Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-18-2018, 01:38 PM   #18151
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Can we outlaw the use of "sir" in social media and message board posts?

Soccer matches too (seriously, yelling at the ref in professional matches going "SIR, SIR" is just strange)
Old 12-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #18152
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Being a member of an ELCA congregation, I was deeply confused here .

Eagle's Landing Christian Academy is just a seriously unwieldy moniker for a sports team.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:32 PM   #18153
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The difference between a 19" monitor and a 23" monitor feels like WAY more than 4".
Old 12-28-2018, 12:48 PM   #18154
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The difference between a 19" monitor and a 23" monitor feels like WAY more than 4".

46.5% more screen area according to a calculator

Last edited by stevew : 12-28-2018 at 12:48 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:58 PM   #18155
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, just remember that whenever you double your "screen size", say going from a 10" to a 20" monitor, you are actually quadrupling your screen area,
Old 12-28-2018, 02:03 PM   #18156
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
46.5% more screen area according to a calculator

I can believe it.

It's almost more than my eyes can handle, even with brightness turned down quite a bit.

I mean, I have spreadsheets open a lot of hours most days, so the amount of white is ... a LOT.

But it certainly makes about a 100x difference when watching a YT playthrough, this is like an entirely different world. And full screen is just ... good Lord.

I'm that guy who says he can't really tell much difference from one TV (size or type) to the next, my eyes just aren't that senstive or whatever. But this? THIS is nuts.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #18157
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: that more screen area thing -- usually I got, I think it was something like 23 rows of one of my go-to Excel sheets.

Today? Even with it reduced from 150% (where it was) to the recommended 125%, I'm looking at 42 rows.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:29 PM   #18158
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Bo Diddley claims to have made his baby's Sunday hat from a 'bearcat'. What the hell is a bearcat?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:54 PM   #18159
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Bo Diddley claims to have made his baby's Sunday hat from a 'bearcat'. What the hell is a bearcat?

Bearcat (Binturong) - Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden®

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:23 PM   #18160
thesloppy
Pro Starter

My research came up with similar results. One point against that answer is that the Binturong is apparently native to South Asia and it seems unlikely that 1950s Bo Diddley was referring to a South Asian tree creature. One point in favor of that answer is that the Binturong apparently smells like buttered popcorn, or corn chips, and who wouldn't want to craft their girlfriend a hat that smelled like popcorn?

Last edited by thesloppy : 12-28-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:01 PM   #18161
cuervo72
Head Coach

Have to do something with the skins from all the stew Alley Oop eats.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:08 PM   #18162
molson
General Manager

It's crazy how in 1986, when I started following baseball as an 8 year old, I could have told you most of the starting lineups and top starting pitchers from almost every team by the end of that season. Without really trying, and without the internet.

Now, even though I've never really stopped following baseball, and know my Red Sox pretty well, I'd find it difficult to name maybe - 20 other players in all of baseball? And most of those only because they used to play for the Red Sox. I guess my brain has other things to concern itself with now.

And I don't even understand how I was so knowledgeable in '86. I watched games on weekends, and This Week in Baseball, and I probably read Peter Gammons' columns in the Boston Globe. Maybe it was the baseball cards.

Last edited by molson : 12-28-2018 at 09:10 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:11 PM   #18163
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I didn't even think of that Alley Oop example! I'm thinking that bearcat is probably just an olde time country term for some variety of weasel critter, mink, or badger or raccoon or something.

Last edited by thesloppy : 12-28-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:24 PM   #18164
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It's crazy how in 1986, when I started following baseball as an 8 year old, I could have told you most of the starting lineups and top starting pitchers from almost every team by the end of that season. Without really trying, and without the internet.

Now, even though I've never really stopped following baseball, and know my Red Sox pretty well, I'd find it difficult to name maybe - 20 other players in all of baseball? And most of those only because they used to play for the Red Sox. I guess my brain has other things to concern itself with now.

And I don't even understand how I was so knowledgeable in '86. I watched games on weekends, and This Week in Baseball, and I probably read Peter Gammons' columns in the Boston Globe. Maybe it was the baseball cards.

Play DFS, you will know the most obscure players.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:26 PM   #18165
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It's crazy how in 1986, when I started following baseball as an 8 year old, I could have told you most of the starting lineups and top starting pitchers from almost every team by the end of that season.

Back in 'the day', a lot of our sources were print media/national telecasts that covered everybody, and each game, rather evenly. The boxscores and game summaries were all there on the same page of the newspaper; the Sporting News and USA Today Sports Weekly gave every team about the same amount of space, and SportsCenter recapped three minutes of highlights from each game. Maybe I'd turn to my team's page first, but over the course of the week I read every article in those things at least twice.

Today? I've got 27 sports sites bookmarked that I read; 14 of them cover "my" teams exclusively, and most of the other sites with news want me to tell them which teams I like the most so they can serve me content related only to them. The end result is a similar echo chamber effect to what is happening in all other forms of news consumption - I can learn more than ever about the topics that are closest to me, but hear almost nothing about things that would normally be considered important that I never make conscious decisions to learn about.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:51 PM   #18166
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
Back in 'the day', a lot of our sources were print media/national telecasts that covered everybody, and each game, rather evenly. The boxscores and game summaries were all there on the same page of the newspaper; the Sporting News and USA Today Sports Weekly gave every team about the same amount of space, and SportsCenter recapped three minutes of highlights from each game. Maybe I'd turn to my team's page first, but over the course of the week I read every article in those things at least twice.

Today? I've got 27 sports sites bookmarked that I read; 14 of them cover "my" teams exclusively, and most of the other sites with news want me to tell them which teams I like the most so they can serve me content related only to them. The end result is a similar echo chamber effect to what is happening in all other forms of news consumption - I can learn more than ever about the topics that are closest to me, but hear almost nothing about things that would normally be considered important that I never make conscious decisions to learn about.

Oh I miss the days of the Sportscenter box scores after the highlights.

But yeah, when I was in my teens I could probably tell you the top 5 in batting average and home runs in both leagues at any given time. Now, unless it's fantasy related, there's less focus on getting data to viewers and more focus on a creating stories, creating debate, and quick highlights.

In the 90s Sportscenter highlights did a good job of telling the story of a particular game. Now you might see 2 to 3 plays at most if it's non-popular teams playing.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:26 AM   #18167
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I used to love the USA today team stats. I'd pour over those names every Tuesday and Wednesday I think? Now baseball is just there. I barely know the pirates active roster most of the time.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:29 AM   #18168
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sunday newspaper, in my youth, had the full hitting & pitcher leaders for both leagues. That, plus a weekly dose of The Sporting News, and those baseball cards Molson mentioned ... I knew Pepe f'n Frias better than I know 2/3rds of the all-stars today

edit to add: And had a lot more interest in Frias than those same all-stars today

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-29-2018 at 02:29 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:35 AM   #18169
miami_fan
Coordinator

Today is the forty year anniversary of Woody Hayes punching the Clemson player. I say the Clemson player because I only learned Charlie Bauman's name today as I began a bit of a deep dive reading some sports columns from the days after this incident. My two takeaways

1. I think this may be at the top of my list of sports events I wished happened in the Twitter age.

2. Some of the "both sides" arguments on this incident are amazing.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:08 PM   #18170
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Today is the forty year anniversary of Woody Hayes punching the Clemson player. I say the Clemson player because I only learned Charlie Bauman's name today as I began a bit of a deep dive reading some sports columns from the days after this incident. My two takeaways

1. I think this may be at the top of my list of sports events I wished happened in the Twitter age.

2. Some of the "both sides" arguments on this incident are amazing.

Here's some more interesting info.
Dan Bemish was a high school senior DE from Ohio committed to Ohio State. When Hayes was fired he decided to look around and ended up at Clemson and played an integral role on the 81 national championship team.

But wait there is more....

Mitch Hyatt is Dan's nephew. Mitch's mom raised Dan as a single parent and Dan was his father figure. Mitch also ended up at Clemson and is currently starting his 4th year at LT...including of course 2016 Clemson's only other National Championship...

Last edited by CU Tiger : 12-31-2018 at 04:42 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:09 PM   #18171
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

"Happy Hour" (2p-closing at my local) special at Hardee's is surprisingly solid cheap lunch. It's the "double slider" for $1.00 (reg. price is $1.75).

Don't think of it as a Krystal/White Castle competitor, it's more of a "this vs McDouble" kind of thing. And at the special pricing, it kills the Mc2.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:25 PM   #18172
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
"Happy Hour" (2p-closing at my local) special at Hardee's is surprisingly solid cheap lunch. It's the "double slider" for $1.00 (reg. price is $1.75).

Don't think of it as a Krystal/White Castle competitor, it's more of a "this vs McDouble" kind of thing. And at the special pricing, it kills the Mc2.

Nice.

I haven't been to a Hardee's in a while (not one close to me). We trade off between Wendy's and CFA. Zaxby's for a chicken salad (they really are better than CFA with salads).
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:31 PM   #18173
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Nice.

I haven't been to a Hardee's in a while (not one close to me).

The downside with Hardee's -- aside from their pretty outrageous normal prices on stuff -- is that they're incredibly inconsistent. There's one really good one about 30 mins north of here, the new one next to Target here (where I went today) is pretty good though not great, and across town here is one that's just awful, as are most of the ones you run into.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:22 PM   #18174
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just booked flights today (ATL to LAS for me, MEM to LAS for the kid) for an April trip to Vegas.

My bucket list is short but doing Vegas with the kid once he turns 21 has been on it for a while.

He turns 21 on a Tuesday, his plane leaves for Vegas the following evening after class (he has no classes on Thurs & Good Friday holiday is next).
Old 12-31-2018, 06:49 PM   #18175
21C
College Prospect

If you are spending NYE alone (like I did) then consider joining the Twitter #joinin chat. There are a lot of lonely people in the world so either share your stories or help lift some spirits. I found it very rewarding (Aussie and British NYE so far).
Old 12-31-2018, 09:43 PM   #18176
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Just booked flights today (ATL to LAS for me, MEM to LAS for the kid) for an April trip to Vegas.

My bucket list is short but doing Vegas with the kid once he turns 21 has been on it for a while.

He turns 21 on a Tuesday, his plane leaves for Vegas the following evening after class (he has no classes on Thurs & Good Friday holiday is next).

ME and my friends go every march for the NCAA tournament. Lemme know if you want any tips/ advice/ suggestions.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:56 PM   #18177
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
ME and my friends go every march for the NCAA tournament. Lemme know if you want any tips/ advice/ suggestions.

Thanks. Still a little bit ... agog ... that this might actually happen frankly.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:24 AM   #18178
Edward64
Head Coach

We made ribs in a crock pot. The meat literally fell off, super tender.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:12 PM   #18179
RainMaker
General Manager

The Sometimes Stranger: Night after night, this Plano man visits his wife with Alzheimer's | Better Living | Dallas News
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:22 AM   #18180
Edward64
Head Coach

This is one weird mo-fo.

Holy cow! One-eyed calf is worshipped as a god in India | Daily Mail Online
Old 01-12-2019, 01:39 AM   #18181
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

On my arrivals list for Saturday..

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 01-12-2019 at 01:43 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:57 AM   #18182
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
On my arrivals list for Saturday.

Should probably get an autograph
Old 01-12-2019, 05:32 AM   #18183
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I'll save the registration paper to pass on to my grandchildren.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:34 PM   #18184
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:20 AM   #18185
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

My mom still thinks LOL means "Lots of Love", so she LOL's at a lot in weird spots.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:40 AM   #18186
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
On my arrivals list for Saturday..

He never should have slapped that kid.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:42 AM   #18187
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenCrest Games View Post
My mom still thinks LOL means "Lots of Love", so she LOL's at a lot in weird spots.

In my company (well, one segment of my company), LOL means "little old lady." It was...slightly difficult to wrap my head around at first.

"Relight furnace, customer is cold LOL."
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:57 AM   #18188
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Brian Velasco, drummer for Filipino rock band Razorback livestreamed his suicide today. He jumped off a 34-story building and had the camera rolling all the way down.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:21 AM   #18189
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Just a reminder to laugh every once in a while

Old 01-19-2019, 01:32 PM   #18190
cuervo72
Head Coach

Fox college basketball is using the NBA on NBC (Roundball Rock) music??
Old 01-20-2019, 12:15 PM   #18191
digamma
Torchbearer

"I will dog walk you" might be the best line in the history of twitter.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:55 PM   #18192
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
"I will dog walk you" might be the best line in the history of twitter.

Sounds hilarious. What's the context?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:13 PM   #18193
digamma
Torchbearer

Cliff's notes version: Tomi Lahren (sp?) called Cardi B stupid, and Cardi's response was, "Leave me alone I will dog walk you."
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:43 PM   #18194
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Cliff's notes version: Tomi Lahren (sp?) called Cardi B stupid, and Cardi's response was, "Leave me alone I will dog walk you."

I'm surprised CB can type.

(tho I may be giving too much credit)
Old 01-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #18195
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Lol... Tomi Lahren vs Cardi B has Death Match written all over it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:30 AM   #18196
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Man who won one dollar on the lottery asks for his winnings to be paid by giant check | Daily Mail Online
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:11 AM   #18197
PilotMan
Head Coach

It's the uplifting story we all need.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:13 AM   #18198
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

My wife just called me to share something funny that she had just read. So she was laughing when she called. The moment I picked up the phone, she tripped and shouted "NO" or "OH" or something to that effect as I heard a crash.

So, from my perspective, I picked up the phone, heard my wife sobbing uncontrollably (my misinterpretation of her laughter), and screaming NO.

It is amazing how quickly things go through your brain. I though one of our kids had somehow just gotten killed at school or something. My heart is still racing.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:00 PM   #18199
cuervo72
Head Coach

Does anyone really care if cold items go in blue bags and other stuff in white bags at the grocery store? (Especially if it is below freezing outside?)
Old 01-22-2019, 08:16 PM   #18200
spleen1015
Coordinator

It is odd to me that in the Dominican Summer League the Brewers and Indians have a cooperative team and there are 13 teams that have 2 teams in the league.