some 100 yards rushing games. i never reach for QB. Yeah Maholmes and Jackson are great, but if you have 3 middle of the pack guys odds are one will outscore a stud on a given week, or at least come close.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:06 AM   #7
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
best ball this season, with 18 roster slots rather than 15, but still allow free agency and trading

Well, picking from pick 8/17, and in a league where we award full points for a passing TD, I suspected I'd have a QB dilemma on my hands and 7 RB off the board. With pick 8, that's what happened, and I had to choose among Cook, Mixon, and the remainder of the RB fleet. Or any WR or QB out there.

I'm not a zero-RB guy by any stretch, but felt in this system there are enough RB I like to make it viable, so I started the ball rolling with Mahomes there.

At 17 decided to take an anchor RB in Miles Sanders over Julio Jones or Travis Kelce.

Ended up going WR Godwin-WR Cooper in rounds 3 and 4, then TE Ertz-RB Swift in 5-6, and the plan was afoot.

RB Group ends up being: Sanders, D Swift, T Cohen, C Edmonds, K Johnson (and likely one more TBA, we had a technical problem and have 3 more rounds to draft)

I backed up Mahomes with Josh Allen and Teddy B. Got depth everywhere. I'm pleased, and suspect much of this league really hasn't thought through what best ball forces on them week to week.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:20 PM   #8
bhlloy
Coordinator

I ended up taking Edwards-Helaire 1-3 in my main league as we drafted when the Kamara “holdout” news broke and Dalvin Cook was a keeper. It’s early, but that might end up being a decent move.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:21 PM   #9
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Best ball is awesome.

You are on the right track with your thinking. You want a lot of guys with high ceilings. I like taking a guy like Josh Allen. He will have some dreadful weeks, but will mix in some 100 yards rushing games. i never reach for QB. Yeah Maholmes and Jackson are great, but if you have 3 middle of the pack guys odds are one will outscore a stud on a given week, or at least come close.

cough cough
Old 09-14-2020, 07:46 PM   #10
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Any reason to be concerned with Chubb after how much they relied upon Hunt? Have a very tempting offer on the table, and I think I'm second-guessing a no-brainer:

I give:
TE M. Andrews
RB C. Edmonds

I get:
RB N. Chubb
TE T. Higbee

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 09-14-2020 at 08:17 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:25 PM   #11
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah that’s a no brainer. I’m worried about Chubb’s volume and the Browns offense and that’s still a no brainer. Massive overreaction to week 1 - make that trade right now.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:41 PM   #12
Arles
Grey Dog Software

If you guys have a few minutes, a buddy of mine does a fantasy football blog with a fun twist. He basically compares players each week to Avengers guys. Check it out:

Week 3 Fantasy Avengers
Old 10-15-2021, 11:29 AM   #13
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This is the most recent FF thread I could find an I just anna bitch.

My team has lost 3 of my top 5 picks in Gus Edwards, Kittle, and Russel Wilson. My other top pick was DK Metcalf who now has Geno Smith throwing to him and lastly I had Aaron Jones who I traded so I could get some depth.

Somehow I am 2-3.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:14 PM   #14
lungs
Pro Rookie

The three WRs I drafted first were Allen Robinson, Julio Jones and Brandon Aiyuk. The bad news is that I'm 1-4. The good news is that my WR corps is now Justin Jefferson, Hollywood Brown, Kadarius Toney, and AJ Brown.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 12:47 PM   #15
spleen1015
Coordinator

I've been lucky. I'm 4-1 after drafting Diggs with my 2nd round pick and he's the 23rd best WR in the league right now. I expect him to start having WR1 games any week now.

I've got Kittle as well and he wasn't himself before getting injured either.
Old 12-26-2021, 11:04 PM   #16
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Might pull off a huge upset this week thanks to Justin Jackson...

I'm currently 23.48 points behind with Tua, Waddle, and Dolphins D vs. Saints D.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:37 PM   #17
QuikSand
lolzcat

had a logjam of pretty good players for a roster in a championship game, in a league i care about...

so rather than be too loaded up in any one NFL team, i decided to hedge my bets and bench Jamarr Chase to play Antonio Brown

i mean, i know these decisions can be consequential, but... holy smokes
Old 01-02-2022, 06:35 PM   #18
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I have a 12.08 pt lead with Davante Adams left vs. Nick Chubb and KJ Osburn.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:40 AM   #19
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

In the finals in both of my leagues.

In one, I’m up 26 points and my opponent has Nick Chubb.

In the other, an IDP league, I’m down 3. I have Nick Chubb and Minka Fitzpatrick and my opponent has a Cleveland linebacker.

I need Chubb to be good, but not great.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:51 PM   #20
molson
General Manager

I bought a Cameo from Greg Hardy to congratulate and thank our league commissioner and winner. It was amazing. (Especially since her team name was "DJ Butt Squad", which he mentioned.) For Christmas, she got me a framed set of autographed football cards of criminal players, including Hardy.

The Christmas spirit truly shined on us this season.

And my 17-team Guillotine league comes down to the wire tonight. I'm 42 points in ahead in the 4-week cumulative finals against the other 3 survivors of the Guillotine phase, and they have Chubb and Diontae Johnson left in PPR. Could be close!

Last edited by molson : 01-03-2022 at 05:03 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 07:59 PM   #21
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
i decided to hedge my bets and bench Jamarr Chase to play Antonio Brown

still won it
Old 01-06-2022, 06:10 AM   #22
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
In the finals in both of my leagues.

In one, I’m up 26 points and my opponent has Nick Chubb.

In the other, an IDP league, I’m down 3. I have Nick Chubb and Minka Fitzpatrick and my opponent has a Cleveland linebacker.

I need Chubb to be good, but not great.

Chubb was not good or great. So, I won one league and lost the other. Last year I lost in the semi-finals of a league simply because the Browns DST had negative points. The moral of this story: Never need to rely on the Browns.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:11 AM   #23
Butter
Coordinator

I won both my leagues this year! One was the first time in 13 seasons, the other was the second time in 8 seasons and was for cash. Had a great year.

Now if I can only remember my draft philosophy...