Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-12-2005, 09:20 AM   #1
MikeVic
Head Coach

Air Purifiers?

I'm semi-allergic to dust, and so I want to get something for my room like an air purifier... anyone have one and can vouch that they work? Do you notice yourself breathing better at all? And is there any specific puifier that you can recommend to buy?

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:00 AM   #2
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Consumer Reports had a good article on these a few months back. They claim that most of the "ionic" purifiers release too much ozone. Best bet is a good inline filter in your HVAC system. I forget what they recommended for room filters.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:21 AM   #3
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I'd be interested in hearing about this as well as my son is allergic. One thing I have heard, is that the ones that do no actively move the air around are a waste of money. I think the Sharper Image one is like this.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 12:38 PM   #4
MikeVic
Head Coach

bump for lunch-hour people maybe?
Old 08-12-2005, 12:51 PM   #5
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Ionizers were rated in the May 2005 issue. House and room units in October 2003. Check your local library for the issues?

For inonizers they say:

"the Friedrich C-90A is effective and emits very little ozone, as does the HEPA-filter Whirlpool 45030"

Those are also rated as their best room filters.

For whole house, they seem to rate the 3M filter line as the best, and paying more does get you better filtration, if all you want to do is keep using your standard furnace filter setup.

Or have a professionally installed whole-house filter setup added to your HVAC (which we did at my house). They pretty much liked all the whole-house setups that used Electrostatic Precipitators as opposed to normal furnace filters (and will work much better than you just upgrading the type of furnace filter you use now).
Old 08-12-2005, 01:01 PM   #6
MikeVic
Head Coach

Thanks, I'll check out the reports. I don't really want the whole house. Just my bedroom so that it's clean when I go to sleep and stuff. I wake up with a stuffy nose all the time.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:11 PM   #7
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

My wife & I use an old portable one her parents had. I can't remember the brand. It's about 1 1/2 feet tall and about 2 feet in diameter. We run it at night in the bedroom and it does help out. It's not an ionizer, but a filter that sucks air in through a filter and then pushes it back out. The filters we buy are 3M.

The other thing I'd do is make sure to change your sheets on a regular basis (weekly, if possible) and wash them in hot water.

Hope that helps a bit.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:45 PM   #8
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Sheets can make a difference? I change mine when they either get funky, sticky, or they come off the bed on their own.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:06 PM   #9
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
Ionizers were rated in the May 2005 issue. House and room units in October 2003. Check your local library for the issues?

For inonizers they say:

"the Friedrich C-90A is effective and emits very little ozone, as does the HEPA-filter Whirlpool 45030"

Those are also rated as their best room filters.

For whole house, they seem to rate the 3M filter line as the best, and paying more does get you better filtration, if all you want to do is keep using your standard furnace filter setup.

Or have a professionally installed whole-house filter setup added to your HVAC (which we did at my house). They pretty much liked all the whole-house setups that used Electrostatic Precipitators as opposed to normal furnace filters (and will work much better than you just upgrading the type of furnace filter you use now).

what'd that run you on the whole house setup?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:50 PM   #10
Craptacular
College Starter

We have an electronic air cleaner in our central HVAC system, but then we also have a portable Honeywell air cleaner (like the one flere-imsaho described) in our bedroom. It also doubles as a good source of white-noise for sleeping. Honeywell is one of, if not the, biggest brands of air cleaners.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:28 AM   #11
Passacaglia
Coordinator

bump

MikeVic, did you end up getting an air purifier?

Anyone else with thoughts?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:15 AM   #12
MikeVic
Head Coach

I didn't end up getting one. I believe they cost a few hundred, and so I just tried cleaning my room thoroughly. If I dust everything in my room, vacuum, and all that stuff... I feel ok when I wake up for a couple weeks. I've been lazy to do it all the time, but I didn't see the need to spend a few hundred on a purifier at the time.

Now that this thread is bumped, I might start looking again. It can't hurt to have cleaner air to breathe.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #13
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Six year bump as I thought for SURE someone here on FOFC would have a good recommendation for an Air Purifier.

Im just tired of waking up stuffy and blowing my nose several times a day when not sick.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #14
CraigSca
Pro Starter

We bought the Friedrich model, but even back in the day Friedrich was no longer manufacturing the unit. I did like, however, that the filter itself was dishwasher safe.

Oddly enough, since moving to Florida my son no longer suffers from allergies.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:02 AM   #15
fizeto512
n00b

I am using a Rabbit Air and one GermGuardian air purifiers, they are both good to help with my allergies and asthma attack.
You can find these air purifiers in this list.

Breathe Quality
best air purifiers|best large room air purifiers|best air purifiers for office|best air purifiers for bedroom|best air purifiers for allergies|best air purifiers for pets|best air purifiers for smoke|best air purifiers for mold|best air purifiers for dust|best air purifiers for baby

Last edited by fizeto512 : 02-02-2020 at 02:24 AM.
fizeto512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #16
mccathy
n00b

My pick Winix 5500-2 (2019 Winix 5500-2 Review: Price is Right for this PlasmaWave Air Purifier! | airfuji.com) or Airmega 300 air purifier (2019 Coway Airmega 300 Review: Is this cheapest Airmega air purifier any good? | airfuji.com). Both air purifiers have excellent True HEPA filter that is ideal for breathing difficulty or asthma problems.

You can learn more from the curated list below.
2019 Best HEPA Air Purifier for Home [Proven True HEPA] | airfuji.com
2019 Best Air Purifier for Asthma and Allergies | airfuji.com

Last edited by mccathy : 04-17-2019 at 11:29 AM.
mccathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:53 PM   #17
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thanks robot guys!
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote