Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What will you do with your $1,000 check? Primarily ...
Save it 18 40.00%
Pay Bills 14 31.11%
Spend it 8 17.78%
Trout 5 11.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2020, 09:23 AM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

COVID-19 - 3/18 - Poll #4 - What will you do with your $1,200?

To help alleviate some of the stress we are all going thru, thought it might be helpful to get us thinking about "happy" thoughts.

It's a given folks are going to get $1,000 or more from the government. Not sure if its per household, per working adult etc. but there will be a check.

So what are you going to do with it?

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-05-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:26 AM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I haven't responded yet.

will all Americans be eligible? I've heard only those making less than 85K would be.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:28 AM   #3
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I haven't responded yet.

will all Americans be eligible? I've heard only those making less than 85K would be.

No clarification yet that I've seen.

Coronavirus: Trump official backs “sending checks to Americans immediately” to aid economy - Vox
Quote:
We dont know yet if Trump and Mnuchins plan will be similarly unrestricted, or even what size it will be. Mnuchin hinted that the checks could be bigger than $1,000 but did not clarify if every American adult, or every adult and child, or every adult and child below a certain income threshold, would get the benefit.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:32 AM   #4
Jas_lov
College Starter

I think it should only go to those who can't work and aren't getting paid. I'm able to work from home and still getting paid. If they give me the money that I don't need I'll probably just save it.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:35 AM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I would dump 100% into local business. I plan on doing that regardless if I get the money or not.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:41 AM   #6
bob
College Starter

If they are going to do this, they just have to dump money to everyone. Otherwise you have to set up a system to see who "needs" it, and that could change weekly depending on how long things go. That's an unnecessary delay that will blunt the effectiveness of this program.

If we get out of this, increase taxes on the higher earnings on the back end. That's probably coming either way.

Edit: It won't surprise me if this is a 2 or 3 trillion dollar stimulus by the end of it. And even then you might need mortgage / rent and other deferrals (student loans).

Last edited by bob : 03-18-2020 at 09:45 AM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:47 AM   #7
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
If they are going to do this, they just have to dump money to everyone. Otherwise you have to set up a system to see who "needs" it, and that could change weekly depending on how long things go. That's an unnecessary delay that will blunt the effectiveness of this program.

If we get out of this, increase taxes on the higher earnings on the back end. That's probably coming either way.

Edit: It won't surprise me if this is a 2 or 3 trillion dollar stimulus by the end of it.

All I can think about is how people were killing Obama over 1.6 and 1 trillion dollar deficits in 2009 and 2010. How he single handedly bankrupted the country. Now we've been running trillion dollar deficits in good times, and looking at what will likely be at least a 3 trillion dollar deficit this year alone a little over 10 years later, and not a single peep about how it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:50 AM   #8
Butter
Coordinator

A mortgage deferral would essentially be the same thing for me. Whatever I get, if anything, I would pay off debt. Probably not what they're looking for.

In 2008 or whenever that was, it was income dependent, based on the previous tax year I believe. If they want to get checks out NOW, they probably can't do any sort of income verification. It will delay it by a good month.

Last edited by Butter : 03-18-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:52 AM   #9
molson
General Manager

A lot of takeout food. It helps people, preserves our pantry levels, and eases strain on the grocery stores.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:53 AM   #10
bob
College Starter

Sure, that might be the case for 20% of people, but they likely don't have the time to worry about it. They are worrying about everyone else.

Agreed on what was said before on deficits, but regardless of past opinion, this is certainly a unique circumstance.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:56 AM   #11
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I would dump 100% into local business. I plan on doing that regardless if I get the money or not.

Local business as in restaurants or local hardware store?
Old 03-18-2020, 10:11 AM   #12
Thomkal
Head Coach

All businesses will suffer and are already suffering because of the virus. Giving us the opportunity once this has passed to give them a boost by buying something seems like a good idea to me.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:10 AM   #13
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Local business as in restaurants or local hardware store?

Restaurants for sure. Flower shops. There is a local hardware store I frequent. Family owned pharmacy. Art galleries, etc...

I own some commercial real estate. One of our tenants is a CVS, not worried about them. Above them is a small art gallery that contributes greatly to the culture of the town. We have already told them not to worry about the rent.

The bottom line is we need to make sure these businesses can reopen when the time comes.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:28 PM   #14
Radii
Head Coach

Give it away. A close friend of mine here has a family of 4 that they struggle mightily to feed already, one is already out of work due to their business closing indefinitely, the other works non-essential retail and is probably out of a job soon too. They were receiving extra food assistance through the elementary school the kids are at. They can go to the food bank regularly to get some stuff, but its not even close to enough and the school was proving a fair bit more through some program of theirs. So with school closing not only is that an extra meal a day to provide at home, its for now the loss of that extra assistance they were receiving.

Life fucking sucks man, its so easy to be isolated from everything with what I make and my own career, seeing all this has made me a much, much more giving person.

Uh, soapbox over. Yeah, giving it to someone who needs it since I don't.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:41 PM   #15
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:

This. This I like a lot.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:50 PM   #16
Kodos
Resident Alien

Either donate it to my wife's cousin (out of work waitress with physical disability) or a local business. We don't need it.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:54 PM   #17
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

It goes straight into my savings for me. Since that's currently somewhat limited, it'll extend the period of time that I can keep from being a financial burden on others.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:55 PM   #18
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Either one $1000 hooker or a thousand $1 hookers.

Support the local economy.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:21 PM   #19
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Either one $1000 hooker or a thousand $1 hookers.

Support the local economy.

This is what I am thinking.

The world is ending. Hookers and blow baby!
Old 03-18-2020, 01:34 PM   #20
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I’d use it to start 999 more Covid threads. And if I did that then I’d ask for 1000 more wishes.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:11 PM   #21
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
I think it should only go to those who can't work and aren't getting paid. I'm able to work from home and still getting paid. If they give me the money that I don't need I'll probably just save it.
Banks could use it. Even savings helps free up money for loans in the local economy. I have no problem if it is to everyone, but if they are going to draw a line, it should be a very high line. like 150K a year+. Don't make it some kind of bureaucratic nightmare.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:08 PM   #22
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post

Same.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:24 PM   #23
Galaril
Pro Starter

Sounds like only those under 85k will get it.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:01 PM   #24
Edward64
Head Coach

Maybe should be in Random thoughts thread but what the heck ...

Amazon, Costco, Walmart etc. websites should just have "show only in-stock" to save people a lot of time.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:03 PM   #25
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post

Is it per household or individual?
Old 03-18-2020, 05:22 PM   #26
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I suggest that it be used to pay off the HOA fines that are about to occur.

People are being encouraged to put up Christmas lights to spread cheer while they're social distancing
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:45 PM   #27
BYU 14
Coordinator

I don't think we will qualify, but if we do I will likely look for someone/somewhere to donate it too as at this point neither mine or my wife's job will be impacted.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:47 PM   #28
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Democrats ensured that it's means-tested so not everyone will get one. Thanks Dems.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:53 PM   #29
Kodos
Resident Alien

Good to hear.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:01 PM   #30
bob
College Starter

Means testing using 2018 data seems like a poor decision. Plenty of people will have had major shifts since then.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:43 PM   #31
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Maybe should be in Random thoughts thread but what the heck ...

Amazon, Costco, Walmart etc. websites should just have "show only in-stock" to save people a lot of time.

They don't want that. Most of them have an alert option for when it is back in stock.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:44 PM   #32
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post

boo
Old 03-18-2020, 08:11 PM   #33
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
boo

yay!
Old 03-18-2020, 08:41 PM   #34
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
yay!

yay for you or yay because you don't think people who make over 85K are deserving?
Old 03-19-2020, 02:44 AM   #36
Danny
Head Coach

I think this should ideally only go to those who really need it. The trouble is using some arbitrary determining factor for that. Are they using 2019 incomes?

The person who made 70k but has continued work is a lot less affected than the person who made 90k but now is suddenly out of work etc...

As for the question, I'd use it to support local community on some way, ideally both the one I work on and the one I live in.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:14 AM   #37
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I think this should ideally only go to those who really need it. The trouble is using some arbitrary determining factor for that. Are they using 2019 incomes?

The person who made 70k but has continued work is a lot less affected than the person who made 90k but now is suddenly out of work etc...

As for the question, I'd use it to support local community on some way, ideally both the one I work on and the one I live in.

I am starting to agree it'll be too messy and take too much time for at least the first check. Send it out to pretty much everyone and figure out a better way with the second check.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-19-2020 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:43 AM   #38
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
I am starting to agree it'll be too messy and take too much time for at least the first check. Send it out to pretty much everyone and figure out a better way with the second check.

Also cost of living factors. 80k for someone living in SF or NYC is very different from someone making 80k most other places.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:37 AM   #39
bob
College Starter

Another problem is being employed right now != being employed in a week, 2 weeks, 3 months, etc. So unless this is a one time thing or they have a method for applying for support later, they are better sending to everyone and trying to figure it out later. Deficit is going to be super fucked no matter what.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:48 AM   #40
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I expect all citizens to be compensated, we're all being affected.

If not, one more reason to purge Reps from the system, especially when they bail out all the corporations who then pocket it and fire/cut their work forces.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:52 AM   #41
bob
College Starter

Pretty sure its the Dems that want the means testing. Unless you mean Reps = Representatives, not Republicans.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:58 AM   #42
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Also cost of living factors. 80k for someone living in SF or NYC is very different from someone making 80k most other places.

I also think high earners are likely to pump that money back into the local economy as opposed to using it to pay bills, etc...
Old 03-19-2020, 08:17 AM   #43
HerRealName
College Prospect

Does anyone have any idea how young adults would be treated? It wouldn't be cool if we get means tested out of a check while our older kids also were excluded. We're having to pay unexpected living costs for them due to dorm closures, dining hall closures, etc.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:13 AM   #44
Edward64
Head Coach

Here's what Trump wants.

I'm ambivalent honestly. I'm okay if I don't get a check but if I do get a check, I am going to spend it and buy stuff.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/19/coro...-for-kids.html
Quote:
Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin on Thursday laid out details of the Trump administrations plan to send Americans relief money as part of a massive stimulus package to blunt the impact of the novel coronavirus crisis.

Mnuchin said in a Fox Business Network interview that the plan, which is being discussed with congressional leaders of both parties, would send payments directly to Americans totaling $500 billion.

That money would be divided into two large tranches.

The first one would be $1,000 per person, $500 per child, Mnuchin said. So for a family of four, thats a $3,000 payment.

As soon as Congress passes this, we get this out in three weeks. And then, six weeks later, if the president still has a national emergency, well deliver another $3,000, Mnuchin said.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:53 AM   #45
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Does anyone have any idea how young adults would be treated? It wouldn't be cool if we get means tested out of a check while our older kids also were excluded. We're having to pay unexpected living costs for them due to dorm closures, dining hall closures, etc.

Looks like you'll be charging for room and board.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:00 AM   #46
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Looks like you'll be charging for room and board.

Good idea. Gotta get that money for the hooker/hookers somehow.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:02 AM   #47
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Good idea. Gotta get that money for the hooker/hookers somehow.

I doubt they are working much nowadays, and for those that are you better be wearing your mask and spray down with lysol before and after!
Old 03-19-2020, 10:12 AM   #48
JPhillips
General Manager

From Providence, RI:

Quote:
Mayor Elorza: Lap dances ‘irresponsible’ amid coronavirus outbreak
Old 03-20-2020, 06:58 PM   #49
Edward64
Head Coach

Well darn, a little disappointed that I may not get a check to spend on a "want". But I'm okay with the below option. No plan is going to be perfect, just get something out there to help stabilize the situation.

Democrats balk at $1,200 rebate checks in stimulus plan | TheHill
Quote:
Senate Democratic Leader Charles Schumer (N.Y.) on Friday said Congress should pass a massive expansion of unemployment benefits instead of simply doling out checks to individuals and families, regardless of whether they miss work because of health quarantines.

There are many, many who have lost their jobs and one check when they may be out of their jobs for three, four, five months isnt going to be enough. Unemployment insurance gives money the whole period of time the crisis exists at your present salary level and covers just about everyone, Schumer said.

Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.), who participated in an initial round of talks with Senate Republican chairmen on Friday morning, argued that direct payments will not be as effective as expanded unemployment benefits.

In the Republican package there was nothing on unemployment insurance, Stabenow said. We are not in any way seeing yet the focus enough on workers, on the workforce, on people getting hit the hardest.

She also faulted the GOP plan for not providing a robust expansion of health care resources and instead characterized many of the 43 health-related provisions in the Republican bill as stop-gap.

Stabenow characterized the negotiations on expanding unemployment benefits as robust and said the question is how to most effectively do this.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:08 PM   #50
PilotMan
Head Coach

You know, honestly, I'm really glad that I'm not a person who has to sit and make those decisions on how this whole thing is going to be designed and implemented. What a major PITA!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote