Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2019, 07:03 PM   #18251
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I think director Denis Villeneuve said they're going with two movies.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:33 PM   #18252
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Thanks for the heads up! Dune is one of my favorite books (but not #2 or #3, way too weird).

The David Lynch movie version really sucked but thought the Sci-Fy (?) series was pretty decent.

TBH, I'm resigned to be disappointed. I don't think you can put Dune into a 2 or 2.5 hour movie. I would much prefer a Netflix season.

You think #2 and #3 are weird, try #4.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:55 PM   #18253
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So I finished the first week of a new job this week. I've finally moved from the world of fast food into the world of JR level IT department!
Old 02-01-2019, 10:23 PM   #18254
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
You think #2 and #3 are weird, try #4.

I don't really remember God Emperor but am pretty sure I liked it better than #2 and #3.

When I read Dune in like a day, I remember rushing to get the other 2 that had been published at that time and being thoroughly disappointed (and confused).

TBF, I should give them all a try again but there is so many good books out there now.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:05 PM   #18255
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So I finished the first week of a new job this week. I've finally moved from the world of fast food into the world of JR level IT department!

I wore pants today. That was my victory.

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:11 PM   #18256
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Season 13 better happen

Though from my understanding Mst3k isn't doing shorts because netflix requires everything a certain format standard such as widescreen.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 02-01-2019 at 11:15 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:27 PM   #18257
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

lol McD's lost big mac trademark

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKCN1P92JA
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:05 PM   #18258
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

If you read the article however the decision makes zero sense.

If it's as bad as the article makes it appear (and it's a Reuters article) honestly I'd like to see some old fashioned retaliation in U.S. trade policy.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:04 AM   #18259
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So somewhere in the studio, the guys in Foreigner must have been all like "fuck writing the rest of this song" just keep repeating "cold as ice". And then they did rails off a teenage girl's stomach?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:06 PM   #18260
RainMaker
General Manager

Does anyone get dreams where they have to pee really bad in it and then wake up having to pee really bad?
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:09 PM   #18261
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yes. They typically involve trying to find a semi-private bathroom but either they are all occupied or they are not private at all but are basically in plain view. I figure that's my mind's way of preventing me from letting go and pissing the bed.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:23 PM   #18262
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My wife is watching 90 day fiancé. Wtf.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:27 PM   #18263
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Yes. They typically involve trying to find a semi-private bathroom but either they are all occupied or they are not private at all but are basically in plain view. I figure that's my mind's way of preventing me from letting go and pissing the bed.

Mine are the exact same except normally needing to take a dump. I can’t comment on whether that means I’m full of shit or not, but it seems likely. In all seriousness, those dreams are the worst.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:28 PM   #18264
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
If you read the article however the decision makes zero sense.

If it's as bad as the article makes it appear (and it's a Reuters article) honestly I'd like to see some old fashioned retaliation in U.S. trade policy.

I'm with Jon on this one - that sounds like a horrible decision. My (admittedly non-professional) initial thought is that the decision has to be something along the lines of a trademark on "Big Mac" shouldn't stop a store named "Supermac's" from expanding, but it certainly seems to sound like the ruling invalidates the entire "Big Mac" trademark.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:26 PM   #18265
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I'm with Jon on this one - that sounds like a horrible decision. My (admittedly non-professional) initial thought is that the decision has to be something along the lines of a trademark on "Big Mac" shouldn't stop a store named "Supermac's" from expanding, but it certainly seems to sound like the ruling invalidates the entire "Big Mac" trademark.

There was a reddit comment on this that got a ton of attention. I can't for a moment validate the truth to this, but it offered some additional explanation:

Quote:
To explain it a bit further:

McDonalds trademarked "BigMac" as a name for products and locations. The important part is "AND LOCATIONS".

So then they stopped Irish chain "Supermacs" from expanding into Europe, because "people might get confused when a "Supermac"-restaurant opens up next to a "Big Mac"-restaurant"

Supermacs and later european courts said "Wait a minute...There are no restaurants called "Big Mac"! We are going to cancel your trademark, because not only did you lie about usage, you also friviously used this lie to damage the business of a competitor"

And now we are back to the original trademark, that talked about locations...AND PRODUCTS. Because products and locations were included under one trademark, they now have lost BOTH. Not only can everyone now open a restaurant called "Big Mac", they also can sell burgers called "Big Macs"
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:38 AM   #18266
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Texas zoo will name cockroach after your ex, feed it to meerkat on Valentine's Day | | kptv.com
Old 02-08-2019, 07:30 AM   #18267
PilotMan
Head Coach

It's funny to look back now and remember that I thought that a mail order book company was a stupid idea.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #18268
RainMaker
General Manager

Albert Finney's death reminds me how much I love Big Fish.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:26 PM   #18269
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
It's funny to look back now and remember that I thought that a mail order book company was a stupid idea.

My mom likes to tell the story of when she first saw McDonald's advertise the Egg McMuffin and thought to herself "I don't know much about business, but I know one thing for sure. Breakfast at a fast food restaurant is a horrible idea and will fail miserably."
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:37 PM   #18270
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I thought Netflix would fail miserably. Wondered why people would wait theee days to get a dvd in the mail when they could just go to blockbuster.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:57 PM   #18271
Kodos
Resident Alien

I remember laughing at the Patriots for picking Belichick as their coach. He was so terrible in Cleveland, I knew that the Patriots were doomed.

Maybe we should start a Shitty Predictions thread.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:06 PM   #18272
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I loved that anthony bennett pick
Old 02-08-2019, 03:19 PM   #18273
bhlloy
Coordinator

I feel like we need a forum cone of shame. I definitely laughed long, long and hard about Aaron Rodgers, and then I feel like I probably vocally doubled down on Goff as well after year 1 too...
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #18274
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think we've all had those.

I thought Joe Gibbs was going to win more Super Bowls with the Redskins when they brought him back.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #18275
PilotMan
Head Coach

I think Ed Helms in The Office, has ruined Ed Helms in literally everything else for me, forever. As in he's fucking awful.

Like Steam?

Old 02-08-2019, 10:41 PM   #18276
PilotMan
Head Coach

dola

I should offer a caveat. When he's not trying to carry the show (Hangover) he's fine, but if he's the lead, forget about it.

Like Steam?

Old 02-09-2019, 11:22 AM   #18277
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Shitty prediction...
My wife and I were driviggn home from the Music City Bowl when Clemson played Kentucky. We didnt have sat radio so we were stuck with the only channel we could pick up in far eastern TN/western NC...and they were doing one of those old school radio preview shows of Taylor Swift's 1st album. Her first single was rocketing up the country charts out and the full album was due that week (IIRC)

Anyway something about her voice just grates my wife's nerves. The first tiem she heard her he said "nails on a chalkboard" so we are listening to this show and I said
'I think she has a real nice voice but you will never hear from her again in another year or so. Her whole hook is young naive teenager, that cant carry on very long. Shes a 1 hit wonder.'

My wife still hates her and reminds me how wrong I am everytime we hear her.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:41 PM   #18278
RainMaker
General Manager

I thought the iPad was a dumb idea and that people wouldn't get rid of their laptops.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:24 PM   #18279
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I thought the iPad was a dumb idea and that people wouldn't get rid of their laptops.

The only people who like think tablets are replacing laptops, don't properly use their laptops. It's nice and all, but it can't hold a candle to my laptop for productivity.

Like Steam?

Old 02-10-2019, 12:26 PM   #18280
Critch
lolzcat

I remember years ago a lady I worked with telling me about setting up a wireless network in her house. I listened but was thinking "hah, what a pointless waste of time, is plugging your pc into the router really so much bother?".

Last edited by Critch : 02-10-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:18 PM   #18281
Edward64
Head Coach

"iPhone? No thanks I'll hang on to my Crackberry"

(circa 2008)

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-10-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:10 AM   #18282
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Continuing the bad predictions:

I was at a sports bar in 1999, and they had on a Bengals/Browns game, and I happened to watch what must have been one of Akili Smith's only good drives. He threw with authority, and after they scored, he was high-fiving his teammates and showing real leadership/emotion. And I thought to myself "Wow, he's really good. I see why the Bengals drafted him so high. Good for them."

(I just looked it up. He had five career TD passes, so it really was one of his only good moments).
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:34 AM   #18283
Kodos
Resident Alien

I was definitely in the "why would anyone want a tablet?" camp.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #18284
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I was definitely in the "why would anyone want a tablet?" camp.

I still am
Old 02-11-2019, 05:05 PM   #18285
Jstraub
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I remember laughing at the Patriots for picking Belichick as their coach. He was so terrible in Cleveland, I knew that the Patriots were doomed.

Maybe we should start a Shitty Predictions thread.

Regarding predictions... This one came to me today.

The Browns will be on the verge of a dynasty and/or super bowl appearance and either A.) Armageddon occurs or B.) The NFL will cease operating because of ... pick your reasons.

This would be so Browns.
Jstraub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:41 AM   #18286
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
How did parchment paper come to be used in kitchens? Who had the bright idea to run paper pulp through sulfuric acid, then put food on it and into the oven?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #18287
molson
General Manager

I hate it when restaurants don't print out what beers they have on tap. We get a 40 page menu of wine and cocktails but have to rely on the waiter's sometimes spotty memory for beer. And these are casual restaurants where plenty of people are ordering beer. So I have to wander up to the bar and and try to eyeball the tap handles.

What are you going to do about this, 2020 presidential candidates!?!?

Edit: I'll add that the local Whole Foods upstairs bar as their beers listed on a video screen, which is great, but the view of the screen is obstructed from where you actually buy the beer. So you have to wander over to the screen first before getting in line. Damn it. Fortunately there my girlfriend works as the bartender a lot so I just ask her to pour me something I'd like.

Last edited by molson : 02-12-2019 at 04:47 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #18288
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I hate it when restaurants don't print out what beers they have on tap. We get a 40 page menu of wine and cocktails but have to rely on the waiter's sometimes spotty memory for beer. And these are casual restaurants where plenty of people are ordering beer. So I have to wander up to the bar and and try to eyeball the tap handles.

What are you going to do about this, 2020 presidential candidates!?!?

TBH that happens because many restaurants change out their taps often, so a list becomes obsolete pretty quickly. If I owned a bar/restaurant I would have a chalkboard where people could see it easily and update that.

On the flip side, I hated when I worked in restaurants, someone asks what beer we have, I rattle off 18 different drafts, and they order a bud lite.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #18289
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Oh, and the worst is when the server goes "lemme check what we have". Why can't they at least provide you with a printed list?
Old 02-12-2019, 04:45 PM   #18290
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

On the flip side, I hated when I worked in restaurants, someone asks what beer we have, I rattle off 18 different drafts, and they order a bud lite.

I can kind of understand that - sometimes in these situations I completely blank out over the course of of the long reading and then just end up ordering something I'm sure they have rather than make them read it again.

I've definitely been to restaurants that either print out a daily list or have some kind of sticker in the menu, and I understand that a keg may be kicked by the time I get there and may only get my 3rd or 4th choice. That's cool, but it's just easier to have that info, in any format, before the waiter comes over (a chalkboard works fine too if it's visible from most of the tables). Especially if I'm traveling somewhere and they have something local, I might pull up a beer I don't know on ratebeer.com or something to get a sense of what it is. So I don't want to necessarily make a decision only in the seconds after a waiter rattles off 18 options, some of which I've never heard of.

Last edited by molson : 02-13-2019 at 11:03 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:46 PM   #18291
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Oh, and the worst is when the server goes "lemme check what we have". Why can't they at least provide you with a printed list?

yeah. No excuse not to know
Old 02-12-2019, 04:46 PM   #18292
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Just urinate in a bottle and no one will know the difference.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:49 PM   #18293
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
TBH that happens because many restaurants change out their taps often, so a list becomes obsolete pretty quickly. If I owned a bar/restaurant I would have a chalkboard where people could see it easily and update that.

If this were Facebook, I would "Love" this, and then start fove fake accounts just to add more Loves.

And that doesn't even touch the fact that the go-betweens ate usually college kids who care a lot less to get it right than older adults would.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-12-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:15 PM   #18294
RainMaker
General Manager

There is a bar here that has a giant chalkboard that lists the current beers. So much better than asking.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:25 PM   #18295
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
There is a bar here that has a giant chalkboard that lists the current beers. So much better than asking.

There's a small brewpub here that does the same. It's rather amazing to just be able to look up and pick a beer off the board.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:55 PM   #18296
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This Kuchar caddie story is wild.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:39 PM   #18297
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
This Kuchar caddie story is wild.

What a tone deaf moron. His agent tried to protect him and he still made it worse.

He needs to find a way to make it right before he costs himself endorsements.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #18298
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, i don't know what the "right" amount is, but you need to resolve this immediately.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:04 PM   #18299
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I secretly wonder if this is a shell story to protect the caddy from it being known/thought that he has a large sum of money.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #18300
stevew
Hall Of Famer

He coughed up another 45k.