Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #101
heybrad
Norm!!!

I got it for the 360 as my son is a MineCraft super freak. I like that I don't have to constantly reference the wiki for crafting now.

You're no longer hosting a server with the 360 version. You can make your game available online when you're playing but it's only available when you're on.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #102
cuervo72
Head Coach

We picked it up for my son as well. He says that it seems to be behind a couple builds from the PC version - I wonder how much of this is due to possible future unlockable/downloadable content.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #103
heybrad
Norm!!!

I thought I read that updated versions would be free just like the PC version.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #104
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My son has been merrily building ... something, with his cousin on the 360 for the past several hours.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #105
spleen1015
Coordinator

I am disappointed I waited this long to play this game. My wife, however, isn't.

I got the 360 version, but I think I might switch over to the PC version for the additional features.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #106
spleen1015
Coordinator

I am confused by something with the PC version.

The latest released 'official' version is 1.2.5. How does that correlate with the beta versions?
Old 06-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #107
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Okay, here's something NOT to do in Minecraft - create a track with powered rails (in Creative) from the top of the world to the ground and run a minecart down it (that part is really fine.) But do not think it would be interesting to create some water along the track to create a massive waterfall. Very hard to get rid of until I found a great command in the Single Player Commands mod.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #108
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Okay this is just awesome.

Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 06-15-2012, 07:02 AM   #109
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I am confused by something with the PC version.

The latest released 'official' version is 1.2.5. How does that correlate with the beta versions?

I'm still enjoying this game. They are just continuing to add. I bought the game when it was 1.8 (IIRC) and there are so many additions I don't recall what was before/after 1.0 official release.

Version history/Development versions - Minecraft Wiki

That gives a great overview of what was put in and when.

This game is a steal for under $30 with the amount of stuff you can do. I really think if you liked legos at all as a kid (or adult) you will enjoy this. And they show no sign of stopping content updates.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #110
Peregrine
Pro Starter

So I worked on building a house in creative mode on a really cool epic map I got off the web. Not like a city or anything huge like that but I like it-furnishing is not finished though. It's using the John Smith HD texture pack which I love - a bit more rustic and realistic look.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #111
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Looks awesome Peregrine! My house is extremely modest, it's just a stone tower with 2 floors and some windows across. I jumped into the Minecraft Off The Record server and was floored at the designs that some of these people came up with.

My first house was just a hole in a mountain that I built my mine from, but seeing all these creations is making me want to create something cooler.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #112
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Well no need to compare this to any house in Survival mode - in Creative you have unlimited blocks, can fly, etc and are free to design whatever you want. In my survival game my house certainly isn't this nice!
Old 06-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #113
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I just tried to purchase the game through the Minecraft site for my son but it says that they are restricted in Illinois and cannot sell it to accounts in Illinois?
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #114
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
I just tried to purchase the game through the Minecraft site for my son but it says that they are restricted in Illinois and cannot sell it to accounts in Illinois?

That's odd. Maybe some sort of e-commerce regulation in the state that they either don't comply with or don't agree with?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #115
mckerney
Coordinator

trying to gift someone in wisconsin minecraft. im in illinois. denied? - Minecraft Forum

Quote:
The store that handles MC purchases doesn't have a license to operate in Illinois and Guam, so they had to stop. Supposedly the company is trying to secure the ability to do so, but has been in a "soon" status for at least a few months.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #116
mckerney
Coordinator

Minecraft hates my state. - Team Avolition

According to this thread people are able to purchase just by choosing a different state during checkout.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #117
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

lol, that sentence struck me as funny for some reason. They can't operate in Illinois and Guam. Just doesn't seem like two places that you would stick together.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #118
thesloppy
Pro Starter

The Illiguamese are a proud people.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #119
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Just used Paypal for payment and everything is fine. I did find it kind of funny how Illinois and Guam were listed in the same sentence. They must not have paid old Blago enough to do business in Illinois.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:24 AM   #120
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Glad it worked out for you - it's a great game.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #121
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Jeez, I'm probably really late to the party but wow, this game is much better than I expected. It's very addictive too.

My problem is getting lost early on. I get a cave prepared and then day two I wander too far trying to find food and can't find my way back.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #122
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is the iOS version any good? And are there troubling elements? My 8 year old is interested.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:57 AM   #123
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

My daughter started playing on iPad and seems to be enjoying it quite a bit.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:01 AM   #124
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Yeah Eaglefan it is easy to get lost - just try to get set up near some landmarks and don't wander too far early on. If you don't have a lot of good resources around - trees, animals, etc - you may need to plan to move permanently pretty soon after you start.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #125
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I'm getting a bit deeper into my game (literally). My mine ended up connecting to this huge network of caverns, and eventually into an abandoned mine. Was really cool to find that. I ended up finding 8 diamonds in there, which is good since I absolutely couldn't find any for the longest time. I've found my 3rd monster spawner in there, tons of cool things to find. I did die and lost all my stuff when I dropped into a room that had a poison spider monster spawner and tons of spider webs. I couldn't get away and they picked at me until I died. Thankfully I hadn't build any diamond tools yet so everything else could be rebuilt.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #126
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
My problem is getting lost early on. I get a cave prepared and then day two I wander too far trying to find food and can't find my way back.

Press F3 and you'll see your coordinates. Write down the x,y, and z coords of any landmark you want and you'll always have a reference.

you can also make tons of torches and use them as breadcrumbs. I've played countless hours and I still get lost.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #127
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
you can also make tons of torches and use them as breadcrumbs.

I recommend this, especially on the route between your nearby mine & your house. Among the more frustrating things is dying because you make a wrong turn en route home with a nice bunch of goodies & end up running into the immovable leaves of a tree or something.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #128
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

One problem solved. Made my house on top of my mine. Started with just a shack with my furnace, chest and work bench. A ladder leading down to the mine. Then worked my way over to another area that has a whole different set of resources and popped out of the ground there. Made a shack around that entrance and then went back through the mine to my first shack and built a second story on top of that which is about three times the size of the shack, with supports just in case.

In the digging i found a few underground caverns which a filled with zombies which i will explore later. I plan on digging my way over to some large hills i see in another direction next.

Also made a few zombie traps that worked well. Made a one square wide path from a water source that works down to two squares deep. They wander into it and get pushed by the current into the deep section and get trapped. Easy targets.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #129
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

WesterosCraft: A Game of Blocks - frigging cool
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #130
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Us poor ol' 360 Minecrafters got an update today. Still no towns but clay, brick, pistons and shears are now in the console version of the game.

Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition Update Ready and Awaiting Your Download - National Video Game | Examiner.com
Old 07-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #131
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Glad to hear it - they should work harder to bring the console version up to the same level as the PC one.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #132
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Played my first bit of Minecraft yesterday evening and man I think I'll be sinking way too much time in this thing.

For some reason, my son's been playing it for a long while but I was never tempted to try it until this past week.

FM
Old 07-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #133
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Glad to hear it - they should work harder to bring the console version up to the same level as the PC one.

It's probably fairly difficult to do because of Microsoft's requirements for patches through XBox Live. Unfortunately if there's a feature that's a work in progress or still in testing on the PC version that they're incrementally fixing or improving it's not worth it for them to include it in a patch for the console version.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #134
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I can't wait until they allow XBoxer's to play on PC servers. That'll be fun.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #135
PilotMan
Head Coach

I got this for my 10-yr old as a reward for finishing his summer schoolwork program and he is completely addicted to it. It's all he can think or talk about right now. He is playing on peaceful just to get a feel for the game, and he has been looking at the Wiki for crafting, and he can't seem to get enough of it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #136
finketr
College Prospect

well, i updated to 1.3.1 today.. first time in a few months i've picked it up.

i'll have to post some screenshots later.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #137
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Still enjoying it - I don't do much survival mode to be honest but mostly just creative building - working on various towns atm.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #138
mckerney
Coordinator

Minecraft experiment devolves into devastating resource war | PC Gamer
Old 08-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #139
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Read that yesterday - such a cool experiment. We are looking to do something similar on our server, except just a team battle royale. Fun fun
Old 11-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #140
spleen1015
Coordinator

Some guys I work with started up a Tekkit server this week.

I have a new addiction.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #141
Balldog
Pro Rookie

We recently got into Minecraft and my 5 year old is quite obsessed with it. He wanted to be Steve for Halloween.

As much as I don't like him playing for hours a day I feel like he has gotten some educational value out of it. Plus we've spent a lot of time as a family playing together.

Bad thing though: I walked out of the room and ended up getting killed by a zombie while I was gone.

I said "hey what happened?"

He said "a fucking bomb zombie blew you up!"

Oops
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #142
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

LOL. That is funny in a "kids say the darnedest things" kinda way
Old 11-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #143
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Wow, really fantastic new mod based on the stealther game Dishonored - I loved that game and can't wait to try it in Minecraft.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #144
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My 9 year old has taken to the iPad version like it is crack cocaine
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #145
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I have the iPad version, mainly so my nephew and nieces can play it, but I have to say the movement just drives me insane compared to the PC version. But the kids love it.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #146
Kodos
Resident Alien

We have the iPad, PC, 360, and phone versions. Kids (boy 9, girl 5) are addicted to it.

I finally broke down and played the 360 version with the kids a couple weeks ago. Ended up building a dirt tower to the clouds. Sad how much time and effort it took. Maybe will post a screenshot sometime.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #147
cougarfreak
College Starter

Ok, my son has it on the kindle fire. Somehow a setting has been changed to where instead of building a block when you touch something, it only destroys. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to change it. Anyone know if there's a setting that does that?
Old 08-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #148
cuervo72
Head Coach

Is he on creative mode? Pretty easy to blast away blocks on creative mode.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #149
cougarfreak
College Starter

I deleted the app, and reinstalled. It worked. His worlds stayed there, and the destroying stopped? I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Anytime you touched something, it destroyed, instead of built. Didn't matter what mode/icon, whatever I tried. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:23 AM   #150
Thomkal
Head Coach

And its official: Mojang sold to Microsoft for 2.5 Billion. Notch and other founders to leave.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/09/15/mo...ders-to-leave/
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote