Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-30-2003, 12:53 PM   #1
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Vacation plan (ping Fritz, QS, et al)

I am making the final vacation plans for the trip my SF-based brother and I are making to Virginia and Maryland the second week of June and have a few questions.

We'll be spending a day at Colonial Williamsburg and spending the night before and after. There are a few ye olde tavern places in Williamsburg but what you recommend as an interesting place to eat in that area?

QS, what was the name of that restaurant you recommended for dinner in Annapolis?

We'll be staying three nights in Jessup, MD which is central to Gettysburg, Baltimore and DC. Would you recommend driving into the Inner Harbor like around 5pm or if we get back from Gettysburg on time, we could pick up the Light Rail in Glen Burnie.

I printed out the schedule for MART to go from Jessup/Dorsey to Union Station. Is this the type of thing that I can go up to a staffed station, buy a round-trip(?) ticket and then hop on the train? With the last trip southbound in the AM being at 8:30, how far in advance do I need to be at the station and will there be any difficulties getting on board? The same thing applies leaving Union Station at 7:55pm. Sorry for the dumb questions, our concept of public transportation here in the West is to get a ride with a friend.

Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 12:56 PM   #2
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Re: Vacation plan (ping Fritz, QS, et al)

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
I am making the final vacation plans for the trip my SF-based brother and I are making to Virginia and Maryland the second week of June and have a few questions.

We'll be spending a day at Colonial Williamsburg and spending the night before and after. There are a few ye olde tavern places in Williamsburg but what you recommend as an interesting place to eat in that area?

Oh yea. I will e-mail you some info on WMBG area dining. If you have not made reservations yet, please get up with me. I can probably save you some decent money with a few easy suggestions.

If you get a chance while in WMBG, take a drive down the Colonial Parkway (best drive in the area, bar none) to Yorktown Battlefield. Much of the battlefield is intact, and you can get access to some unretouched redoubts.
http://www.nps.gov/colo/

Last edited by Fritz : 05-30-2003 at 01:04 PM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 02:47 PM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

As far as the trains go, I think you'll be just fine with your plan. The MARC train ought to get you downtown to Union Station much more quickly than you can drive downtown. Or, if you want a little more flexibility, you can drive from Jessup down to New Carrolton, and pick up a Metro train there (very inexpensive). NC has a huge parking facility for folks doing exactly that.

And yes, I definitly recommend taking the light rail up to Baltimore for the ballgame - as I mentioned earlier, most all my friends do so, and we all have cars - it's just a LOT easier to ride up.

As for restaurants... In and around Annapolis, the places I'd be most likely to recommend for dinner are:

Carrol's Creek - A nice, though fairly expensive place facing the Annapolis city harbor. Nice atmosphere - used to be my top date spot, back in the day. Good seafood and steaks.

Northwoods - Not quite as fabulous scenery, but the food here is very good. Also pretty pricey.

Ram's Head Tavern - Nice brewpub restaurant, fairly affordable and everything on the menu is pretty reliable, including the beers brewed on-site. if you're looking for the tavern sort fo restaurant, this is probably the best place in this area for you to go. (Plus, if you really want, you might be able to sneak in and see Terence Trent D'Arby, who is performing on June 14th there... and I know what a thrill that would be for you.)

Pachanga Grill - not in Annapolis proper, but it's a lot closer to Jessup, the prison town where you're staying. This place has pretty inexpensive, but absolutely outstanding Mexican fare - I cannot recommed it highly enough.

Jerry's Seafood - the best seafood I have had in Maryland is not from Annapolis, but from this outwardly dumpy strip mall joint neat the DC beltway. A bit expensive, but the seafood is absolutely unbelievable! If you're leaving DC at the right time, do check it out. The Crab Bomb is stunning - get it "firecracker style" if you like spicy food.

Potato Valley Cafe - If you're in Annapolis at lunchtime, I recommend this place, right on State Circle (around the State House). Unique dining experience, I don't know a single person who has not marveled at his first potato there.

Hope those help.
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 02:51 PM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

Here is a link to information on MARC trains... I confess I have never used them, so I'm not too familiar with protocols. It reads like you need to have tix in advance, but it might be worth a call.

http://www.mtamaryland.com/fares/marc_fare.cfm
Old 05-30-2003, 02:53 PM   #5
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand

Hope those help.

Have you been to that seafood resturant at the bottom of the bridge as you cross to the eastern shore?
Old 05-30-2003, 02:53 PM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hey, A, you still coming out to San Diego, too? I seem to recall you saying you had a trip planned out here to SoCal soon. Some kind of conference?

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 02:57 PM   #7
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
Have you been to that seafood resturant at the bottom of the bridge as you cross to the eastern shore?

Hmm... there's a series of restaurants in Kent Narrows, which is a mile or two after the base of the Bay Bridge, but I would guess you're talking about Kentmorr, a pretty well-regarded seafood join on Kent Island, the eastern base of the Bay Bridge.

I have been to Kentmorr once, and had a decent meal but wasn't sufficiently impressed. I don't think my date worked out well that night - maybe that's why it doesn't make my recommendations list.

Last edited by QuikSand : 05-30-2003 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:00 PM   #8
QuikSand
lolzcat

Actually, though, if you're traveling south via the Maryland Eastern Shore (and are crossing the Bay Bridge) then a must stop site is the Kent Island Depot. Right after the Bay Bridge landing, go about 1/2 mile south on Route 8 - you'll see a gas station/convenience store on your right, just past the small airport.

Unbelievable foods - owner is a French gourmet chef, his wife is a Vietnamese pastry shef, and everything they sell is fabulous. They wanted to open a gourmet market, but couldn't get the zoning - so they now run a gourmet gas station. Tremendous.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:03 PM   #9
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Yes, CR, I'll be out in my old stomping grounds the second week of July.

Thanks all.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:19 PM   #10
tucker342
Pro Starter

You should come to Iowa City
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 11:11 AM   #11
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

One other thing. I got a 6 hour layover on the way back in Minneapolis. Would taking a cab to Mall of Americas be worth it, knowing that I generally hate mall shopping?
Old 06-02-2003, 11:20 AM   #12
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
One other thing. I got a 6 hour layover on the way back in Minneapolis. Would taking a cab to Mall of Americas be worth it, knowing that I generally hate mall shopping?

It is just a big mall with a so-so roller coaster in it. The floor plan is super smart (donut shaped) but you could end up doing a ton of walking...

Our MoA protaganist should be along shortly to give a differing opinion.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:36 AM   #13
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
It is just a big mall with a so-so roller coaster in it. The floor plan is super smart (donut shaped) but you could end up doing a ton of walking...

Our MoA protaganist should be along shortly to give a differing opinion.

No need to say anything. Look at the stores, see if there is stuff you like there, and then make your own decision. If you do go,and like sports memorbilia, go to Field of Dreams, some nice stuff there.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:40 AM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Send me a Crab Bomb, it sounds yummy and I love crab meat!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 11:44 AM   #15
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Actually, if you have 6 hours, this might be something you would enjoy more, it's very close to the airport.

http://www.mnhs.org/places/sites/hfs/
Old 06-02-2003, 11:53 AM   #16
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by Cards4ever
If you do go,and like sports memorbilia, go to Field of Dreams, some nice stuff there.

Oh, I agree with this. We have one locally that is like a candy store for people with too much disposable income.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:24 PM   #17
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Cards, thanks, I saw Fort Snelling on the map and remembered that from my readings on Fremont. That might be a good if the hours work.

Field of Dreams - way over-priced, manufactured memorabilia sold by a chain store (I have seen them everywhere I've been).
Old 06-02-2003, 01:42 PM   #18
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:

You could take a few spins in the NASCAR simulator thingy and get some lunch.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 01:56 PM   #19
mrskippy
Banned

Interesting ... I'm going to Williamsburg in June too. Haven't been there in 20 years and looking forward to going back.
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 02:18 PM   #20
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Funny, when something is in your back yard you kind of take it for granted. I don't know that I have spent much time.

---
A good tavern to eat at is Shields Tavern.
http://www.history.org/foundation/journal/tavern.cfm

I always liked the food and brews at the GreenLeafe. A college hangout when W&M is in session, the place should be less hectic in the summer.

A lot of people love The Trellis, but their dinners can cost some serious money.

BERRET'S RESTAURANT AND RAW BAR is right on the corner of the Colonial area and has outdoor seating. A good place to suck on shrimp and coronas.

The Aberdeen Barn is another highly thought of (and priced) place.

I have never been to J.M. Randalls Restaurant & Tavern, but they have live jazz. http://www.visitwilliamsburg.com/jm_randalls.htm

CHOWNINGS TAVERN is recommended by some friends.

KINGS ARMS is a place of fond memories. I was best man at a wedding and the rehearsal dinner was here. Oh, those Catholic priests can get you drunk! When I was last here (1991) they had singing wenches and game pie.

A handy listing:

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...liamsburg@1044

Last edited by Fritz : 06-02-2003 at 02:25 PM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 02:31 PM   #21
QuikSand
lolzcat

I've been to Berret's in Colonial W'Burg... I agree with Fritz. Decent spot to suck down a few of whatever you're having.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:45 PM   #22
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

oh yea, for morning food go to Mama Steve's Pancakes. The place was a bit of a dump the last time I was there, but it is an institution.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:50 PM   #23
QuikSand
lolzcat

It is a bit of a dump, but we go to Mama Steve's as well. Have to.