Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #1
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Nogomet: Football in Slovenia (FM 14)

Hi, everybody.

Once again, I encountered some problems with my FM 16 game, in which I was managing the Liechtenstein national team. This time the game hung up in early August 2016, and nothing I could do would make it progress past that point.

I'd like to begin a new Football Manager dynasty, one that will have a nice, long run. I wasn't sure what the premise of my dynasty would be, so I decided to solicit some opinions.

I got a handful of private messages from forum members with ideas, which I appreciated. That helped me narrow down the possible scenarios.

Then, I decided to turn the question over to a select advisory panel: my children. My nine-year-old daughter was the first to weigh in, and she suggested I manage in Slovenia. One of her best friends is a second-generation American whose grandparents came from Slovenia after World War II. So, I'm off to Slovenia.

I've downloaded an edited database that adds a third level to the Slovenian football pyramid. I'll pick a team at the lowest level, and that's where my story will begin.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 07-17-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:46 PM   #2
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

I've chosen to manage NK Sava Kranj, a club in the Slovenian Third Division West.

Since the Slovenian word for "football"is "nogomet," "Nogometni Klub" obviously means "football club." The team is based in Kranj, a city of about 54,000 people which is the fourth-largest in Slovenia. The Sava River, which flows through the city, gives the club its name.

Here's a map of Slovenia. Kranj is the city inside the blue circle. The large city to the southeast of Kranj is Ljubljana, the nation's capital and largest city. (It's pronounced "lyoo-BLYAH-nah.")

Several things made Sava appealing to me. They're one of two clubs in their division from Kranj, which makes for a spirited derby. Their rival, NK Zarica Kranj, are the bigger, more fancied club in town. In fact, the game simply calls them "Kranj." Our tiny ground holds 500, half as much as theirs, and none of our supporters may sit unless they bring their own chairs.

I like Sava's kits, too.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:24 AM   #3
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Those are some nice kits!
Old 07-20-2016, 03:27 AM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Nice country pick by the kiddo.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:53 PM   #5
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgunn View Post
Those are some nice kits!

I thought so, too. Kind of a classic Miami Dolphins vibe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Nice country pick by the kiddo.

I know, right? Her friend is a sweet girl, and I've met her grandparents, who are fantastic people. That kind of personal connection ought to make this career even more fun than usual.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, gents. I hope you'll keep following the story.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:39 PM   #6
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

13 July 2013

We open our Third League West campaign today, so it's time to look at the squad I've assembled to open the season.

Goalkeepers

Topic might be the tiniest 'keeper I've ever seen. He's actually not terrible in the air, either. We're in trouble if Gasior has to play for any length of time. Finding a steadier backup might not be a bad plan.

Defenders

Horvat is a very good player, one other teams are trying to prise from us. He will start at right back, because we don't have a better option there (yet), but with that size and his strength, he'd be a beast at center half.

M. Hozjan has one center back spot locked down, and the other will be either veteran Meznaric or one of the other big young dudes, Zelko and Zibert.

Prelog
will man the left side.

Midfielders

One of my formations, the 4-1-2-2-1, uses a defensive midfielder. I have two good options here, Djuranovic and Kerin.

Our other regular formation is my favorite 4-4-2. We can use Djuranovic as a holding central midfielder in that tactic, with Oblak, who is in on a year-long loan from our senior affiliate club, Triglav, as his more creative partner.

Our wide men will be Flisar and Suligoj, who might be our two best all-round talents. Flisar is exceptionally versatile.

There are also several good players among the backups. Hopefully they will be satisfied with their squad status; if they begin to grumble, I could find myself needing to move some of them out.

Forwards

Magdic is an exceptionally well-rounded striker who can lead the line himself, or fill either the creator or scorer role in a strike partnership.

If Magdic is paired with Jug, the latter will play deeper. If G. Hojzan is his partner, Magdic will be the supplier, as Hojzan is a better finisher.

I'm well under my wage budget, so I can afford to look for a right back and a reserve 'keeper. Those are the only spots where I really need reinforcement right now. Unless, of course, it turns out that all our players are rubbish, and then I'd need a whole new squad.

We'll see which is closer to the truth.

P.S. I believe the "ic" at the end of these Slovenian names is almost always pronounced as "itch." So, our goalkeeper's name is probably "TOP-itch," not "TOP-ik," and it's probably "Joor-AHN-o-vich," too.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 07-21-2016 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:35 AM   #7
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

July 2013

We looked good during our preseason friendlies, having our way with smaller teams, with the exception of the surprise loss away to Bonfika.

Our league opener, at home to Jadran Dekani, was an entertaining match. The first goal of my managerial tenure was scored five minutes in, when Gorazd Hojdan played in Tim Spudic for an easy finish. Some terrible defending allowed them to equalize on a corner, and they scored a beautiful goal to take the lead. We scored a fluky, almost comical goal to draw level. David Oblac launched a long pass, hoping to find the run of Bojan Jug. Their goalkeeper came out to get the ball, too, and the three of them--'keeper, ball, and Jug--met just inside the penalty area. Jug poked the ball past the sliding 'keeper and into the net.

Unfortunately, we got some bad news. Hojdan gashed his leg, and would be out for several weeks. Also, five of our players were cautioned, and in this league, a player is banned after his second yellow card!

Kamnik lined up in a formation I'd never seen before, with a sweeper, two center backs, two wingbacks, three central midfielders, and two strikers. The 17 people who came to their grounds to watch the match saw Mitja Magdic score in stoppage time to give us the victory.

We lost a dull contest at home to Jezero Medvode when we left a player unmarked on a corner and he headed past Samir Topic.

We're eighth in the league right now, which isn't bad, considering we're predicted to battle relegation all year long.

Transfers

I achieved both my goals for the summer transfer window, adding a second goalkeeper and a right back.

The 'keeper is Fredi Oblak, age 21, whom I signed on a free from an amateur club called NK Komenda. Believe it or not, he's even smaller than Topic...he's 5'6". He has very sure hands, however, and he's good at organizing his defense. He agreed to a non-contract deal.

Free agent Damjan Romih, age 34, joined the club in time for the Jezero Medvode game. He is technically sound and mentally tough, and he can still run well. Damjan is also comfortable at a variety of positions, which is crucial...because I can only dress three substitutes per match.

I also hired an additional coach, Denis Peknic. He's especially good at coaching defensive principles, judging talent, and motivating players, especially younger ones. I got lucky, because Denis was the only coach who answered our advert who would agree to work for the wages our board would approve.

Denis joins assistant manager Niko Vincovic and youth development head Ljubisa Cesar on our coaching staff. Scout Marko Kotnic and physio Matej Kastelic round out our backroom team.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:58 PM   #8
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

August 2013

The season is still very young, but so far, we're confounding the experts who predicted we'd be fighting to avoid the drop. The league season is 26 games long, so it's far too soon to assume anything, but right now, we're looking good.

It took us a while to get on track at Rudar Trbovije, but a quickfire double from Bojan Jug got us the victory. Unfortunately, the three points came at a very heavy cost. Big defender Anze Horvat twisted his knee, and he missed the next three matches.

My home league debut saw us face a Ivancna Gorica side that looks like it will be a strong one. Davorin Kerin, who came on as a sub, was the hero--his perfect cross for Darko Suligoj earned us a draw.

Ajdovscina had two men sent off during the game, so I'm a little surprised we only managed one goal. Miha Hozjan scored a rare goal, volleying home Suligoj's corner.

Niko Djuranovic, whom you'll meet later, treated the home fans to a goal on his debut. I'd like to see us win one for our supporters, who have so far only seen draws. Then, Niko hit a brace to help us see off Brda at their grounds. Jug had a great game, laying on two goals and scoring one himself.

Transfers

The Slovenian transfer window closed on 31 August. I didn't make any deals that day, but earlier in the week, I bolstered our offense by signing two new strikers. They are "new" to our club, but certainly not to football; their combined age is 75.

Matej Vörös arrives from NK Komenda, the same club where I found Fredi Oblak. Matej is a cultured, technically sound striker who can still run like a man half his age (37).

Niko Djuranovic has endeared himself to Sava supporters with three goals in his first two games. He keeps himself in outstanding shape, and at 38, he's still strong as an ox. Niko plays with flair and a touch of attitude.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 08-06-2016 at 06:58 PM.