Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How's everyone feeling?
1. A little deadlier than flu but not a big deal 0 0%
2. I'm concerned but still think people are overreacting 6 15.00%
3. Definitely worried, lots of deaths coming. But significantly less than (current predictions) 9 22.50%
4. Really, really worried. Lots of deaths at (current predictions) 21 52.50%
5. Close to freaking out. Probably much worse than (current predictions) 4 10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2020, 07:02 AM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

COVID-19 - 4/3 - Poll #9 - How's everyone feeling?

Continuation of the "how are you feeling" poll.

I know there is an "economic" worry/impact in addition to "mortality" and struggled on how to incorporate those 2 dimensions at the same time. I am leaving it as mortality (but removed the 1% scale) because right now vast majority will be at a 5 for economic worry anyway.

• I think the best way to answer this question is focus on the first part of the description as primary. The second sentence on mortality for 3-5 is secondary.

Progression from 3/13; 3/19; 3/26
74 votes; 56 votes; 41 votes

1 & 2 = 41%; 23%; 19%
3 = 28%; 32%; 32%
4 = 24%; 36%; 34%
5 = 3%; 9%; 15%

3/26 Poll #8 - https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ad.php?t=96638
3/19 Poll #5 - https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ad.php?t=96614
3/13 Poll #1 - https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ad.php?t=96605

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-03-2020 at 07:25 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:19 AM   #2
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm still at a 3 right now but am close to a 4. I know the next 2-4 weeks will be rough as I suspect the daily death counts will be 1,000+.

If the daily counts continue to increase with no good news in sight, I'll move to a 4. These deaths we have right now are in-spite of our best efforts (I think) and not because of lack of ventilators, medicine etc. Which means if/when our health system gets stretched, the nos. will increase dramatically.

In the other post we discussed how Birx & Pence said we are on the same trajectory as Italy (adjusted for population). TBH I'm not sure I believe that right now (and admittedly don't want to believe it) because that would be really horrible.

However, there has been more talk about vaccines and (more importantly for the near term) therapeutics so that has been very helpful to me, to see some focus and progress there.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-03-2020 at 07:24 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:04 AM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Actually moved up to a 4. Now it's not new. Now we have (most) folks taking it seriously, and there's some signs of flattening the curve in SOME places. We know what we have to do now, we just have to do it,
Old 04-03-2020, 09:06 AM   #4
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Still a two, much more concerned about the economy, deficits, and all that.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:30 AM   #5
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Still slightly closer to 3 than 2. But that's based on the situation over here. I'd probably be at 4 or 5 had I lived in, like, New York, Madrid or in the Alps.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:04 AM   #6
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Still a 2.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:26 AM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think I went 4/5/4, though, realistically I've been at 4.5ish for a long time. It's more of a 4.4/4.6/4.4.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #8
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

3, but with the caveat that I have no idea what 'current predictions' are. They are all over the map, and from what I've read the scientists behind the models say that many of them are trying to predict short-term spread and don't even prognosticate out far enough to get an overall death toll so …

But in any case, I'm still at 3. I do think April is the key month for this. If warm weather is going to have an effect on this that will happen in a lot of places by May, but how our health system copes in the meantime is going to be vital. I see no signs that we're doing as much as we should be on the supplies/equipment front, and how far it spreads among medical personnel is going to determine a lot I think.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:53 AM   #9
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I'm a 3, but still want to be extremely cautious. The reason I'm a 3 and not a 4 is that a lot of the doomsday predictions from 3/12-3/20 look to be extremely unlikely. I think the measures we've taken over the past two weeks have reduced the overall risk in the US. It will get worse in April/May, but I'm more hopeful on a summer return to business (albeit limited) than I was before.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:03 PM   #10
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The huge question for me is school in the Fall.

The long term health of the economy requires an educated population. And everyone is doing what they can to muddle through the end of this year with distance learning and the like. But the kids are not learning as much as they would in school (how could they?).

Looking down the road, I think that all of our efforts should be toward reducing the disease and getting testing in place to allow schools to reopen after the summer.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:04 PM   #11
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

Mrs. A and I have been taking the opportunity to do homeschooling ourselves, and the kids are learning a lot.

But not everyone has that ability. Taking the long-term picture, getting the schools open again is best for everyone.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:42 PM   #12
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I've been a 4 every time, still there. This is just all suck.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:21 PM   #13
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
The huge question for me is school in the Fall.

This is a big question for friends of mine with kids in private school.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:31 PM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think the other fall question is "how does this bug do in summer weather". If it is more seasonal, I'm worried we'll have a false sense of security in the summer and then will be swamped in the fall.

SI

Old 04-03-2020, 01:32 PM   #15
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I am a 4. I still have to work every day, and I know at least my corner of the world is not taking this seriously. People still out, especially very old people. If I go to a store, it never fails I have an elderly person get right up on me while I am shopping, and they often even start close talking me. The general idea of this being stupid and over-blown is rampant. I also had the joy of a co-worker telling me that this is all just God's judgment on gays. I said, "so God is killing Grandma because of gay people?" *smash forehead into table*

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-03-2020 at 01:33 PM.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:34 PM   #16
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'm definitely with SI's point, but I think by then there's a chance we'll be better prepared.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:47 PM   #17
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I think the other fall question is "how does this bug do in summer weather". If it is more seasonal, I'm worried we'll have a false sense of security in the summer and then will be swamped in the fall.

SI
Which may be another reason to relax some of the restrictions by July when the virus struggles to propagate as easily (esp for the lower risk groups). Then, by the fall, we may have more of a herd immunity to protect the weaker groups when it gets colder. I think the worst thing we could do is stay in lockdown until Sept and then relax the restrictions (either we think it is safe or lose patience) right as it starts to get colder. If we feel that we don't have the stomach to stay in lockdown until a vaccine is found, then we should start relaxing in the summer.

Last edited by Arles : 04-03-2020 at 01:50 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:25 PM   #18
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I also had the joy of a co-worker telling me that this is all just God's judgment on gays. I said, "so God is killing Grandma because of gay people?" *smash forehead into table*

Jesus, has this person procreated?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:47 PM   #19
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I'm definitely with SI's point, but I think by then there's a chance we'll be better prepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Which may be another reason to relax some of the restrictions by July when the virus struggles to propagate as easily (esp for the lower risk groups). Then, by the fall, we may have more of a herd immunity to protect the weaker groups when it gets colder. I think the worst thing we could do is stay in lockdown until Sept and then relax the restrictions (either we think it is safe or lose patience) right as it starts to get colder. If we feel that we don't have the stomach to stay in lockdown until a vaccine is found, then we should start relaxing in the summer.

I don't disagree with either of these. It might be the best course of action. We have 2 months to gather good data to try and figure it out.

SI

Old 04-03-2020, 09:20 PM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Only upgraded from 1 to a 2 because our area appears to have had it's first business owner suicide today.

The associated deaths of that sort that won't end up counted in the tally - but should - give me elevated concern.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:29 PM   #21
tarcone
Coordinator

Kids are missing school. Which is good. I think they come back in the Fall with a better appreciation of why it is important.
I have gone to a 4. I went 1 to a 3 to a 4. Im not freaking out. But its still early.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:09 PM   #22
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I went 4, because the current predictions from the White House are suitably vague with regard to time frame, and I don't think we're anywhere close to the end of this.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:09 AM   #23
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Jesus, has this person procreated?

Sadly, yes.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote