Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-12-2021, 11:36 AM   #951
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I say just give the Vaccine to Walgreens and CVS. They'll have it distributed in no time.

Possibly but not sure they would have refrigeration needed or the most efficient for mass inoculation. Whenever I've gone to CVS minor medical, the wait has been horrendous because it's just one Nurse or PA. The pharmacies haven't been too bad but still wait while they fill out drive through prescriptions.

But yes, anything to speed things up would be good.

I was thinking setup centralized areas. Mega churches with their mega parking lots, or county convention centers (e.g. where they held my kids HS graduation ceremonies) etc.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:49 AM   #952
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
I say just give the Vaccine to Walgreens and CVS. They'll have it distributed in no time.

I still say Chick-Fil-A.

Or ice cream trucks. I mean, they already have freezers. Just gotta come up with a good COVID jingle.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:49 AM   #953
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Possibly but not sure they would have refrigeration needed or the most efficient for mass inoculation. Whenever I've gone to CVS minor medical, the wait has been horrendous because it's just one Nurse or PA. The pharmacies haven't been too bad but still wait while they fill out drive through prescriptions.

But yes, anything to speed things up would be good.

I was thinking setup centralized areas. Mega churches with their mega parking lots, or county convention centers (e.g. where they held my kids HS graduation ceremonies) etc.

I guess you make frozen food warehouses priority distribution hubs.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:51 AM   #954
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Biden's aggravation is rooted in the rush to build the foundation for an extended inoculation effort, a complex undertaking that includes untangling all manner of bureaucratic obstacles — from staffing issues to technology problems and insurance coverage dilemmas — that the transition had expected to already be well underway, 11 people close to the transition told POLITICO.

Why are we "building the foundation for an extended inoculation effort"? Can't we just add on the foundation that the current administration has put together?

The above is a rhetorical question
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:52 AM   #955
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I still say Chick-Fil-A.

Or ice cream trucks. I mean, they already have freezers. Just gotta come up with a good COVID jingle.

No to Chick-Fil-A

I think people should be able to get a Vaccination on Sundays
Old 01-12-2021, 11:54 AM   #956
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
Why? The asshole in office now is for all purposes or at least he is operating like so.

This is absurd hyperbole. There are literally dozens of examples of things he wanted to do and tried to do and didn't get done because he was told he couldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
The federal government can absolutely fund, staff, and administer vaccine sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64
If Trump could send hospital ships to NYC, I have to believe Biden can mobilize MASH (? field hospitals or whatever they call them now) units to hot spots. Get every trained medic not deployed to key spots and start giving out shots.

Sure, it's possible to do those things, but they take a certain amount of time to set up at scale. To reach the stated goal you need to *average* several hundred thousand per day over the first 100 days at a minimum. Not reach that by the end of the period, average it. Then there's also all the competing beauracracy with state health agencies, hospitals, clinics, etc., all of their protocols, and so on.

I'm not trying to argue the President can't do anything or that Biden can't/won't make an improvement over what we have now. I'm saying he doesn't have the power to just snap his fingers and make this happen. If the reports now are at all accurate about his mindset, he will be very frustrated by what actually happens.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:56 AM   #957
molson
General Manager

Quote:

They're going to setup Disneyland as a "Super Site" for vaccinations.

I think that's the way to go. I mentioned in the other thread I got tested in a hospital parking lot set up for COVID antibody and testing back in May and they were able to process a high volume of tests very efficiently. Just need enough volunteers and staff.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:02 PM   #958
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
This is absurd hyperbole. There are literally dozens of examples of things he wanted to do and tried to do and didn't get done because he was told he couldn't.

Sure, it's possible to do those things, but they take a certain amount of time to set up at scale. To reach the stated goal you need to *average* several hundred thousand per day over the first 100 days at a minimum. Not reach that by the end of the period, average it. Then there's also all the competing beauracracy with state health agencies, hospitals, clinics, etc., all of their protocols, and so on.

I'm not trying to argue the President can't do anything or that Biden can't/won't make an improvement over what we have now. I'm saying he doesn't have the power to just snap his fingers and make this happen. If the reports now are at all accurate about his mindset, he will be very frustrated by what actually happens.

Well the current administration could've done all that but they stonewalled, denied, and dragged their feet.

But hey, that's fine...what's more dead Americans amongst administrations?
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 01-12-2021, 12:03 PM   #959
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:

By the way, thank you, this is the funniest statement on the Trump administration I've ever read.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:06 PM   #960
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot
By the way, thank you, this is the funniest statement on the Trump administration I've ever read.

Also happens to be true. What happened when he wanted ACA replaced? What happened when McGahn refused to fire Mueller like he wanted? There are so many examples of this, so what about this do you find 'funny'? A King would have just commanded they happen and that's the end of it.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 01-12-2021 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:34 PM   #961
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I still say Chick-Fil-A.

Paging Mr. RZA.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:35 PM   #962
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

You first said that Biden wouldn't have the authority.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:43 PM   #963
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Why didn't we have a plan in place to roll out the national guard to set up triage units to administer the vaccine. coordinate with FEMA, CDC, FDA, etc...and have plans in place months in advance.

This vaccine roll out has nothing to do with Trump being told no and everything to do with his administration being a total unorganized shit show.

Last edited by Lathum : 01-12-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:48 PM   #964
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Why didn't we have a plan in place to roll out the national guard to set up triage units to administer the vaccine. coordinate with FEMA, CC, FDA, etc...and have plans in place months in advance.

This vaccine roll out has nothing to do with Trump being told no and everything to do with his administration being a total unorganized shit show.

i think "unorganized" doesn't apply here. "unorganized" signifies that people are actually TRYING and it's going wrong. They are all talk and then don't do anything....and/or REFUSE to do anything and even a step further REFUSE to let people that know what they are doing do anything...at the expense of lives of course.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:25 PM   #965
JPhillips
General Manager

It seems like the fundamental problem is the same as it was for PPE, the idea that the states must control everything. The feds seem to have done a pretty good job of buying and delivering vaccine, but there's no coordination on how to get it into people's arms. That's where a new approach is needed. We've only administered something like a third of the vaccines delivered. We need more places and more hours ASAP.

And what ever happened to the repeated promises that the military would handle this?
Old 01-12-2021, 02:43 PM   #966
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
No to Chick-Fil-A

I think people should be able to get a Vaccination on Sundays

Reminds me, did y'all hear that McDonald's is coming up with a "new" crispy chicken sandwich? Will have to give it a try.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:51 PM   #967
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I agree. Referring back to my original statement

Quote:
FWIW I certainly don't expect smooth sailing from Day 1, there will be inevitable issues, confusion to work out. But there should be plan and then verifiable progress communicated every week vs the information wasteland we have now.

He can "make some things" happen and he can certainly be much more supportive of States.

The States are not blameless. Yeah, Trump should have done better but once the vaccines were in State hands, they own much of the blame. From an article yesterday.

Quote:
To help meet that goal, and speed up vaccination generally, Newsom wants to expand the list of eligible vaccinators to include pharmacists, dentists, and 15 national guard strike teams.

We noticed nursing students weren't on the list.

"We've been in touch with the California Board of Registered Nursing with hopes 30,000 nursing students who are trained and certified to help administer vaccines could help aid the backlog. Would you consider that?" reporter Stephanie Sierra asked.

"Yeah, in fact enthusiastically so," Newsom said. "Our fire agencies and our nursing schools will be essential and critical."

California also wants to open large-scale vaccination sites. The governor said vaccination sites at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, Petco Park in San Diego and Cal Expo in Sacramento should be opening up by the end of the week. He said "many, many more" large sites would follow these three.

This stuff seems pretty basic. Why this wasn't done already shows Newsom's incompetence.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:00 PM   #968
thesloppy
Pro Starter

If I recall a big problem with the PPE process was that even if you could come up with the best plan in the world most of the states are cripplingly broke right now & putting the feds in charge of distribution would have at least removed that chokepoint.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:07 PM   #969
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
If I recall a big problem with the PPE process was that even if you could come up with the best plan in the world most of the states are cripplingly broke right now & putting the feds in charge of distribution would have at least removed that chokepoint.

The US government is arguably broke herself.

State of CA can go into debt to pay for any emergency measures to get vaccination to her citizens. Yeah, money comes into play but I'm putting the majority of blame on Newsome's inadequate planning & response (after the vaccine got there).

With that said, I'm all for Biden and Feds taking more ownership and driving the "last mile".

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-12-2021 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:09 PM   #970
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
i think "unorganized" doesn't apply here. "unorganized" signifies that people are actually TRYING and it's going wrong. They are all talk and then don't do anything....and/or REFUSE to do anything and even a step further REFUSE to let people that know what they are doing do anything...at the expense of lives of course.
There is something this administration excelled at, and that is handing trillions of dollars to major corporations with few to no string attached. The part of Operation Warp Speed that was just throwing money at drug companies they did very well. Actually organizing anything to get the vaccines out? That takes actual work.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:14 PM   #971
GrantDawg

Quote:
The US government is arguably broke herself.

State of CA can go into debt to pay for any emergency measures to get vaccination to her citizens. Yeah, money comes into play but I'm putting the majority of blame on Newsome's inadequate planning & response (after the vaccine got there).

With that said, I'm all for Biden and Feds taking more ownership and driving the "last mile".
States are very limited in the debt they can carry, and some states aren't allowed any debt. With reduced receipts coming in and extra expense caused by the virus, you are asking the over-burden states to carry the load? So, they should reduce funding for schools, police, firefighters and health programs? Is that really the best way to handle this?
Old 01-12-2021, 03:22 PM   #972
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
States are very limited in the debt they can carry, and some states aren't allowed any debt. With reduced receipts coming in and extra expense caused by the virus, you are asking the over-burden states to carry the load? So, they should reduce funding for schools, police, firefighters and health programs? Is that really the best way to handle this?

As the world's 5th largest economy, I think CA can do more. Get creative, have silicon valley chip in with a special tax ... I'm almost positive Google, Apple, FB etc. would be willing to help out.

Re: other less well off states, your point is taken. But does CA really have an excuse?

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-12-2021 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:23 PM   #973
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
You first said that Biden wouldn't have the authority.

Yes I did. Perhaps it wasn't clear that I mean that in reference to the way the states handle the vaccine, state health agencies, etc? It seems clear to me that's where the majority of the action will either happen or not, and that's the area Biden doesn't control.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:36 PM   #974
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
As the world's 5th largest economy, I think CA can do more. Get creative, have silicon valley chip in with a special tax ... I'm almost positive Google, Apple, FB etc. would be willing to help out.

Re: other less well off states, your point is taken. But does CA really have an excuse?

https://taxfoundation.org/2021-state...climate-index/

CA ranks 49th.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:45 PM   #975
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Yes there's also an issue getting people to give the vaccines. California is getting slammed with COVID which means those that should be out giving vaccines are needed in hospitals to treat patients. They've approved an emergency waiver allowing dentists to give vaccine injections to speed things up and other states are taking similar measures. Infinite money from Apple or Google isn't going to create people to give injections though.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:53 PM   #976
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post

CA economy is $3.2T and is bigger than India and just behind Germany.

I'm not sure how the 49th ranking counters my point that if there is one state that does not need Federal assistance, it would be CA (or TX or NY).
Old 01-12-2021, 04:16 PM   #977
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Yes there's also an issue getting people to give the vaccines. California is getting slammed with COVID which means those that should be out giving vaccines are needed in hospitals to treat patients. They've approved an emergency waiver allowing dentists to give vaccine injections to speed things up and other states are taking similar measures. Infinite money from Apple or Google isn't going to create people to give injections though.

We'll agree to disagree.

The approved emergency waiver re: dentists, pharmacists, student nurses etc. was reported in the Jan 11 article I linked above. Why not do that in Dec when States already had some vaccines.

I'm pretty sure "infinite money from Apple or Google is enough to create people to give injections". Newsome may be taking from other States to make things happen but enough money will make things happen with the proper planning and creativity.

A perfect example is the Jan 11 article said Newsome didn't even think of nursing students until questioned by the reporter.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:41 PM   #978
GrantDawg

So are you saying help other states, but fuck California?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2021, 05:52 PM   #979
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
So are you saying help other states, but fuck California?

Nope.

I was clear in saying that (1) States bear responsibility for the "last mile" mess and (2) I am good with Biden and the Feds helping out States more.

My counterpoint was towards those that seem to imply States have no/little responsibility for current "last mile" mess with arguments of not enough budget because they will go into debt (further) or cannot fund schools, police, firefighters, health programs.

The prime example is CA. The 5th largest economy of the world and not being able to find "money" to make things happen in this particular crisis is IMO a poor excuse.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-12-2021 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:56 PM   #980
GrantDawg

I still disagree. There should be an organized concerted effort from the US government that gives equal access to all citizens. No citizens of any state is worth more or less than others.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:14 PM   #981
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I still disagree. There should be an organized concerted effort from the US government that gives equal access to all citizens. No citizens of any state is worth more or less than others.

I honestly don't see where we differ from your above statement. I did not say citizens should not have equal access. My main point is States bear the brunt of the "last mile" fiasco, and that Biden should step in to help out because it's obvious many States can't do a good job.

Interesting and ethical question you bring up. Did you really mean "all citizens" implying non-citizens like permanent residents, legals (e.g. foreign students) and illegals should wait until citizens are done with their shots?
Old 01-12-2021, 08:05 PM   #982
GrantDawg

Yeah, I am not parsing words here.

Old 01-12-2021, 08:07 PM   #983
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, I am not parsing words here.

np
Old 01-13-2021, 10:41 AM   #984
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

There's no way this was actually published!

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:12 PM   #985
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post

California has to fund all the welfare states in the south.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:13 PM   #986
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
California has to fund all the welfare states in the south.

But they don't believe in handouts...
Old 01-13-2021, 06:52 PM   #987
JPhillips
General Manager

Comey thinks Biden should pardon Trump.

Yeah, no.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:36 AM   #988
Edward64
Head Coach

$2T relief package, details this evening.

He's also supposed to give more details on his Covid attack plan this week so big week for big news.

I like how Biden is keeping above the impeachment fray and focused on the other stuff.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/13/polit...age/index.html
Quote:
President-elect Joe Biden is expected to unveil a major Covid-19 relief package on Thursday and his advisers have recently told allies in Congress to expect a price tag in the ballpark of $2 trillion, according to two people briefed on the deliberations.

The Biden team is taking a "shoot for the moon" approach with the package, one lawmaker in close contact with them told CNN, though they added that the price tag could still change. The proposal will include sizable direct payments to American families, significant state and local funding -- including for coronavirus vaccine distribution and other emergency spending measures -- to help those struggling during the pandemic.

Biden is set to announce the details of his plan in Wilmington, Delaware, Thursday evening.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:22 AM   #989
JPhillips
General Manager

Unemployment claims for the week are back up to almost 1 mil. There's definitely a need for a big recovery bill.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:03 AM   #990
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Let's see if he has the votes for another $2T relief package. Joe Manchin is already a "No"
Old 01-14-2021, 09:13 AM   #991
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Let's see if he has the votes for another $2T relief package. Joe Manchin is already a "No"

He might not at this point. And that's OK!

A competent and involved White House will negotiate with the leadership of both parties in Congress. And with individual Senators and Representatives who have issues that they want addressed. And also with folks in Congress that will want to attach pet projects to this "must pass" legislation. And, after negotiations, they will likely come to an agreement that does not give everyone what they want, but that satisfies enough people that it can pass both houses of Congress and get signed by the President.

That's how this shit is supposed to work.

We had 8 years of a congressional GOP that cared more about obstructing President Obama than anything else followed by 4 years of a White House that lacked both the competence and desire to negotiate with Congress.

We've forgotten that things don't need to be that dysfunctional. That give and take and a mix of back room and public negotiations is just the process working.

I'd love to get back to that.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:18 AM   #992
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

A competent and involved White House will negotiate with the leadership of both parties in Congress. And with individual Senators and Representatives who have issues that they want addressed. And also with folks in Congress that will want to attach pet projects to this "must pass" legislation. And, after negotiations, they will likely come to an agreement that does not give everyone what they want, but that satisfies enough people that it can pass both houses of Congress and get signed by the President.

We had 8 years of a congressional GOP that cared more about obstructing President Obama than anything else followed by 4 years of a White House that lacked both the competence and desire to negotiate with Congress.

We've forgotten that things don't need to be that dysfunctional. That give and take and a mix of back room and public negotiations is just the process working.

Yet to be seen if Biden can bring us back to those days but yeah, I'd take that any day over the 8+4 years of dysfunction.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:38 AM   #993
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

You have more faith in Biden negotiating with McConnell than I do.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:47 AM   #994
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Looks like Jamie Harrison is going to be picked to lead the DNC.

(Remember, Stacey Abrams is definitely running to be GA Governor in 2022)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2021, 11:21 AM   #995
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere

Given that some Republicans are on board with it, I don't think they need Manchin. You could even argue that's part of why he's comfortable voting No and having it pass anyway.

Manchin will be important on other issues of course.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:22 AM   #996
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Honest question, what record does he have in terms of organizing and mobilizing?
Old 01-14-2021, 02:24 PM   #997
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

wow, wasn't expecting that. Maybe as Abrams replacement as the Get out the Vote organization she ran? Not sure there was a place for Harrison in SC politics though if he couldn't beat a clearly flawed Graham.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:26 PM   #998
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Honest question, what record does he have in terms of organizing and mobilizing?

Well he lost to Graham, so not great I would say, but the most organized and legitimate Democratic challenge to Graham that I can remember.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:35 PM   #999
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

He knows how to raise a lot of money and lose which should fit right in.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:49 PM   #1000
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I don't get you, Rainmaker. Not long ago you were adamant that Democrats who fought against Republicans in red states should get positions in Biden's Cabinet and DNC. You talked about Beto, Ossoff, even Harrison because they were willing to take on entrenched Republicans even though they lost.

Now you shit on the Democrats doing exactly what you said. It seems highly hypocritical.

For the organizing question, Harrison was chair of the SC Democratic Party for a number of years. He also was in the DNC and started the Every Zip code project which incentivized state Democratic Parties to invest in every part of their states and not just the urban areas.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 01-14-2021 at 02:51 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote