Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #501
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
You've switched your argument from stronger to larger here, but we're arguing semantics at this point. Mizzou was and still is the #1 option for the Big Ten in regards to expansion. There's little question about that.

Ok, so are you suggesting that Missouri has the larger and/or stronger fan base than Nebraska?

I would say that there's some question about whether MU is the #1 option. I would argue that Notre Dame is probably the #1 option. Is Missouri the #1 option if the likes of Texas, Notre Dame, etc turn them down? Then maybe you're right. Missouri is definitely the most desperate.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #502
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Because all of the other rumors in this thread have come true, so once something reaches rumor stage, people need to accept it as fact and stop discussing the possibility that its not true.

Not saying that this isnt a ruomor still, but here is a good bit of info from the ESPN PAC-10 guy

Expansion? The case for Colorado - Pac-10 Blog - ESPN

Reading between the lines, it seems like Colorado is all but inviting itself to the PAC-10. It also won't be joining just because one other school leaves the Big-12, but because it's seems to identify more closely to the PAC-10 in a variety of ways
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #503
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Not saying that this isnt a ruomor still, but here is a good bit of info from the ESPN PAC-10 guy

Expansion? The case for Colorado - Pac-10 Blog - ESPN

Reading between the lines, it seems like Colorado is all but inviting itself to the PAC-10. It also won't be joining just because one other school leaves the Big-12, but because it's seems to identify more closely to the PAC-10 in a variety of ways

That's why I think Colorado makes the most sense as far as leaving the Big 12. They have so many built in ties with the Pac 10. The question though is the Pac 10 looking to expand? I think eventually Colorado leaves unless the Big 12 gives them a reason to stay. The Big 12 front office certainly hasn't given anybody in the Big 12 reason to stay though so I wouldn't count on it.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #504
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
Ok, so are you suggesting that Missouri has the larger and/or stronger fan base than Nebraska?

I would say that there's some question about whether MU is the #1 option. I would argue that Notre Dame is probably the #1 option. Is Missouri the #1 option if the likes of Texas, Notre Dame, etc turn them down? Then maybe you're right. Missouri is definitely the most desperate.

OK, I think you made your motivation pretty obvious with this post.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #505
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Mizzou was and still is the #1 option for the Big Ten in regards to expansion after they've been turned down by their other top options. There's little question about that.

Fixed that for you.

But if you're trying to suggest that any conference would rather have Missouri than Notre Dame or Texas then you need to put down the crack pipe.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #506
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

heh

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #507
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Fixed that for you.

But if you're trying to suggest that any conference would rather have Missouri than Notre Dame or Texas then you need to put down the crack pipe.

Both were non-starters. I certainly wasn't addressing what the Big Ten's pipe dream would be and never said anything like that. Notre Dame eliminated themselves by refusing to join in football. Texas was eliminated as an option because the Big Ten isn't interested in taking all three Texas schools previously mentioned. They never were a consideration because they each eliminated themselves through their demands.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #508
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They never were a consideration because they each eliminated themselves through their demands.

Horseshit, even by your own convoluted attempt to explain it.

If they "never were a consideration" then there would have been no need for them to eliminate themselves.

Florida, UCLA, Harvard = never were a consideration ... because they make no logical sense to anyone nor could the situation be made appealing enough to work in any scenario.

If the conference expands without, say, ND or Texas it isn't because they "never were a consideration" but rather because there was no hope (or willingness) to reach an acceptable agreement. But to argue that they were never considered is simply fucking stupid.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #509
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The influence Tech has on the Texas schools is being overstated. If push came to shove, Tech would be left behind. A&M is in a much stronger position at the moment, mainly due to the current governor being an A&M grad and appointing many of his former college buddies to influential posts in the A&M system.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #510
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Horseshit, even by your own convoluted attempt to explain it.

If they "never were a consideration" then there would have been no need for them to eliminate themselves.

Florida, UCLA, Harvard = never were a consideration ... because they make no logical sense to anyone nor could the situation be made appealing enough to work in any scenario.

If the conference expands without, say, ND or Texas it isn't because they "never were a consideration" but rather because there was no hope (or willingness) to reach an acceptable agreement. But to argue that they were never considered is simply fucking stupid.

That's fine. I'm only dealing with the present. We're splitting hairs at this point. As we currently stand, they are not an option for expansion. I'm agreeing with you.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #511
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Boom goes the dynamite.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #512
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Though, what I wonder is...if the Big East will invite University of the West Indies and say, University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez to compensate for the lost schools. I mean, they're great destinations for tournament games and UPR-M already hosts a early season tournament, so they're a logical candidate I think.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #513
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Until the Big 10 finds a way to beat elite teams from the South they will always be irrelevant (although well paid)
Old 05-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #514
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Though, what I wonder is...if the Big East will invite University of the West Indies and say, University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez to compensate for the lost schools. I mean, they're great destinations for tournament games and UPR-M already hosts a early season tournament, so they're a logical candidate I think.

Chaminade would be a great choice following this logic. They already play in a D-1 preseason tourney every year and each conference member gets a trip to Maui.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #515
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Until the Big 10 finds a way to beat elite teams from the South they will always be irrelevant (although well paid)

This reminds me of back in the day when all we heard about was NFC dominance in the NFL. Things are cyclical.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #516
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
This reminds me of back in the day when all we heard about was NFC dominance in the NFL. Things are cyclical.

Two national championships in 40 years is a cycle?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:07 PM   #517
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

No. You guys will be well paid and irrelevant.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #518
Kodos
Resident Alien

Alright, Nostradumass.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #519
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Boom goes the dynamite.

Did something happen? I don't see anything anywhere.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #520
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The question though is the Pac 10 looking to expand?
The answer is, it depends. Like all conferences, the Pac-10 is seeking ways to improve their revenue stream, especially after the recent economic downturn. The Pac-10 will expand if:

- Doing so raises revenue for all the member schools
- They can attract schools that fit their membership criteria

Regarding the first point, as noted earlier the Pac-10 TV deals expire soon, so there's some urgency to figure out whether expansion makes sense. But it seems (from the outside at least) to be a bit of a chicken/egg thing - does the Pac-10 expand in order to draw a better TV deal/deals, or does the Pac-10 need to get better TV deals in order to attract the schools they want?

Related to that, the Pac-10 is interested in having a football championship game and the revenue it would generate, and is investigating whether they can get around the rule requiring 12 teams in order to host such a game.

Also related to that is whether expanding would lead to better (and more lucrative) bowl arrangements. One major draw in trying to lure Texas & A&M (along with other Big-12 teams) is the potential to bring more of the Texas-based bowl games into the bowl pool for the conference.

Regarding the second point, it's been discussed quite a bit already in this thread. Suffice it to say that academics and research dollars also matter a great deal in all of this discussion.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #521
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The influence Tech has on the Texas schools is being overstated. If push came to shove, Tech would be left behind. A&M is in a much stronger position at the moment, mainly due to the current governor being an A&M grad and appointing many of his former college buddies to influential posts in the A&M system.
This confirms what I thought and have read - A&M is always linked with Texas in any redistribution of teams, but I don't see much in the way of people thinking Tech also would be required to move with them. I get the impression the times are different now then back when Baylor and Tech were required to be tethered with Texas & A&M in the last go-round of conference shake-ups.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #522
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
OK, I think you made your motivation pretty obvious with this post.

My motivation is to discuss these things rationally rather than having some crazy homer argument claiming how Missouri is the Big Ten's #1 option (after Texas, Notre Dame, etc turn it down). We're all homers to an extent when it comes to our teams, but your belief in Missouri is so delusional. I'm still waiting to hear your argument how Missouri's fan base is stronger and/or larger than Nebraska's.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #523
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
This confirms what I thought and have read - A&M is always linked with Texas in any redistribution of teams, but I don't see much in the way of people thinking Tech also would be required to move with them. I get the impression the times are different now then back when Baylor and Tech were required to be tethered with Texas & A&M in the last go-round of conference shake-ups.

Texas Tech actually joined the Big 12 on their own merits. It was Baylor that was amended due to the governor (?) at the time who was a Baylor grad. I think the only two Texas schools that are tied together now are Texas and Texas A&M. And both would fit well in any conference on their own merits so that wouldn't be a problem.

I just can't wait to see what happens when the expansion race begins. There's a chance we could see the SEC and Big Ten gobble up schools and then the ACC, Big 12, and Pac 10 will need to do some serious maneuvering.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #524
MacroGuru
Coordinator

For me, a BYU fan...losing Utah to the PAC-10 leaves us on the outside looking in..that is unless the Big 12 brings us in to replace Colorado which I doubt will happen.

I see the MWC inviting BSU into the conference if Utah leaves to the PAC-10, because I think TCU goes to the Big 12 over BYU...but who knows right now...part of the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that this will happen to keep the MWC out of getting the AQ.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #525
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

I just can't wait to see what happens when the expansion race begins. There's a chance we could see the SEC and Big Ten gobble up schools and then the ACC, Big 12, and Pac 10 will need to do some serious maneuvering.

The PAC-10 doesn't need to expand, but because of the money there, it is painted as an attractive option to expand. The relevance will always be there, unfortunately the TV contract sucks right now
Old 05-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #526
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Texas Tech actually joined the Big 12 on their own merits. It was Baylor that was amended due to the governor (?) at the time who was a Baylor grad. I think the only two Texas schools that are tied together now are Texas and Texas A&M. And both would fit well in any conference on their own merits so that wouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, at the time both the Governor and Lt. Governor (the post with the real power in Texas government) were Baylor alumni.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #527
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
The PAC-10 doesn't need to expand, but because of the money there, it is painted as an attractive option to expand. The relevance will always be there, unfortunately the TV contract sucks right now

I know it's not likely, but I'd love to see the Big 12 and Pac 10 do a network together. I just don't have confidence in the Big 12 front office.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #528
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yeah, at the time both the Governor and Lt. Governor (the post with the real power in Texas government) were Baylor alumni.

Cartman,

What are Longhorn and Aggie fans thinking when it comes to expansion?
Old 05-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #529
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Cartman,

What are Longhorn and Aggie fans thinking when it comes to expansion?

There hasn't been much talk actually. Most of it has been about how awesome it has been that Texas is at the top of all the wish lists.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #530
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
There hasn't been much talk actually. Most of it has been about how awesome it has been that Texas is at the top of all the wish lists.

I like you cartman, lol.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #531
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It's always possible but my gut read on the SEC's position is that they will if they feel they absolutely have to but that they have pretty limited interest in adding anyone & that they aren't interested in adding teams just for the sake of numbers.

I can see Texas, I could probably see FSU and/or Miami if they were really up against the wall for teams, but honestly I just don't get any feeling they actually want to add anybody.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #532
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
It's always possible but my gut read on the SEC's position is that they will if they feel they absolutely have to but that they have pretty limited interest in adding anyone & that they aren't interested in adding teams just for the sake of numbers.

I can see Texas, I could probably see FSU and/or Miami if they were really up against the wall for teams, but honestly I just don't get any feeling they actually want to add anybody.

Why would they? They'd be adding schools that would make the current members look bad from an academic and athletic ethics standpoint.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #533
MrBug708
Head Coach

Plus playing Vandy would also be even more of a stretch for some of the teams
Old 05-06-2010, 07:08 AM   #534
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

As a Kansas fan, that would be the last thing you want to happen. If the Big 12 manages to stay together, the power would be even further shifted to the south. If Kansas has to move, there's not very many good options available for them that would be a better situation than the status quo.

Best thing for Kansas would be no change in B12 teams.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-06-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:46 AM   #535
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
As a Kansas fan, that would be the last thing you want to happen. If the Big 12 manages to stay together, the power would be even further shifted to the south. If Kansas has to move, there's not very many good options available for them that would be a better situation than the status quo.

Best thing for Kansas would be no change in B12 teams.

I hate to break this to you, but the power has been in the south since Missouri and Colorado united with the south division in moving the headquarters to Dallas. Heck, Missouri and Colorado even voted for the old SWC commissioner (Steve Hatchell) who pretty much sank that conference. Nebraska, Missouri, and Colorado leaving won't change the balance of power in any significant way. If anything maybe the north gains two voters who will actually align themselves with their north brethren this time, lol.

As for Kansas, they'll do what they have to do to survive. I have faith in the KU athletic director to keep them in a BCS conference. Lew Perkins is one of the better athletic directors out there and he'll make sure KU is in position to weather the storm. If that means hitching our wagon to Texas then so be it.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #536
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I hate to break this to you, but the power has been in the south since Missouri and Colorado united with the south division in moving the headquarters to Dallas.

No question. And that's the reason these schools are considering these offers to move. With that said, it's going to be MUCH worse if Nebraska and Missouri leave. But I'm not sure Kansas has much choice at this point given that they don't hold any bargaining chips.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #537
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
No question. And that's the reason these schools are considering these offers to move. With that said, it's going to be MUCH worse if Nebraska and Missouri leave. But I'm not sure Kansas has much choice at this point given that they don't hold any bargaining chips.

You're right to an extent. Kansas doesn't bring a major media market (only KC) nor do they bring a populated state. They do bring a prestigious basketball program with a national fan base which will help them survive. A prestigious football program would help more, but they at least have something to hang their hat on. The big question for Kansas is does a move for KU have to include KSU? I honestly don't know the answer to that question. That will show how easily Kansas can or can't move. It's going to be hard enough for Kansas to move on their own merits, but nearly impossible if KSU is handcuffed to them.

Again, with CU and MU voting with the south there is nothing gained by them staying or leaving. Them leaving may actually give the Big 12 north two teams that will actually vote with the rest of their division mates. Of course, now it's already too late since the balance of power was pushed to the south by the earlier votes of MU and CU. CU and MU are attempting to run away from the mess they created.

If I had my choice, I'd love to see both KU and MU head for the Big Ten. I think the Big Ten would be a much better fit for both schools and would make them less reliant on Texas. I don't think that will happen, but I'm also not sure that any Big 12 will be leaving for the Big Ten anytime soon. I don't want anyone to think I have something against Texas, but it's hard to run a conference where one state has so much power (deservedly so in this case).

Last edited by the_meanstrosity : 05-06-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #538
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
The big question for Kansas is does a move for KU have to include KSU? I honestly don't know the answer to that question. That will show how easily Kansas can or can't move. It's going to be hard enough for Kansas to move on their own merits, but nearly impossible if KSU is handcuffed to them.

The Kansas Board of Regents has already said that the two schools are a package deal. KU and KSU have to remain in the same conference. That was the reason I mentioned that they hold very few, if any, bargaining chips if MU and NU jump ship.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #539
Swaggs
Coordinator

I read an interesting post from a supposed Big 12/Texas insider (take that for what it is worth) last night indicating that the Big 12 could look to add Arizona or Arizona State OR (more interestingly) that the Pac 10 and Big 12 could look to form a "Western Alliance" with the Pac 10. That could be interesting, with most of the California, Arizona, and Texas schools forming a loose alliance and selecting a handful of other good teams (Oklahoma, Kansas, Washington, Oregon) and cutting some of the dead weight (I'll leave it up to the other folks to determine who that would be. Supposedly, they could form a 16-team conference and network that would feature more TV homes than the current Big Ten and would rival a 16-team Big Ten. Could be interesting to follow.

I think the Big Ten almost has to go through with a large expansion, at this point. If they decide to stick with 11 or just add Missouri or Rutgers, the other conferences are going to work like hell to get their own networks and will be much less vulnerable in 5 or 10 years.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #540
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I think the Big Ten almost has to go through with a large expansion, at this point. If they decide to stick with 11 or just add Missouri or Rutgers, the other conferences are going to work like hell to get their own networks and will be much less vulnerable in 5 or 10 years.

More importantly, the Big Ten has all the control right now. They can select whoever they want and they can set it up however they want. If they allow the other conferences to start making the moves, they end up in the reactionary position that they currently have some of the other conferences in. Always better to be the one calling the shots.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #541
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The Kansas Board of Regents has already said that the two schools are a package deal. KU and KSU have to remain in the same conference. That was the reason I mentioned that they hold very few, if any, bargaining chips if MU and NU jump ship.

Where did you hear this from the Kansas board of regents? I'm not surprised they would say it, but I honestly haven't heard anyone mention this before. You don't by chance have a link do you?
Old 05-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #542
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I read an interesting post from a supposed Big 12/Texas insider (take that for what it is worth) last night indicating that the Big 12 could look to add Arizona or Arizona State OR (more interestingly) that the Pac 10 and Big 12 could look to form a "Western Alliance" with the Pac 10. That could be interesting, with most of the California, Arizona, and Texas schools forming a loose alliance and selecting a handful of other good teams (Oklahoma, Kansas, Washington, Oregon) and cutting some of the dead weight (I'll leave it up to the other folks to determine who that would be. Supposedly, they could form a 16-team conference and network that would feature more TV homes than the current Big Ten and would rival a 16-team Big Ten. Could be interesting to follow.

I've seen that same theory mentioned as well. I would have no problem with it, but it would take a lot of vision and that's something I don't give the Big 12 front office credit for.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #543
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Where did you hear this from the Kansas board of regents? I'm not surprised they would say it, but I honestly haven't heard anyone mention this before. You don't by chance have a link do you?

I don't. Gabe DeArmond and one of the other editors at the Rivals site had mentioned that the board had already made that decision. He didn't give a source, but I'm guessing you could probably verify in the meeting records.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #544
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't want anyone to think I have something against Texas, but it's hard to run a conference where one state has so much power (deservedly so in this case).

That's why I could also see the ACC being the odd-man out if conference Armageddon occurs. I'm not sure that a lot of the schools in the ACC really enjoy UNC/Duke and the other North Carolina schools having such a disproportionate influence on the Conference.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #545
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I don't. Gabe DeArmond and one of the other editors at the Rivals site had mentioned that the board had already made that decision. He didn't give a source, but I'm guessing you could probably verify in the meeting records.

Ugh. I wouldn't be surprised by anything the board of regents does. I would hope that they used common sense and wouldn't let one school drag the other down. I'm sorry, but neither KU nor KSU have the pull of a Texas or Texas A&M. It's one thing for a state like Texas to pull a move like this (Baylor), but if I'm a conference commissioner I laugh if the state of Kansas tries it. Idiotic if true, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #546
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
That's why I could also see the ACC being the odd-man out if conference Armageddon occurs. I'm not sure that a lot of the schools in the ACC really enjoy UNC/Duke and the other North Carolina schools having such a disproportionate influence on the Conference.

Is it really that bad in the ACC? I don't follow other conference politics that much since I get enough of it in the Big 12. What kind of issues have they had in the ACC?
Old 05-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #547
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Is it really that bad in the ACC? I don't follow other conference politics that much since I get enough of it in the Big 12. What kind of issues have they had in the ACC?

I don't know. I don't really follow the conference politics at all. As far as I know, everyone is happy as a clam.

I just have a sense from inside the Triangle of how insular the mindset is here. For good or ill, I know that people here don't really care what any school other than Duke/UNC/State/Wake thinks or does.

And I know that when the ACC expanded, every school except for Duke and UNC was strongly for it, in large part b/c they wanted to dilute Duke/UNC's influence.

All that said, I don't go onto Rivals, etc. to really get a sense of what these other schools actually think.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #548
Celeval
Pro Starter

FWIW, it's a common complaint around GT circles.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #549
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ugh. I wouldn't be surprised by anything the board of regents does. I would hope that they used common sense and wouldn't let one school drag the other down. I'm sorry, but neither KU nor KSU have the pull of a Texas or Texas A&M. It's one thing for a state like Texas to pull a move like this (Baylor), but if I'm a conference commissioner I laugh if the state of Kansas tries it. Idiotic if true, but it wouldn't surprise me.
810 talked about this today and said that while no one will go on the record and say it, the state regents are unified in their support that Kansas and K-State are a package deal.

I have way too much faith in your AD too. I don't trust Lew Perkins as far as I can throw him. I think he's dirty too, and that will probably catch up with him at some point.

That's why I think Missouri has got to play it smart by playing along with the Big Ten's rules (keep everything quiet and don't talk about expansion) while watching Perkins. He'd given away the farm to take KU to the Big 10 and screw Missouri. Not because he's out to get MU but because he's going to do whatever it takes to help KU, no matter what.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #550
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Most of the prognostication is based on two major assumptions: 1) the Big 10 and Pac-10 want to expand to 12 teams to add a title game; and 2) the next trend for the BCS conference is to move toward 16-team leagues.

I think the Big Ten will set the tone on both. If the Big 10 adds a title game the Pac 10 is going to feel obligated simply to keep up with the Joneses. A title game is going to add $1-2 million per team to the bottom line.

If the Big 10 expands by more than one team, other conferences will feel the same motivation. If the Big 10 adds 3-5 teams those are going to be at the expense of the Big East and the Big 12. Those conferences are going to need to add teams to keep up. The SEC, ACC and Pac 10 will feel pressure to gobble up some of the better teams before they go elsewhere. There are way too many knowledgeable sources who will tell you that the conferences are headed toward a four-conference, 16-teams each super league that will break off from the FBS and create their own league with a plus-one title game.

If the Big 10 expands by one team, the movement will probably be minimum. Since Missouri seems to be the hot name right, let's assume they move to the Big 10. I think Colorado and Utah would be added to the Pac 10. The Big 12 needs two new teams and I think they call TCU and BYU first.

If the Big 10 goes to 16 teams, katy bar the door. In that case, I think the Big East and the Big 12 will be closed by the end of the decade, at least as far as football is concerned. The Big 12 will likely lose three teams and I think BYU would rather go to the Pac 10 than the Big 12. The Big 12 might pickup TCU but it's going to be slim pickings to find two more teams.

But the biggest problem is that I don't know why anyone would want to join the Big 12, and the fact that Missouri, Colorado, Nebraska and maybe KU/KSU are campaigning to bail out should be evidence of that. The Big 12 doesn't share TV revenues equally, which means Texas and OU get almost twice as much as places like KU, MU and even Baylor. But to change the Big 12 constitution you have to have to have nine votes, which means the state of Texas essentially has completely control and veto power over the Big 12. The Big 12 isn't going to win a bidding war for any school -- the only schools that will join the Big 12 will be because they don't have another option. The Big 12 will get the leftovers.

However, if the SEC decides to raid the Big 12, the league is done. The SEC could peel off four Texas schools and be done, or maybe take Texas and A&M along with OU and OSU. If that happens, suddenly the Big 12 is looking for seven new teams. Yikes.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote