Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2005, 02:56 AM   #1
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Anyone interested in a game of Werewolf?

It's a very popular forum game that's played a lot on a board game site that I frequent, basically around 10-11 people play, each are assigned roles by the moderator (me.) Some players are werewolves, who are trying to kill all the villagers, some players are villagers, and a few have a special role. All roles are secret!

Each turn of the game is either a night or day turn, in the night turns the werewolf players (who know who the other werewolves are) decide on which player they want to eat. In the morning, with one person dead, the villagers want revenge and vote on who they want to lynch! The werewolves win the game if they ever equal the number of villagers. The villagers win if they lynch all the werewolves.

I will post the full rules shortly if there is interest, I think 11 players would be a good amount. It's a fun game, there's lots of guessing, psychology, analyzing why other players say what they say or vote as they do, etc. And any game where you can be a rampaging village mob and lynch (potentially innocent) people is sweet.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob

Last edited by Peregrine : 06-20-2005 at 02:57 AM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 04:44 AM   #2
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'd be interested, but I'm not going to have internet access for the next week or so since I'll be on vacation.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:55 AM   #3
KWhit
Coordinator

Sounds fun. I'll play.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:31 AM   #4
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I would join in as well.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:11 AM   #5
KWhit
Coordinator

Hey, look at that. Somewhere along the way, I passed 3000 posts. I wonder when that happened.

Yay me.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:13 AM   #6
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Congrats Kwhit, nice milestone!
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 06-20-2005, 09:38 AM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

Sign me up!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:44 AM   #8
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Sounds like fun. I'll give it a whirl.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:45 AM   #9
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Here are the full rules for people to peruse. There are a lot of variants with special roles and additional rules but this is the basic version for us to try.

RULES

Werewolf is a game of accusation, deduction, lying, reverse psychology and bandwagoning. Moreover, it's a lot of fun.

The rules are pretty simple: The players represent a village and each member of the village has a role which is kept secret. Most players are ordinary villagers but two or more are werewolves and one is a seer, there are some other roles which are explained later. The goal of the villagers is to eliminate all of the werewolves. The goal of the werewolves is to achieve 1:1 parity with the villagers at which time they can openly rise up and overwhelm the villagers thus winning the game.

Gameplay
The game consists of two different phases: Night and Day. The game begins with a Night phase.

Night
In a night phase the moderator will ask the werewolves to choose a villager to “eat” and also ask the seer to choose one player to “view”. The werewolves should decide amongst themselves using the board's PM(private message) function who their victim will be and inform the moderator of their choice. The seer should decide who his target will be and inform the moderator of his choice.

The werewolves' victim is dead and is removed from the game, but the rest of the village won't find out until daytime who the victim is and what their secret role was.

The seer's target has his role (villager or werewolf) revealed to the seer only.

Day
During the daytime the villagers all wake up and find that one of their own has been killed by the werewolves. At this point at least one player is a werewolf and so someone is gonna get lynched.

During this phase all players, including werewolves who have assumed villager form, must discuss their suspicions. Eventually it will reach a point where villagers start to cast votes for who they feel is a werewolf and must be lynched. Votes are cast by placing bold text in a post like this VOTE PLAYER A. At the end of the day (which is defined as 8:00 pm board time) the player who received the most votes is lynched and is removed from the game. That player’s role will be revealed to the village.

When the lynching is done all the villagers go back to their homes to sleep and the next night begins.

Winning
In case it's not clear: The villagers win if they kill all of the werewolves. The werewolves win if they kill enough villagers so that their numbers are equal. At this point the werewolves can openly rise up and slaughter the rest of the villagers.

Special Roles

Roles will be assigned randomly; the Moderator will inform you of your role via PM when we start the game. The following is a description of the roles in the game.

Seer – There is one Seer in the game and he is on the villagers team. Each night the Seer may choose one other player to “view” by sending a PM to the moderator with that player’s name. The moderator will tell the Seer whether his chosen target is a werewolf or a human.

Werewolf – There are two werewolves in the game. The werewolves know who each other are and may send PM’s between themselves to discuss strategy. At night the wolves PM the moderator the name of the player they’d like to eat. In the morning that player’s death will be announced along with his special role

Hunter – There is one Hunter in the game and he is on the villagers team. If at the end of the game the Hunter is alone with one wolf then he will kill that wolf and what would normally have been a wolf win will be a village win.

Sorcerer – There is one sorcerer in the game and he is on the wolves team. The Sorcerer is an evil human and wants the wolves to win. If the wolves do win then the Sorcerer wins also, but if the villagers win then the Sorcerer loses. However, the Sorcerer does not know who the wolves are and the wolves do not know the Sorcerer. Crucially, the Sorcerer will appear as a simple human if viewed by the Seer

Villagers – There are four to six regular villagers in the game. The villagers have no special abilities other than their own deductive ability. They will have to vote wisely to win the game.

Miscellaneous
1) Only the wolves may PM’s between themselves. All other players may not send PM’s (unless to the Moderator as called for by your role or to ask a question)

2) If there is a tie in the lynch vote then the player with the longest held continuous vote against him will be lynched.

If you have any questions please ask.

Last edited by Peregrine : 06-20-2005 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:52 AM   #10
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Once we get enough people to play I'll assign the roles and we can start, until then you can ask questions if you have them.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:58 AM   #11
KevinNU7
College Starter

I want in!
Old 06-20-2005, 10:03 AM   #12
Joe
Pro Starter

I'll play
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:07 AM   #13
Peregrine
Pro Starter

So far we have:

KWhit
BrianD
JeeberD
Fonzie
KevinNU7
George W Bush
Mustang
Condors
Warhammer
Desnudo
Lathum

Last edited by Peregrine : 06-20-2005 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:10 AM   #14
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds interesting.. I'd like in...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:14 AM   #15
condors
College Starter

i will play
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:14 AM   #16
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I'll join in too...
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:29 AM   #17
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

What is the point of the sorcerer? While he is on the wolf team, he still counts as a villager in the scoring, right? Is he just around to try to sway the voting away from the wolves?
Old 06-20-2005, 10:33 AM   #18
Peregrine
Pro Starter

The basic rules sorceror is pretty tough to play. Basically he just tries to keep himself alive long enough for the werewolves to win, and tries to deflect suspicion from them, if possible. He's not really a necessary character, if we want we can dump him and just replace him with another villager. In some of the more advanced rules he has some special powers that makes him more useful.

EDIT - He is still a human and counts for the humans in determining the 1:1 ratio for the wolves. But he wins if the wolves win at the end.

Last edited by Peregrine : 06-20-2005 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:35 AM   #19
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
The basic rules sorceror is pretty tough to play. Basically he just tries to keep himself alive long enough for the werewolves to win, and tries to deflect suspicion from them, if possible. He's not really a necessary character, if we want we can dump him and just replace him with another villager. In some of the more advanced rules he has some special powers that makes him more useful.

Sounds like an interesting character. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:32 AM   #20
Desnudo
Coordinator

I'll give it a go
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 11:43 AM   #21
KWhit
Coordinator

Sounds like PMing is going to be important for the wolves in this game. So before roles are assigned, everyone make sure you have plenty of space in your PM box.

Seems like it might be a dead giveaway if someone were to post "PING: So-and-so. Your PM box is full."
Old 06-20-2005, 11:45 AM   #22
JeeberD
General Manager

So the seer can tell the villagers the results of his sight, right?

Old 06-20-2005, 11:45 AM   #23
KWhit
Coordinator

A question. You say that PMs are only allowed by wolves. I assume, though, that there will be an official thread where everyone can post accusations, lies, etc. right?
Old 06-20-2005, 11:47 AM   #24
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD

Ah. Good question.

But, who can tell who the real seer is?

Old 06-20-2005, 11:48 AM   #25
JeeberD
General Manager

I have a feeling that KWhit is gonna be damn good at this game...

Old 06-20-2005, 11:50 AM   #26
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD

And who do you think will be the next villager to be eaten?
Old 06-20-2005, 11:52 AM   #27
KWhit
Coordinator

Hehe.

Yep.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:00 PM   #28
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Is there still room?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:24 PM   #29
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Looks like I'm too late, but you can add me to the waiting list if a slot becomes available.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:19 PM   #30
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I've added Desnudo and Lathum as the final two spots, with Eaglesfan27 as an alternate.

Yes, the wolves will be PMing each other a lot, to determine their strategy. This is both who they will eat, and how they will approach their "human" roles. Lots of strategic options here, possibly making wild accusations to throw others off, and maybe get some innocent villager lynched, or maybe being quiet and crafty since the wild accusations might get themselves lynched. They want to get innocent people killed, (and they're the only ones who know who all the innocent people are, except the sorceror) but they have to be careful not to be too overzealous.

The seer (and anyone else) can say anything they want. Yes, we'll have a thread, that's where the main game takes place. People will be proclaiming innocence (the game usually starts with a post where everyone introduces themselves as a friendly villager) and trying to throw the blame on others. There's usually a lot of back and forth, people talking about who is suspicious, and why, etc. The seer has to be very careful since he or she will have knowledge, but is also a very high priority target for the wolves if he tips his hand.

Also, I may move the day turn end back to 7 pm. Hopefully this should give the wolves time to tell me who they're going to eat (after 7) without waiting too long into the next day. So the earlier I can get that info after night starts, the better.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:21 PM   #31
Desnudo
Coordinator

So can we start with the lynching, or does someone have to get eaten first?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:34 PM   #32
KevinNU7
College Starter

I think the crime has to happen first.

Peregrine, are you going to PM everyone their roles or just PM the non-villagers?
Old 06-20-2005, 01:37 PM   #33
Peregrine
Pro Starter

The first night no one will be killed, the seer can use their ability, and during the first day you get to lynch someone. Pre-emptive lynching, since you're all paranoid. I'll start up a new thread so we can get the game going, and assign the roles shortly via PM. Whoever's the seer can PM me with who they want to check out, and the rest of you can introduce yourselves, light RP is acceptable, but not required.

Last edited by Peregrine : 06-20-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:38 PM   #34
KevinNU7
College Starter

Ok, so the game starts with villager 12 getting killed (or else there's no reason for a lynching)
Old 06-20-2005, 01:43 PM   #35
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I'll start the thread, and all will be explained.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:45 PM   #36
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

And what happens to the first villager that starts the game by being eaten? I'm assuming they are just out of the game before it really starts? One would think that this game wouldn't last more than 4 or 5 days, so getting killed early shouldn't be too serious.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:45 PM   #37
Peregrine
Pro Starter

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/foru...ad.php?t=40003
Old 06-20-2005, 07:33 PM   #38
ratpfink
n00b

Hey Peregrine, where did you lift those rules from? And where have you played before?

They look awfully familiar...
Old 06-20-2005, 07:35 PM   #39
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Boardgamegeek of course, the churning home of all forum Werewolf, as far as I know. I had a feeling people here would dig it though.

Last edited by Peregrine : 06-20-2005 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:51 PM   #40
ratpfink
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
Boardgamegeek of course, the churning home of all forum Werewolf, as far as I know.
Ok. Those geeks took my base rules(hxxp://www.dangpow.com/~rat/werewolf) and tweaked them. I moderated the first game on BGG.

I also moderated the first game on the footballguys.com forums, which is what I wrote that quickie rules page for. I'm not sure where I lifted them from, I think I cobbled them together from a variety of sources, mostly from the eblong.com werewolf page and some other forum that I only found through searching. I can't remember what that is anymore.

Anyway, it's just kind of weird to see this game spread...
Old 06-20-2005, 09:51 PM   #41
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Well I lifted the rules from a game on there, and the moderator told me he lifted them from somewhere else. Anyway this is my first time moderating a game so hopefully it will all go okay.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:13 AM   #42
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Here are the full rules for people to peruse. There are a lot of variants with special roles and additional rules but this is the basic version for us to try.

RULES

Werewolf is a game of accusation, deduction, lying, reverse psychology and bandwagoning. Moreover, it's a lot of fun.

The rules are pretty simple: The players represent a village and each member of the village has a role which is kept secret. Most players are ordinary villagers but two or more are werewolves and one is a seer, there are some other roles which are explained later. The goal of the villagers is to eliminate all of the werewolves. The goal of the werewolves is to achieve 1:1 parity with the villagers at which time they can openly rise up and overwhelm the villagers thus winning the game.

Gameplay
The game consists of two different phases: Night and Day. The game begins with a Night phase.

Night
In a night phase the moderator will ask the werewolves to choose a villager to “eat” and also ask the seer to choose one player to “view”. The werewolves should decide amongst themselves using the board's PM(private message) function who their victim will be and inform the moderator of their choice. The seer should decide who his target will be and inform the moderator of his choice.

The werewolves' victim is dead and is removed from the game, but the rest of the village won't find out until daytime who the victim is and what their secret role was.

The seer's target has his role (villager or werewolf) revealed to the seer only.

Day
During the daytime the villagers all wake up and find that one of their own has been killed by the werewolves. At this point at least one player is a werewolf and so someone is gonna get lynched.

During this phase all players, including werewolves who have assumed villager form, must discuss their suspicions. Eventually it will reach a point where villagers start to cast votes for who they feel is a werewolf and must be lynched. Votes are cast by placing bold text in a post like this VOTE PLAYER A. At the end of the day (which is defined as 8:00 pm board time) the player who received the most votes is lynched and is removed from the game. That player’s role will be revealed to the village.

When the lynching is done all the villagers go back to their homes to sleep and the next night begins.

Winning
In case it's not clear: The villagers win if they kill all of the werewolves. The werewolves win if they kill enough villagers so that their numbers are equal. At this point the werewolves can openly rise up and slaughter the rest of the villagers.

Special Roles

Roles will be assigned randomly; the Moderator will inform you of your role via PM when we start the game. The following is a description of the roles in the game.

Seer – There is one Seer in the game and he is on the villagers team. Each night the Seer may choose one other player to “view” by sending a PM to the moderator with that player’s name. The moderator will tell the Seer whether his chosen target is a werewolf or a human.

Werewolf – There are two werewolves in the game. The werewolves know who each other are and may send PM’s between themselves to discuss strategy. At night the wolves PM the moderator the name of the player they’d like to eat. In the morning that player’s death will be announced along with his special role

Hunter – There is one Hunter in the game and he is on the villagers team. If at the end of the game the Hunter is alone with one wolf then he will kill that wolf and what would normally have been a wolf win will be a village win.

Sorcerer – There is one sorcerer in the game and he is on the wolves team. The Sorcerer is an evil human and wants the wolves to win. If the wolves do win then the Sorcerer wins also, but if the villagers win then the Sorcerer loses. However, the Sorcerer does not know who the wolves are and the wolves do not know the Sorcerer. Crucially, the Sorcerer will appear as a simple human if viewed by the Seer

Villagers – There are four to six regular villagers in the game. The villagers have no special abilities other than their own deductive ability. They will have to vote wisely to win the game.

Miscellaneous
1) Only the wolves may PM’s between themselves. All other players may not send PM’s (unless to the Moderator as called for by your role or to ask a question)

2) If there is a tie in the lynch vote then the player with the longest held continuous vote against him will be lynched.

If you have any questions please ask.
Bumped and quoted for people's convienance.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:10 AM   #43
saldana
Pro Starter

wtf barkeep....all of the sudden youre a mod and my link isnt good enough?!?!!!!!!111!!!11!
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:22 AM   #44
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
wtf barkeep....all of the sudden youre a mod and my link isnt good enough?!?!!!!!!111!!!11!
I hope this is a joke as A) I'm not a mod yet (just leading in the poll, which might or might not be what SD does) and B) I had no intention to offend, merely thought bumping it made sense. If I have offended I apologize.

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 09-30-2006 at 11:22 AM.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:00 PM   #45
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I hope this is a joke as A) I'm not a mod yet (just leading in the poll, which might or might not be what SD does) and B) I had no intention to offend, merely thought bumping it made sense. If I have offended I apologize.

of course it was a joke...note the stupid exclamation point/1/exclamation point thing....that would possibly be the dumbest thing to get mad about in the history of getting mad.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:05 PM   #46
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
of course it was a joke...note the stupid exclamation point/1/exclamation point thing....that would possibly be the dumbest thing to get mad about in the history of getting mad.

Second dumbest, actually.

The dumbest would be that people who play werewolf have more posts than you.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:07 PM   #47
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Second dumbest, actually.

The dumbest would be that people who play werewolf have more posts than you.

Zing!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote