Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #151
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I was impressed with the bit of Chris Chiozza I saw last night for the Wizards.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:05 PM   #152
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I've been enjoying the young Suns team - esp Ayton. In just 25 minutes or so in the last two games, he's been putting up 17-20 points and 10+ boards. He's also been fairly active on defense in terms of switching and guarding perimeter guys. This with the abysmal post passes by guards/wings in the Summer League and most teams still double teaming him.

What's your thoughts on Bender? I didn't catch the Magic game where he looks like he played OK, but otherwise definitely hasn't looked like a 3rd year guy from the games I did see.

The Kings/Suns game a few days ago was hilariously bad re: entry passes. Both Ayton and Bagley would get decent position in the post only to have the entry pass thrown straight to the defender. Ayton has looked good, but it's hard to judge bigs with the lack of quality pick and roll play with the guards. Ayton looks like he has good touch around the hoop, but will be interesting to see during the regular season when there's some better spacing, although who are the Suns running at PG this year?
Old 07-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #153
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Bender is a project, he's still just 20 (the second youngest guy on the team after Ayton). The hope is Igor can work with him and help him develop. He has a lot of the physical gifts, but hasn't put it all together yet. This is a big year for him, if he doesn't show improvement - he may be gone.

I don't think the organization has a ton of faith in Bender and Chriss. They've added Ariza, Josh Jackson, Bridges and resigned TJ Warren over the past two seasons. That tells me they think maybe one of the two will pan out. Personally, I think Chriss is useless and should be cut/traded now - but I think Bender has a chance to get it.

At PG, they are putting a lot of hope into Brandon Knight. He's completely healthy (finally) and has been working with the team in Summer League. He only has two years left (and is still just 26), so I think their hope is either he gets back to a % of what he was in Milwaukee or completely flames out and they can move him as an expiring next year. Either way, I think he's just a placeholder until Okobo gets some experience - they seem to really love him. I also wouldn't be surprised if Shaq Harrison makes the roster and ends up getting some time there if Knight struggles.

The hope is for the team to win 30-40 games and show some improvement this year. They will have around $42 mil in salary expiring after this season and should be able to sign 1 fairly big FA next offseason. So, 19/20 is when they expect to finally push for a playoff spot.

Last edited by Arles : 07-11-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:48 PM   #154
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Summer League is the best. The announcers have compared Mitchell Robinson to Marcus Camby, Hassan Whiteside (without the issues), and Anthony freaking Davis this quarter. Meanwhile the Knicks are down 16 to a Celtics team that started 6'7 Jarell Eddie at center since Robert Williams is still out.

Overall for the Celtics, quite frustrating how Williams start has gone. The coaches are saying some nice things which are being drowned out by the noise of him sleeping through calls & a flight, but it would've been nice to see him play more than 6 minutes before having a knee contusion so I could get super hyped. Semi Ojeleye showing enough offensive growth & confidence he deserves some rotation minutes, though he may not consistently get them to start the season (unless Marcus Smart signs an offer sheet elsewhere we don't match). Injuries always happen though, and he's got that positional versatility that helps. Jabari Bird looking good too, and I really hope they cut Abdel Nader & give Bird roster spot #14/15. Yabusele showing a little growth across the board too & has that big man 3&D skill set, but I still think he's (at least) a season away from being able to play minutes vs real NBA teams. Kadeem Allen was trash coming out of Arizona & has shown nothing to change my mind in 2 years of summer league/D-League action.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:31 AM   #155
Groundhog
Coordinator

Poor ole DeRozan, though he'd finally escape Playoff LeBron...
Old 07-18-2018, 09:00 AM   #156
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Might be the greatest move of Pops career. Dump a guy for nearly full value and send him to probably the least desirable non Cleveland non Orlando destination.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:48 AM   #157
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm not sure I follow what Toronto has done here - DeRozan might be a very flawed star, but he'd embraced playing in Toronto and even if you think he was overpaid he still surely had way more value in a trade than getting an unmotivated Kawhi Leonard for one year who wants to be on the west coast and is almost certain to leave for nothing next offseason.

Or put another way, Toronto is definitely more talented on paper, but does anyone think this is enough to get them out of the east this year?
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:07 PM   #158
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I'm not sure I follow what Toronto has done here - DeRozan might be a very flawed star, but he'd embraced playing in Toronto and even if you think he was overpaid he still surely had way more value in a trade than getting an unmotivated Kawhi Leonard for one year who wants to be on the west coast and is almost certain to leave for nothing next offseason.

Or put another way, Toronto is definitely more talented on paper, but does anyone think this is enough to get them out of the east this year?
(Healthy, motivated) Kawhi can be the best player on a championship team while Derozan can't.

Toronto had an inflection point coming up after next season when Kyle Lowry (who will be 33 then), and Serge Ibaka (who will be 30 then), will have their contracts expire and 30 year old Demar Derozan (who is actually a year older than Kawhi) has a player option he'll probably decline and look to sign a long term max deal. Why not swing for the fences instead of running back a team that probably peaks in the ECF or losing in the eastern semi's? Also, the Paul George example probably gives more hope to the Raptors that they can convince Kawhi to re-sign there.

But really I just think you're massively underrating the difference between (healthy, motivated) Kawhi & Demar Derozan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Might be the greatest move of Pops career. Dump a guy for nearly full value and send him to probably the least desirable non Cleveland non Orlando destination.
Nah, drafting Tim Duncan is still the best move of his career. And I really don't think Toronto is nearly as bad as you think.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:11 PM   #159
bhlloy
Coordinator

Sure, but what are the chances Toronto ever sees healthy and motivated Kawhi? And even if they do, are they good enough to take advantage of it in the one season he's around?

PG13 is an interesting comp, but I don't remember him basically coming out and saying he'd only sign in LA and there was zero chance he would resign with his new team in the hours after the deal was announced.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:53 PM   #160
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

As a Raptors fan I'm not very happy with this move. We actually had a borderline star/perennial all-star want to stay in Toronto. Not only want to stay, but embrace the country and the team. I understand why for basketball reasons this trade was made. Your ceiling with Kawhi is higher, if he bolts, you clean up your cap earlier in a year where your young guys may be ready to step up. I get all that. But from a personal perspective this sucks. Winning championships are hard, only 1 of 30 teams will do so. This trade gives the Raptors a <5% chance at winning the finals? Maybe a 25% chance of getting there? Compared to a <1% chance of winning and maybe a 5% chance of getting there? I'd rather ride with the guy who wants to be here, committed to be here, even if we never make the finals, than take a shot at being great with a guy who doesn't seem to want to be here by giving up on one who does. Ringzzz aren't everything. It kinda feels like we broke up with our highschool sweetheart because a pretty lady smiled at us on the subway.

Last edited by nilodor : 07-18-2018 at 02:55 PM.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:57 PM   #161
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
It kinda feels like we broke up with our highschool sweetheart because a pretty lady smiled at us on the subway.

In this case, the hooker didn't really smile at you, she just said a night with you was better than the asshole she was with AND said that tomorrow she gon' find herself a REAL man.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #162
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
In this case, the hooker didn't really smile at you, she just said a night with you was better than the asshole she was with AND said that tomorrow she gon' find herself a REAL man.

That's better than the analogy in my head where you saw a pretty girl on the subway, dumped your sweetheart and then it got too dark so, yes, your analogy is better.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #163
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Sure, but what are the chances Toronto ever sees healthy and motivated Kawhi? And even if they do, are they good enough to take advantage of it in the one season he's around?

PG13 is an interesting comp, but I don't remember him basically coming out and saying he'd only sign in LA and there was zero chance he would resign with his new team in the hours after the deal was announced.
Maybe. But like how the Paul George to LA rumors were always from "his camp" so far all I've seen is one tweet from Chris Haynes saying a league source says Kawhi doesn't want to be in Toronto. Considering how inscrutable Kawhi's mindset has been the past year+ I'll wait to see something more concrete before deciding there's zero chance he'll re-sign. (Also, Zach Lowe brings up the point that if the Raptors really get that feeling they can try to flip him to the Lakers or Clippers mid-season. You won't get a king's ransom, but you could add another interesting young guy or two like Kuzma, Josh Hart, Montrezl Harrell, Jerome Robinson or maybe even Lonzo or Shai Gilgeous-Alexander to add to their group of frisky young players.)

In that vein, I think the Raptors were already considering moving on from the Lowry/DeRozan "core" and weren't looking forward to potentially giving 30 year old DeRozan a max contract in the summer of 2020 or an extension this upcoming one. Even for good players like Blake Griffin or John Wall those max extensions look like albatrosses.
Quote:
As a Raptors fan I'm not very happy with this move. We actually had a borderline star/perennial all-star want to stay in Toronto. Not only want to stay, but embrace the country and the team. I understand why for basketball reasons this trade was made. Your ceiling with Kawhi is higher, if he bolts, you clean up your cap earlier in a year where your young guys may be ready to step up. I get all that. But from a personal perspective this sucks. Winning championships are hard, only 1 of 30 teams will do so. This trade gives the Raptors a <5% chance at winning the finals? Maybe a 25% chance of getting there? Compared to a <1% chance of winning and maybe a 5% chance of getting there? I'd rather ride with the guy who wants to be here, committed to be here, even if we never make the finals, than take a shot at being great with a guy who doesn't seem to want to be here by giving up on one who does. Ringzzz aren't everything. It kinda feels like we broke up with our highschool sweetheart because a pretty lady smiled at us on the subway.
I hear you on this, but on the flip side the Celtics traded a loveable All-Star in IT for the more talented but mercurial Kyrie Irving and I got over it pretty quickly, despite the media still insinuating Kyrie won't re-sign and he'll leave for the Knicks next summer ( )

If Kawhi keeps pulling the same BS he has in SA for the last year fans might still hate him, but even if he doesn't commit as long as he shows up and plays hard I think it'll be easy to root for him. He's an immensely likable player on the court - if Raptors fans think OG Anunoby or Kyle Lowry are exciting on ball perimeter defenders...

Last edited by BishopMVP : 07-18-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #164
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I hear you on this, but on the flip side the Celtics traded a loveable All-Star in IT for the more talented but mercurial Kyrie Irving and I got over it pretty quickly, despite the media still insinuating Kyrie won't re-sign and he'll leave for the Knicks next summer ( )

If Kawhi keeps pulling the same BS he has in SA for the last year fans might still hate him, but even if he doesn't commit as long as he shows up and plays hard I think it'll be easy to root for him. He's an immensely likable player on the court - if Raptors fans think OG Anunoby or Kyle Lowry are exciting on ball perimeter defenders...

I think it's a bit different than moving on from IT because he was only there for 1 year. We saw DeMar grow from a raw but talented athlete into a top 20ish player in the league. The best players we had before him, Vince, whined his was out, TMac, same deal, Bosh, left first chance he could. DeMar is the first who stayed. Imagine if Parish left, then Bird left, then McHale left all at their first chance, then Pierce comes around, want to stay and you send him off for a Garnett or someone like that. (I get that your guys are way better than who the Raptors have lost but bare with me...).

I have no doubt that if Leonard is engaged I'm going to love watching him play, I don't think it will change the way I feel.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:27 PM   #165
Johnny93g
College Starter

Good for the Raptors. Take a shot!!!

Can't believe a city like Toronto coming off 59 wins is referred to as one of the least desirable places in the NBA. Ignorance....
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:29 PM   #166
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
I think it's a bit different than moving on from IT because he was only there for 1 year. We saw DeMar grow from a raw but talented athlete into a top 20ish player in the league. The best players we had before him, Vince, whined his was out, TMac, same deal, Bosh, left first chance he could. DeMar is the first who stayed. Imagine if Parish left, then Bird left, then McHale left all at their first chance, then Pierce comes around, want to stay and you send him off for a Garnett or someone like that. (I get that your guys are way better than who the Raptors have lost but bare with me...).

I have no doubt that if Leonard is engaged I'm going to love watching him play, I don't think it will change the way I feel.

We saw what a Derozan led team can do. Frankly, if that's good enough, then lets be losers all our lives. The Raptors are actually taking a shot to be more. Will it work, who knows, but good pn them for not being satisfied!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:42 PM   #167
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

Isaiah was here for 2.5 seasons/3 playoff runs & grew from afterthought/6th man to someone genuinely in the MVP discussion, so I think the growth was there, but yes he didn't go through free agency & we didn't have the history of star players wanting out. But Kawhi Leonard is so much better than DeRozan (and Kyrie!) and gives Toronto a real chance to win the NBA championship they didn't have with DeRozan. And while I like Poeltl some too, you didn't even have to give up Anunoby or Siakam or a real 1st round pick! And you got Danny Green too!
Old 07-18-2018, 05:48 PM   #168
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Can't believe a city like Toronto coming off 59 wins is referred to as one of the least desirable places in the NBA. Ignorance....

Isnt the effective income tax rate almost triple for Toronto players compared to any other NBA city?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:13 PM   #169
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm not even sure Kawhi is ever pictured in a Raptors jersey, let alone plays a healthy/motivated year in Toronto.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:41 PM   #170
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Good for the Raptors. Take a shot!!!

It has nothing to do with the city itself, Toronto is fine. Nobody really wants to play for the Padres, but San Diego is a fantastic place to live. I think even the southerners who would never leave the south for California, could manage some happiness there
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:52 PM   #171
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Isnt the effective income tax rate almost triple for Toronto players compared to any other NBA city?

Except you get paid in US dollars and a lot goods/services are pretty close in numeric value to the US. Except books, fuck whoever sets prices for books.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:41 AM   #172
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Except you get paid in US dollars and a lot goods/services are pretty close in numeric value to the US. Except books, fuck whoever sets prices for books.

The exchange rate is only meaningful if you actually spend most of your time and (importantly) money there. I don't get the impression most pro athletes do either when they play in Canada (sure, there are exceptions). They likely rent (or buy-to-eventually-sell) fully-furnished places, lease cars for dirt cheap by doing ad spots for a dealership, shop for luxury items in destination cities while on the road (which is 50% of the time), live and vacation abroad in the offseason, etc. I'd be far more concerned about taxes than exchange rate if I was in their shoes.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:13 PM   #173
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I'd be far more concerned about taxes than exchange rate if I was in their shoes.

Yes, but you're also pretty likely to be smarter than the average NBA player.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #174
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Gotta love the "defense, we talking 'bout DEFENSE?" (paraphrasing) speech by Jabari Parker.

Have fun with that Chi-town, have fun with that.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:35 PM   #175
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Gotta love the "defense, we talking 'bout DEFENSE?" (paraphrasing) speech by Jabari Parker.

Have fun with that Chi-town, have fun with that.
If you're looking to be mildly exciting to the casual fan and hope your 2 good young bigs develop while also tanking, then paying $40m/y to Zach Lavine & Jabari Parker makes perfect sense! I don't think that front office is that smart though.[
Quote:
“Well, I don’t know I just stick to my strengths,” Parker said. “Look at everybody in the league. They don’t pay players to play defense. There’s only two players, historically, who play defense. I’m not gonna say that I won’t, but to say that’s a weakness is like saying that’s everybody’s weakness. I’ve scored 30s and 20s off of guys who say they try to play defense.”
PS I'm just really curious who the two players are who do play defense

Btw, speaking of restricted free agents, Marcus Smart re-signing with the Celtics for 4/$52 (no options). Some people think it's a small overpay, but I have no problem with it, especially when RFA's who don't play defense like Parker and Lavine just got $20m/y offers. I don't think all 3 of Smart/Kyrie/Rozier are on the Celtics after this coming season, and this gives them some certainty if Kyrie does want to sign elsewhere or Rozier gets a monster offer sheet in a much better market for RFA's, or a tradeable asset if Rozier wants to re-sign at a reasonable number or a superstar big man (a.k.a. AD) does become available.

Good chance the Celtics will trade Marcus Morris now to avoid going into the luxury tax. Not that this years tax bill would matter, but pushing a potential repeater tax bill back a year to 2022 could save a ton of money down the road. Abdel Nader also should be (/needs to be!) gone by August 1, and after his summer league performance Jabari Bird is an interesting player. If I was the Hawks or the Kings I'd be willing to toss him a 3 year offer at $3-4m/y or so & dare the Celtics to go over the tax line and match, but I doubt those franchises are smart enough to do that.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:32 PM   #176
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Melo traded to the Hawks with a 1st round pick in a paper move for Dennis Schroder (and some other flotsam involved.) Saves the Thunder like $100 million in salary/repeater tax & is better than them buying him out/stretching him. Hawks will do the buy out, sounds like Melo to the Rockets is most likely.

Thunder actually seem happy to get Dennis Schroder... I don't get it. It's Reggie Jackson 2.0 except he's also facing a felony assault & battery charge. I know the Thunder want another ballhandler next to Westbrook, but nothing I've seen from Schroder indicates he'll be happy playing second fiddle when it matters.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:50 PM   #177
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Melo traded to the Hawks with a 1st round pick in a paper move for Dennis Schroder (and some other flotsam involved.) Saves the Thunder like $100 million in salary/repeater tax & is better than them buying him out/stretching him. Hawks will do the buy out, sounds like Melo to the Rockets is most likely.

Thunder actually seem happy to get Dennis Schroder... I don't get it. It's Reggie Jackson 2.0 except he's also facing a felony assault & battery charge. I know the Thunder want another ballhandler next to Westbrook, but nothing I've seen from Schroder indicates he'll be happy playing second fiddle when it matters.

Indeed, his insistence on being "the guy" is what ultimately led to Jeff Teague being sent out (well, that & Teague's impending salary escalation at the time).

I can't imagine him not being an issue in the OKC lockerroom before the season is done, a deadline flip wouldn't surprise me in the slightest (if anybody is willing to take on the contract)
Old 07-19-2018, 05:15 PM   #178
bhlloy
Coordinator

I can't understand why the Rockets (or anyone) are falling over themselves to get Melo once he's cut far more than I don't understand why the Thunder are willing to take a chance on Schroeder.

A guy who needed 15 shots a game to get 16 points last year and was a pretty significant negative on both ends of the floor. What could possibly go wrong with that>
Old 07-19-2018, 05:34 PM   #179
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
If you're looking to be mildly exciting to the casual fan and hope your 2 good young bigs develop while also tanking, then paying $40m/y to Zach Lavine & Jabari Parker makes perfect sense! I don't think that front office is that smart though.[PS I'm just really curious who the two players are who do play defense
GarPax belong on the GM list that includes Elgin Baylor and Isiah Thomas. Paxson especially because he has been incompetent for a much longer time.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:06 AM   #180
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
I can't understand why the Rockets (or anyone) are falling over themselves to get Melo once he's cut far more than I don't understand why the Thunder are willing to take a chance on Schroeder.

A guy who needed 15 shots a game to get 16 points last year and was a pretty significant negative on both ends of the floor. What could possibly go wrong with that>

Also don't understand it. Downgrade from Ariza at this stage - hell, I think Ennis should be starting over him, even.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #181
miami_fan
Coordinator

I understand the doubt from everyone including myself. That being said, I get the intrigue with Carmelo if I am the Rockets. I trust D'Antoni's offensive mind more than I trust Billy Donovan's. I trust Harden and Paul to get the ball to Melo in his spots more than I trust Westbrook and George. Fianlly, I like whatever Melo gives me in those circumstances at the salary I sign him to than I do the $27 mil he was getting in OKC. That last part is the key, especially if it is a one year deal.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:16 PM   #182
miami_fan
Coordinator

The Lakers offseason wheeling and dealing continues!

Shams is reporting that they have agreed to a deal with... MICHAEL BEASLEY!

This news made me smile.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-20-2018, 10:10 PM   #183
Groundhog
Coordinator

Next signing feels like it might be Delonte West?
Old 07-20-2018, 11:08 PM   #184
Atocep
Coordinator

The NBA has never needed a Hard Knocks-like show more than it does right now.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:34 AM   #185
JPhillips
General Manager

Kevin Love adds four years and 120 million to his Cavs deal. I guess the Cavs don't believe they stink now.

But they do.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:01 PM   #186
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wade offered 8.3m per in China after taxes. Probably would be great for his Shoe deal as well(Chinese company)
Old 07-24-2018, 03:03 PM   #187
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cavs are only 1 player away from being a Finals team again.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:04 PM   #188
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Next signing feels like it might be Delonte West?

LeBron’s mom already rode west.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM   #189
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Kevin Love adds four years and 120 million to his Cavs deal. I guess the Cavs don't believe they stink now.

But they do.
If the Cavs make the playoffs as the 8th seed in the East (and lose their 2019 top-10 protected 1st as a result) I think Dan Gilbert will legitimately think he proved to LeBron that Cleveland can win without him. What an egomaniac.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:28 PM   #190
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Rumors out now that Kobe wants to come back to play with LeBron.

It's probably not true, but I really hope it's true. Entertainment TV at its finest.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:53 PM   #191
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hot take alert

Overseas Elite probably would not be the worst team in the NBA
Old 08-04-2018, 05:33 PM   #192
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Hot take alert

Overseas Elite probably would not be the worst team in the NBA

I was always surprised Pargo didn't stick in the NBA, but I guess he was in that tier where he could earn 2/3 times more in Europe than what NBA teams were probably throwing at him.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:46 PM   #193
Atocep
Coordinator

Centers are the new Running Backs.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:04 AM   #194
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

Kind of tells a story in that the NBA is in need of a Bill James type to help these front offices locate value. Amazing how much wasted money in in them 2016 contracts.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:44 PM   #195
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

It's an interesting bit of info, but to be fair how many of those deals looked like good ideas even when ink was put to paper? It also leaves out Capella who is a better indicator of where the league is going re: bigs - and even Cousins is an outlier of those included considering his injury.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:19 PM   #196
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bunch of rule changes. Shot clock reset to 14 secs after offensive rebounds sounds like a good change
Old 08-24-2018, 05:11 AM   #197
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Bunch of rule changes. Shot clock reset to 14 secs after offensive rebounds sounds like a good change

It’s a good rule. FIBA been doing it for awhile.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:31 AM   #198
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I like the FIBA goaltending rule. Hopefully that makes it here.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:13 AM   #199
miami_fan
Coordinator

I really enjoyed reading Jackie MacMullan's series on mental health in the NBA. Hopefully the NBA and other leagues continues to make progress in helping the players who are suffering from mental health issues.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:28 PM   #200
miami_fan
Coordinator

Former Sacramento Kings executive Jeffrey David under federal investigation for alleged embezzlement

If you are like me and had no idea why David Stern appointed this guy to be the Kings' chief revenue officer, here is a local article.

Sacramento Kings owners stunned by allegations against former exec | The Sacramento Bee