Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-08-2020, 10:06 AM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Major (or minor) changes that you would make to different sports

Thread title is self-explanatory.

At some point, things will come back to normal.

Pretend that you were made the Czar of a sport (or sports). Pretend further that the disruption caused by COVID-19 put you in a sort of Constitutional Convention role where you got to reevaluate the thing from the ground up make whatever changes you wanted, no matter how big or small, and they would be enacted when things restart.

What changes would you make?

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
tarcone
Coordinator

Raise the pitching mound back to 1968 height

Go to a 3-2 count

Have minimum dimensions for new construction of stadiums to eliminate the band box stadiums

One foot in the batters box after each pitch. No stepping out with both feet

Invest in the sport itself. Expand youth leagues. Provide free tickets to children under 12.

End blackouts in markets with teams

Baseball is my choice of sports, if you didnt figure that out

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:33 AM   #3
weegeebored
High School Varsity

1. No more replays except for scoring plays. In theory, having replay should make the results more accurate overall. They don't. Over time, the wrong calls will balance out anyway, so why slow games down.
  2. Hold officials accountable. Seriously accountable, including fines, suspensions, and termination for poor performance.
  3. No coaches' challenges. Not needed if officials are competent.
  4. Full-time officials only. Pay them well, and make them want to keep their job. (See #2)
  5. An ultra-secure electronic strike zone. Even if umpires are competent, the strike zones need more consistency.
  6. Move the 3-point line back at least a foot. Some shooters make 3-point shots more often than I can make a layup.
There's probably more, but these were what popped into my head first.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:26 AM   #4
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
[list=1][*]No more replays except for scoring plays. In theory, having replay should make the results more accurate overall. They don't. Over time, the wrong calls will balance out anyway, so why slow games down.

I agree with most of yours. I am cool with this particular one only if it is accompanied by this one. Any player, coach, administrator or owner who comments negatively about an official's call in any way, shape or form will be immediately suspended for 50% of their season and fined 50% of the annual salary. Any fan who heckles a official will be give a five year ban from attending any live sports for a first offense and will get a lifetime ban for a second offense.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:31 AM   #5
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Get rid of the designated hitter in the American League.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:37 AM   #6
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Basketball: Widen the court, and extend the three point line to be a uniform distance all the way across the arc.

No replay challenges on "who touched ball last". Just takes too long to determine.

All timeouts with less then 5:00 to play are automatically :30 timeouts.

Football:
Use the XFL rules for two things: 1) Ball spotter judge, 2) replay announcer descrives their decision audibly. Pass Interference cannot be challenged

Soccer: VAR checks to be limited to 90 seconds. Standard for reversal is "CLEAR AND OBVIOUS ERROR", not "his left pinkie toe was offside"

Hockey: Make icing the puck a two minute penalty. (maybe).

Baseball: Electronic strike zones only (uniform) home plate umpire only judges check swings and plays at the plate. Remove the limit on pitching changes and batters faced, but strictly enforce the one foot in the batters box rule.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:37 PM   #7
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

I like all the baseball ones. I'd love to see the stolen base become more of a factor...maybe limit pick off moves - that might facilitate running games.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:39 PM   #8
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Soccer: VAR checks to be limited to 90 seconds. Standard for reversal is "CLEAR AND OBVIOUS ERROR", not "his left pinkie toe was offside"

Technically, his pinkie toe is offside is a clear and obvious error. You aren't just a little offside, just like you aren't a little pregnant - so any offside on review makes it clear and obvious that it is offside. The issue with the EPL review is that where the pause of play is on the video may not be the proper time when the ball is played - so perhaps having a solid line may not be the most accurate way to go, but if you do have the line then clear and obvious is clear and obvious.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:17 PM   #9
RainMaker
General Manager

Baseball

1) No mound visits.
2) Once a batter is in the box for an at-bat, he's in. Pitcher can throw as soon as he wants.
3) Robot home plate umps
4) No instant replay in regular season
5) Lower mound
6) Move fences back

Goal would be more balls in play but not all just home runs. Three true outcome baseball is boring.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:19 PM   #10
RainMaker
General Manager

Basketball

1) No instant replay
2) Move to international goaltending rules
3) Shooting foul gives you 1 free throw worth 2 points (or 3). And 1 automatically gives you the point. Goal is to speed up the most boring aspect of the game.
4) Shorten regular season to 66 games
5) Shorten first round to 5 game series
6) Expand court so 3-point line is uniform. Also move back 3-point line
Old 04-08-2020, 04:21 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

Have minimum dimensions for new construction of stadiums to eliminate the band box stadiums

That actually exists - though maybe you want a change in what's on the books - 325 to the foul poles & 400 to center.

A few teams in the past couple decades have negotiated some tradeoffs however, detailed in this 2012 article
Old 04-08-2020, 04:21 PM   #12
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
=
3) Shooting foul gives you 1 free throw worth 2 points (or 3). And 1 automatically gives you the point. Goal is to speed up the most boring aspect of the game.

I love this.

Heck, I'd say that you could even make it that a shooting foul is one point and the ball back. Get rid of free throws altogether.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:54 PM   #13
Galaril
Pro Starter

Baseball I like all the ones Rainmaker mentioned and have pitch clock for pitchers.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:07 PM   #14
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I would love to see the CFL rules of the rouge and the no fair catch punt in the NFL. I think the rouges are very strategic. I also would like to see some of the defensive passing rules loosened to try to push the game back more to a balanced run/pass game.
In basketball, I would agree that the 3pt line needs to be uniform. I would also use the international lane dimensions and goaltending rule.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:42 PM   #15
AlexB
Pro Starter

Football - no VAR, retrospective bans for diving/feigning injury
Football - relaxation of penalties for the defense when hitting the QB
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:15 AM   #16
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Make draft positions start from the middle and go outwards. This takes care of tanking. For example, in a league of 32 teams, the 16 and 17 seeds get the best draft odds, then 15 and 18, then 14 and 19, and so on until the best and worst teams get the worst odds.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #17
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Baseball

1) No mound visits.
2) Once a batter is in the box for an at-bat, he's in. Pitcher can throw as soon as he wants.
3) Robot home plate umps
4) No instant replay in regular season
5) Lower mound
6) Move fences back

Goal would be more balls in play but not all just home runs. Three true outcome baseball is boring.

The reason why people loved home runs back in the day was because they didn't happen often. When everyone or half the line up is a home run threat, they lose their appeal and novelty.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:10 AM   #18
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Make draft positions start from the middle and go outwards. This takes care of tanking. For example, in a league of 32 teams, the 16 and 17 seeds get the best draft odds, then 15 and 18, then 14 and 19, and so on until the best and worst teams get the worst odds.

I agree with this in basketball, I am not sure it is a big factor in football. The teams are pretty balanced in many ways. Outside of the suck for Luck, which backfired in the long run, how many times have NFL teams truly tanked. Too often the top pick is a bit of a crap shoot, unlike hockey or basketball where the top player is pretty clearly the top player. Even there, you get some stinkers.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:26 AM   #19
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Soccer:
- Limit VAR checks to 90 seconds. If at 90 seconds no decision can be made, call on the field stands. Get rid of the offsides computer generated line as those are not as accurate as claimed.
- Allow for head injury subs, to be approved by independent medical personnel, to check for concussion
- An "orange card" which is for fouls on the border of a yellow/red, which count as a yellow for the current game, but act as a red for the following match (you miss the next game automatically, but can stay on for the current match unless you get another yellow/orange card)
- retroactive cards for clear dives (there are plenty of 'dives' where the player is nicked on the foot/leg so aren't really dives) - and they should be orange cards
Old 04-09-2020, 12:27 PM   #20
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

College sports
All players are free to go pro right out of high school.
If you go to college its 4 years. Period.
Only 1 Transfer only after 2 years.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:45 PM   #21
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

What if they fail out?
Old 04-09-2020, 12:46 PM   #22
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
What if they fail out?

4 years after high school they are eligible to play pro ball.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:55 PM   #23
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
College sports
All players are free to go pro right out of high school.
If you go to college its 4 years. Period.
Only 1 Transfer only after 2 years.

Why are any restrictions needed? What's wrong with 'one and done' or multiple transfers?
Old 04-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #24
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Would you be amenable to 3 years, to not penalize those who get their degrees a year early?
Old 04-09-2020, 01:36 PM   #25
britrock88
Pro Starter

Limiting myself to 3 ideas per big-5 sport, beyond the overarching idea that replay stinks...

Baseball: goals are for a faster game with more balls in play.
1) unjuice the ball
2) legalize sign-stealing
3) only one pitching change during a half-inning except in case of injury

Basketball: goals are for more continuous play, more freedom of movement, and tighter end-games.
1) lower the personal foul limit by 1 (4 NCAA/5 NBA)
2) expand the restricted area
3) in the last 5 minutes, all fouls leading to FTs instead award 1 point and the ball
[In a dream world, would also expand the court, expand the 3-point line, and raise the rims in the NBA.]

Football: goals are for more continuous play and fewer special teams plays.
1) limited substitutions between scrimmage plays
2) replace XPs (with mandatory 2-point conversions) and kickoffs (with the 4th-and-15 concept)
3) no timeouts; coaches' challenges governed by point/yardage penalties

Hockey: pretty close to perfect.

Soccer: goals are to reduce timewasting outside the run of play and reduce exaggeration.
1) end the running clock and time matches at 30 minutes per half of active play
2) common fouls in the penalty box result in a free-kick at the top of the arc
3) add two more referees in the field of play (to increase accuracy) and emphasize penalizing with cards for diving
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:00 PM   #26
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Why are any restrictions needed? What's wrong with 'one and done' or multiple transfers?

It's my rule, ok.
lol
My intent is to improve college sports. I don't care largely about pro sports, I like college. So I'm an all in or all out guy.
Besides when you start multiple transfer you make a mockery of the student part.
I want college players who want a degree. If you dont care about the student part I want an option for you to go straight pro if you'd like.

I'd be agreeable to a 3 year exception if the player has graduated.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:31 PM   #27
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That actually exists - though maybe you want a change in what's on the books - 325 to the foul poles & 400 to center.

A few teams in the past couple decades have negotiated some tradeoffs however, detailed in this 2012 article

On the same topic, there was an interesting thread on Reddit of people posting baseball fields with weird dimensions and quirks. Mixed in with photos of baseball fields being used for other purposes. Hundreds of photos here.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet