Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #451
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'm generally not all that down on the acting...but that dude playing Dale is awful.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #452
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I'm generally not all that down on the acting...but that dude playing Dale is awful.

That's interesting since he's usually considered the most accomplished actor of the bunch.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:39 AM   #453
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
That's interesting since he's usually considered the most accomplished actor of the bunch.

yeah, I see that he has a lot of work to his credit, but he's Sam-Waterston-cringe-worthy to me. I think some of that has to do with some of the awful lines they have him spewing (is Lucas involved in the dialogue writing?). Just not a fan at all.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #454
Bad-example
College Starter

I've watched every episode and still don't know most of the character names. I think that speaks to the unremarkable writing, or perhaps more to my cognitive shortcomings.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #455
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Just wondering (since I didn't watch Deadwood & didn't recognize the actor), did the casting of Otis influence your feeling about him on TV?

I gather that the guy playing him has at least some sort of following, thinking of that made me wonder if your different impression was from a significantly difference in the actual character or if it might be from something along the lines of "the actor delivers the character better than the cartoonist/artist".

Maybe that's an odd question {shrug}, just kind of crossed my mind & figured I'd ask.
I haven't watched Deadwood, but I do like that character actor. Otis is right in his wheelhouse.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #456
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
I've watched every episode and still don't know most of the character names. I think that speaks to the unremarkable writing, or perhaps more to my cognitive shortcomings.

no, it's not you. I had to look up Dale's name (I just know him as the floppy hat dude). whenever someone uses a name other than Rick, Shane or Lori in this thread, I have to look it up
Old 10-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #457
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'll just ditto the name struggle thing, but what's interesting is that other than Rick & Shane, which names have stuck seem to vary. Not sure if that says something about the characters, about us, or both.

FTR, in addition to the those two, Dale's name was probably the first one to stick with me since Merle.

I think Darryl & T-Bone are now immediately identifiable to me by name, but that's something new to Season 2. I've almost got Lori's name down, but Andrea, the other woman, and the kids ... I still steadily whiff on.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #458
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I don't have too much trouble with the names, probably because I've read the comics and therefore have a pretty decent foundation from which to work from.

Even with that, I used to get Dale and Glenn confused and sometimes get Dale and Darryl confused, but I think it's all pretty straight right now.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #459
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Even with that, I used to get Dale and Glenn confused and sometimes get Dale and Darryl confused, but I think it's all pretty straight right now.

Ouch. Your post made me realize that Glenn never ever crossed my mind when I was putting the characters into their recognition tiers. Probably has something to do with his near invisibility (one real scene maybe?) so far this season.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #460
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Ouch. Your post made me realize that Glenn never ever crossed my mind when I was putting the characters into their recognition tiers. Probably has something to do with his near invisibility (one real scene maybe?) so far this season.

Glenn hasn't done much so far this season. But, this season has only been two episodes and has only spanned a couple of days. Glenn will get his due. Oh yes... More than his due given some awesome casting.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #461
MikeVic
Head Coach

I don't know the names at all (well, Rick and Shane I guess... and if you say someone else's name, maybe I know who you are talking about... but I can't sit there identifying anyone else).

I find the characters pretty dull, except for the hillbilly guy (is that Merle?), and I like when someone dies in hopes that they are replaced with a more interesting character. I'm still watching the show because I like the idea of it and they have some nice scenes once in awhile.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #462
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I find the characters pretty dull, except for the hillbilly guy (is that Merle?), and I like when someone dies in hopes that they are replaced with a more interesting character. I'm still watching the show because I like the idea of it and they have some nice scenes once in awhile.

That's Darryl. Merle is his brother who was left handcuffed on the roof and chopped his own hand off to escape.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #463
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think the last show where I could readily name the characters was Seinfeld. But I have trouble with names in general. Especially if I am put on the spot.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #464
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I didn't even know t-bones name till the last episode.. I really started out not liking darryl's character.. but his character has really grown on me in the past few episodes.. Don't like shane's brooding at all however..

I give tubby otis a 0% chance of making it back from the school alive

also, if otis was studying to be a paramedic.. wouldn't he have been a better choice to be doing triage surgery over mr vet?

Last edited by Ragone : 10-27-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #465
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
also, if otis was studying to be a paramedic.. wouldn't he have been a better choice to be doing triage surgery over mr vet?

I am not sure. I don't know how much surgical training a paramedic has. Wasn't he volunteer one anyway? I can't recall the exact bit of dialogue when he described what he did.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #466
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I am not sure. I don't know how much surgical training a paramedic has. Wasn't he volunteer one anyway? I can't recall the exact bit of dialogue when he described what he did.

I'm pretty sure he was volunteer
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:05 AM   #467
SteveMax58
College Starter

I've been DVR'ing & watching these episodes later in the week (usually Friday) so I've been avoiding this thread until after I see the latest episode.

I'll also confirm that the names are not engrained in my memory very much at all. Rick, Shane, and usually Lori now. Everybody else is just the old guy, asian dude, black dude, the deer hunter (which now has a completely different context...so I'll need to change it), blonde woman, woman who isnt blonde woman but also not Lori, and the random kids (one of which is Rick's son...maybe thats it?).

I thought ep2 was ok. Very much a tease/setup episode though. My wife asked me while we were watching it, "Is this show going to become 'Lost'?"...to which I said "Probably".

One thing I have to say that is starting to annoy me. The "Rick & Shane verbal heroism battles" are getting old. I get "what" they are trying to communicate but they just seem too contrived & illogical to me. IDK what they could do better but they are really not sitting well with me.

Rick: I need to leave my dieing son here without access to my blood so I can go get Lori just in case he dies...which will probably happen if I do leave.
Shane: You need to be here with your son...ya know...because he'll die if you dont.
Rick: Gah!!! His mother should be here & I need to go get her!! Its not right!
Shane: You know I'd take a bullet in my pee-pee for ya buddy, right? I mean...no shit...straight up. But I dont think you should go get her.
Rick: I gotta go get her...[collapses]
Shane: Phew...glad I didnt have to prove that one.

Last edited by SteveMax58 : 10-30-2011 at 07:07 AM.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #468
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Let's boogie
Old 10-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #469
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Welcome to the deep end, or rather, off the deep end.

Figured that's what was coming but still, damn.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:19 PM   #470
gi
College Prospect

Yeah, Shane's soul is going for a sun tan.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #471
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I was pretty sure right when Shane got back that Otis was the reason he got away.

But I was hoping it was in a positive, heroic way. And the second Shane seemed to be standing off by himself, I was suspecting it wasn't that way.

Brutal turn this one has taken, and really has me wondering (as someone who has not read the comics) what will happen with Shane as the series goes forward.

Oh yeah, and I'm beginning to get annoyed at Sophie.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #472
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Brutal turn this one has taken, and really has me wondering (as someone who has not read the comics) what will happen with Shane as the series goes forward.

That seems to be part of the beauty of it: as I understand it, his storyline is now completely diverged from the comic, so it's all new ground for him.

Quote:
Oh yeah, and I'm beginning to get annoyed at Sophie.

I was annoyed with her before she finished running up the creek bank.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #473
Swaggs
Coordinator

The television show has already diverged considerably from the comic, so outside of general settings/direction and a few important characters that I presume are coming (that are just too cool to pass up), I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen on the show.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #474
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
characters that I presume are coming (that are just too cool to pass up)

Which is where I suspect we'll also get the return of Merle, likely as a henchman of some sort for the next (human) bad guys.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:44 AM   #475
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Poor Otis.

That was pretty brutal. At first I was surprised that they had Shane roll up alone and had their "escape" happen off screen. But then... poor Otis. It's not just that Shane left him for dead to get away, but rather instead of killing the poor guy and leaving his freshly killed body as bait, he wings his leg making him an even bigger distraction and suffer horrificly painful death.

I found Shane's actions in that sense a very nice and sharp contrast to Rick's whole "deer speech" about why it was important for Carl to live. Sure, there is still some beauty left in the world, but it's so fleeting and what happened with Shane and Otis will be much more the reality as people get more and more desperate.

I am still not sure how the farm house has both electricity and running water.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:18 AM   #476
Bad-example
College Starter

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one having trouble keeping the character names straight. I was afraid my enormous alcohol intake was finally catching up with me.

Fast forwarded through all the scenes in the room with the injured kid, which improved the pace considerably. Pretty sure I didn't miss any important dialogue between the sheriff and his annoying wife.

'Curly' shaved his head. Now I guess I have to learn his real name.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:19 AM   #477
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Fast forwarded through all the scenes in the room with the injured kid, which improved the pace considerably. Pretty sure I didn't miss any important dialogue between the sheriff and his annoying wife.

You actually missed some good stuff.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:21 AM   #478
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I was thinking the farmhouse was on a NG generator. I also wonder if Zombie Otis will lead a pack towards the farmhouse, as that place would be a fresh memory.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:23 AM   #479
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
You actually missed some good stuff.

I'm starting to lose interest anyway, but it is good to hear they actually said something worth listening to.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:25 AM   #480
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lori's acting made Prison Break painful at times. I hope that she meets her doom soon.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:13 AM   #481
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am still not sure how the farm house has both electricity and running water.

Thank you. Was wondering that myself. I get that a generator (which, BTW, would be loud and would draw zombies and you never heard in any outside scenes) can provide the electricity if they have gas (which they must, their truck runs still), but the running hot water at an output similar to full civilization is a tough one to figure for a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:21 AM   #482
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Thank you. Was wondering that myself. I get that a generator (which, BTW, would be loud and would draw zombies and you never heard in any outside scenes) can provide the electricity if they have gas (which they must, their truck runs still), but the running hot water at an output similar to full civilization is a tough one to figure for a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere.

Maybe there is a generator or something else. I don't consider myself an expert of such things or really understand how it all works. Maybe there is a good explanation for it.

It wouldn't have hurt for someone new to ask some basic questions about the farm:

"How do you guys still have electricity and water?"

"Why don't you have anyone on look out or anything boarded up?"

Amy did reference the gate and, in the comic, there is a big fence around the property. Perhaps between that fence and their remote location - zombies seem to prefer urban areas - they haven't had much of an issue so far.

A small thing, but something that folks will undoubtedly make a big deal about. It doesn't bother me that much, but a little explanation wouldn't hurt, especially since everyone made such a big deal about having a hot shower and other creature comforts while at the CDC. Granted, they have been dealing with some pretty big issues since getting to the farm.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:43 AM   #483
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hmm, I hadn't recalled the hubbub about the CDC.

Running water and electricity and all there made complete sense to me. Not only is it a facility built by an organization with endless amounts of money (the government), but the specific purpose of the CDC was to fight disease. Since serious widespread disease==plague, it makes sense that the CDC would be designed to withstand a widespread plague and be self-sufficient, at least for a certain length of time, probably stretching months if not years.

Farmhouse, meh, not so much.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:51 AM   #484
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Hmm, I hadn't recalled the hubbub about the CDC.

Running water and electricity and all there made complete sense to me. Not only is it a facility built by an organization with endless amounts of money (the government), but the specific purpose of the CDC was to fight disease. Since serious widespread disease==plague, it makes sense that the CDC would be designed to withstand a widespread plague and be self-sufficient, at least for a certain length of time, probably stretching months if not years.

Farmhouse, meh, not so much.

I had no issue with the CDC having power and water.

The "hubbub" I was referring to was in-character hubbub. All the characters in the show kept going on and on about how great it was to have hot water and creature comforts. How rare and wonderful it was.

I think they actually explained the CDC power/water deal in some detail with the generator and those big oil drums or whatever were downstairs and all of that.

I found the the character's reaction and the explanation at the CDC to be a sharp contrast to what we've seen at the farm house. Then again, it hasn't been quite as long between events. Most of those people were living at that campsite for weeks before leaving to the CDC.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #485
Swaggs
Coordinator

Remember that they have moved on to rural Georgia. It is not at all unusual for a farmhouse to have well water (I don't know a ton about that particular part of the country, but I'd say it is more the norm for places outside towns around here) and a gasoline or natural gas generator would not be unusual, either. If it is natural gas, it would not be noisy (and, I'd guess it is, as they'd be conserving gasoline by now, I suspect).

As for the density of zombies, they appear where they lived/died, so there wouldn't be very many in the country. And, it appears as if people flocked to the city for protection and services when the outbreak first occurred, so even less than the occuppied homes. If Herschel's farm is several hundred acres and they turned away any roamers during the first few months of the outbreak, I'd say they are pretty safe at present.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:43 PM   #486
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Remember that they have moved on to rural Georgia. It is not at all unusual for a farmhouse to have well water (I don't know a ton about that particular part of the country, but I'd say it is more the norm for places outside towns around here) and a gasoline or natural gas generator would not be unusual, either. If it is natural gas, it would not be noisy (and, I'd guess it is, as they'd be conserving gasoline by now, I suspect).

As for the density of zombies, they appear where they lived/died, so there wouldn't be very many in the country. And, it appears as if people flocked to the city for protection and services when the outbreak first occurred, so even less than the occuppied homes. If Herschel's farm is several hundred acres and they turned away any roamers during the first few months of the outbreak, I'd say they are pretty safe at present.

I will easily buy this explanation.

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2011, 02:17 PM   #487
gi
College Prospect

My natural gas generator for my server room is very loud. Though I'm sure you can muffle it some if you tried.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:25 PM   #488
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't think that electric power or natural gas would necessarily be down...it's not like they got nuked or something to that effect. Now certain areas were probably broken. These people also don't have cell phones? Or laptops. Even if this is wonton apocalypse, the Zombies wouldn't care about destroying infrastructure.

And they need to find that girl because fake Jamie Lee Curtis is getting on my last nerve.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:51 PM   #489
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
These people also don't have cell phones? Or laptops.

Hmm ... I think there might be a question of whether (in this universe) they ever had them.

I mean, we've been told by the creator that zombies - as we know them in our popular culture - were unknown to the residents of the Walking Dead universe. Maybe that's not the only thing that's different.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:54 PM   #490
Easy Mac

It's been months since the invasion seemed to overwhelm everything. There's a reason there's a power company and water company. These things break without supervision.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #491
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I don't think that electric power or natural gas would necessarily be down...it's not like they got nuked or something to that effect. Now certain areas were probably broken. These people also don't have cell phones? Or laptops. Even if this is wonton apocalypse, the Zombies wouldn't care about destroying infrastructure.

Since I don't know much about this stuff, I can't say how long the infrastructure could maintain itself.

There was no power in Atlanta or the surrounding suburbs for example.

Likewise, would cell phone towers still be able to operate? Cell networks still up?
Old 10-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #492
Schmidty
Coordinator

Man, you guys piss and moan too much.

I'm enjoying it more this season than last season so far.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:57 PM   #493
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:

I am also tiring of the exposition between the Rick and Lori. I could give two shits about Lori.

Shane, on the other hand, is one of my favorite characters. At least he's got some depth to him, unlike everyone else, who might as well be red-shirt #2.

One thing that won't compute later if the show is like the comic is when Herschel asks what happens to Otis and then doesn't ask why Shane didn't bring his body back or if he doesn't send out a party to get him.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:24 PM   #494
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

And yet we've seen a herd of 30 or so Zombies plus 4 or 5 in the forest in 2 days that are within my-son's-been-shot-i'm-going-to-run-him-to-the-nearest-help distance? That seems to be a pretty high zombie density for them not to have some bother with it.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:29 PM   #495
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

And AMC isn't putting new episodes up online after the season premiere.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #496
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman View Post
And yet we've seen a herd of 30 or so Zombies plus 4 or 5 in the forest in 2 days that are within my-son's-been-shot-i'm-going-to-run-him-to-the-nearest-help distance? That seems to be a pretty high zombie density for them not to have some bother with it.

Well, the herds were on the highway and near a school (that could have been used as a temporary shelter, based on the fact that they had medical trailers set up in the parking lot) that required that Shane and Otis drove to it.

The only few that we've seen in/near the woods were the ones that followed Sophie and Rick in, the hanging camper, and the ones that were in the church.

Since they have showed a handful of campsites throughout the woods, I'm not seeing anything too unbelievable from that.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:37 PM   #497
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It is $3/episode on iTunes. I wish Dexter had a similar model.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:48 AM   #498
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, it would have to be well water and a gas generator. As someone mentions, you need a power company and a water company... I think laptops and cell phones would be generally useless by now. It's not like this is a CONTAGION (the movie) type outbreak, where just 15-20% of people are infected. This is a full-on, 99.9% of the population has been eradicated event. There are no more cell networks or internet infrastructure. Everything is down.

I was actually wondering how they had white bread to make Rick a sandwich, that was my biggest wtf of the night.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #499
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lol, agreed on the white bread.

Also...these people live in a world where nobody has ever fashioned a spear? Phalanx defense for the win.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #500
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Yeah, it would have to be well water and a gas generator. As someone mentions, you need a power company and a water company... I think laptops and cell phones would be generally useless by now. It's not like this is a CONTAGION (the movie) type outbreak, where just 15-20% of people are infected. This is a full-on, 99.9% of the population has been eradicated event. There are no more cell networks or internet infrastructure. Everything is down.

I was actually wondering how they had white bread to make Rick a sandwich, that was my biggest wtf of the night.

Heh... the white bread caught my eye, too.