Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-04-2019, 11:50 AM   #19201
JPhillips
General Manager

Trump said that he doesn't know most of his ambassadors, "I don't even know their names." Somehow that's supposed to make him look better.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:00 PM   #19202
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I dunno where it belongs in the healthcare conversation, but where I live one of our largest healthcare providers is ostensibly a Catholic non-profit organization....but their MO as a religious non-profit healthcare provider is not to keep profit margins low & provide low-cost healthcare, they are keeping their margins high and investing those profits into grabbing as much real estate & property as possible.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:23 PM   #19203
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Earlier in this thread I compared Trump to Slobodan Milosevic. That's looking more accurate by the day.

Side story, but it connects...

Had friends and we used to play board games, including a complicated one called "Road to the White House." A solid presidential campaign sim, I'd recommend it if you can stomach a 3-hour event, at least your first few times.

Anyway, in the game, candidates could have ratings in lots of different aspects, which would carry benefits or penalties based on things that came up at various times during the game. Lots of drawing of cards, unfolding of events, changing of active issues.

So, your candidate would be spelled out in a card, a little like playing D&D. Your standard progressive guy might have ratings like Protect Environment +4 and Support Major Cities +3. Another person's more conservative candidate would have ratings like Pro-Immigration -4 and Domestic Spending -5. Things like that, where it's fairly easy to understand various candidates having either a positive or a negative number. Then, when a related event comes up, you might get a benefit or curse based on your candidate's rating there, and whether it appealed to specific states. Anyway, that's a main function of the game.

Most of the ratings made sense. But some seemed odd. My friends and I would laugh at the rating of "Pro Tyrants." Pro-Education... okay, I get it. Pro-Banks... okay, I get it. But... who the fuck is actually "Pro-Tyrants?"

Anyway... what seemed like a funny joke then seems less so now. This President is clearly as "Pro Tyrants" as the scale allows. Go figure.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #19204
JPhillips
General Manager

Some of this has already been reported, but holy hell...

Old 10-04-2019, 08:11 PM   #19205
PilotMan
Head Coach

The New Republican Revolution continues. This from our esteemed micro trump in Kentucky. His opponent trying to thread the needle between opposing Bevin, while still hoping to appeal enough to the trump supporters that cover the entire state. So he's not even coming up with a position regarding the impeachment of the president. Meanwhile....

Bevin Would Accept Foreign Help To Investigate Political Rivals

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:28 PM   #19206
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I definitely see the point you make, however wouldn't it also in theory increase the number of providers who accept Medicare hence making a transition to Universal Medicare easier?

Quick googles seem to indicate that 2% of medical providers do not accept medicare. I'm not sure how to analyze that but my gut feeling is that it might not be as big a problem as we might think or might be told sometimes? Of course, its a huge problem any time a doctor changes from accepting medicare to not accepting it for all of that doctor's retirement age patients

I was going to point out that, anecdotally, all of the customers for the company I work for are medical providers. We have 350 active customers and likely another 50-100 that have signed with us and left over the last 15 years. Out of that 400-500 providers that we service, one of them does not take medicare.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:09 AM   #19207
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Quick googles seem to indicate that 2% of medical providers do not accept medicare. I'm not sure how to analyze that but my gut feeling is that it might not be as big a problem as we might think or might be told sometimes? Of course, its a huge problem any time a doctor changes from accepting medicare to not accepting it for all of that doctor's retirement age patients

I was going to point out that, anecdotally, all of the customers for the company I work for are medical providers. We have 350 active customers and likely another 50-100 that have signed with us and left over the last 15 years. Out of that 400-500 providers that we service, one of them does not take medicare.

The vast majority of providers do take it. The purpose of this has nothing to do with getting more providers. It has everything to do with making Medicare-For-All less affordable, AND eventually cutting back medicare drastically to seniors. The president had already proposed a budget with huge slashes in medicare funding. Now his plan is to multiply the expense of medicare so high to destroy the system.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:23 AM   #19208
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Quick googles seem to indicate that 2% of medical providers do not accept medicare. I'm not sure how to analyze that but my gut feeling is that it might not be as big a problem as we might think or might be told sometimes?

I work in politics, not medicine, so asterisk this. But, let's not lose sight of simple human weakness being part of this. LOTS of people confuse the terms "Medicaid" (health care for poor people) and "Medicare" (health care for old people). At least in this area Medicare (old) gets you in the door virtually everywhere, while Medicaid (poor) leaves you with a much narrower seelction of providers.

It's absolutely possible that some of the perception gap regarding Medicare acceptance traces back to something that simple. A doc/office notes "we do not accept Medicaid clients" and someone along the way mistakenly hears/understands that to reference old people and the program that Bernie Sanders keeps talking about.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:09 PM   #19209
JPhillips
General Manager

NK says the nuclear talks have broken down, but the US is saying no they haven't. I'm not sure that even Putin has played Trump better than Kim.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:33 PM   #19210
JPhillips
General Manager

dola

Pompeo, former Director of the CIA, says he supports Trump in trying to find out if Ukraine partnered with the DNC to frame the Russians for interference in the 2016 election.

JFC.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:49 PM   #19211
Thomkal
Head Coach

And now the story is I didn't even want to make the call, but the soon to be resigning Rick Perry persuaded me to do it. Nothing in any of the transcripts mentions Perry as the reason behind the call but don't let evidence get in the way of a good lie.

Last edited by Thomkal : 10-05-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:52 PM   #19212
tarcone
Coordinator

When does the federal government start working for the people?

A bunch of jack asses. All of them.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:04 PM   #19213
cuervo72
Head Coach

The ‘Never Trump’ Coalition That Decided Eh, Never Mind, He’s Fine

I Support the President - The Resurgent

Last edited by cuervo72 : 10-05-2019 at 09:05 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:28 PM   #19214
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erickson View Post
What I see is a group of people who have interpreted every single thing the President has done in the worst possible light to continue to do so.

Point conceded, I'm a guilty party. I don't use that as an offramp, but I think there's truth to it.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:15 PM   #19215
JPhillips
General Manager

Erickson never deals with the reality, though, that Trump is different, more extreme than anyone who has come before him. Surely, some amount of criticism beyond what is typical is expected and appropriate give Trump's norm breaking at home and coddling of some of the world's worst leaders abroad? Without acknowledging any of that, and instead falling back on media bias and Dem hatred, to me it comes off as just a lengthier version of, "But my judges."
Old 10-06-2019, 07:50 AM   #19217
JPhillips
General Manager

A second intelligence whistle blower has now come forward.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:52 AM   #19218
JPhillips
General Manager

dola

Looks like a lot of the GOP is now going all in on, the Ukrainians did it, not the Russians.

They aren't a Fox News party, they are an InfoWars party.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:56 AM   #19219
GrantDawg

The defense now is that Trump "wasn't serious" when he asked China to investigate Biden. In the end, it is the "please don't believe what the President says or does" theory.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:03 AM   #19220
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The defense now is that Trump "wasn't serious" when he asked China to investigate Biden. In the end, it is the "please don't believe what the President says or does" theory.

Yet Trump has been spending the better part of the last week annihilating Schiff over parodying his call.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:09 AM   #19221
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Yet Trump has been spending the better part of the last week annihilating Schiff over parodying his call.

Didn't you know parodying the president is treason? At least, the what Trump believes and will make so once he dissolves congress and has all power.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:13 AM   #19222
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Except when the president literally says "Don't believe what you see or read, only what I tell you."

Like Steam?

Old 10-06-2019, 09:19 AM   #19223
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Didn't you know parodying the president is treason? At least, the what Trump believes and will make so once he dissolves congress and has all power.

Unnamed sources have reported that Trump is working with alien powers in order to eliminate congress.

Old 10-06-2019, 11:07 AM   #19224
JPhillips
General Manager

I am more certain than ever that this can't end before Trump goes full Q.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:34 AM   #19225
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
dola

Looks like a lot of the GOP is now going all in on, the Ukrainians did it, not the Russians.

They aren't a Fox News party, they are an InfoWars party.

Well, it makes them look more and more like Vlad's party. "Wasn't us. Was those guys. (You know, the guys we took land from and are still attacking.) THEY are the bad ones."
Old 10-06-2019, 09:31 PM   #19226
JPhillips
General Manager

Click through to see total effective tax rates for various income groups over time.

Quote:
For the first time on record, the 400 wealthiest Americans last year paid a lower total tax rate — spanning federal, state and local taxes — than any other income group, according to newly released data.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gtype=Homepage
Old 10-07-2019, 07:35 AM   #19227
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Unfathomable betrayal of the Kurds.

Potential silver lining: early reports make it look like Republicans are going to fight him on this one and win. Maybe a good humiliation will cause him to go off the rails enough for the Rs to get this clown outta there.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:37 AM   #19228
Ben E Lou

Least surprising news in all this: Pentagon completely blindsided.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:40 AM   #19229
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/07/polit...uit/index.html

Chances of Twitter Rant: Extremely High

Grab Popcorn and Take Cover
Old 10-07-2019, 08:49 AM   #19230
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Unfathomable betrayal of the Kurds.

Potential silver lining: early reports make it look like Republicans are going to fight him on this one and win. Maybe a good humiliation will cause him to go off the rails enough for the Rs to get this clown outta there.

I think you're failure is you still don't fully grasp the narcissistic personality disorder. There is no humiliation for them. There are no others. There is nothing more important then they are and they are ALL that matters. They are unable to even feel humiliation, because they are being treated so unfairly (again the person centered viewpoint). Loyalty only matters as to who will enable them. That's it.

Like Steam?

Old 10-07-2019, 09:03 AM   #19231
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I think you're failure is you still don't fully grasp the narcissistic personality disorder. There is no humiliation for them. There are no others. There is nothing more important then they are and they are ALL that matters. They are unable to even feel humiliation, because they are being treated so unfairly (again the person centered viewpoint). Loyalty only matters as to who will enable them. That's it.
I'm not talking about how he sees it. I'm talking about the rage he'll fly into when the headlines and "the shows"--even on Fox--are variations of "humiliating reversal for Trump in Syria." Maybe he'll piss off enough Republicans to seal his own fate.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:09 AM   #19232
Ben E Lou

Dola:

My baseline assumption here is that the only thing that moves the needle in the Senate is the court of public opinion. They won't find their spines themselves, but if the opinion polls (now rising in favor of removal) show the support of a clear majority of the country, it could change things. Who was it that said a good politician is one who figures out what direction people are going, then takes a shortcut through the woods to get out in front and make folks think he is leading them?
Old 10-07-2019, 09:22 AM   #19233
Thomkal
Head Coach

Even Lindsay Graham said he was a liar about Isis being defeated on Fox this morning. Gee maybe Dems could be right on most of the other lies too?

Lindsey Graham

I don’t know all the details regarding President Trump’s decision in northern Syria. In process of setting up phone call with Secretary Pompeo. If press reports are accurate this is a disaster in the making.

Last edited by Thomkal : 10-07-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:41 AM   #19234
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Dola:

My baseline assumption here is that the only thing that moves the needle in the Senate is the court of public opinion. They won't find their spines themselves, but if the opinion polls (now rising in favor of removal) show the support of a clear majority of the country, it could change things. Who was it that said a good politician is one who figures out what direction people are going, then takes a shortcut through the woods to get out in front and make folks think he is leading them?

Agreed. So, if you're watching polls, and so forth, with an eye toward impeachment or other short term issues, the most essential thing is "Trump job approval among Republican voters." This weekend, Trump tweeted out a graphic with that number at 95%... even if it's a baloney number like Rasmussen per usual, the fact/impression that nearly all the GOP voters are now Trump voters is his cudgel. There is no more Republican Party, there's just him... and be assured that Ben Sasse and that ilk all know it.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #19235
JPhillips
General Manager

I think the Kurd decision is shameful, but damn there's a lot of irresponsible rhetoric being thrown around. Turkey is a NATO ally. Yes, they have recently been difficult, but our foreign policy does not recognize them as anything but an ally.

As to Trump, I think there is a tipping point, but I'm unsure as to whether we will ever get there. If we do, the collapse in support will be very quick, probably less than a week for a mass of elected officials.

There is one other avenue to get Trump out, big donors. If enough of them bail the GOP for an election cycle, that would change the calculas quickly.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:54 AM   #19236
molson
General Manager

Trump has announced this before, but this time he's announcing it contemporaneous with a timetable. Seems like it's something he feels he HAS to do while he's in office. Maybe a last payment for a deal, a last blackmail request, whatever.

Though, it does feel a little, like with the free trade stuff, that Trump is launching another party ideology swap. The most recent polls seem to see that the Democrats and Republicans are almost exactly even on whether they want any troops in Syria - 60% of each do. I'd bet the numbers would have been different a few years ago. It seems Dems stopped talking about the pointlessness of middle east troop deployment and "endless wars" once Trump started picking up that rhetoric a few years ago.

Last edited by molson : 10-07-2019 at 09:55 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:56 AM   #19237
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Though, it does feel a little, like with the free trade stuff, that Trump is launching another party ideology swap. The most recent polls seem to see that the Democrats and Republicans are almost exactly even on whether they want any troops in Syria - 60% of each do. I'd bet the numbers would have been different a few years ago. It seems Dems stopped talking about the pointless of middle east troop deployment and "endless wars" once Trump started picking up that rhetoric a few years ago.

I think this is an issue for both sides unfortunately, and it needs to stop. Parties need to stand for things other than the opposite of what the other party stands for. It is ok for both parties to be for something....
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:44 AM   #19238
Ben E Lou

He had me at "great and unmatched wisdom."
Old 10-07-2019, 10:48 AM   #19239
Jstraub
n00b

Quote:
He had me at "great and unmatched wisdom."

Just destroying it is not enough... It must also be obliterated.
Jstraub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:57 AM   #19240
QuikSand
lolzcat

I have let my staff know that I fully intend to start employing the phrase "I, in my great and unmatched wisdom" with absolute, unapologetic aplomb.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:02 AM   #19241
Radii
Head Coach

I'm using that in scrum tomorrow at work.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:06 AM   #19242
JediKooter
Coordinator

Oh...it's unmatched alright.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #19243
Thomkal
Head Coach

yeah republicans how do you feel about that "great and unmatched wisdom" right now?
Old 10-07-2019, 11:14 AM   #19244
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Which economy has he before "totally destroy and obliterate"? I mean I know he's trying to do it to the US economy.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #19245
JPhillips
General Manager

I'll reiterate, Turkey is a NATO ally.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:53 AM   #19246
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'll reiterate, Turkey is a NATO ally.

Ally in name only these days. Erogan has been real cozy with Putin.

Regardless, another huge win for Putin.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:01 PM   #19247
RainMaker
General Manager

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:05 PM   #19248
molson
General Manager

I'm going to be in Istanbul next week, I'll get to the bottom of this.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #19249
Kodos
Resident Alien

Make sure to ask for dirt on the Bidens!
Old 10-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #19250
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Ally in name only these days. Erogan has been real cozy with Putin.

So has Trump.