Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #51
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The biggest issue for me is the layoff - a month between games is stupid.

Well there is the little matter of exams, so unless you want to shove them up to immediately after the conference c'ship games, there's going to have to be some down time in there somewhere.

Hell, even basketball teams go into reduced schedule mode for a week or two here.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-14-2010 at 01:24 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #52
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Mizzou hasnt faced a defense like Iowas. Oh wait, they fade in the 4th because of all the pot smoking. Stupid players. Weed is for after the game. Coke is what you want for the 4th quarter.

Iowa struggles against the spread offense though and at last check that is what Mizzou runs.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #53
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Well there is the little matter of exams, so unless you want to shove them up to immediately after the conference c'ship games, there's going to have to be some down time in there somewhere.

Hell, even basketball teams go into reduced schedule mode for a week or two here.

Aren't the FCS playoff games going on right now?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #54
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Aren't the FCS playoff games going on right now?

Do you really want to compare the workload at Georgia Southern with the workload at a major state university? Even for football players?

Trust me, that'd be a mistake (as is extending the I-AA football season as far as they do but that's another story).
Old 12-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #55
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa does struggle against the spread. Our LBs are young and relatively inexperienced. But Iowa does a great job of preparing during this layoff. We were very prepared for Georgia Tech last season. So I hope the same holds true for us against Mizzou.

As fpr the month layoff, teams use this as a building block for next season. It is extra practice to prepare for the departure of seniors.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:18 PM   #56
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Do you really want to compare the workload at Georgia Southern with the workload at a major state university? Even for football players?

Trust me, that'd be a mistake (as is extending the I-AA football season as far as they do but that's another story).
Wait, what? I don't have much knowledge about GSU vs. UGA or GT, but I'm pretty sure I have a little first-hand experience of being at a major state university during the FCS playoffs, including when we played renowned academic underachievers like Colgate and Holy Cross.

I agree that there are a lot of reasons why FCS-style playoffs (now with a fairly absurd 20 teams! and coaches pushing for 24 or even 32!) would never make it in FBS (it reduces every team to 11 games, and the # of weeks for conference TV contracts by 2), but claiming that the average player at a UMass, William & Mary, Villanova etc doesn't have as much class work as the average player at an FSU or an SEC school? I call bullshit.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote