Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-31-2011, 07:25 PM   #51
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Version 1.8 needs to come out. I don't really wanna play my old save since I know damn well I'll start on a fresh world when this one comes out.

Yah, I haven't kept up with all the rumoured features in 1.8, but anything that helps make the Minecraft world feel more "alive" would be most welcome.

Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #52
RendeR
Coordinator

Heybrad: You need to get whitelisted for the server, go to the URL of teh server and read the forums, there is a quick application which Darq (admin) usually handles within minutes to get you logged in.

Once there just keep an eye out for me. I'll show you round!

As for 1.8:

Big changes: New ore(s) at least one, possibly 2 new ores and appropriate uses for such ores

Height of the world to expand to at least 512 blocks high (possibly more and it could be adjustable by whomever is running the world)

2 new monsters though both damage blocks and in some multiplayer servers they will be disabled from doing so.

1 new spider, with poison!

a totally new environment, brown grass and giant mushrooms!

new surface features: Ruins and villages with AI villagers in them

New underground features: abandoned mines and fortifications

There is more after that. This is supposed to be the largest update since they put the game out there for beta play. Its also supposed to be the last BERTA update. The next rollout should be the full game version for everyone to use.

Fun shit!
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:51 AM   #53
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Well I've started out in this crazy world - been on the fence for a while, but I have to say it's pretty cool. Not a big fan of all the monsters but so far I am having fun just running (or flying around) in creative mode and trying this and that.

How does the game even work multiplayer? Is it a bunch of people all running around in the same world at the same time like an MMO? Seems like that would be a recipe for griefing.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #54
RendeR
Coordinator

Greifing happens, but most servers have things in place to eliminate that. The one I use (Acmecraftco.com) uses a number of different thing. One is a history tracker for blocks so they can see who made what changes and punish them for that if necessary. Another is white listing, and still another is having kits and benefits that are premium items that make the game MUCH easier to navigate for a small donation to support the server.

I tend to travel until I find an isolated area and then begin building my projects. We're going to do a full world reset for 1.9, I'll be sad to see all my creations go, but the admin is going to make the world available for download. So I won't lose them completely.

I've been exploring a massive abandoned mine shaft complex in my most recent world. Fun stuff.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #55
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I never thought it would be fun, but my buddy started up a server and we have a ton of fun on it. I don't know if he plans to open it up publicly, but we have 3 people on there right now (the third guy doesn't do a whole lot at this point). I just recently completed building a massive pirate ship and it is fantastic.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #56
RendeR
Coordinator

Whats the address? I can always use another server to visit =)
Old 09-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #57
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I will talk to him about getting the address out there - he has a whitelist on it currently, so he has to allow people in - but really, we need more people. It can get boring and lonely with just us

Although he hasn't updated the server yet (he is using Bukkit) so your client would have to still be on 1.7.3
Old 09-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #58
RendeR
Coordinator

Ahh I'm using 1.8 at the moment. They're still working on all the add-ons for bukkit, which is why the main server I use is still sitting on 1.7 as well.

Let me know if/when he updates!
Old 09-22-2011, 07:51 AM   #59
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I talked to him tonight and he has a few things he wants to do on the server before opening it up (namely getting some of his personal files off and putting up a hardware firewall). He was definitely open to the idea of opening it up to at least some people though, so that should be awesome
Old 10-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #60
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Having fun with this for the past few days. Amazing how much you can get out of so little. Hard to believe but I've had one of my favorite gaming moments of all time in this game.

I was deep into the side of a mountain searching for coal and iron when I broke through to a chamber that had the edges barely lit by my torch. Ahead of me was the inky blackness of a chasm. I slowly carved a downward ramp and after a few dozen blocks depth a faint glow appeared in the distance and I could see that it opened into an enormous underground expanse.

Zombies and spiders crept up out of the blackness the entire time and I was far from my spawn point so I had to proceed with utmost caution especially since I didn't know how far down the hole continued (I had a bunch of decent inventory on me at the time and didn't want to lose it). The lighting in the game is down very well.

The faint glow grew and grew until I came to a ledge and peered down into a huge lake of lava. It lit up the biggest cave I've seen in the game (I don't think I could carve it out given several lifetimes). Water mixed with the lava in many places spilling from the roof what seemed a mile above me. I know there is obsidian where the lava and water meet and I am now determined to find some diamond and get me some.

The feeling of exploring was exhilarating and I couldn't believe how immersed I was especially with the blocky java-graphics that feel like something out of 1985. This guy has created something special here and I hope he continues to develop this game far into the future.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #61
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Bonegavel - Interesting timing, had a very similar experience with 1.8.1 last night.

I was spending a couple of relaxing hours exploring a HUGE underground network of caves when I came across another subterreanen crevice... I wasn't careful enough and fell though, though I didn't immediately die since I was full on armor and food. The problem is that I only had 12 torches left... After placing my first torch I saw a wood block. Huh? Turns out I had fallen into an abandoned mine, complete with tracks and everything. (New feature in 1.8) Long story short, 12 torches and 20 spiders later I was toast and waking back up at my spawn point. Can't wait to go back...
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:41 PM   #62
RendeR
Coordinator

I love this game =)
Old 10-06-2011, 12:24 AM   #63
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I've been having a lot of fun playing in creative mode lately - I've been working on a whole civilization, very slowly - creating some of their customs, as well as a lot of hidden tombs (similar to Egypt.) Really fun game.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #64
RendeR
Coordinator

I think what I like most is that its not "all or nothing" You can take from it whatever works for you without having to do assloads of worthless crap just to get to what you want.

You can come and go as you please without it going shitty on you as well.

just a simple, straightforward game with tonnes of possibilities.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:30 PM   #65
RendeR
Coordinator

Full game released today!!!

Minecraft 1.0 is out Now!
Old 11-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #66
RendeR
Coordinator

Ok gotta say I am in LOVE with the single player hardcore setting on this. You get 1 life, when you die, its over and the game deletes itself!

no going back, serious heart attack action.

I'm on my 3rd attempt to get things moving. had a GREAT first game setup and a damned Enderman came out of nowhere and kicked my ass. Oh yeah, the game is auto set at the hardest possible settings too.

SO much new stuff, SO much fun!
Old 11-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #67
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Just started playing this on Saturday. Lots of fun, and a whole weekend passed without hardly realizing it.
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #68
Bonegavel

I can't get enough of this game. I setup a server at my house where me and my nephew are playing together and I'm on the mc.darkcraft.org server as well. I've really got the basics down to a science and in no time I'm mining diamonds at a decent clip. Layer 12 baby.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:42 AM   #69
Bonegavel

RendeR, looks like the darkcraft server and forums are gone.... any idea what happened?

Old 11-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #70
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
RendeR, looks like the darkcraft server and forums are gone.... any idea what happened?

Server problems. He's hoping to have the website back up possibly later tonight. Looks like the game server may be a bit longer than that though:

Incompatible Browser | Facebook

I had just started building a place on the server Sunday night.

Last edited by pbot : 11-30-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #71
chinaski
College Prospect

I've been trying to find a good beginners guide to get me going, but not having any luck. I tried playing the game, but I honestly have no idea what im doing and can't figure out where the fun is in it? Any pointers?
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #72
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

I just started by watching a bunch of the youtube videos from Paul Soares Jr...Minecraft survive and thrive series. He does a pretty good job of explaining things, otherwise I would've been totally lost.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #73
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbot View Post
I just started by watching a bunch of the youtube videos from Paul Soares Jr...Minecraft survive and thrive series. He does a pretty good job of explaining things, otherwise I would've been totally lost.

I'm about 20 videos into that series. The game looks pretty interesting, but I am wondering if it would hold my interest being a sandbox/creativity game. I'm trying to talk myself into spending the money and giving it a try.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #74
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbot View Post

Just watched the first one, now things are starting to make more sense. Thanks!
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #75
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Definitely worth it, Brian - especially if you do survival mode. Building stuff for fun only lasts for so long...its much more fun trying to do that and not die at the same time
Old 11-30-2011, 08:44 PM   #76
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
Definitely worth it, Brian - especially if you do survival mode. Building stuff for fun only lasts for so long...its much more fun trying to do that and not die at the same time

Yeah...highly addictive. My kids and I are hooked.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #77
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Is there any hope of being able to play this on a laptop without a dedicated graphics card. I tested it with the free 0.30 version and it was pretty horrible. Any reason to suspect the current version would be any better?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #78
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

It's surprisingly intensive...I know my buddy had issues playing it on his desktop, but then again his beast was pretty old. Can't really speak to what changes they might have made since then to make it a bit easier, but you can try turning some of the settings down to see if that helps.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:33 PM   #79
RendeR
Coordinator

Anyone know how to see what our CURRENT score is in a hardcore game?

I've got a small medieval castle/village thing working in my current game and I wondered how many points I'd built up, but I can't seem to find it.

I'm on DarkCraft.Org as well. You can find my posts in the forums when everything gets back online. I'm doing a terra-forming project in the northwest corner -8k -8k. Join up!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #80
Bonegavel

MC runs like shit on every laptop I've tried it on even with video settings turned down.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #81
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
MC runs like shit on every laptop I've tried it on even with video settings turned down.

Not mine...it runs just fine....Although, it's built to game...
Old 12-21-2011, 11:14 PM   #82
mckerney
Coordinator

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:22 AM   #83
RendeR
Coordinator

Holy christ I feel utterly insignificant. Thanks a lot man. Fuck....
Old 12-22-2011, 07:37 AM   #84
RendeR
Coordinator

Ok, just to remind anyone interested:

Darkcraft.Org : forums, rules and signup information, fill out an application there and get whitelisted within a very short time.

mc.darkcraft.org is the server site to which you can log on even before whitelisting is done, you just can't do much until they get your app done.

TONS of space, its a huge world 8K in every direction (16kx16k world)

Lots of cheap upgrades you can buy such as kits which give you free stuff every 2-3 days, teleporting ability via setting multiple "home" points so travel is fast and simple.

I'm creating my own town/city called Romulus, its located at the farthest north west point in the world. You have to cross avast ocean to reach it and in fact I'm creating the islands on which the buildings stand myself, raising them from the depths. I'd certainly welcome any FOFC members to join in. I have all the premier kits and abilities so we will never really want for matierials!

Join up!
Old 12-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #85
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Holy hell - that timelapse is sweet. I wish we had that many people on a server to do something like that

My buddy and I are finally putting the finishing touches on the permissions and such on our server...hopefully we will be able to open it up to some new folks soon. It's not that fun with just 2
Old 12-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #86
RendeR
Coordinator

Yeah let me know, More than happy to build something shiney on another server!
Old 12-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #87
spleen1015
Coordinator

How do you coordinate all of those people to make something like that happen?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #88
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
How do you coordinate all of those people to make something like that happen?

I've wondered that myself. I can only guess that the planning is all done outside of the game itself, using the map export tools.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #89
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

So, I've lately been addicted as hell to Terraria (thank you, $2 sale on Steam). I've heard friends say that it's basically 2D Minecraft, and I've yet to give Minecraft a go even though I've been meaning to.

My question: is there any sort of definitive progression to Minecraft? Or is it just a sandbox? The reason I enjoy Terraria so much is there is clear delineation in progress based upon gear/bosses/etc to balance the open nature of the game. I think if Minecraft doesn't have that sort of progression, I won't be as interested in it.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #90
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
My question: is there any sort of definitive progression to Minecraft? Or is it just a sandbox? The reason I enjoy Terraria so much is there is clear delineation in progress based upon gear/bosses/etc to balance the open nature of the game. I think if Minecraft doesn't have that sort of progression, I won't be as interested in it.

NPCs, boss battles and locations like dungeons and sky islands are the reason I've enjoyed Terraria more than MineCraft (while there are other things I like more like a better crafting system). It's been a while since I played MC though, so I wouldn't be able to tell you what features like those were added.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:48 PM   #91
RendeR
Coordinator

There are mobs to kill for experience, experience can be spent to enchant tools, armour and other items. Thats all there is to any real "progression" Minecraft is not an RPG, but it contains RPG elements.

Crafting goes from teh most basic (sand into sandstone, dyes into colored wol etc etc) to the most complex (enchanting table, potion brewing, and creating a portal into "The End" where the Minecraft Dragon lives)

It is far more Sandbox than developing game. Its more about creating and building than hack and slash.

I've never played terreria, but from past experience with video game RPGs I've found I enjoy the low stress way Minecraft handles things far better than how the 2d games use to do it.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:54 PM   #92
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Wow, that video is impressive.

I'll second the Darkcraft server recommendation. I've just been building a little homestead by myself, but it is interesting to wander around periodically and see what others have built or are building.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #93
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Hey guys - my buddy and I are finally ready to open things up a bit more and let more people on the server! Please do one of two things if you'd like access:

1. PM me with your Minecraft username - we whitelist by user and of course we only want people we can trust (which is how it goes on most of these servers ). I know I can trust pretty much everyone here, so I probably won't turn anyway away from here. At this point, we have a server capacity of 20 (it's a small server) and only 3 people that play full-time, so we would love to jump that up.

2. Please go to Dutchiesland Gaming Community • Index page and sign-up for our forums There you will find not only info about the Minecraft server (with some special commands for users coming very soon!) but other gaming forums in general. Feel free to post as much or as little as you want, either in MC forum or other forums - that is just going to be the best way we have to communicate things about the MC server in general - issues, new plugins, downtime, etc.

Any questions, comments, suggestions, you know where to find me
Old 01-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #94
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

My nephew turns 8 this weekend, and has obsessed over Minecraft for at least a year. My wife and I got him his own Minecraft pickaxe from ThinkGeek for Christmas, and she made the cake below for his birthday this weekend.

Minecraft Cake

Hopefully this goes better than his sister's Angry Birds disaster last November.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #95
RendeR
Coordinator

Hey Packer, signed up on the forums but I'm not seeing anything about minecraft? Not seeing much of anything at all actually?

Am I going to the proper link?
Old 01-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #96
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Shkspr - that is pretty fantastic!

Render - I will have to check the permissions, I am betting something simple is missing. I got your PM and will try and get your added tonight before I head out for bowling, otherwise it will be later
Old 01-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #97
RendeR
Coordinator

No worries!
Old 01-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #98
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Render, your permissions should be fixed on the forums now. I will get you added to the server whitelist and send you the info for it tonight.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #99
Bonegavel

Anyone have any recommendations for a MC hosting service? There are a bunch out there and I'd rather pick the right one in the beginning rather than having to migrate my stuff all over the place.

I've looked at VeryGames and redstone hosts and I can't make heads or tails as far as good deals/hosts go.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #100
spleen1015
Coordinator

Is anyone picking this up for the 360?

I'm wondering how it works. With the PC version, you have the ability to host your own server, right? How does this mechanism work on the 360? Does it even exist on the 360?