Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-09-2009, 05:45 AM   #1
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Searching for Piazza: The Low Pick Baseball Mogul Dynasty

Mike Piazza was probably the most famous low round draft pick in baseball history. If you're reading this, you're probably aware that the vast majority of players taken past the first few rounds of the MLB draft never make the majors. In Baseball Mogul, this is much less true, since their draft is only six rounds. But the odds are still against them. Would any of them turn out to be impact players? Let's see...

This dynasty highlights the players who were the last taken in the draft of their year, which in all cases will be #6-30, or the 180th player drafted.

NUTS & BOLTS:

* Using Baseball Mogul 2010, version 12.12
* Started in 2009 with real players
* Most default settings except minor league promotions turned way up; DPs and HBPs dialed down; SBs and CSs turned up
* I didn't run any teams
* No players were modified by me
* I auto-simmed the league through April 1, 2050; all statistics and ratings are as of that date
* Years that are missing didn't have a 6-30 pick make the majors. I'm sure they have stories too, but they're lost to Mogul history. Game quirk, sorry.

Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:51 AM   #2
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Ray Rebaza

2010 - 1B Ray Rebaza (Atlanta)

The switch hitter was drafted out of high school, where he showed an ability to ping singles, but did nothing else particularly well. He made slow progress through the system until 2018, when he averaged over .400 at AA and AAA. He got a cup of coffee late in '18 with the Braves.

After the season he was traded to the Marlins, where he stayed for the next 7 seasons. He spent significant time in the minors every season except for 2025. When he was in the big leagues, he was a backup 1B/pinch hitter type who pinged singles with the occasional double or walk. His best season was his only full season in the majors in '25, when he hit .315 in 152 games. This was not enough to persuade the Marlins to keep him past his cheap years, so he signed with the Braves again. They sent him to AAA with only the briefest of action at the ML level. Then he broke his wrist, missing the rest of the '26 season, and the Braves lost interest. They gave him the heave ho during the '27 season and he decided to retire.

Rebaza excelled at not making errors and sported a .997 fielding percentage in 464 games at first. He also played 17 games in left.

In 499 career games, Rebaza complied a batting line of .288/.338/.397. He made no playoff appearances.

NEXT: A speedy outfielder taken by the Cardinals. Rickey Henderson or Herbie Washington?

Last edited by Honolulu Blue : 10-09-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Neat dynasty idea.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Rich Templin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Neat dynasty idea.

Thank you. I can't say it's very original, but I wanted to do my take on things.

2012 - OF Rich Templin (St. Louis)

The lefty was drafted out of college, where he showed good speed and an ability to hit 'em where they weren't. He impressed the Cardinals, who kept him around until he finally made the big club in 2016. He played 10 games and got a World Series ring for doing not very much. He stayed with the team the whole year in '17, but only played in 12 games. No injury; just a very limited role. He played more in '18, where his 37 games were over half his career total. He stole 11 bases without getting caught that year, but only hit .230 with few walks and no power. He only played in 2 games in 2019, then was traded to Milwaukee, who released him in midseason. Oakland then picked him up, but was dumped after spring training. He retired after the 2021 season.

Templin's fielding was always disappointing - his range was only so-so and his arm was not very good.

In 61 career games, Templin compiled a batting line of .225/.264/.249.

NEXT: Washington takes a third baseman. Is he the replacement for that Zimmerman guy?
Old 10-11-2009, 01:11 AM   #5
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Ryan Baker

2014 - 3B Ryan Baker (Washington)

The righty was drafted out of high school, where his all-around hitting attracted the Nationals' attention. He made steady progress through 2019, when he got a 2-game cup of coffee with the big club. He was again a September callup in 2020, this time playing in 10 games. Those two seasons were his major league career, and he hung it up for good after the '22 season.

Baker showed no special skills at any level, and in 12 career games, he compiled a batting line of .200/.214/.300.

NEXT: The Cardinals take a catcher. Could he be...?

Last edited by Honolulu Blue : 10-11-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:23 AM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

So far, it's a miss and no hits. I guess it'll take a while on these kinds of deals, huh? I mean...if there were diamonds in those rough that often, everyone would do it.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
So far, it's a miss and no hits. I guess it'll take a while on these kinds of deals, huh? I mean...if there were diamonds in those rough that often, everyone would do it.

Well, I'd count Mr. Rebaza as a hit. There really aren't that many major league players who have played in almost 500 games. To have made it that far has to be considered a success, even if it is just in a text sim.

And, not to give anything away, there are better players than him coming up - if you're willing to stick around for them...
Old 10-12-2009, 04:00 AM   #8
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Todd Jamfrey

2017 - C Todd Jamfrey (St. Louis)

The righty was drafted out of high school, where he impressed the scouts with his good hitting (for a catcher). He kept moving up the chain despite a severe lack of punch. He made it to the Cards in '22 as a defensive replacement for two games. He never made it back to the big leagues. St. Louis traded him after the 2023 season to Cincinnati, who kept him as an organization man for two seasons before releasing him. He retired after that.

Jamfrey had a substandard arm, which made him a generally poor option behind the plate, since it was always easy to find someone who could hit just as badly but could control the running game better.

Jamfrey never had an at bat in his 2 career games.

NEXT: We look at a Cubs infielder. Only in text sims do the Cubs do what it takes to get the last pick.

Last edited by Honolulu Blue : 10-12-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:10 AM   #9
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Joe Miller

2019 - 3B/2B Joe Miller (Chicago Cubs)

The switch hitter was drafted out of college. He always showed the ability to hit singles and not strike out much. He did the same as he slowly rose through the minors. He rarely got much playing or development time because there was always some prospect the organization liked better. But he got his chance one September day in 2026 - he started the game and got a hit in three at bats. That was the sum and total of his major league career. He hung it up after the '28 season.

Miller would have had a career if he'd been able to field better at second. His DP pivot was poor and he was error prone.

One single in three at-bats gave Miller a batting line of .333/.333/.333.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:14 AM   #10
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

2020 - OF Roger Akehurst (LA Angels)

2020 - OF Roger Akehurst (LA Angels)

Two for the price of one? Why not? Here's another switch hitter who was drafted out of high school. He showed a very good bat there, especially his last two years. The Angels took a flyer, and watched as he lost his power but slowly moved up the organizational charts anyway. He got a quick look in '28, and did all right in four starts in left - 3-for-14 with two walks and a double. He also fielded 10 chances perfectly. They sent him down and he retired after that season.

Akehurst was clearly not an organization favorite. He played 108 games in 2021, and slowly went down from there.

In 4 games, his batting line was .214/.313/.286.

NEXT: An outfielder with a famous last name. Is this the guy we're looking for?
Old 10-13-2009, 09:39 AM   #11
Izulde
Head Coach

What a fun dynasty idea

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:26 AM   #12
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Matt Biggio

2021 - OF Matt Biggio (Toronto)

This right hander was drafted out of high school. It's hard to see what they saw in him; his average was OK, but thousands of guys who weren't drafted did better. He drew some walks, but lots of guys do that against high school pitching. And his career high in homers was 4. He showed no special ability at several positions.

Biggio never did show any home run power in the minors, but he developed some doubles power and a pretty patient stance at the plate. His call finally came in '26, when he played in 5 games. Throughout his cheap years in Toronto (2026-32), he was little more than a spare outfielder who could pinch run, hit some singles and the odd double, and fill in at several positions. In '32 he hit .310 in 274 ABs (90 games). This was good enough for Toronto to keep him for one more year. They promptly put him deeper on the bench and he hit only .271 in 57 games. Baltimore picked him up relatively cheaply for one year, and quite a year it was - .326/.387/.414 in 129 games. They re-signed him for a year at $9.4 million (which sounds like more than it is; Mogul has inflation). He had probably his best season - .319/.406/.403 in 142 games. The Orioles signed him to a 3-year contract after the season for $10.3 million per. Then the O's got an offer they couldn't refuse from San Diego, so they traded him during spring training. He adjusted well and was having a fine season in '36 for his new team when he wrecked his knee in late August. That ended his season, but worse than that was having the Padres put him on the bench the next two seasons. His contract expired and Biggio decided to call it a career.

He played double digit games at every infield and outfield position and was decent at all of them. The vast majority of his games were in left, his best position. He hit .444 in the playoffs for Toronto - 4 for 9. He's most proud of his World Series ring from Toronto in 2031 - where he had one at bat.

In 812 career games, Biggio's batting line was .300/.375/.381.

NEXT: The Tigers ruin another pitcher's career; the White Sox hope for another Carlton Fisk.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:18 AM   #13
BYU 14
Coordinator

Best career yet, too bad he blew his knee. Really enjoying this dynasty.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:56 AM   #14
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
What a fun dynasty idea

Thank you. I didn't mean to ignore you; threre were things I wanted to say in an extended post, but I didn't get a chance to do it until now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Best career yet, too bad he blew his knee. Really enjoying this dynasty.

And thank you too. Keep in mind that Mr. Biggio was 34 when he hurt his knee, so his career was probably didn't have far to go anyway. I'm glad to see what he could do for a few seasons as a regular. It could be argued that Toronto should have given him a better chance, but without reviewing the particulars, I can't judge them too harshly.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:00 AM   #15
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Seth Despard

2025 - P Seth Despard (Detroit)

Finally, a pitcher! This righty was drafted out of high school. Superficially his record seemed attractive, but there were any number of pitchers who looked better. He didn't throw very hard or have great control, but he did get the ground balls. The Tigers kept moving him up because they had to, I guess. He got September call-ups each year from 2031 to 2034, for a total of 9 games - all in relief (he was exclusively a starter in the minors). He was something less than ordinary in his appearances. He gave up the charade after the '34 season.

In 9 games, Despard was 1-0, 6.33 with no saves. He pitched 21 1/3 innings, gave up 28 hits, 15 walks, and 7 strikeouts.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:07 AM   #16
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Dee McWhirr

2026 - C Dee McWhirr (Chicago White Sox)

This righty was drafted out of high school. Power and walks were his game at the plate, while behind it he was ahead of his peers. He moved through the minors and got into one game in 2030 - one at bat, one hit. Perfect! After beating the bushes some more, he returned to the Sox in '33. He hit .350 in 7 games, including two home runs. But he eventually tired of being the #3 or 4 catcher in the Sox system and retired after the 2037 season.

McWhirr could never hit for average in the minors, despite the power and walks.

In 8 career games, McWhirr's batting line was .381/.409/.667

NEXT: Philadelphia takes an outfielder.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:53 AM   #17
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Edmund Soloeano

2027 - OF Edmund Soloeano (Philadelphia)

This righty was drafted out of high school. He had a big senior year to get on the scouts' radar. The Phillies rather liked him and he made it to the majors for 7 games in 2033. He warmed the bench as a backup/pinch hitter the next three seasons, picking up two World Series rings along the way. He never did anything much for Philadelphia, so they let him go once his cheap years were done. Boston is always in the market for righty power, so they signed him for two years. His first year was marred by injury, but the '38 season was probably his best of his career - .280/.354/.467 in 147 games. They re-signed him for two more years. In 2039 he hit for the cycle and won a Gold Glove in right field, and his hitting was OK. He only played in 40 games in 2040 for unknown reasons, but he was of the same quality. The Red Sox signed him to another contract after the season. He was traded in a deadline deal in '42 to the Angels. They got what they wanted, and he hit .385 in the ALDS with two dingers. They went on to win the World Series with limited further contributions from Soloeano. After '42 the average started to go, then the power, and he reached the end of his contract with no suitable offers. He went to the independent leagues to show his stuff, but there were still no takers. He retired sometime during the '45 season.

Soloeano played primarily in right, but he was competent at all the outfield positions. He crushed lefties throughout his career; his line was .285/.364/.481 against them.

Soloeano crossed the 1000 game mark at 1016. His career regular season batting line was .252/.343/.424. Winners seemed to follow him around, as he was .234/.315/.450 in 38 playoff games.

NEXT: Did you know that Ryne Sandberg was a 20th round pick? We have a couple of middle infielders that aren't going to remind you of him, but they made the bigs too. At least in my little world.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:44 PM   #18
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Chris Richards

2028 - SS Chris Richards (Arizona)

This righty was drafted out of high school primarily for his defensive skills. His hitting was modest as he crawled up the organizational ladder. By 2038 he had started to hit for a consistent .300+ average at AAA, and that was enough to make him a September call-up the next year. He started two games that year and had a couple of hits. He got into 15 games with the 'Backs the next year and went .276/.311/.345 in 58 at bats - not half bad for a defense-first guy. He was shuffled back to AAA in 2041. Late in spring training of the '42 season, he was included in a 5-person trade with Atlanta. They kept him at AAA and he retired in frustration a month before the end of the season.

Richards probably should have gotten a better chance than he did. Shortstops who can play the field well and make a minor contribution on offense are relatively scarce. His chances were hurt, I suppose, by his relatively inefficiency at playing the other infield spots.

In 17 career games, Richards had a batting line of .277/.309/.338. No playoff action for him.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:50 PM   #19
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Nate Cundiff

2029 - 2B Nate Cundiff (Washington)

This switch hitter was drafted out of college. Getting on base was his primary game, since he had little speed or power. He never really hit much above AA, but that didn't keep the Nats from calling him up in September of '32 and '33. He was primarily a defensive sub and only had 4 at bats those years for Washington. Liberation came when Florida asked for him as part of a 5-person deal. He spent all of '34 in the minors, but made it to Florida for a month in '35. They were obviously trying out second basemen to see if he could help them. In 27 games he hit .218/.273/.218. I guess he wasn't much help, so they banished him to the minors and finally cut him in July 2037. He retired after that season.

Cundiff was a pretty good fielder, but not enough to overcome a puny batting line.

In 41 career games, Cundiff had a batting line of .207/.269/.207. That's right, 82 at bats, zero extra base hits.

NEXT: I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so...
Old 10-18-2009, 12:58 AM   #20
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Hiro Ishibashi

2030 - OF Hiro Ishibashi (Philadelphia)

This righty was drafted out of high school. He must have had some connections, because he was unimpressive as a prospect in about every way. He finally reached AAA in 2036 and played an inning at 2nd base for the Phillies - not his best position. Thankfully the ball went elsewhere. He didn't get his first major league hit until 2040, when Philadelphia decided to try him out. In 15 games, he hit .256/.319/.302 - anemic for a corner outfielder, but probably better than he deserved. The Phillies dumped him after spring training '42, he did the independent league thing, and disappeared from sight. Rumor is he retired, but who really knows?

Ishibashi had huge platoon edges in the minors, but in the majors his OPS was .799 against righties, but .343 against the people he should've been hitting.

In 16 career games, Ishibashi's batting line was .256/.319/.302.

NEXT: A pitcher that was big in Japan, and not too bad in the States.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:39 AM   #21
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Tameyori Kaneshiro

2031 - P Tameyori Kaneshiro (Detroit)

Another Japanese player, huh? I should mention that there's no mechanism for signing international players in Baseball Mogul outside the amateur draft.

Anyway, this righty hurler was drafted out of college. He was always a groundball tosser with so-so control. The Tigers must have been short on young, quality arms, since he went through their system relatively quickly. He pitched in 8 games in '35 and 3 games in '36 with decent ERAs both years. One of his best years was 2037 when he went 6-3, 3.69 with one save. He split time between AAA, the rotation, and the pen that year. In '38 and '39 he decreased his time at AAA and started moving into the rotation. Finally, in 2040, he made the rotation to stay. He was 9-9, 5.47 in 32 games (31 starts). The Tigers were impressed enough to offer him arbitration. In '41 he went 14-10, 4.49 - probably his best year in the rotation. That earned him a 2-year deal. He had a winning record (20-17) the next two seasons, but his ERA averaged out to over 5. The Tigers didn't re-sign him and there was only token interest from other clubs. He went back to Japan and retired there.

Perhaps Kaneshiro pitched in the wrong league. He had a reputation as a fine hitter, and his .286 average in 14 at bats hinted at his talent there.

In 206 games (156 starts), Kaneshiro's career line was 59-52, 4.85 with 1 save.

NEXT: Toronto presents a lefty pitcher for our consideration.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:18 PM   #22
PilotMan
Head Coach

I like the stories of guys you pay attention to.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:32 AM   #23
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Paul Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I like the stories of guys you pay attention to.

Thank you.

2032 - P Paul Wright (Toronto)

This lefty was drafted out of college. His left arm and size were the most interesting parts about him. He played basketball for Cal State Fullerton and received attention from some European teams. But he declined them all to make his fortune in baseball. He made steady progress through the Jays' system and got a September cup of coffee in '37. He pitched one game of garbage relief - 3 innings, 7 hits (including 2 home runs), 3 runs. He did strike out three. Alas, he never made it back, and he got caught in a roster squeeze and Toronto released him in midseason 2039. He retired after that season.

Wright's career line was 0-0, 9.00.

NEXT: Cleveland takes a shortstop. Should Julio Franco be worried that Tribe fans will forget about him?
Old 10-20-2009, 11:34 PM   #24
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Ron Dressel

2033 - SS Ron Dressel (Cleveland)

This righty was drafted out of college. He was fast, hit for a good average, had a little pop, and could field. He would have done better if he'd been drafted a year earlier, but his disappointing .274 average scared some people. Cleveland was seriously short of middle infield help, so they moved him to the big leagues in September after two months of play at A ball. He was overmatched (2-for-17), but the next season was better. He went to AA and did well, then spent another September in Cleveland. He hit .306/.328/.419 in 14 games. He split '35 between AA and Cleveland and was disappointing in both places. The next year put him in AAA before moving up. His .229 average was hardly any better. In '37 he started the year at AAA, but was quickly called up. He played in 90 games and hit .290/.356/.374. In 2038 the Indians signed some free agents to help out in their middle infield, so Dressel started at AAA again. Injuries to others forced him to the big club again, where he hit .233 before tearing up his knee. After coming back, he split the year between AAA and the Tribe, hitting .289 in 62 games. In 2040 he was traded early in the season to Milwaukee. Finally he would get his chance as a regular. He was a little disappointing, hitting .276/.319/.343 in 135 games for Milwaukee. He was among the league leaders with 34 stolen bases. His cheap years were done and the Brewers decided to go in a different direction. He went to the independent leagues, but no call ever came for his services, so he retired after the '41 season.

In 415 games, Dressel's career line was .266/.318/.335.

NEXT: Boston has had plenty of great outfielders in its history. Could this next guy take his name among them?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:37 PM   #25
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Jeremy Piper

2034 - OF Jeremy Piper (Boston)

This righty slugger was drafted out of high school. He also drew plenty of walks and could fly. Don't ask about his defense. He eventually became a lifer in AA, and usually torched through that league, but the Red Sox had other prospects in AAA and no real room for him. Piper did, however, spend some time in Boston during the '41 season. He had 7 starts, getting 10 hits, stealing 5 bases, and scoring 7 runs. He never made it back to the big leagues and retired after the '44 season.

I think I would have given him a better chance. He would have been a natural leadoff hitter and DH.

In 7 games, Piper's career line was .345/.406/.448.

NEXT: Our first All-Star! What could he possibly be like?
Old 10-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #26
PilotMan
Head Coach

Wow! Talk about not getting his chance. He had lots of promise in '37 and '38. Mighty impressive speed there.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:36 PM   #27
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Gene Daugherty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Wow! Talk about not getting his chance. He had lots of promise in '37 and '38. Mighty impressive speed there.

I agree. Boston must've had a lot of outfielders they liked better. Alas... we have to move on.

2035 - RP Gene Daugherty (Philadelphia)

This righty was drafted out of high school. He got a fair number of strikeouts with his live arm, but his pitches weren't terribly tricky, so he gave up some hits. He made normal, steady progress through the minors and made his debut for the Phillies in '40. In his first three years ('40-'42), he combined for 17 games, 28 2/3 innings, 14 earned runs, 4 walks, and 23 Ks. He was about ready to take the league by storm. And he did, sort of, in 2043. He was named to the All-Star team - 57 games, 93 1/3 innings, 6-2, 2.31. He had only two saves, so he must have been in a setup role all season. That's pretty much how he pitched the next several seasons, though the ERA went up and down with his proclivity for surrendering gopher balls and such. He went to arbitration after the '45 season, but signed with Atlanta in time for the 2047 season. He made the All-Star team again that season and in '48 helped bring a NL championship to Peachtree Land. Alas, in the '49 season, his control started to slip and he grooved the ball in a few too many times (9 HRs in 36 IP), which sent his ERA to near 5. The Braves decided they could do without him and didn't re-sign him. As of 4/1/50, he remains unsigned. He's asking for over $7 million a year, and even with inflation, he's not worth it. His major league career is about over, but it's been a good one.

Since Daugherty is the first guy that's still active, we get more detail on his career scouting. His peak potential rating was about 89, but he never got that high. His best actual rating came a few years later and was an 83. That's not bad. He's currently rated 73/73, which is major league fringe at best.

Daugherty pitched 399 games in the bigs, all in relief. He was 32-25, 3.28 with 10 saves. He was 1-0, 5.40 in 6 playoff appearances.

NEXT: Toronto takes a pitcher as a streak ends.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:55 PM   #28
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

I'm taking a few days off, so I've posted a poll in the dynasty poll section. It's about your favorite low pick so far.

Actually, this is a good turning point, since the players from here on out are still active in the league(well, actually, Mr. Daugherty is still around, but he really ought to hang it up). Eventually I'll sim to 2070 and catch up with the rest of their careers.

Like a famous politician said, "I'll be back!"
Old 10-28-2009, 11:38 PM   #29
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Juan Aguilar

2037 - P Juan Aguilar (Toronto)

Did you notice the streak? 11 last picks in a row made the majors. The '36 pick didn't make it, so we're skipping ahead to the next year. Anyway, he was drafted out of high school with average stuff for a prospect. The good news is he made the major leagues at 18. The bad news is he pitched 2/3 of an innning, giving up 2 hits, 2 walks, and a wild pitch. That 27.00 ERA was his major league total for a long time. He worked his way back by pitching well in the bush leagues. The Blue Jays had no real need for him, so they included him in a 6-person deal to the Cubs in 2046. The Cubbies immediately stuck him in the starting rotation, and the results weren't too terrible - 5-8, 5.58 in 20 games (18 starts). He improved a little the next season, though he hit the DL twice that season and was demoted to long relief. In '48 he was a run better, primarily because he stopped giving up so many long balls. He went 11-6, .4.59 in 36 games (26 starts). In '49 his ERA was about the same (4.48) but went 3-10 in 17 starts because of the usual factors. He broke his wrist in July of that season, putting paid to his hopes of getting even. As of 4/1/50, he's the Cubs #5 starter. He's drawing the minimum salary, but arbitration is ahead for him. If he doesn't get too greedy, he should have several years as an effective starter or swingman ahead.

Aguilar is currently at 83/83. His highest peak rating was many years ago, back when he was drafted - an 84.

His current career line is 21-27, 5.00 in 105 games (65 starts). He also has 5 career saves.

NEXT: A pitcher who was drafted with the Yankees, but didn't make his debut with them. Where did he go?
Old 10-30-2009, 03:17 PM   #30
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Eric Van Daendels

2039 - P Eric Van Daendels (NY Yankees)

This righty was drafted out of college. No need to go over slot for this one; nobody thought of him as much of a prospect. After a couple of crappy years in rookie ball, he was a throw-in in a trade with Detroit. He pitched better for the Tigers' organization and made it to the big club late in 2046. He was 1-3, 5.66 in 19 games (1 start). He spent the next three years shuttling between Toledo and Detroit. Fortunately it's a short trip. He hasn't improved much and currently finds himself in AAA. I think he'll continue to shuttle unless he improves or gets traded.

Van Daendels' best pitch is a sinker, which gets him a lot of grounders. He has other pitches, but they're mostly for show. He's currently rated 79/81.

His current career line is 7-8, 6.04 with 2 saves in 58 games (9 starts).

NEXT: The beginning of Stage 3.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:52 AM   #31
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Doug Gage

This is the beginning of Phase 3 - players who have not yet made the big leagues, but have not yet retired. I'll give you some data to help you make up your minds on whether these guys will make it to the Hall of Fame or not.

2041 - 1B Doug Gage (Tampa Bay)

This lefty was drafted out of college. He had a reputation as a big bopper with a solid eye. That was less true in college, but it was just good enough to be drafted. He's stalled to the point where he can destroy AA pitching, but remains unproven against the guys in AAA. He hasn't made the majors yet, but he did hit .342/.417/.671 in spring training. He was sent to AAA. He's 29 and with 71/74 ratings, it's not looking good for him to make it.

Gage is a good fielder, for all that matters for a first baseman. He's hopeless at any other position.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:54 AM   #32
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Scott Kingsbury

2042 - OF Scott Kingsbury (Atlanta)

This lefty was drafted out of high school. He had a big senior year, but it seems to have been a fluke that he has failed to match, except for half a year at AA in '48. He's failed to impress at AAA so far, and after an OK spring training (he hit .329), he's been given one more shot at it. His chances of sticking the bigs are slimmer than slim.

Kingsbury has a rocket arm, which helps him at several other positions, but his best one is right field.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:22 AM   #33
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Chris Sebesta

2043 - SS Chris Sebesta (LA Angels)

This righty was drafted out of high school. He was great in his junior year, but lost most of his support during a mediocre senior campaign. He's never shown a consistent bat and was sent out early in spring training. He's been assigned to AA. At 26, it's almost time to look into opportunties in the insurance industry.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:29 AM   #34
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Rudy Kearton

2044 - RP Rudy Kearton (Arizona)

This lefty was drafted out of high school. He pitched very well, but had no endurance, thus limiting interest from scouts. He's moved up steadily on the power of his 95 MPH heater, but a lack of a second pitch limits other teams' interest. He has been a popular figure in the trade column - to Florida in '45, to Minnesota in '48, and to the White Sox this past offseason. He's rated 67/70, but despite that, I think he has a shot to make it. He's only 25, so time is on his side. But he needs to get out of AA first.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #35
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Travis Kurz

2045 - C Travis Kurz (Texas)

This switch hitter was drafted out of college. His hitting wilted when exposed to true professionals. He hasn't made it past AA yet and is currently assigned there. There isn't much here, sorry.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #36
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Chris Mosby

2046 - P Chris Mosby (Texas)

This lefty was drafted out of college. He has command of four pitches, and picked up a fifth this year. None are all that great. He was the teammate of Kurz in '48 and '49, but was traded to Kansas City in the offseason. It looks like he has a better opportunity here, and they've assigned him to AAA. He's at 70/80, and I think he'll get at least a cup of coffee in the bigs. Good luck. I'm rooting for him.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #37
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Pascal Iveson

2047 - OF Pascal Iveson (Texas)

Three in a row for the Rangers, hmmmm... Anyway, this lefty was drafted out of high school. He pinged .459, but most scouts dismissed the competition - or lack thereof. But the Rangers took a flyer. He has some speed and a decent eye. He got an extended look in spring training, but was sent back to A ball. He'll move up eventually, but as a 63/66 has no shot unless he improves substantially and unexpectedly. At 21, don't bet against it.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #38
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Alex Gutierrez

2048 - OF Alex Gutierrez (LA Dodgers)

This switch hitter was drafted out of high school. He hit .400 his senior year with a little pop. He hit decently well at R and A combined last year and has been assigned to AA this season. A decent fielder at all three OF positions and 1B, if he can hit, he'll make it. Still only 21 and rated 59/70, not a real prospect yet, but you never know.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #39
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Carl Brown

2049 - SS Carl Brown (Boston)

The last draft pick, another switch hitter, was taken out of high school. Hit .214/.268/.294 in rookie ball last year and assigned to repeat it this year. Has a long way to go as a hitter and fielder, but just might get there. Rated 54/74.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #40
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

I'd like to thank everyone who responded here and in my poll thread. I'm glad to make everyone's day a little brighter through my works.

Sometime in the next week or two, I'll run the next 20 years to see if any of the currently active players become good major leaguers - or even Hall of Famers.

Be patient.