Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-26-2018, 10:38 AM   #401
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
You know, I get the viewpoint of it when it is considered an employee-employer thing. On the other hand, these owners often employ people who are definitely doing worse things than kneeling for the national anthem and somehow that is way less of a headache. I really don't care either way if a player wants to profess that they believe the earth is flat or worship Xenu or wants to wear a MAGA hat on the sidelines, whatever. The players who do these things clearly are not representative of the beliefs of their entire team or the whole team would do it. I don't care really what kind of beliefs they want to express as long as they aren't harmful to anyone. I understand that some people do care though.

I guess ultimately I am just mad that this is being made into such a huge thing when there is so much more important shit to worry about.

The employer has provided for the "stage" and the employees are taking advantage of the "stage". If the impact was positive to the bottom line, then the employers would welcome it. In this situation, the impact is negative to their bottom line and don't see why the employers can't disallow or mitigate it.

I don't really care what employee's do on their own time but they are on the job in the stadium. Sure there are other employees that do worse things but they don't have the stage.

If some players want to protest, do it on their own time outside of football. Many of them have the time and resources to do so.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #402
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Edleman busted for PEDs, looks like testing has finally caught up to BBs East Germany style doping!

(Jk)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #403
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I just can't believe that a member of the Patriot organization would cheat like that.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:05 PM   #404
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Andrew Luck threw a football today!
Old 06-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #405
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Andrew Luck threw a football today!

He's one up on Christian Hackenberg!
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:11 PM   #406
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...dnapping-rape/

The paths people take in life are interesting sometimes. How the hell does one go from being a football player earning millions of dollars to robbing and raping old ladies?
Old 06-20-2018, 04:14 PM   #407
Thomkal
Head Coach

I'm sure his lawyer will blame CTE
Old 06-20-2018, 06:20 PM   #408
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I'm sure his lawyer will blame CTE

To be fair, there may be some merit to it, although based on this SI article it's unlikely to be successful in California. I do find it odd that someone at the age of 34 would start committing these offences as described without some sort of checkered history. Winslow did some stupid stuff during his career. The "I'm a soldier" line, the motorcycle crash, drug possession, etc. I don't think any of those incidents are red flags for serial rapist of the elderly however. Just a really odd situation.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:15 AM   #409
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jameis Winston should get way more than 3 games for attempting to molest his Uber driver. And Ronald Darby should get some form of punishment for lying about it.

*Granted the new information confirming that Winston was alone is from Brandon E Banks(not the mousy Redskins/CFL returner) who is serving a 15 year bid for rape
Old 06-24-2018, 07:54 PM   #410
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The general consensus when they were coming out was that Winston was slightly more talented than Marriota, but he came with the risk of doing stupid shit that would get him suspended or worse.

This seems to be one of the rare instances where things played out exactly like we thought they would.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:31 PM   #411
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Ruh-roh

Police investigating after body discovered at home of New York Giants CB Janoris Jenkins
Old 06-28-2018, 09:51 PM   #412
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Jameis Winston should get way more than 3 games for attempting to molest his Uber driver. And Ronald Darby should get some form of punishment for lying about it.

*Granted the new information confirming that Winston was alone is from Brandon E Banks(not the mousy Redskins/CFL returner) who is serving a 15 year bid for rape

Obviously there were a few aggravating or mitigating factors that forced the NFL to only give 3 games as opposed to the mandatory 6 games they would have given him per their zero tolerance policy

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ameis-winston/
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:54 PM   #413
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I think Winston promising not to appeal has something to do with only a 3 game punishment.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:32 AM   #414
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Cute story:

Eagles' Doug Pederson, Saints' Sean Payton made a bet; it will impact their matchup in Week 11 | NJ.com
Old 07-11-2018, 12:26 AM   #415
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Seems like a good chance Shady has played his last NFL down. Barring some insane setup, he's done.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:30 AM   #416
stevew
Hall Of Famer

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-strange-turn/
Old 07-11-2018, 06:37 AM   #417
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

wow I was waiting for the "other shoe to drop" to comment on Shady because the full story wasn't out there yet. (and still may not be). Attacking his girlfriend would have been personal, but his child and dog too? So now it makes more sense that a "stranger" did it. He's certainly done in the NFL in either case.

Last edited by Thomkal : 07-11-2018 at 06:38 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:31 PM   #418
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Only outcome that absolves McCoy is if she set up the assault herself to avoid being evicted from the house he owns, but it sounds much more likely he hired (or told) someone to go in and rob her. Whether he intended the assault to happen at that point or not, he should be done.

Brandon Browner also charged with home invasion etc on an ex-girlfriend.

In shocking news, Pac-Man Jones was also involved in an altercation at an airport, but apparently was the victim in his & even the airport spokesman is supporting him.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:35 PM   #419
Thomkal
Head Coach

shocking that Jones was the victim
Old 07-11-2018, 01:12 PM   #420
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Only outcome that absolves McCoy is if she set up the assault herself to avoid being evicted from the house he owns, but it sounds much more likely he hired (or told) someone to go in and rob her. Whether he intended the assault to happen at that point or not, he should be done.

Brandon Browner also charged with home invasion etc on an ex-girlfriend.

In shocking news, Pac-Man Jones was also involved in an altercation at an airport, but apparently was the victim in his & even the airport spokesman is supporting him.

TMZ has the video. Jones definitely punches back when he could have walked away, but the airport employee (in uniform) was certainly the aggressor.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:35 PM   #421
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
wow I was waiting for the "other shoe to drop" to comment on Shady because the full story wasn't out there yet. (and still may not be). Attacking his girlfriend would have been personal, but his child and dog too? So now it makes more sense that a "stranger" did it. He's certainly done in the NFL in either case.

It's all a lot of conjecture at this point. I'm not saying the other shoe won't drop, but I don't think it has at this point. I know that the NFL is pretty quick to hand out suspensions, but it doesn't seem like there is anything really substantial here (yet).
Old 07-11-2018, 07:09 PM   #422
miami_fan
Coordinator

Is McCoy still a productive RB? If he still is, then he will be fine.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #423
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Have you guys seen that lady's face?

Shady at best will get one of those administrative suspensions while this is being sorted out. His career is probably over

Last edited by stevew : 07-11-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:52 PM   #424
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Have you guys seen that lady's face?

Shady at best will get one of those administrative suspensions while this is being sorted out. His career is probably over

I saw the pictures. I thought this happened in Georgia and McCoy was in Florida at the time. That’s not to say he had no involvement, just that it’s not as cut and dry as Ray Rice on camera in an elevator.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:25 PM   #425
miami_fan
Coordinator

NFL offensive lineman Richie Incognito named ambassador of anti-bullying organization Boo2Bullying
Old 07-14-2018, 01:37 PM   #426
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

That's like Bristol Palin being an ambassador for an anti-teen pregnancy organization.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #427
Thomkal
Head Coach

Miami Dolphins have new "Proper Anthem Conduct." Anyone who kneels during the national anthem will be suspended 4 games. Guess Miami will start 0-4 then after they have to forfeit their first 4 games...
Old 07-19-2018, 08:35 PM   #428
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Miami Dolphins have new "Proper Anthem Conduct." Anyone who kneels during the national anthem will be suspended 4 games. Guess Miami will start 0-4 then after they have to forfeit their first 4 games...

With that said, if any sort of fine or suspension does become a rule for the Dolphins, as a Dolphins fan, i hope every single player kneels, or protests, every single game.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #429
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Guess Miami will start 0-4 then after they have to forfeit their first 4 games...

More respectable start than allowing the oxygen wasters to act up on the company dime.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:10 PM   #430
Logan
Head Coach

Amazing that a team would willfully adopt a policy that is literally guaranteed to divide its own fan base.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:34 PM   #431
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

What would you suggest to heal the divide?
Old 07-19-2018, 10:08 PM   #432
JPhillips
General Manager

Old 07-19-2018, 10:24 PM   #433
Thomkal
Head Coach

LOL
Old 07-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #434
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
More respectable start than allowing the oxygen wasters to act up on the company dime.

These so-called "oxygen wasters" are what the NFL is built upon. These rich, billionaire owners only make money with their franchises because these young men are willing to sacrifice their bodies for the game. Yes, they get paid well for it, but the owners get paid even better. The NFL has built its legacy and fortunes on the carnage of young (primarily black) men's bodies. Once these guys are no longer of use they are largely discarded and forgotten. These players should have every right to use the NFL, the league built on their talents and bodies, to peacefully protest the injustices they and millions of other Americans face on a daily basis. The NFL owes them as much.

I know you feel the exact opposite and will never agree, but that's your thing. I've "known" you around here for a long, long time now and while I used to harbor anger frustration, I really just feel sad for whatever happened to you to make you so utterly and completely consumed by fear and anger. I know you don't want nor will accept my pity, but you have it. Like Yoda said: "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." After reading so many thousands of your posts over the years, your suffering is incredibly apparent.

All that being said, the NFL is ridiculous. They are such a pathetic, awful, disgusting, and poorly run organization. It's astounding how they continue to do the wrong each and every time there's an opportunity to do so.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #435
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

And if these millionaires want to push politics into an entertainment event, I like many others will simply change the channel.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #436
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
And if these millionaires want to push politics I oppose into an entertainment event, I like many others will simply change the channel.

Fixed it for you.

The NFL partnership with DoD has always been political.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #437
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Fixed it for you.

The NFL partnership with DoD has always been political.

Seriously. The NFL has wrapped itself up with faux patriotism for years.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:58 AM   #438
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The NFL partnership with the DoD is more commercial than political IMO.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #439
JPhillips
General Manager

DoD was always looking for a partnership that would provide positive PR for military policies and priorities. The NFL was happy to help in those efforts.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #440
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

That's pretty much the way commercials work.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:06 AM   #441
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't see the distinction. DoD had a political message that the NFL was happy to facilitate. Where are we disagreeing?
Old 07-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #442
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I don't see the relationship between the DoD and NFL as a political one, I see it as a commercial one. The DoD pays the NFL for pro-military displays.

I don't watch entertainment events to be preached at by millionaires. I just want to be entertained and get away from political BS. I don't go to restaurants to hear rants by employees whether I agree with them or not. I just want some food.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:01 PM   #443
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't see the relationship between the DoD and NFL as a political one, I see it as a commercial one. The DoD pays the NFL for pro-military displays.

I don't watch entertainment events to be preached at by millionaires. I just want to be entertained and get away from political BS

That really feels like some active cognitive dissonance to me. Its totally fine to like one and not the other and to admit bias, IMO, go for it. But to not see the MASSIVE government sponsored patriotic displays including trotting out veterans and often mentions of veterans or wars by the announcers as being preached at by the government and the NFL, but seeing an individual kneeling as being forced to endure being preached at... that explanation simply does not sit straight with me.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:03 PM   #444
molson
General Manager

This was all dying down before the NFL decided to bring it back to the headlines for some reason.

This is going to be like the Occupy Wall Street protests that ultimately became about authority generally and the nature of protests. More players are going to want to get involved the harder the NFL pushes back, and the more it becomes a protest against rules against protesting.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #445
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
That really feels like some active cognitive dissonance to me. Its totally fine to like one and not the other and to admit bias, IMO, go for it. But to not see the MASSIVE government sponsored patriotic displays including trotting out veterans and often mentions of veterans or wars by the announcers as being preached at by the government and the NFL, but seeing an individual kneeling as being forced to endure being preached at... that explanation simply does not sit straight with me.

I guess I don't see a military display as political preaching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
This was all dying down before the NFL decided to bring it back to the headlines for some reason.

This is going to be like the Occupy Wall Street protests that ultimately became about authority generally and the nature of protests. More players are going to want to get involved the harder the NFL pushes back, and the more it becomes a protest against rules against protesting.

This wasn't going to go away on its own in the near future. The kneelers have no reason to stop and you can be damn well sure that Trump is going to draw attention to it during a mid term election season.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:25 PM   #446
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...dies-at-age-56
Old 07-24-2018, 08:08 PM   #447
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

This fails my smell test but I'll throw it out there anyways

https://nypost.com/2018/07/24/odell-...woman-for-sex/
Old 07-24-2018, 08:54 PM   #448
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think this upcoming lockout is going to be pivotal. The players have to come in unified and willing to never play in the NFL again if they are going to get a fair shake from the owners. That's going to be hard to pull off because it is way harder to get 1700 men to agree than it is to get 32 of them to. Weird how that divide sort of mirrors the one our country faces right now..

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:25 PM   #449
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I think this upcoming lockout is going to be pivotal. The players have to come in unified and willing to never play in the NFL again if they are going to get a fair shake from the owners. That's going to be hard to pull off because it is way harder to get 1700 men to agree than it is to get 32 of them to. Weird how that divide sort of mirrors the one our country faces right now..

Also, the owners can stand a much longer lockout than the players. If the NFL stops for two years, they would all lose a ton of value, but they would all still be incredibly rich dudes.

The players have (1) a very short time when they can earn money as athletes, and (2) much smaller cash reserves.

I would suspect that after just a few missed paychecks, a lot of players will have trouble making house payments, etc. It simply isn't credible when the union says that the players would be willing to sit out an entire season.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:46 PM   #450
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I would suspect that after just a few missed paychecks, a lot of players will have trouble making house payments, etc. It simply isn't credible when the union says that the players would be willing to sit out an entire season.

Enter Vince McMahon...