Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-05-2006, 01:50 PM   #51
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
And so far as the "scene" Nirvana created, I am hard pressed to find many bands of the same "scene" to acknowledge Nirvana as an influence. If anything most of the modern rock acts like System of a Down acknowledge Faith No More and such as their influences.
Man, I must have had you wrong throughout this thread. You're clearly right -- Faith No More was a much more important and music-changing phenomenon than Nirvana ever was. I'll have to run home and put on their album...er, wait, I don't have any of them. Though I do remember the fish flopping video. That was inspiring.

NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:58 PM   #52
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
I don't think anybody mentioned Johnny Cash

-Anxiety

And they wouldn't have too - we were mentioning the best - Dylan. Heck, Dylan did country as well as Cash (who was amazing - no doubt - Cat's Crade is one of my favorite songs).

Last edited by Crapshoot : 04-05-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #53
Celeval
Pro Starter

Don't know anything about influence, but only really liked a couple of Nirvana songs. Meh.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:05 PM   #54
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Nirvana was not even the best band from his own city at the time.

Alice in Chains was vastly superior musically, as were Soundgarden and especially Mudhoney.

I don't think anyone here is making the argument that Nirvana was a great band. And I think only a very, very small number of people are qualified to say whether Nirvana, as opposed to other similar bands, were or were not a great influence on future music. Nirvana's legacy, instead, is their success - the fact that millions and millions of new people were listening to this kind of music pretty much overnight. That influenced the culture of the time - the clothes, the attitudes, everything. Whether or not other bands were "better", Nirvana was the one that crossed that bridge. As this really wasn't a post-death phenomenon, as anyone who was in middle school or high school at the time would remember.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:06 PM   #55
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Layne Staley died today too.

Does anyone think Cobain may have been murdered? Certain things in the coroners report do seem to be questionable. Stuff like the fact that the gun was at an improbable angle of falling(he would have had to essentially pull it with his toes, but he was wearing shoes). A limited amount of blood at the scene and a highly lethal dose of heroin in his system are both quite questionable as well.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:10 PM   #56
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I don't want to say that Nirvana was the best. band. evar., or even my favorite band of all time, but if you made me list my favorite albums or artists off the top of my head, they'd likely be the first one I'd mention.

Did Cobain's death make them larger than life? Sure, of course it did, that happens and its natural. But to say the band was terrible, or had no influence, is to deny the truth.

Cobain knew how to merge pop with punk/metal, and for a short period of time he produced some awesome and groundbreaking material. The fact that he was a douchebag in many aspects of life (including and most importantly his method of exit) should not diminish the work of the band. Pyramids were built on the backs of slaves by some a-holes in the truest sense, but you cannot discount the wonderment of the finished product based on that knowledge. It is what it is, and that's that.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:12 PM   #57
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths
Man, I must have had you wrong throughout this thread. You're clearly right -- Faith No More was a much more important and music-changing phenomenon than Nirvana ever was. I'll have to run home and put on their album...er, wait, I don't have any of them. Though I do remember the fish flopping video. That was inspiring.

And obviously because you don't own a FNM album, they were not influential.. While youre at it go tell that to Rage Against the Machine, Tool, Korn, Deftones, System of a Down, Sound Garden and several other bands...

You want to continue giving a verbal lovejob to Nirvana, go ahead but leave bands you have no idea about out of it.... Dave Grohl is a better musician than Cobain was anyway.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:13 PM   #58
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Does anyone think Cobain may have been murdered?

No. I do think it possible, however, that Courtney Love is the uncredited composer or co-composer of more than one Nirvana song.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:14 PM   #59
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution
Dave Grohl is a better musician than Cobain was anyway.

A very important point. Nirvana's rhthym section made Cobain famous, not the other way around.

knives out

Last edited by st.cronin : 04-05-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #60
Subby
lolzcat

Death to the Pixies.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #61
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Tell me you aren't comparing the greatest songwriter of the last 50 years with Kurt Cobain - please.

Reread...I wasn't comparing, I was explaing how poor singing and odd lyrics don't exactly discount credibility. But I never equated them together (and by that since you misunderstood before Cobain and Dylan).

Thank you come again
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams

Last edited by Qwikshot : 04-05-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:22 PM   #62
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
A very important point. Nirvana's rhthym section made Cobain famous, not the other way around.

Quote:
No. I do think it possible, however, that Courtney Love is the uncredited composer or co-composer of more than one Nirvana song.

Those are interesting statements, and ones that I would really like to know the truth about. I find it just as probable that Dave Grohl and Courtney Love learned a thing or two about composing a song from Cobain during their time together.

The person who is best positioned to answer these kinds of questions is Krist Novoscelic, but I'm guessing he is the type of person who will never tell.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 04-05-2006, 02:25 PM   #63
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution
And obviously because you don't own a FNM album, they were not influential.. While youre at it go tell that to Rage Against the Machine, Tool, Korn, Deftones, System of a Down, Sound Garden and several other bands...
Let's not play "compare our musical knowledge." I give plenty of credit where it's due, to bands I like and bands I don't dig. Hell, I think you'd have a tougher argument over whether or not Mr. Bungle was more important than Faith No More.

Quote:
You want to continue giving a verbal lovejob to Nirvana, go ahead but leave bands you have no idea about out of it.... Dave Grohl is a better musician than Cobain was anyway.
Don't think either of my posts was a "verbal lovejob," but in neither of them did I say I didn't know anything about Faith No More. Just said I didn't own any of their work. Not that I haven't listened to it.

You're right about one thing, though: Grohl is a better musician than Kurt was. On the other hand, Kurt would have taken a dump on some of the songs Dave's been releasing these days, so maybe the "musical integrity" question would be less in his favor. Fwiw, I like the Foos fine.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:29 PM   #64
Franklinnoble
Banned

I think GenerationX just eats this crap up.

Let's go back to the early-to-mid 90's. You have an entire generation of teens and young adults, the spawn of the Baby Boomers, with no identity. 80's music has gone out. There's nothing cool to listen to. They don't embrace rock (well, most of them don't), and they're looking for the sort of musical and cultural identity that their parents had, without it sounding, well, like their parents music... they're looking for... ding! An Alternative.

Alternative Rock is born, not because it's any good, but because it's the only distinguishably new genre of music for this sad generation to latch on to. It fits nicely with their generally pessimistic and apathetic world view. GenX really has nothing on their parents, as far as stuff to complain about. The Boomers had Vietnam, Watergate, and gas rationing. And lots of new drugs and free sex to play with. GenX had… what? A booming economy, relative world peace, Say No To Drugs, and Don’t Have Sex Because You Will Get AIDS and Die.

What was there to protest? What cause was there to identify with? Truthfully, there was NOTHING important going on during the 90’s. The Cold War was over. Al Gore invented the Internet. Everyone was getting rich.

So, kids listen to the whiny lyrics from grunge rockers who are trying to convince themselves that it’s really not that great. For the most part, the whole thing is marginalized.

Then Cobain eats a shotgun blast. And all of a sudden, a million GenX’ers cry out in euphoric agony… “We have something REAL to cry about! Our parents lost Hendrix, Joplin, Lennon, etc. We lost… Kurt Cobain!”

If you ask me, it’s pathetic. I’m a GenX’er. I watched the crap on MTV when he died. You’d have thought it was the damned Pope or something.

Hey, I liked a few Nirvana songs. A few of their tracks were the best of an otherwise forgettable genre of music. But let’s not make this like Elvis died or anything. Cobain was influential only because a generation of wannabes made him that way. If he were alive today, Nirvana (if they were still together) would be no more influential in today’s music than Pearl Jam (who has a loyal following, but hardly cracks the top 40 anymore).

Why couldn’t Eddie Van Halen have killed himself? Then we’d have a decent musician to mourn, and the added bonus of never hearing another album after F.U.C.K.

Last edited by Franklinnoble : 04-05-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:29 PM   #65
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
no, if all Nirvana did was release Nevermind mind (which many here claim they only did) that's enough to put them in the Pantheon. Sex Pistols only had one album and it was enough to reserve them a spot.

Sex Pistols don't have a spot either, unless it's the Suck Donkey Balls Hall of Fame.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:32 PM   #66
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson
Nirvana's legacy, instead, is their success - the fact that millions and millions of new people were listening to this kind of music pretty much overnight. That influenced the culture of the time - the clothes, the attitudes, everything. Whether or not other bands were "better", Nirvana was the one that crossed that bridge.

I agree here--Nirvana was that group that heralded a change in pop music during that era. That period (1991-1993) was an amazing time to be listening to the pop radio. By 1991, 80s-style pop had started to grow stale and nobody was quite sure what would replace it, so a lot of programmers seemed to play anything and everything. Not to denigrate them, but as some have alluded to, Nirvana seemed to be in the right place at the right time in this regard.

Looking back, it's amazing to think how fleeting that era was--ask a 14 year old in the year 2000 what "Lollapalooza" was, and he probably wouldn't know. By 1994 I felt that top 40 was starting to get stale again ("overgrunged"). The first time I heard the Dionne Farris single "I Know" on the radio, I figured that "alternative pop"'s days were numbered on Top 40 radio.

Who do you think was the seminal act that heralded the teen pop era (1997-2001 in the US)? Spice Girls? Backstreet Boys?
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:36 PM   #67
Subby
lolzcat

The amount of subjective-opinion-as-fact in this thread is effing awesome.

Let's settle this once and for all:

I LIKE NIRVANA ______ I DO NOT LIKE NIRVANA ______ (CHECK ONE)

/Thread done.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:48 PM   #68
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson
I don't think anyone here is making the argument that Nirvana was a great band. And I think only a very, very small number of people are qualified to say whether Nirvana, as opposed to other similar bands, were or were not a great influence on future music. Nirvana's legacy, instead, is their success - the fact that millions and millions of new people were listening to this kind of music pretty much overnight. That influenced the culture of the time - the clothes, the attitudes, everything. Whether or not other bands were "better", Nirvana was the one that crossed that bridge. As this really wasn't a post-death phenomenon, as anyone who was in middle school or high school at the time would remember.

I really like ths "Nirvana may not have been the best musical band or the best songwriting band, but they had commercial success so they were one fo the best of all time," argument.

Many have made similar arguments in this thread. I wonder why they think it makes sense to argue that Nirvana was great because of their commercial success and not, say, the Backstreet Boys and their commercial success? After all, the BSB were also influential in many ways as well.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:52 PM   #69
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I like Epic way more than Smells like Teen Spirit.

-Anxiety

Old 04-05-2006, 02:55 PM   #70
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Many have made similar arguments in this thread. I wonder why they think it makes sense to argue that Nirvana was great because of their commercial success and not, say, the Backstreet Boys and their commercial success? After all, the BSB were also influential in many ways as well.

-Anxiety

I don't disagree with the notion of BSB being a seminal group. The so-called grunge era and the teen-pop era were what they were, nothing more nothing less.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:56 PM   #71
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware
I don't disagree with the notion of BSB being a seminal group. The so-called grunge era and the teen-pop era were what they were, nothing more nothing less.

Then I respect your consistency.

-Anxiety

Old 04-05-2006, 02:58 PM   #72
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
I like Epic way more than Smells like Teen Spirit.
I'd think I'd have liked it better if they'd hired Courtney Love when she auditioned for the group.

(For what it was, Epic was a fun song)
Old 04-05-2006, 03:04 PM   #73
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'd think I'd have liked it better if they'd hired Courtney Love when she auditioned for the group.

(For what it was, Epic was a fun song)

I was wondering if you would have gotten it if, instead of mentioning Epic, I had merely quoted your post and then said, "You want it all but you can't have it."

-Anxiety

Old 04-05-2006, 03:05 PM   #74
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
and if the Pixies were all that good they'd have been Nirvana before Nirvana was Nirvana. i've heard one or two Pixies songs and i was not impressed in the least. one of those bands whose aura/legacy is bigger than their actual contribution.

You're fucking CLUELESS is you believe this. Bands like the Velvet Underground and The Pixies had way, way, way bigger impacts on music than their record sales would indicate.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:08 PM   #75
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

I think it's way more likely that Kurt Cobain wrote almost all of Live Through This, the only Hole album worth owning.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:12 PM   #76
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
I think it's way more likely that Kurt Cobain wrote almost all of Live Through This, the only Hole album worth owning.

I know somebody who says that he knows the brother of somebody who overheard at a party yadda yadda yadda ....

Anyway the rumor was that not only did Cobain write all the music on that album, but also played most of the instruments. I don't know ... unless it was written quite a long time before it was released, I don't see it. As I pointed out above, Cobain was quite obviously washed up years before he killed himself.

knives out
Old 04-05-2006, 03:22 PM   #77
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
As I pointed out above, Cobain was quite obviously washed up years before he killed himself.

Wait wait... 'years before he killed himself'? In 1991 he recorded what is largely regarded as the defining album of his generation... in 1994 he was dead... in the time between he recorded 1 new album, and recorded a (critically acclaimed) unplugged album.

Now, explain how he was 'quite obviously washed up', even in 1994... nevermind (pun intended) 'years before' that time. Was he washed up in 1987? Did he put out all this stuff after being washed up? Even if In Utero stunk, can an artist be considered washed up after 1 bad album out of a total of 2?

Like his music or not, your quote above is quite possibly one of the stupider things I've read in a long while.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:24 PM   #78
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
The amount of subjective-opinion-as-fact in this thread is effing awesome.

No kidding. At least now I know what to do if I want to make a bunch of people sound like idiots. Either shout "Nirvana was the greatest" or "Nirvana sucks and is overrated" and then just sit back and watch hilarity ensue.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:26 PM   #79
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
Wait wait... 'years before he killed himself'? In 1991 he recorded what is largely regarded as the defining album of his generation... in 1994 he was dead... in the time between he recorded 1 new album, and recorded a (critically acclaimed) unplugged album.

Now, explain how he was 'quite obviously washed up', even in 1994... nevermind (pun intended) 'years before' that time. Was he washed up in 1987? Did he put out all this stuff after being washed up? Even if In Utero stunk, can an artist be considered washed up after 1 bad album out of a total of 2?

Like his music or not, your quote above is quite possibly one of the stupider things I've read in a long while.

Actually, iirc, nevermind was released in 1990, and in utero had been recorded at the same time.

But, whatever. I remember thinking he was finished creatively long before he died. I don't how long, maybe it wasn't years.

knives out
Old 04-05-2006, 03:33 PM   #80
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Actually, iirc, nevermind was released in 1990

Nevermind
Original Release Date: September 24, 1991

Quote:
and in utero had been recorded at the same time.

In Utero was most definately not recorded at the same time, it was recorded sometime in 1993 and released in september of that year.

Quote:
But, whatever. I remember thinking he was finished creatively long before he died. I don't how long, maybe it wasn't years.

Why can no one on the internet just say "I was wrong"?
Old 04-05-2006, 03:34 PM   #81
Daimyo
College Starter

The parallel between Pearl Jam and Nirvana is interesting. People talk now about how Nirvana single handedly made alternative popular, but Pearl Jam sold way more records and had more airplay than Nirvana while Cobain was alive and I think its reasonable to assume that Vedder and Pearl Jam would be just as esteemed as Cobain and Nirvana if the roles were reversed and Vedder offed himself right after recording Vitalogy.

That's not to say Nirvana isn't really good. PJ and Nirvana both had really great "debut" albums (counting Nevermind as their debut even though it obviously wasn't their 1st album because it was the first time 99.9% of their fans heard of them) and a soild overall body of work.

So I guess I'd agree that the people saying they're the most influencial/best band of the 90's are going overboard a bit -- personally i think Radiohead gets that distinction AND Nirvana wasn't that much better than contemporaries like PJ, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, etc. I'd also agree the people saying Nirvana were shit are going overboard a bit. They obviously don't appeal to everyone, but to ignore their contributions is crazy.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:36 PM   #82
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Nirvana were more important for what they achived than their music. Their songs were good, but they, for whatever reason, managed to get alternative rock played on mainstream radio and on MTV. Remember, even MTV in the late 80s was not an alternative outlet as it is now, they played the same hair-rock and cheese-pop that commercial radio in the US was playing at the time. Nirvana changed that and kickstarted a movement that got bands that previously would've otherwise toiled for years playing small venues and releasing under-the-radar EPs, out into the mainstream arena. Regardless of whether theur music was masterful or not (I am of the opinion that they were solid but not spectacular) that is why Kobain was so important and why I agree with HA that Nevermind is one of the 10 most important rock albums ever.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:37 PM   #83
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Why can no one on the internet just say "I was wrong"?

Because on the internet, everybody's a beautiful woman.

knives out
Old 04-05-2006, 03:39 PM   #84
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
The parallel between Pearl Jam and Nirvana is interesting. People talk now about how Nirvana single handedly made alternative popular, but Pearl Jam sold way more records and had more airplay than Nirvana while Cobain was alive and I think its reasonable to assume that Vedder and Pearl Jam would be just as esteemed as Cobain and Nirvana if the roles were reversed and Vedder offed himself right after recording Vitalogy.

You make a good point here, and its pretty valid. The only thing I can sort of say is that the part of Cobain that made him kill himself is also the part that I think raises his music a level higher than Vedder's. The emotion in Nirvana songs always feels a few levels higher than PJ's, or at least a little more raw and real. To me, that adds to the allure.

That said, the first 3 PJ albums are pretty awesome!
Old 04-05-2006, 03:40 PM   #85
st.cronin
General Manager

I don't know why I'm posting in this thread. Radiohead is the only band mentioned that I have actually listened to on purpose in the last ten years.

knives out
Old 04-05-2006, 03:40 PM   #86
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Because on the internet, everybody's a beautiful woman.

What are you wearing right now?
Old 04-05-2006, 03:42 PM   #87
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
What are you wearing right now?

#12 Pats jersey, my new cowboy hat, and a jockstrap.

knives out
Old 04-05-2006, 03:51 PM   #88
DanGarion
Coordinator

Oh well, too bad for him. He was overrated anyway.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:18 PM   #89
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

This thread and a majority of the posts within disgust me.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:27 PM   #90
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,

I'll just say that I'm amazed how people can complain so much about Nirvana when there's so much worse stuff out there. If Soundgarden had sold as many records, and then Chris Cornell killed himself, people would be saying the same stuff about them.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:29 PM   #91
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
Nirvana and Cobain had some good stuff, and were certainly influential. But they didn't come close to earning the level of reverance they have. Very very overrated.

They had a couple good albums and, like almost every other band in history, they would have followed them up with some mediocre albums to balance things out. Instead, Cobain offed himself and the band is held on a pedestal.

If Perry Ferrell had died after Nothing's Shocking, Jane's Addiction would be revered in the same light. Instead, they had a so-so album, broke up, formed bad side bands, put together a crappy leftovers album, and regrouped to put out a monstrously bad album. They are remembered as a band that had some great moments, but not one of the all time greats, and that's how Nirvana/Cobain would be remembered as well if he hadn't been such a coward.

Wow. On everything you just said. Just wow.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:36 PM   #92
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
Dola,

I'll just say that I'm amazed how people can complain so much about Nirvana when there's so much worse stuff out there. If Soundgarden had sold as many records, and then Chris Cornell killed himself, people would be saying the same stuff about them.

Beavis: Isn't that the lead singer of the Spin Doctors?
Butthead: Yeah. He jams with Soundgarden sometimes.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:46 PM   #93
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
You're fucking CLUELESS is you believe this. Bands like the Velvet Underground and The Pixies had way, way, way bigger impacts on music than their record sales would indicate.

This is the same argument as the previous posts about Nirvana being important or not. I am particularly unimpressed by the Pixies music, but they were a huge influence on a huge number of rock bands.

Whether people like Nirvana or not, I cannot see how people cannot say they were not an important band: they opened up major labels and the general public for bands that would not have had a look in before, and had as big an influence on many later bands as the Pixies had had for them.

(For the record I do Like Nirvana a lot, apart the horrendous (IHMO) In Utero - personally I think this is the record that crossed the line from mixing punk and rock, throwing in major feedback and making great songs, into basically creating major feedback and making noise)

If anybody wants to find out about Kurt Cobain's life, I strongly recommend 'Heavier Than Heaven' by Charles R Cross. While Cross was a Music Journo, and the fact he chose to write the book shows he is not necessarily personally completely impartial, it does seem fairly balanced, painting a not-altogether rosy picture of Cobain, and goes a long way to answering some of the points in this thread, for example his struggles to cope with fame, and mess of a relationship with Courtney Love, both of which were largely his own making.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #94
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
Sums up my thoughts. Never liked him. Never will. Blowing his head off and leaving his wife and child behind to suffer the aftermath (and given how Courtney Love's been doing since, I'd say I'm understating a bit) just clinched the argument for me. He may have had a great influence and was popular, but that doesn't mean he was great. Sure, it'll mark me as uncool to say this, but then I was never part of the "cool" or "in" crowd when I went through high school and this stuff hit the fan anyway.

When I think Cobain. I think Influential. I think popular. I don't think greatest of all time.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:02 PM   #95
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
When I think Cobain. I think Influential. I think popular. I don't think greatest of all time.

Ali is the greatest of all time...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:03 PM   #96
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
So I guess I'd agree that the people saying they're the most influencial/best band of the 90's are going overboard a bit -- personally i think Radiohead gets that distinction AND Nirvana wasn't that much better than contemporaries like PJ, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, etc. I'd also agree the people saying Nirvana were shit are going overboard a bit. They obviously don't appeal to everyone, but to ignore their contributions is crazy.

I think I agree on all counts. The truth is somewhere in between Kodos and Hell Atlantic's take on the situation. They really weren't all they were cracked up to be, but to say Cobain is a talentless hack is pretty silly.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:20 PM   #97
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

Green Day was another band that "crossed over" and I don't hear many bands cite them as influential. Whether or not you own their CD's is not important, it's the fact you'll find numerous bands of today cite them as an influence long befor e Nirvana.

Nirvana, without MTV, would've been nothing. People wouldn't have seen this look they had that was new compared to all the hair bands and such of the 80's and early 90's. They were an MTV band if I've ever seen one and that explains there meteoric rise. Some marketing exec somewhere did a hell of a job.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:45 PM   #98
Logan
Head Coach

I was a big Nirvana fan. "Unplugged in New York" is probably my favorite CD of all time.

Too bad Courtney got away with his murder...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:36 PM   #99
Rizon
Pro Starter

The Melvins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:43 PM   #100
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
Nirvana and Cobain had some good stuff, and were certainly influential. But they didn't come close to earning the level of reverance they have. Very very overrated.

They had a couple good albums and, like almost every other band in history, they would have followed them up with some mediocre albums to balance things out. Instead, Cobain offed himself and the band is held on a pedestal.

If Perry Ferrell had died after Nothing's Shocking, Jane's Addiction would be revered in the same light. Instead, they had a so-so album, broke up, formed bad side bands, put together a crappy leftovers album, and regrouped to put out a monstrously bad album. They are remembered as a band that had some great moments, but not one of the all time greats, and that's how Nirvana/Cobain would be remembered as well if he hadn't been such a coward.

I agree that this is closer than what Kodos said. I think this has happened in every era and in every genre, so I guess it is human nature. I recall that those of us in the 20s and 30s in the late 80s/early90s were just flipping the channel whenever Smells like Teen Spirit played on MTV for the millionth time, while the kids were eating this up thinking they were doing hardcore rebellion. Nirvana's album (pick one) may be important in the history of rock thing but that doesn't make them good, just being at the right place at the right time.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote