Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-22-2020, 05:37 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Sports in the age of coronavirus: What 2 Watch

Alright, we're down to super barebones on events, so let's help each other out here. What sports are you watching? Here's some suggestions

1. MLB.tv is offering all 2018/2019 games for free
2. NFL League Pass is offering 11 years of NFL games for free through May,
3. NHL is offering 2019-20 games for free along with classic content.

4. NASCAR teamed up with iRacing to do a Virtual NASCAR event using iRacing (today, if you missed it, the replay is on at 3:30 AM, set your DVR), I won't spoil the result.

NRL is still sputtering along, but could go dark at any time.

Idea: Let's pick a random NFL year and do a watch party, where we all watch a different NFL game from the same week, and comment like it was a game thread

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:40 PM   #2
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

I think this is a great time to try and provide sports content not only for yourself but for others - play on Twitch, YouTube, write a dynasty report...there are so many great sports sims why not learn how to use one of those platforms and provide somebody else with something new rather than just rewatching old games?
Old 03-22-2020, 05:41 PM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That is an idea too, I'll have to see if I can stream some of my stuff on Twitch (I used to have streaming programs)
Old 03-22-2020, 06:24 PM   #4
miami_fan
Coordinator

NBA League Pass is also free of charge.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:53 PM   #5
PilotMan
Head Coach

If you guys want to actually watch some cool e sports stuff, The Drone Racing League is having the final two tryouts this week on Tuesday and Thursday. Winners move to a best of the best qualifier later on, winner gets a 75k professional contract. It's all done with the DRL sim on Steam. You can watch on twitch or you tube. YT has the earlier ones available to check out. Some of the heats are as close as a hundredth of a second or less over 2 laps of the course.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:17 PM   #6
Critch
lolzcat

I got so desperate for soccer this morning I watched a game from the Belarussian Premier League. It wasnt bad, but I'm not sure how long it'll last before it suspends too.

President of Belarus says you can avoid the virus if you "drink vodka, go to the sauna and work hard", not keen on 2 out of 3 there.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:30 PM   #7
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you our salvation:

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2020/...ds-commentator
Old 03-22-2020, 07:32 PM   #8
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

This guy does amazing elaborate marble races and Olympic style events. Highly recommended. YouTube
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:43 PM   #9
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Got some 10m Bellyflop championship right now on The Ocho.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:48 PM   #10
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oof. Actually started streaming OOTP 21 on twitch, game crashed. I can't even watch virtual sports apparently :P
Old 03-23-2020, 07:10 AM   #11
Butter
Coordinator

Meanwhile, NCAA has a prime opportunity to prove they're not total fuckwits, but instead have something like 20 old March Madness games online? Instead of the literal hundreds or maybe even thousands they should have.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:08 PM   #12
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

At least we'll be able to watch the Overwatch League over the weekend (looks like they're pretty much playing non-stop through the entire weekend, considering that one group is in Asia and one group is in the US)

https://twitter.com/overwatchleague/...30235031719938

Next week they're going to have 22 matches.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 03-23-2020 at 04:09 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:47 PM   #13
tarcone
Coordinator

Tis rugby announcer is announcing some high quality English events

This rugby commentator has started broadcasting everyday life as a competitive sport | inews

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:40 PM   #14
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
At least we'll be able to watch the Overwatch League over the weekend (looks like they're pretty much playing non-stop through the entire weekend, considering that one group is in Asia and one group is in the US)

Overwatch League on Twitter: "2 days. 16 games. Welcome back everybody 💪

#OWL2020 returns in epic fashion this weekend 🙌

📺 https://t.co/tbTGBrUfiE… https://t.co/hGE5efaRwj"

Next week they're going to have 22 matches.

Extremely niche but LCK - the korean league of legends league, is returning tomorrow after being on hold for a few weeks. The NA/EU leagues are still going on I think. But I don't think very many traditional sports fans are going to get into 3-sports just because there's no March Madness or anything Personally though I love watching the korean league and am very happy its starting back up again, great distraction.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:42 PM   #15
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Tis rugby announcer is announcing some high quality English events

This rugby commentator has started broadcasting everyday life as a competitive sport | inews

This is outstanding
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #16
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
If you guys want to actually watch some cool e sports stuff, The Drone Racing League is having the final two tryouts this week on Tuesday and Thursday. Winners move to a best of the best qualifier later on, winner gets a 75k professional contract. It's all done with the DRL sim on Steam. You can watch on twitch or you tube. YT has the earlier ones available to check out. Some of the heats are as close as a hundredth of a second or less over 2 laps of the course.

Like Steam?

Old 04-01-2020, 01:17 PM   #17
Critch
lolzcat

If you're totally desperate for a fix of "sports" and not too bothered about what you watch, Professional Darts Corporation are live streaming players playing from their homes:

Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:45 PM   #18
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
If you're totally desperate for a fix of "sports" and not too bothered about what you watch, Professional Darts Corporation are live streaming players playing from their homes:

Awesome.

Maybe MLB could pit players against each other playing baseball on xbox or ps4. Or any pro sport for that matter

Live stream that.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:37 PM   #19
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Awesome.

Maybe MLB could pit players against each other playing baseball on xbox or ps4. Or any pro sport for that matter

Live stream that.

Formula 1 is doing that, though only a couple actual drivers

Formula 1 launches Virtual Grand Prix Series to replace postponed races
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:46 PM   #20
bob
College Starter

According to Chris Haynes of Yahoo Sports, the NBA and 2k Sports will partner to hold a players-only NBA 2k tournament. The tournament will feature 16 of the NBA's best 2k players with Kevin Durant, Donovan Mitchell, DeMarcus Cousins, and Andre Drummond some of the featured names

Coronavirus: NBA planning to launch NBA 2K tournament
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:55 PM   #21
PilotMan
Head Coach

So more Drone Racing tonight. Here's the link to the live stream of the DRL Tryout Finals. Tonight the 12 winners from the qualifying tournaments go at it. Winner gets a $75,000 pro contract to race in the next season of DRL against the top pro racers for real. Only the qualifier is done on the Simulator.

Like Steam?

Old 04-07-2020, 01:10 AM   #22
molson
General Manager

That madman Dana White is apparently close to closing a deal to host weekly UFC fights on a private island that he would fly the fighters to on a private plane, starting with UFC 249 on April 18. So basically Street Fighter 2. (Edit: Actually he claims he has a different super-secret venue for UFC 249, and then the island shit will start after that).

And MLB is talking a plan to start the season with all teams playing at spring Chase Field and spring training sites in Arizona. The players would be essentially quarantined there between the hotels and the parks, for months, potentially. In addition to other precautions, the players would sit in the empty stands 6 feet apart rather in the dugout.

It all seems like a ridiculous amount of work to go into something that would be shut down entirely the first time a player or coach gets sick. But, if they're ever going to play again, it will have to be done first with precautions, so it makes sense to be figuring that all out.

Last edited by molson : 04-07-2020 at 01:14 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:15 AM   #23
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It all seems like a ridiculous amount of work to go into something that can be shut down entirely the first time a player or coach gets sick. But, if they're ever going to play again, it will have to be done first with precautions, so it makes sense to be figuring that all out.
It sounds like they would have a plan to isolate any player/coach that tests positive and then test the other players.

When you start talking about billions in salaries players would be giving up if they lose the season, I think their tolerance for risk goes up. It does sound crazy, but I wouldn’t be against players and owners finding a way to get paid
Old 04-07-2020, 01:17 AM   #24
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
It sounds like they would have a plan to isolate any player/coach that tests positive and then test the other players.

I heard that, but wouldn't there have to be a quarantine period for the impacted team and their recent opponents at least?

I know the South Korean baseball league is saying automatic 2-week league suspension if anyone tests positive.

And ya, I can see why the players and the league would be up for this and why we're going to get some really wacky re-introductions to sports across the board.

Last edited by molson : 04-07-2020 at 01:18 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:36 AM   #25
bhlloy
Coordinator

Most players sure... what happens when some players say “fuck it, I’m not taking the risk and/or willing to leave my family for that long”. What if it’s like Bellinger and Trout? The leagues biggest stars are probably the ones who need the money the least.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:46 AM   #26
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - I actually read what MLB and the union are proposing, and while I'm not complaining about sport on TV (dear god please make it happen), they might as well just have a fantasy draft and a gimmicky tournament, because when you consider the list of things they are going to have to do it just doesn't feel like it's going to be baseball:

- Electronic strike zone
- Potential 7 inning double headers
- Games at spring training venues
- Expanded rosters
- No crowds (obviously)
- No mound visits or unnecessary meeting between players and coaches
- The possibility that some players just decide to retire or not show up

What happens to the record books if somebody hits 60 HR in the first half of the season due to a number of those factors? Or if 7 or 8 of the best players on a team that is otherwise a contender decides they don't want to increase their risk and spend 5 months away from their families? Feels like wishful thinking to me, but realistically this might be what we are looking at to get any sport back this calendar year.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:16 AM   #27
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Formula 1 is doing that, though only a couple actual drivers

Formula 1 launches Virtual Grand Prix Series to replace postponed races

This Sundays race was probably 50% F1 drivers, with the remainder almost all professional or ex-professional racers. The only exception being Ben Stokes (hero!) and a sim racer.

It was really good - better than normal F1 TBH as there was not the same jeopardy in making a mistake, so drivers were taking more risks making for more exciting racing
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:17 AM   #28
AlexB
Pro Starter

Cycling is also doing virtual races - they did a ‘Tour of Flanders’ yesterday with 13 pro racers on turbo trainers using Rouvy. It was better than i thought it would be!

The next one is a five day Tour de Suisse on a grander scale - 16 pro teams had confirmed as of yesterday
Old 04-07-2020, 07:35 AM   #29
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

i think i'd rather watch cames from the 80s instead. Basketball was the best in the 80s. I liked the 80s baseball players too.

Not sure if there was ever a PEEK of football but really anything from older eras before TV TOTALLY took over would be great. And of course there's Howard Cosell...
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:16 AM   #30
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
i think i'd rather watch cames from the 80s instead. Basketball was the best in the 80s. I liked the 80s baseball players too.

Not sure if there was ever a PEEK of football but really anything from older eras before TV TOTALLY took over would be great. And of course there's Howard Cosell...

Yeah same here. I want watch any of this 7 til it is back to normal (next season 2021?) . I bought 40 old World Series games from a guy on sell.com that sells dvds of old games. I got the 1975,1982;and 1985 WS and also the 1980 and 1986 NLCS’.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:07 AM   #31
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I watched the Saints/Falcons 2006 MNF replay last night.

I had forgotten that MNF went through that weird phase where they had one of the players introduce the team. That's something that has deservedly gone away.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:33 AM   #32
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

NFL redzone is replaying the redzone from all 17 weeks of the regular season over 17 days
Old 04-07-2020, 10:55 AM   #33
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I heard that, but wouldn't there have to be a quarantine period for the impacted team and their recent opponents at least?
It is a little odd, but it seems like they are trying to make their own "baseball ecosystem" in Phoenix. If a player tests positive, they isolate him and then test the entire team (and maybe any opponents that came into contact). Then, that player goes into quarantine for 14 days and they treat it almost like a sprained knee type 2-week injury. It is weird, but it's what they have to do if they want any kind of season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
DOLA - I actually read what MLB and the union are proposing, and while I'm not complaining about sport on TV (dear god please make it happen), they might as well just have a fantasy draft and a gimmicky tournament, because when you consider the list of things they are going to have to do it just doesn't feel like it's going to be baseball:

- Electronic strike zone
- Potential 7 inning double headers
- Games at spring training venues
- Expanded rosters
- No crowds (obviously)
- No mound visits or unnecessary meeting between players and coaches
- The possibility that some players just decide to retire or not show up

What happens to the record books if somebody hits 60 HR in the first half of the season due to a number of those factors?
Outside of the 7-inning double header idea, I can't see any of these impacting stats massively. I do think players may be a little rusty without all the spring training (so pitchers may not last as long to start), but I don't think that will put any records in jeopardy on its own.

Quote:
Or if 7 or 8 of the best players on a team that is otherwise a contender decides they don't want to increase their risk and spend 5 months away from their families? Feels like wishful thinking to me, but realistically this might be what we are looking at to get any sport back this calendar year.
That's why there is a MLBPA. If you flip it, how "fair" is it for a guy like Verlander (who's made over $200 million and lives very comfortably) to prevent the hundreds of young players who haven't hit FA from making a living this year? If some players want to take the year off for safety, I'm sure the MLB will have an allowance for that (maybe you don't get paid your full salary, but gain a year towards your pension). But, a lot of the 700+ players in MLB haven't made much money and losing this year would be a massive hit to them.

The one issue I haven't seen discussed is the heat. It *may* play a factor in slowing down the spread of the virus, but it's also going to be miserable to play in during June-August. Whomever gets a game at Chase Field (air conditioned) in July is going to have a pretty big advantage over the poor saps baking at the Peoria or Scottsdale stadium in the open air.

Last edited by Arles : 04-07-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:49 AM   #34
tarcone
Coordinator

I broke out my PS3 and NCAA14 college football game. My all tie favorite franchise.

I rebooted my franchise. This will be my sports entertainment. I also have a MLB game which I may crack open.

Old 04-09-2020, 12:46 PM   #35
Galaril
Pro Starter

Also lots of old sports on YouTube . I was watching old Houston Oilers games and even some baseball from the 50s on there.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:49 PM   #36
tarcone
Coordinator

HN is doing a best of Hayden Frys games at Iowa. Top 25 list. There are some great games in there to watch.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:44 PM   #37
AlexB
Pro Starter

Just watched Taylor v. van Barneveld playing soft-tip darts on Paddy Power’s facebook page. Slightly dry, but live sport!!!
Old 04-09-2020, 01:47 PM   #38
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
I broke out my PS3 and NCAA14 college football game. My all tie favorite franchise.

I rebooted my franchise. This will be my sports entertainment. I also have a MLB game which I may crack open.

I'm playing NCAA 14 too, after about a year off (since The Ladder OD died).

Last edited by Kodos : 04-09-2020 at 01:50 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:43 PM   #39
bhlloy
Coordinator

UFC cancelled indefinitely, including next weekends event. Maybe Dana's private island turned out to have pirates there.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:54 PM   #40
molson
General Manager

For you early risers, the CPBL Taiwan baseball league got through opening day and has a game streaming most mornings at 6:30 AM Eastern. There are 8 former major leaguers in the league. One team brings cardboard fans to sit in the stands and has robot drummers playing live music. I think three of the teams have free streaming, which covers most of the games in the 5-team league.

Online Stream - CPBL STATS

This league has has multiple game-fixing scandals over the last 10 years, and I read somebody point out that with 4 or 5 sports leagues going on at the moment (this, Taiwan basketball, Russia soccer, Belarus soccer, Nicaragua soccer), anyone who is playing could potentially get a ton of attention from gamblers and fixers. So, don't bet your mortgage payment on it or anything.

Last edited by molson : 04-13-2020 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:25 PM   #41
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, the Pro Darts league will be doing a 32 day tournament from homes.

PDC Home Tour - players to compete from own homes for 32 nights - BBC Sport
Old 04-16-2020, 09:20 PM   #42
Butter
Coordinator

Why am I watching this HORSE competition.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:26 PM   #43
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Why am I watching this HORSE competition.

I couldn't do it tonight after watching it off and on over the weekend. I guess I found where the line was where I will consider something watchable sport when there is literally nothing going on.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:43 PM   #44
JPhillips
General Manager

The Rakutan Monkeys are killing the Chinese Professional Baseball League.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:09 PM   #45
molson
General Manager

Back-and-forth high drama yesterday though (make sure you watch with sound on).

ã€è·æ£’31精彩好çƒã€‘04/15朱育賢å†è¦‹å…¨å£˜æ‰“完æˆä¸‰éŸ¿ç*²ï¼åŠ©æ¨‚天桃猿激戰12局後奪下首å‹ï¼ Rakuten Monkeys first win by a walkoff homerunï¼ - YouTube

This gives an idea of what empty-arena sports could look like in the U.S. There's some ingredients here that can keep it exciting - over the top announcers, cheerleaders with gloves frolicking around, lots of random nose over the PA system, and cuts to cardboard fans holding up signs.

Last edited by molson : 04-16-2020 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:42 AM   #46
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I couldn't do it tonight after watching it off and on over the weekend. I guess I found where the line was where I will consider something watchable sport when there is literally nothing going on.

I stopped right about the time I posted this, so who knows what happened.

You know, somehow Netflix managed to capture high quality DIY video in their Tiger King special (which was also stupid and pointless but at least had Joel McHale), while ESPN literally appeared to rely on flip phones.
Old 04-17-2020, 02:01 PM   #47
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So, MLB.COM, MLB Network and Twitch are partnering with Out of the Park Baseball, to supplement the MLB: The Show Players League with 32 all-time team rosters (one for each MLB franchise, one for Negro League players, and one for U-25 superstars), and will be doing a tournament over the next few weeks.

MLB Dream Bracket, presented by DraftKings | MLB.com

Some interesting matchups to start
Old 04-17-2020, 02:05 PM   #48
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, the Pro Darts league will be doing a 32 day tournament from homes.

PDC Home Tour - players to compete from own homes for 32 nights - BBC Sport

The stream was unwatchable unfortunately
Old 04-17-2020, 02:26 PM   #49
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
So, MLB.COM, MLB Network and Twitch are partnering with Out of the Park Baseball, to supplement the MLB: The Show Players League with 32 all-time team rosters (one for each MLB franchise, one for Negro League players, and one for U-25 superstars), and will be doing a tournament over the next few weeks.

MLB Dream Bracket, presented by DraftKings | MLB.com

Some interesting matchups to start

This should be a thread on its own to discuss.

Nolan Ryan is on every team it seems. Medwick over Brock for the Cards?

Do the younger teams even stand a chance?

What will that Negro team do? It looks awesome.

Old 04-17-2020, 02:48 PM   #50
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Done. Complete with Foz picks, I'm trying to stay active today