Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-14-2018, 08:26 AM   #251
QuikSand
lolzcat

Nothing too exciting as we approach preseason. We have arranged a cheaper, and possibly more stable, OL leadership arrangement, but that's a lateral move for us (just a cap saver, on a team that isn't using its full cap).

RB Julio Henson is now on the bubble - he's got the few ratings that make things work in a different (better) RB system, but apparently not here. We squeezed out a mere 4.07 ypc from him, while he came off two seasons well over 5 ypc with NE. I'll tally it up to gameplan differences, and maybe OL quality/cohesion... but if we are going to continue to pay Brody $24m to be our RB1 (and generate replacement-level stats doing so) then it basically doesn't make sense to pay Henson $9m to be a stiff backup. New FA signing Seth Dodge is ready to step in as our affinity leader (we lose a click or two in personality there but I'll live with that) and seems plenty capable of being on the active roster, playing a few special teams, and possibly toting the rock a few times. Fine.

So... this year, my hoped-for timeshare would be something like this:
Carpenter 250-1100
Schwartz 125-550
Dodge 40-180

Not asking for the moon and stars here. But our OL should be plenty competent with run blocking, and I'd like to think we could step up to 4.5 ypc or thereabouts, to complement what should remain a top-tier pass attack.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:25 PM   #252
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, I apparently failed to upload my file for the last stage - and naturally it's a critical cut-down stage. For a chem-heavy team, this is a potential nightmare, as the AI walks through the roster typically axing all the essential chemistry guys with lousy ratings.

Here, it's not awful. CB Raul Evans got cut, that's not a crisis - he was a mediocre high-cohesion guy, and I have lots of DB depth. The AI cut last year's 2nd round DE...a guy I drafted basically based on a scout impression. And a few other guys get the axe - but nobody we can't live without. My D7 chemistry is messed up, but we will marshal onward.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:29 PM   #253
QuikSand
lolzcat

...following up on earlier posts, QB Gino Bush makes the team as a double affinity backup QB, and will get some field time this year.

RB Henson is released, as expected. We'll run my three amigos out there a bit and see what we can get from them, behind a less cohesive line than last year's offering, but still pretty talented as run blockers.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:01 AM   #254
QuikSand
lolzcat

Regular season overview

Well, we seem to have landed back into our groove. 10-6, wild card, rated the #10 team in the league, and that sounds about right.

QB Mathews regressed to only a 99 rating, and that's not good enough. WR Duran has regressed to being merely a 110-yard per game guy, and that too is not good enough. The running game remains stale.

Surface numbers from the D look pretty good. Average yards per carry allowed is better than usual, and we were #9 in yards per attempt allowed passing, #1 in pass rush %, and #1 in completion % allowed. We didn't generate turnovers, though. So, we didn't suffer too much from our mucking up lineups to get guys starts this year, it seems.

Basically, I think Duran's transcendent talent made our team better than it should have been. Jam him 15 targets a game, he'll churn out 140 yards, and we were just tough to stop. Now if he's just a 7+ yard per target guy instead of 9+, that means a lot of drives ended. We aren't an elite offense behind Mathews and a bunch of Grade-B guys, which is who we are now.

I think the team would be better off running my more basic offense. I'm pitching it around like mad right now, and that is probably counterproductive. If we were throwing 1/3 less and running for 5 yards a clip, maybe we'd be a power team, rather than a fringe contender.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #255
QuikSand
lolzcat

Standard one-and-out in the playoffs, we lose to Houston who goes on to win it all. Yup.
Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM   #256
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, end of an era here. Luke Duran retires.

Here's his career snapshot.

He is pretty safe as the #1 WR I have ever had in any MP league. Glad we managed to eke out one title for him, unlike Leo Griffin, his predecessor as our build-around guy.

So... with both Duran and Vukmir retiring together, we will be building the offense around three receivers in Dodge-Fletcher-Briggs, and hopefully we can get some more life from RBs Carpenter and Schwartz. I don't really want to alter this fun gameplan, but without Duran I fear our efficiency is really going to plummet and we'll end up being a full notch below the top tier teams in the league.

Last edited by QuikSand : Yesterday at 09:47 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM   #257
QuikSand
lolzcat

Oddly, it also looks like we had a massive departure of our coaching staff. We hired new guys everywhere below Head Coach, and I don't see any notes about staff retirements. Seems odd, but I failed to get in a file for the stage, so it's possible I got reset to some sort of vanilla preferences.
Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM   #258
QuikSand
lolzcat

Offseason reset:

39 players still on contract
Needs to get legal: WR, OL, OL, K, LS
Needs to get legitimate: OL, S, DL, CB

We have $98m in cap space, about 22% of the total, but will need $25-30m for re-signings.

We have space to be active, but not a leader, in open free agency.

A good draft would help here. What's new?
Old Today, 09:10 AM   #259
QuikSand
lolzcat

Okay, OL was right atop our list of needs, and the first free agency stage helps us in a big way, Likely our big signing this offseason - a $22m/yr guard in 5th year Myron Thornton. So, we now have a starting five ready to play, in a zero-injury league -- crisis solved. I may still look for youth there, but I can slot these guys across the line this year and have a solid guy in each slot.

As I type, I'm on the clock at 1.22... not loving my draft options, hoping I might get a trade deal here. I hate the notion of just taking a defensive lineman every year in the first round, but damned if I don't yet again feel that the B(Affinity)PA pick here is there. I really want to buff up the secondary, but I don't see a first-rounder out there to do that for us.
Old Today, 10:09 AM   #260
QuikSand
lolzcat

Small move down from 1.22 to 1.29, had a handful of players I was close to indifferent about, will likely still get one of them later. We pick up a late 3rd for the swap.
Old Today, 11:11 AM   #261
QuikSand
lolzcat

...my top pick goes off the board at 26 to Atlanta...now feel like I should have stayed with pick 22 and just made my mini-reach for the best looking OL on the board