Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-02-2018, 06:09 PM   #5151
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I never got the racing sim... that might make it worthwhile.

If you've ever had any interest in formula 1, it's a slam dunk. There's a lot to the game and it is much deeper than i would have expected for a first gen game. Then add on expansions for GP and endurance racing and it changes again.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:03 AM   #5152
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I had to return No Man Sky. It wasn't what I expected, and I am too old and slow and sick to play what was basically a first person shooter.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:43 AM   #5153
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I had to return No Man Sky. It wasn't what I expected, and I am too old and slow and sick to play what was basically a first person shooter.

sorry to hear that
Old 08-04-2018, 09:52 AM   #5154
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I have tried it a few times and it just isn't sticking.

Slay the spire on the other hand it tremendous. I have no idea how some people get such high scores on the daily runs.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:58 PM   #5155
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Slay the spire on the other hand it tremendous. I have no idea how some people get such high scores on the daily runs.

I really love Slay The Spire, I keep coming back to it even after beating it with all three characters, I havne't really tried Ascension levels though. And I've intentionally been avoiding youtube or twitch streams of the game, I think there are some power strats that involve having very few cards in your deck so tat the only ones you pull are powerful and you get them over and over, but I've been happier to not optimize and to just figure stuff out on my own so far.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:31 AM   #5156
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
sorry to hear that

Don't get me wrong, the game looks fine. I have just had some major health issues come up in the last 3 months that have changed how I can play video games. Heck, I have barely been on the computer for the last three months because I had a hard time seeing the screen clearly and I couldn't concentrate on the computer without getting to exhausted. Right now I really have to look at slower paced games that don't take too much out of me to play. No Man Sky didn't look like it fit that bill.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:37 AM   #5157
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, the game looks fine. I have just had some major health issues come up in the last 3 months that have changed how I can play video games. Heck, I have barely been on the computer for the last three months because I had a hard time seeing the screen clearly and I couldn't concentrate on the computer without getting to exhausted. Right now I really have to look at slower paced games that don't take too much out of me to play. No Man Sky didn't look like it fit that bill.

Hope you get better soon!
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #5158
JPhillips
General Manager

Yeah, sorry to hear you aren't well. Take care. You're missed around here.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:34 AM   #5159
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

yeah that was what my "sorry about that" was about, not that you couldn't play the game I hope that whatever is going on is treatable or at least enough for you to be able to concentrate on the computer again.

Last edited by Thomkal : 08-05-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:51 AM   #5160
Kodos
Resident Alien

I hope you get better quickly, GrantDawg.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #5161
GrantDawg

Thanks guys. Didn't mean to thread jack. I might make a thread about it because I could use some advice. Anyway, back to game deals and discussion.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:26 PM   #5162
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Does it make me considerably less of a person that I suspect I'm going to find FM18 Touch more to my liking than full FM18?

It just ... feels better to me after a couple days, way more sense of flow.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #5163
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Does it make me considerably less of a person that I suspect I'm going to find FM18 Touch more to my liking than full FM18?

It just ... feels better to me after a couple days, way more sense of flow.

I’m a 100% with you on touch over full
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:53 PM   #5164
Thomkal
Head Coach

Fan of the Torchlight games? Not from the company that made them, but from an MMO company Perfect World, comes Torchlight Frontiers, a shared-world ARPG. One of the people who worked on Torchlight is behind this, so some connection to the previous games. You can sign up for the beta now:

https://www.torchlightfrontiers.com/en/index/enroll/yes
Old 08-13-2018, 07:58 AM   #5165
Capital
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Fan of the Torchlight games? Not from the company that made them, but from an MMO company Perfect World, comes Torchlight Frontiers, a shared-world ARPG. One of the people who worked on Torchlight is behind this, so some connection to the previous games. You can sign up for the beta now:

https://www.torchlightfrontiers.com/en/index/enroll/yes

Definitely two great games. Looking forward to this and thanks for posting.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #5166
PilotMan
Head Coach

You guys should pick up Orwell for free from Humble right now.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/orwell

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #5167
Thomkal
Head Coach

Thanks for the heads-up on that PM
Old 08-16-2018, 06:15 PM   #5168
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

For you XCOM folks, Phantom Doctrine was just released by the same developer who made Hard West.

Strategy gamer gave it a 5/5 and it has some different mechanics than XCOM. It does not use RNG and does some other things differently.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:40 PM   #5169
BYU 14
Coordinator

The original Bards Tale Trilogy remastered was just released too. One of my all-time favorite RPG series. Crazy that it first came out over 35 years ago.
BYU 14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:21 AM   #5170
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
For you XCOM folks, Phantom Doctrine was just released by the same developer who made Hard West.

Strategy gamer gave it a 5/5 and it has some different mechanics than XCOM. It does not use RNG and does some other things differently.

It got a pretty negative review at Rock Paper Shotgun https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...w/#more-578945

There have been a number of complaints about the tactical combat - AI can see things it shouldn't be able to see, and can shoot through walls, etc. I love the premise and hope patches will clean it up.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:30 AM   #5171
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisbo View Post
It got a pretty negative review at Rock Paper Shotgun https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...w/#more-578945

There have been a number of complaints about the tactical combat - AI can see things it shouldn't be able to see, and can shoot through walls, etc. I love the premise and hope patches will clean it up.

Polygon gave a similar opinion. Super cool idea, execution and immersion need some help. Might be a good target around black friday. Which is too bad, because I was really excited for it.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #5172
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisbo View Post

Check out the Strategy Gamer review. Hopefully they do patch that issue though but I applaud their innovation.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:09 AM   #5173
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Frozen Synapse 2 is due to release any day.. although they have been saying that for a year or two.

Watched this twitch stream and it looks amazing.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/299774400##
Old 08-30-2018, 02:41 PM   #5174
Thomkal
Head Coach

Humble Summer Sale has started, and for a short time you can get Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine for free

https://www.pcgamer.com/warhammer-40...ffer-pcgamertw

Last edited by Thomkal : 09-10-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #5175
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Recent purchases:

Prismata: very, very tough game but it appeals to me in some way I can't explain. Slogging through tutorials and being beat by the "easy" AI over and over. Slowly improving. Very frustrating. It's one of those things where I want to delete it from my hard drive and never touch it again but I'm stubborn. If you are good at math, this game will probably be much easier for you. DDDDEDDD

PUBG: I see lots of complaints about this game but i have to admit that i'm enjoying it right now. The scale of the maps is impressive. I love the jump out of the plane mechanic for the initial entry. The whole pay for keys to crates thing for unique clothes and skins for weapons doesn't affect me. Not a huge fan of the feel of the character movement but its growing on me. Playing solo and duo matches (duo with nephew via skype) and i must say its much more fun with friends. I see lots of complaints about cheaters and so far I have not come across anything glaring. You can always watch your Death Cam and every death so far has seemed more than legit.

The jump scare i get when the game is silent for 5 minutes and then you are attacked by the loudest BLAM BLAM ever is unnerving. I can see this staying in my rotation for a while.

Dungeon Warfare I and II: a retro graphic tower defense. I'm not a huge TD guy but I've enjoyed this. My number 1 TD is still the original Dungeon Defenders (there is just something about it that feels right).

The Witcher Series: not a huge fan of this genre but I kept hearing over and over how good the series is. So, it was on sale and i plunged in and have started Witcher 1. I'm already doing the "go get 5 blahblah berries" quest and am slightly annoyed.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:42 PM   #5176
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post

The Witcher Series: not a huge fan of this genre but I kept hearing over and over how good the series is. So, it was on sale and i plunged in and have started Witcher 1. I'm already doing the "go get 5 blahblah berries" quest and am slightly annoyed.

The first Witcher game has a strong story and very weak gameplay. I wouldn't judge the rest of the series from the first. The 2nd is a massive leap forward and the 3rd is one of the best PC games ever game.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #5177
sabotai
General Manager

I tried the first Witcher game not too long ago and had the same reaction. I'm thinking at some point I'll just play through while reading a walkthrough so I can get through it ASAP while still getting all of the story and then jump into The Witcher 2.

But that'll have to wait. I'm still addicted to Rimworld (while waiting for the next big Stellaris update)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:16 PM   #5178
MrBug708
Head Coach

Im waiting for the next discount on rimworld to make the plunge. Hope it's sooner than the November sale
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:51 PM   #5179
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Im waiting for the next discount on rimworld to make the plunge. Hope it's sooner than the November sale

It really is an awesome game.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:16 PM   #5180
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Serious question; I've heard a LOT of good things about Rimworld. I've never taken the plunge myself because I've never seen(though I haven't looked very hard) what the big deal is. My impression of the game is that it's more or less Dwarf Fortress with better graphics and some surface storytelling, with most settlements not even intending or trying to last very long. Is that wrong -- or those of you who like it, what's the hook for you? I have nothing against DF, I've sunk way too much time into as it is. The question is though, what does Rimworld have that makes it worth spending the time to learn it?

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 09-10-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:44 PM   #5181
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Serious question; I've heard a LOT of good things about Rimworld. I've never taken the plunge myself because I've never seen(though I haven't looked very hard) what the big deal is. My impression of the game is that it's more or less Dwarf Fortress with better graphics and some surface storytelling, with most settlements not even intending or trying to last very long. Is that wrong -- or those of you who like it, what's the hook for you? I have nothing against DF, I've sunk way too much time into as it is. The question is though, what does Rimworld have that makes it worth spending the time to learn it?

It's essentially a dwarf fortress-lite with prison architect graphics. I haven't played it in several months, but put over 80 hours into it after stumbling across it when it was released on steam. I've passively kept up with the updates, but without playing in so long some things may have changed.

The hook for me was the small scale town building and simulation aspects of it. I've never been able to get into Cities Skylines or any of the Sim City games since maybe 4. I really enjoy the familiarity of having a small group of people to "control" and actually feeling like you know your settlers.

What really drew me in was the sense of accomplishment in building a small civilization that thrives a little. The wonderful and frustrating thing about Rimworld is complete disaster comes fast and you often don't see it until it's too late. Bandits attack at the wrong time, the wrong person gets bit by an animal, didn't harvest enough crops for the winter, etc. You often don't even realize what the wrong time or who the wrong person is until it happens.

So what it comes down to is it's a difficult, but fun city builder and management sim with dwarf fortress-lite aspects.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:23 PM   #5182
Groundhog
Coordinator

I love Rimworld, but my one big problem (which may have been fixed - it's been awhile since I've fired it up, but I would have 100+ hours on it) with it is that when you DO manage to make a successful colony and really start to bump up your number of settlers, the game's scheduling system really starts to struggle. It's the same with Prison Architect when your prison gets too large and there are too many tasks to schedule, and it begins to seem like people are just not doing what they are supposed to be doing for no good reason - some jobs just don't get priority.

It does take a looooong time to get to that point in Rimworld, but it's very unsatisfying once you do.

I think my key is to start with a mountainous spot and instead of building, dig your settlements directly into the mountain. Saves a lot of material and you can still setup cooling/heating, etc., and with less risk of fire destroying everything, especially if you carefully lay out the high-risk explosive stuff and separate it with tunnels.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:18 PM   #5183
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I've always wanted to try Rimworld but the name of the game sounds like a porno.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:08 AM   #5184
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I think my key is to start with a mountainous spot and instead of building, dig your settlements directly into the mountain. Saves a lot of material and you can still setup cooling/heating, etc., and with less risk of fire destroying everything, especially if you carefully lay out the high-risk explosive stuff and separate it with tunnels.

That's what I've ended up doing every game, too. I make a really well defended cave entrance, and then build my civilization under ground. That seems to be the best strategy if you're not a pro at outdoor building.

The only other tip I'd have is to use the manual priority system instead of the default one. Under the "work" tab, make sure it's set so you can change the priority numbers for each worker. The checkmarks aren't enough. Put everyone that is capable of a task at 3 for it, then set each person's specialty to a 2 for them. That usually gives me enough control that I don't need to use the 1 or 4, but they are there for situations that pop up. (ex: I sometimes set doctors to 1 after a battle, so they ignore everything else but healing, until there's no healing left to do)

Also, the latest rimworld update has added some new fun stuff. Building on water, new turrets, more power options...

163 hours in so far, and not slowing down!

Last edited by GoldenCrest Games : 09-11-2018 at 06:09 AM.
GoldenCrest Games is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:05 AM   #5185
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Gotcha thanks. It sounds like a good game that scratches an itch that I really don't have, so I'll probably just let all the other people who enjoy it have at it. I have a backlog of projects planned right now anyway so there's only so much one person can do.

Appreciate the info guys.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:59 AM   #5186
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

I have never seen a sale on Rimworld in the last 3 years.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #5187
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Another rimworld tip:

If you're starting with 1 settler, NEVER get into a fight with ANYTHING. I've lost the game multiple times because my first settler, armed with a charge rifle, got attacked by a rabbit/alpaca/turtle and died from an infected scratch. (because you can't treat your own wounds)
Old 09-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #5188
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenCrest Games View Post
Another rimworld tip:

If you're starting with 1 settler, NEVER get into a fight with ANYTHING. I've lost the game multiple times because my first settler, armed with a charge rifle, got attacked by a rabbit/alpaca/turtle and died from an infected scratch. (because you can't treat your own wounds)

I thought they changed that quirk - not being able to treat your own wounds - in one of the more recent patches?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:42 AM   #5189
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

I hope they did, but my last game (a week ago) was ended by a rabbit scratch.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #5190
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
I have never seen a sale on Rimworld in the last 3 years.

Well...darn
Old 09-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #5191
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

I really want to love Rimworld but i go through patches where i play a bunch of games for a few days and then i get tired of it and put it down for months. Just something about the progression that i don't like. The tech tree is so meh.

It would be nice to have more tech options but it just feels like choice in tech doesn't make that much of a difference in gameplay and you're researcher is usually too busy tending to the wounded or in bed wounded to actually have time for the research bench. I'm sure somebody will argue that i'm just not doing it right but I can point to Stellaris as a tech tree that is decent (not perfect). A little random every time and you can feel progress.

As for the Witcher comments, I hope 3 is as good for me as everyone says.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:39 PM   #5192
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I hope they did, but my last game (a week ago) was ended by a rabbit scratch.

The option is in the colonist's Health tab (Self-tend).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:02 PM   #5193
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Rimworld has so many mods you can kinda build your own game.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:50 PM   #5194
MrBug708
Head Coach

Bought it. Love it. Lost my first game because I thought I could take out a megasloth with a bow. Send my colonist with a gun to try and they got knock out. My hauler tried to rescue them and didn't make it either.

Second game causes panic with an infected rat which doomed us
Old 09-12-2018, 08:51 PM   #5195
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
The only other tip I'd have is to use the manual priority system instead of the default one. Under the "work" tab, make sure it's set so you can change the priority numbers for each worker. The checkmarks aren't enough. Put everyone that is capable of a task at 3 for it, then set each person's specialty to a 2 for them. That usually gives me enough control that I don't need to use the 1 or 4, but they are there for situations that pop up. (ex: I sometimes set doctors to 1 after a battle, so they ignore everything else but healing, until there's no healing left to do)

That's a good point - I think the 1/4 thing in particular. I do manually set all my priorities but saving 1 for emergencies is not something I've tried.

I also started using a priorities mod last time I played which, I can't recall the name or the specific details, but I think it especially may also have contributed to the mess in late-game.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:30 PM   #5196
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly...s_tile_index_1

Humble Bundle is giving away 9 games for free.

click on each game and then download. It isn't a steam key
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:47 PM   #5197
Thomkal
Head Coach

GoG is giving away four games (all old because its GoG)

https://www.pcgamer.com/gog-is-givin...ffer-pcgamertw
Old 09-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #5198
Thomkal
Head Coach

Bard's Tale 4 now out and available everywhere it looks like
Old 09-19-2018, 02:46 PM   #5199
Thomkal
Head Coach

GoG.com having a Divinity sale. Most games in the series are for sale and less than $10, including Divinty-Original Sin I-Enhanced Edition.Original Sin 2 not part of the sale.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:25 PM   #5200
JPhillips
General Manager

Big Sale on Train Simulator. You can get all the add-ons for only $7600.